The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 2)

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
I don't think it has been mentioned in either part 1 or 2 of this thread, but there is a GREAT and long running reddit flipping thread that is consistently posted on with a lot of incredibly good ideas for items to flip. I began to compile a list of items to look for from the threads. I would suggest everyone here check it out, especially if you're stuck in a rut.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Flipping/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Karan Jain

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 2, 2015
Sold some language learning audio tapes on the way home. +$100

The first thing anyone should do if they need startup cash is sell as much of your stuff as possible. Seems obvious, but some people are too attached to their crap. It's all mostly meaningless junk.

I'm a minimalist, so I don't have much excess, but that's my next step. Liquidate anything I don't use or can't justify keeping. Only have a few things worth over $100 that I'll be looking to sell. Every bit helps.

Tomorrow I'm acting as middle man for a silver bullion deal. Only worth about $50 in my pocket I think, but it's easy money.

Where can I learn more about this stuff??
I am a newbie and I am starting from scratch.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
Iphone 6s is released on friday people! I have always managed to flip at least 2 or 3 of the newest model within the first month of a phone release. Get cracking on that one.

Tuvo Apps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 6, 2015
I've made my first $1000 thanks to this thread! It was the first money I made myself,
starting with $0 (sold some stuff I alredy had first).

My most profitable strategy has been to post a listing along the lines of "Will buy used smart phones"
and told people not to waste time creating their own listing if they have a phone for sale.

Managed to flip a few S3's this way (when people still bought them a lot) for double the price.

Also the method with emailing lowball offer and waiting for them to come back worked very well.

So all in all, flipping has been a great way to gain intial monumentum.
Easier to move to more fastlane venture (at least for me).

@smartman There is definitely potential with the 6S. I never flipped the newest models,
how do you get good deals on them?

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
I don't have any secret on getting good deals on them. I hammer craigslist with offers. Usually will put out a "want to buy the ___ model phone, have cash now." or the never popular "I will buy your upgrade" Although those usually result in some pretty awful experiences with shitty people. You've got to realize the phone game is kind of gnarly, and some times the things people are going to be using the money for isn't exactly cookies and stickers. If you can hang, do your due diligence, and have some street smarts, you can make this hustle profitable for a short time. I've stepped back considerably from selling phones, as it is exhausting. I've certainly had a few people show up with the intent on mugging me, and leaving when I got out of the car. (I don't look like the kind of person you want to mug). I don't need that shit in my life any more.

Tuvo Apps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 6, 2015
Yeah, dealing with these people is one of the reasons I stopped with flipping phones.
You can also meet some interesting/successful people though, it happened to me once I moved on to a little higher ticket items.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

Just a heads up.

A common tactic used by buyers is to ask for a lower price once they show up. This is a good strategy to use when you are buying, but a bad way to eat into your profit when you are doing the selling.

For example, back in the day let's say I was selling an item for $175. Well, I meet the buyer and he/she asks if I would take $150? Back then I would have said yes, fearing that I'd lose the sale.

Fast forward to nowadays. The answer to the question is always 'No.' Just that. No reason, no justification. Just 'no'. One time a guy pretended he brought the wrong amount of money. My response? 'No.'... and guess what, magically he found the missing money to pay me in full! ;)

Same thing happened five minutes ago. Guy asks if he can have it for slightly less.. my answer was no... so he went to a bank machine and got me my money.

Embrace the word 'no'. Become one with it. Stop worrying that you'll lose a sale. Sometimes you will lose the sale. But over time you'll come out on top.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
To elaborate on what @GrumpyCat said, I feel it's more important HOW you say no rather than just saying it. If you seem hesitant or to be thinking about it, a switched on buyer is likely to really push for the reduction, possibly to the point of walking away, even if they can afford more. An experienced buyer will pick up on this and attempt to maximize their own gain. If your 'No' is immediate and confident, it gives the buyer the impression that there's no wiggle room.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
A a 72 serving container of mint chocolate whey protein powder that has never been used, besides it being open to then me realizing it was mint

So i have never even scooped it or anything

I am contemplating just selling it for $25 but my fear is having to deal with liability of someone trying to pull the "you put something in there to kill me" type of crap

Any thoughts on selling protein powder that has been opened but never used?

edit: posted the ad will report if it sells

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Uhhhh, would people buy an edible item that is already opened from a stranger? Let us know how that goes.

