The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 2)

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
sometimes you have to think outside of the box a bit. Maybe you can find a relative with an employee discount at, for example, costco. Maybe they have a 10% discount. On top of that, maybe there's a 20% coupon for something over a holiday sale. Maybe there's a deal with 15% OFF all puchases when you sign up for a new store credit card. Sometimes you can stockpile these discounts when opportunities come up. Just a suggestion, that is probably pretty obvious to some, but I noticed it hasn't been mentioned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
but...there's $ to be made there.
Poorly worded. Sorry.

There are clothes there that people want.

I think sometimes the word "Hustle" has a strong connotation of "Me"....meaning it's all about me making money. We must remember it is NOT about 'me'. It is about giving people what they want or need.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There's a Goodwill 'outlet' store near me. I buy everything for $1.00. My markups are insane. I'm working hard to pay for my Meetup trip.

Did you know that Goodwill just sells the stuff you donate to them for profit and keeps the profit? They donate actually donate any money to anyone. Maybe that's why they don't markup alot? I'll have to go inside one and shop to see what their pricing is like.

Their "goodwill" is providing the employees in their stores jobs! Just found out about that a few weeks ago. Now I don't want to donate anymore stuff there.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Did you know that Goodwill just sells the stuff you donate to them for profit and keeps the profit? They donate actually donate any money to anyone. Maybe that's why they don't markup alot? I'll have to go inside one and shop to see what their pricing is like.

Their "goodwill" is providing the employees in their stores jobs! Just found out about that a few weeks ago. Now I don't want to donate anymore stuff there.
They operate as a not-for-profit. They never claim to donate money to anyone. They are an organization that provides job training, job placement services and programs for people with disabilities. Money "raised" via their chain of stores goes to these efforts.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They operate as a not-for-profit. They never claim to donate money to anyone. They are an organization that provides job training, job placement services and programs for people with disabilities. Money "raised" via their chain of stores goes to these efforts.

Yes I always thought they sold the stuff and donated some of its proceeds to charities. I've always hated that a non profit doesn't include salaries.

Like most of these companies that donate profits to charities, they could increase salaries and effectively reduce profits to nothing and never have to donate anything.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@biophase ... yes I do know that. Here, everything is a set price...ie: Men's shirts are $4.99, T-shirt $1.99, Suits $12.00, etc. They have 50% sales once a month. I shop mainly at 2 stores in upscale areas.

The Salvation Army stores are more expensive and they price their inventory according to value....they're good at it here. But....prices are too high to re-sell on Ebay unless I hit their 1/2 off sales...which I do. The upscale areas have very, very nice clothing. ( My wardrobe has been updated :cool: )

Donald Jewell

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 10, 2015
In the industry of marketing, the job of a seller becomes a challenging one and requires lots of knowledge and skills to perform well. But buying is as challenging as selling...it also demands knowledge and skill otherwise any salesman can make you fool and extract the undesired money...
Usually people make decisions being emotional: Generally decision is based on feeling and emotion which you need to understand that you need to tell the intangible benefits to the customer in order to persuade him.

People are self-centered: You need to relate the things being personal and try to answer those queries which have not been yet asked, this will definitely be a wonderful idea to make the deal successful.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
yo, tomorrow is star wars day. get creative with your hustles. buying tix online right now, then selling them for double outside the theater is probably going to be very easy. Might even be worth it to take some of those sold out star wars toys you should have been stockpiling from target to stand with them in your arm outside of the movie theater. a post it note with a price on it will probably suffice.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
If you guys have smartphones, tablets, wearables, etc. that you want to sell quickly with minimal fees check out https://swappa.com/

I sold and shipped a smartphone in less than 24 hours of listing it on there. The only fee you have to pay is the PayPal fee and shipping, however, you can include the cost in the price of course.

P.S. I wonder how DeletedUser394 is doing nowadays. I hope he returns someday...

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You have got to me kidding me that's epic lol. Here in Australia they will tax your a$$ on anything they can. Surprised we aren't taxed for breathing air yet.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I discovered an opportunity after I preordered a textbook for myself.

Preorder Price: $79.95
Retail Price: $150.00

If I buy 15, my expense will be $1199.25 before taxes.
If I sell 15, my revenue will be $2250 before taxes.

So about $1050.75 profit. My only risk is being able to sell them and for the expected retail price.

Where is the best place to sell new textbooks? Amazon?

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 26, 2021
Sorry to bump an old thread, I used to flip electronics back in the day. But these days it looks there is not much profit to be made with electronics anymore. What items are doing good right now? (I live in europe btw).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.