The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reading is slowlane

airwalk111

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 22, 2017
Missouri, United States
I see a lot of readers and reading threads on the forums. Guess what? Reading is slowlane. Why? Because it's an easy trap that makes you think you're accomplishing something.

You should read because you have problems within your daily fastlane actions, period. You're searching for an answer to an execution problem, not searching for the next rush of enlightenment that leads to no action.

So to all of you reading books right now, put it down and start executing.
It is good to know that I should not be spending my time reading useless articles and books, but what about the books that are meant for teaching a subject? I can learn a lot from reading these books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
It is good to know that I should not be spending my time reading useless articles and books, but what about the books that are meant for teaching a subject? I can learn a lot from reading these books.

Everyone learns today, learning is great but life is short, get to the doing.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Life is short - get to doing...good point.

I like reading and I make money to have a good life, part of that good life is being able to take time out to read something that interests or fascinates me. Or to do other things I like It's a pleasure. It might not be doing while I'm reading but often (for me) it's the pre-cursor to doing. So I'm pro-reading as long as it doesn't interfere too much with doing.

HYMNic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 1, 2017
Singapore
I am not sure entirely but being too focused on a singular subject and disregarding all else that doesn't apply to it might instead make you dull?

Am curious about everyone else's position on fiction books too.

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
I am not sure entirely but being too focused on a singular subject and disregarding all else that doesn't apply to it might instead make you dull?

I'm passionated by reading financial and personnal devlopment books, but sometimes I read fiction book (Polar, esoteric, or fantastic, or science fiction)... it's give air to my brain and expand my imagination in general.

As 458 says, Reading is a learning tool for succes but never replace action, but It's also can be a real pleasure.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Listening to audiobooks while cooking for example is definitely not useless. Reading for motivation is not useless. Reading to advance in your spirituality is definitely not useless.

But we have to take action like 90% of our day indeed.

The most financially succesful people (like waaren buffet and bill gates) read.
If you want to be like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, adopt their voracious reading habits

this is a REMINDURR that its not about getting financially independent, its about Knawledge... lol it doesn't get old for me

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
There is a difference between reading and educating yourself.

Edit:
[...]rich people (those with an annual income of $160,000 or more and a liquid net worth of $3.2 million-plus) read for self-improvement, education, and success. Meanwhile, poor people (those with an annual income of $35,000 or less and a liquid net worth of $5,000 or less) read primarily to be entertained.

Last edited:

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014

Nothing wrong with reading fiction and literature. It opens your mind to new possibilities, and it's fun. Reading a good story is a great way to unwind.

Look. I get what the OP is trying to say, that reading the next great idea isn't going to "do it" for you. Reading another guru's book isn't doing, it's stalling. That said the statement that "reading is slowlane" is absolute crap. Reading is a mental activity like no other. Reading can make you smarter. Mankind's ability to record what we have learned so that the next can come along and start where the last finished is why we as a species are living the benefits of knowledge accumulated over more than one life time. Reading is an intellectual pursuit. Watching sit-com's and tv drama is "slow lane." Looking at gifs of dancing kitties is stupid. Millions of morons are glued to their smartphones, and reading is what you want to harp on? Please.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
I have encouraged people that work for me to be voracious consumers of anything and everything written about business, about industry, and about their interests.

Reading expands your intelligence.

In the interest of full disclosure, my daughter who many of you heard on our Podcasts is in the final stages of her Masters in Library Science.

I think reading and applying your learned knowledge to new paradigms is the only way to change lanes. Becoming an intelligent consumer of media is a requirement for personal development and advancement.
What's the name of your podcast?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What's the name of your podcast?

It's defunct now but on the backburner for a relaunch when I have time to rustle up some advertisers. I will post if/when we get it back up. - Dave

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One of the most common things here at the forum in our new member introductions is this...

Just read TMF , it was great! What's the next book I should read?

Hmmm... if "what do I read next?" is your default response after reading TMF , you have failed at comprehending TMFs meaning, and I have failed as an author in delivering it.