A good way to buy stuff cheap on places like eBay is to look for spelling mistakes. Something I used to do. I would search for expensive NES games and would call it "Conrta" instead of Contra, see what comes up. Just search your item and mix up a few letters. Those misspells won't get any bids on them because no one sees them. Buy for cheap and turn around and sell it for a lot. Not really worth my time to do little things like this anymore, but I used to make a few thousand bucks a year doing this when I was younger.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
sell the powder locally on craigslist. won't have any problems. The people that buy protein powder are typically more concerned with getting a deal, than scamming. I've sold opened supplements before and never had a problem.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
sell the powder locally on craigslist. won't have any problems. The people that buy protein powder are typically more concerned with getting a deal, than scamming. I've sold opened supplements before and never had a problem.
I got a phone call earlier which i assume was regarding the ad because the number was from the town over, accidentally missed there call, havent been able to get ahold of them

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Uhhhh, would people buy an edible item that is already opened from a stranger? Let us know how that goes.

A good way to buy stuff cheap on places like eBay is to look for spelling mistakes. Something I used to do. I would search for expensive NES games and would call it "Conrta" instead of Contra, see what comes up. Just search your item and mix up a few letters. Those misspells won't get any bids on them because no one sees them. Buy for cheap and turn around and sell it for a lot. Not really worth my time to do little things like this anymore, but I used to make a few thousand bucks a year doing this when I was younger.
Guess whos selling the protein powder this Tuesday?

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Now I need to list 14 books on ebay & craigslist

This will be a bit time consuming, as i will have to take separate photos for ebay

TSp7NXH.jpg

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
you don't have to take pics for amazon. just rate the condition fairly.

HighestVantage

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 13, 2014
Ukiah, CA
Also, if you scan the isbn bar codes it could populate the page with a photo is the book is newer. I was doing the same thing the other day and noticed some items would automatically have a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeezy888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 3, 2015
Germany , Essen
Guys, Im completely new in this forum. Im 19 Years old, all my life, I always dreamed about becoming an entrepreneur. Now since i turned 18 last Year, i searched for solutions, but didnt find one. Today i found this forum, and man i have to say big compliment for all those information and hard work.

I read the complete thread, but coulnd't really get it. I Live in Germany, we do have craigslist but it's really empty, not much offers.

Is it still possible to do this method ?

If Yes, where can I buy and where should I sell it ?

Is amazon a good option ? Or Ebay ?

Is ist a good method to put the offer Online even before you own the obeject ? So you wait until someone buys it online, and then you buy the Item and sell it ?

This way it would be a good way to make no loss ,right ?

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
Guys, Im completely new in this forum. Im 19 Years old, all my life, I always dreamed about becoming an entrepreneur. Now since i turned 18 last Year, i searched for solutions, but didnt find one. Today i found this forum, and man i have to say big compliment for all those information and hard work.

I read the complete thread, but coulnd't really get it. I Live in Germany, we do have craigslist but it's really empty, not much offers.

Is ist a good method to put the offer Online even before you own the obeject ? So you wait until someone buys it online, and then you buy the Item and sell it ?

The idea is quite simple. You buy things cheap, then sell them for more. You can do this with anything, and you can buy from anywhere. You can also sell anywhere and any way you like.

I wouldn't recommend listing things you haven't bought. What if you get a sale, but can't buy the item at a good enough price?

When you're hustling like in this thread, there can be a lot of negotiating on the deals - when you buy, and also when you sell. It's much more important when you're buying though.

