The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Review: The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Bldgs

gita73

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 5, 2007
Author - Steve Berges

This book was recommended to me by Steve O. I have put a lot of credence in this book since it is one of the two books that Steve has based his whole apartment investing process on. And, as you all probably already know, Steve is extremely successful in multi-family property investing.

On with the review...

I think that the author, Steve Berges, takes a nice, systematic approach to explaining the basics of investing in apartment buildings. Furthermore, he explains that to reach your maximum potential in the investment of apartment buildings, one must leverage his strategy of "the value play".

Berges outlines very well all aspects of investing in apartment buildings (how to create value, how to perform the financial analysis when evaluating a property, negotiating and the due diligence process, financing, and on to closing the deal as well as options for your exit strategy). He uses examples from his personal experience to show where it would have been easy to make a mistake (in either the evaluation of a property, negotiating deals, etc.). I found that to be very helpful.

I think if this book missed anything, it was what factors to look for in determining the geographical area you would want to focus on when looking for properties. However, as I understand it, this is the focus of Vollucci's book.

Overall, great book for both someone looking to get into the multi-family property market, as well as an experienced apartment building investor.

On to Vollucci....as soon as amazon decides to deliver it to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Re: Review: The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Bl

I especially like the value play concept. His systematic approach to the due diligence is good as well.

It is amazing how much value can be added to a property with just a bit of knowledge. Thanks for posting this.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Very good book, easy to read. Thanks for posting this review.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

Ive been reading this book, so far so good. Seems very in-depth.

On page 91 Berges recommends the book The Complete Guide to Real Estate Finance: How to Analyze Any Single-Family, Multifamily, or Commercial Property by Hoboken. Anyone's thoughts on this book?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

Just finished this book. I enjoyed his systematic approach to apartments. Many great guidelines to follow within this book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.