Just some food for thought...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Hmmm... if "what do I read next?" is your default response after reading TMF , you have failed at comprehending TMFs meaning, and I have failed as an author in delivering it.

The dark side conditioning is so strong it may take a while to break. I just finished TMF for 2nd time, and I can definitely tell a lot of the old outlook crept back in during the last 6 mos.

I got the book and joined the forum a full 2 years I think before I actually finished the book. It took a lot of personal pain and disgust to make it all the way back round. Life can break a person's conditioning in a way that a book or internet forum can't. Unfortunately that's what's necessary for some people. At least it was/is for me.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Can't say it's slowlane but I totally get your point.

A quick example: @ddall has a great thread about his ecomm growth, and in there you'll find a ton of action taking and a ton of books he's read. I believe that both are vitally important (theory and practice). Sometimes you read an idea that you would have never encountered unless you read that book.

Hard to say how much reading is right or wrong though.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
One of the most common things here at the forum in our new member introductions is this...

Just read TMF , it was great! What's the next book I should read?

Just some food for thought...

But in the book it's said that, "the fact is, most people-whether they agree with Fastlane strategy or not- will do nothing with the information.

"It's one thing to possess the treasure map; it's another to get out of the house and follow it."

In my opinion it's 100% comprehension failure.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
I'm passionated by reading financial and personnal devlopment books, but sometimes I read fiction book (Polar, esoteric, or fantastic, or science fiction)... it's give air to my brain and expand my imagination in general.

As 458 says, Reading is a learning tool for succes but never replace action, but It's also can be a real pleasure.

I wonder how many folks putting down reading, literally can't focus enough TO read without their mind wandering or falling asleep as well? No wonder they want to put it down:)

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Listening to audiobooks while cooking for example is definitely not useless. Reading for motivation is not useless. Reading to advance in your spirituality is definitely not useless.

But we have to take action like 90% of our day indeed.

The most financially succesful people (like waaren buffet and bill gates) read.
If you want to be like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, adopt their voracious reading habits

this is a REMINDURR that its not about getting financially independent, its about Knawledge... lol it doesn't get old for me

a person can literally COMBINE something they hate to do, ie cleaning, with something that is positive IE An audiobook they know could help them, or make the habit they have to do stick... and do both together. Sorry but that IS FASTLANE to me in method

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
I wonder how many folks putting down reading, literally can't focus enough TO read without their mind wandering or falling asleep as well? No wonder they want to put it down:)
I wonder too, but at the start of my reader life (7yr ago) I was in this case... Sometimes, READING, I talk about REAL READING with Focusing and absorbing what's on, need determination :)

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I think Mark Cuban said he reads 3 hours per day. But he doesn't read motivational books on self-improvement. He reads magazines in his industry, user manuals, etc. He reads the boring shit nobody else does to stay updated on technology and advancements in his line of work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
I get your point, but I don´t think reading is a slowlane thing to do. Reading can be a very powerful thing that allows you to learn from successful people and see that if someone else has made it you can also make it. I quit my job after reading a ton of books for several months and I have no regrets (despite the fact I don´t have a successful business yet)

I think you have to put it into context and link it to the other things you do to. If a guy reads an hour a day and works like a mad man 10 hours a day (coding, cold calling or whatever) he is definitely not losing his time.

I once heard Mark Cuban say he reads 3 hours a day, because one good idea from a book or magazine can pay several times the price of whatever it is he is reading. But I´ve also heard him say he works or has worked 16 hours a day for several years,

Having said that its true reading is dangerous because it gives you a sense of accomplishment and comfort that might lead you to think you are actually moving forward. But again, If you are serious about making it, I think you will sooner or later realize what and when you have to read and when you have to put in the work that enables you to move forward.

Torobaro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 30, 2016
Spain
I think Mark Cuban said he reads 3 hours per day. But he doesn't read motivational books on self-improvement. He reads magazines in his industry, user manuals, etc. He reads the boring shit nobody else does to stay updated on technology and advancements in his line of work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just said the same thing!