Being as you're new to it, start small and experiment. See if you can buy something cheaper than it's listed. When you can do this, you will be able to make small flips.

My experience isn't so high with those kind of deals, I find it takes quite long to get a good deal and can earn more using that time for other things.

My recommendation for all hustlers - just look/listen out for good deals. People often sell things under-value because they either a) can't sell all the items (lack of customers), b) don't want the hassle of making multiple sales, or selling all day, and c) don't know the right customers to sell these items too.

These are the main types of gaps I have filled to earn money hustling. Think openly and creatively, there are always options out there!

PS - Amazon/Ebay aren't the best places to sell when you're hustling. Their % will eat your profits. Sell in person as much as you can, and use sites like craigslist and gumtree which are much cheaper options. Customers on amazon/ebay are also more tech-savvy, so they can shop around for low prices etc too.

G

GuestUser140

Do this for testing demand only. Tell interested people that it has already sold.

Never sell something you don't have. Stress, worry, it's not worth it. You'll go out there and do it anyway, but you'll come back and realize I'm right.

You're an entrepreneur. You solve problems, help people and will become financially free if you do it right.

With this in mind, I'm sure you can think of a website in Germany where people buy and sell their used goods.

I read the complete thread,
Read it again... but more importantly: take action! Buy something and sell it! Sell something you don't need. Take good pictures, learn to write good descriptions. Put yourself in the buyers' position and assess if you'd buy seeing your own ad.

Great success!

Yeezy888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 3, 2015
Germany , Essen
Do this for testing demand only. Tell interested people that it has already sold.

Never sell something you don't have. Stress, worry, it's not worth it. You'll go out there and do it anyway, but you'll come back and realize I'm right.

You're an entrepreneur. You solve problems, help people and will become financially free if you do it right.

With this in mind, I'm sure you can think of a website in Germany where people buy and sell their used goods.

Read it again... but more importantly: take action! Buy something and sell it! Sell something you don't need. Take good pictures, learn to write good descriptions. Put yourself in the buyers' position and assess if you'd buy seeing your own ad.

Great success!
Do you guys use programms to find cheap products or do you just type it in , in google?

Another question i have is do you guys buy at fleamarkets ? Because there mostly people selling cheap stuff because they need money right ?

D

DeletedUser394

Glad you're here and want to make money. Ok, here goes. I'm going to blow your mind.

I don't speak German. But I know how to utilize google.

With an internet connection you can do anything.

http://www.quoka.de/
http://www.alles.de/region.cfm
http://www.markt.de/

You will lose money. It happens, it's part of figuring out what works and what doesn't work. Set aside money that you can afford to lose, buy some stuff that you think you can sell (by doing your own research) and list the items. Then see what happens. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. If it doesn't work, try another angle, or try something else. Repeat, rinse and repeat, and repeat again until you find what works.

Also, use google. Always use google. I pray to google every night before bed.

D

DeletedUser394

Guys when i put something on ebay it doesnt appear on the list. How can i manage it to be on the first page at the top ?

No offence, but you really have to do your own research. It isn't hard when you have the most powerful tool in the world at your own finger tips. (the internet).

All I did was take your entire question and put it into google. It took me longer to type out this two sentence post, than to find the answer to your question. Ask less, figure out more.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...-lift-up-your-item-to-the-first-page.2176420/

Clinton Larson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 24, 2015
No offence, but you really have to do your own research. It isn't hard when you have the most powerful tool in the world at your own finger tips. (the internet).

All I did was take your entire question and put it into google. It took me longer to type out this two sentence post, than to find the answer to your question. Ask less, figure out more.

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...-lift-up-your-item-to-the-first-page.2176420/

Here's another, How To Reach The #1 Spot On eBay!

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
well, it is crunch time for flippers. Who's doing what? don't get lazy on me now.

I had a catastrophic failure over thanksgiving with the Patti Labelle potato pie craze. I found a walmart down the road that had them in stock. I made a listing on ebay for them, then drove out to go buy them that afternoon. I assumed that walmart's website would be accurate considering, you know, they are a 100 billion dollar company. That was my first mistake. I got to the walmart and they were sold out. I hit the phones, cancelled my ebay auction after only one sale, and hit the laptop. Came up completely empty. I had hoped to find someone on ebay selling the pies for less than I charged, so I could make some money off of it, but I have a responsibility to my ebay customers to provide great service, so I bit the bullet and lost a few dollars buying the pies and having them drop shipped by a reputable and friendly seller. Couple of good lessons there. I'm probably too stupid to learn the most glaring ones though. Ha.

I found some great intel on a few holiday sales at pharmacies of all places(rite aid, etc) on star wars toys. Havent made much, but after dec 18th, when the movie drops and star wars mania is in full effect. Gripped a few of those mario amiibo things that I don't understand, but my nephew said I can flip. It is unbelievable what those retailers will do to get their shelf space opened up, while good products that sell online get slashed in half.

As I posted in some previous posts, I was getting frustrated with the dead ends on craigslist, so instead of smashing my face off my laptop with no progress I decided to read some blogs about hustling to get a new perspective. Realized that the simplest source is sometimes the best. I returned to hitting goodwills and the sort. Have had a lot of good luck. Toner cartridges, nerf guns and concert shirts. The upside to all of this is that my gf loves going thrift shopping, so I get to spend some time with her while I'm grinding it out. I kind of enjoy getting my family involved in this, just for the simple fact that it gives us something to talk about other than how crazy ____ relative is.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
There's a Goodwill 'outlet' store near me. I buy everything for $1.00. My markups are insane. I'm working hard to pay for my Meetup trip.

I don't know why, but your user name reminds me of Al Bundy?

latest

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
There's a Goodwill 'outlet' store near me. I buy everything for $1.00. My markups are insane. I'm working hard to pay for my Meetup trip.
I am mad jealous, my local goodwill knows the game and has EVERYTHING marked up

Many used items are going for close to the "new" price

+ every person in there (the times I have been there) all have been checking prices on their phones for resell purposes anyways

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@BlakeIC .... the Salvation Army stores here mark theirs up. The only time I shop there are on 50% off sales which are only on the major holidays which is a pain in the a$$, but they have really good stuff.

The Clearance store I shop at is in Detroit...a not so nice part either. All the clothes are piled on 20 ft long tables and I rummage through them. It sucks and the shoppers are not exactly from my neighborhood....but...there's $ to be made there.

My Sister-in-Law buys at Costco and resells on her Ebay store. She's very hush hush about it and won't give me any info but she slipped and mentioned the Costco she buys from. I never shop that one and different stores carry different inventory.

As far as the people searching on their phones as they shop....I see that too. I just fill my cart and figure out what I want to keep just before I check out. I'm buying...they're researching.

Keep looking for opportunities. I didn't find this Goodwill outlet until a month ago.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
@BlakeIC .... the Salvation Army stores here mark theirs up. The only time I shop there are on 50% off sales which are only on the major holidays which is a pain in the a$$, but they have really good stuff.

The Clearance store I shop at is in Detroit...a not so nice part either. All the clothes are piled on 20 ft long tables and I rummage through them. It sucks and the shoppers are not exactly from my neighborhood....but...there's $ to be made there.

My Sister-in-Law buys at Costco and resells on her Ebay store. She's very hush hush about it and won't give me any info but she slipped and mentioned the Costco she buys from. I never shop that one and different stores carry different inventory.

As far as the people searching on their phones as they shop....I see that too. I just fill my cart and figure out what I want to keep just before I check out. I'm buying...they're researching.

Keep looking for opportunities. I didn't find this Goodwill outlet until a month ago.
Well with costco at least in my state sell the same items generally as the other costcos (I only know because I have quite a bit of family who work within costco structure)

I can't say 100% for Michigan though,

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.