I might be wrong but in the beginning of his book he says he does reads motivational books. He says something like "reading all the books about successful people he could grab", and yes also all the boring shit you mention also

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
I see a lot of readers and reading threads on the forums. Guess what? Reading is slowlane. Why? Because it's an easy trap that makes you think you're accomplishing something.

You should read because you have problems within your daily fastlane actions, period. You're searching for an answer to an execution problem, not searching for the next rush of enlightenment that leads to no action.

So to all of you reading books right now, put it down and start executing.
Like most things it's moderation and balance. Reading is good for feeding your mind. Personally I read before I sleep, thats it

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Like most things it's moderation and balance. Reading is good for feeding your mind. Personally I read before I sleep, thats it
But on the back of that, Warren Buffet read 5 hours a day; everything and anything he could on Investing from age 10ish (can't remember) to 19.

Dylan42

Big D
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 3, 2016
Houston, TX
I can agree with this if you're talking in the sense that people are using reading as a tool where they think they are taking "action" but are really just stalling. Maybe without even realizing they do it. Reading is a good thing, you can learn a lot, and it may help to relax. But if you are reading so much and pushing of your goals... Things you say you are going to do once you finish that last book, is it really helping you?

Like everyone always says actions need to be taken in order to grow and learn. Reading can only take you so far and that will barely even make you scratch the surface of where you want to go.

I used to watch and learn a lot from a man named Elliott Hulse on YouTube. He actually has a great video on this topic that is about 15 minutes long. He uses comparisons to dieting and weight training because that is what he built his business around. But he really goes into detail about how people are way to focused on information consumption.

beaskew88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 8, 2017
Detroit, Michigan
Reading is alright if you're using it to get the edge on competition. Reading about emerging social media platforms or finances is a dope thing.

If you're reading materials for coaching and mindset, you shouldn't be reading those at all. It's time lost, since there is a 90% chance that there is an audiobook version that you could be listening to instead. That way whenever you're settled you can spend that time executing or even listen to the content while executing your business.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

johhngalt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Mar 7, 2017
Philippines
Well I may have to disagree with the OP that reading is a slowlane.
I think it's fastlane because it is a powerful tool to "Sharpen the Saw",
which gives you a possible advantage over your competition.

I once read/heard a quote that says, "Knowing is half the battle."
I think, what it says here is that knowing(i.e reading)
is only a part of something bigger. The other part is Action(i.e Execution).
Both are essential to succeed in any undertaking.
They are just the two sides of the same coin.

I also want to share this quote from Mark Twain,
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Let me clarify what I am saying, everyone on here should only read inside the pool, AFTER jumping in. Reading will never take away that feeling of taking the first step, I don't care how many books you read, it's impossible. That's how it's possible for people to get rich in America with a 3rd grade education, there all action, all they know is hustle.

Siberia

Surprise
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Apr 30, 2016
Siberia
The BRAIN works for ASSOCIATIONS, brain thinking process takes place automatically and independently of our will '.

And this whether you like it or not.

Either you are a person with a life of a variety 'and intensity' special or otherwise you have to provide the opportunity 'to activate this process.

You can not just PENETRATE with sustained action but you have also ACCOMMODATE.

Most of INSIGHTS, of which we are in constant search, they arrive automatically for ASSOCIATION of ideas, opinions, images, themes, details.

This KNOW HOW it 's never enough !!!

Unless you are a LEGEND or the personification of chimera the so-called "ALWAYS ON".

Reading in the FastLane process 'an energy recharge, information and associations, the food for our UNCONSCIOUS that the switches in the so-called CREATIVITY' and you will not let us feel alone. Reading and 'an energy recovery break unconscious that increases your chances' in the making.

The behavior, as you call it, of reading to get the theoretical sense of doing something, not 'the real basic action of FastLane process, and' something quite different and easy to correct.

The READING is SlowLane when you read the things right ............ but if you read "THE RIGHT THINGS and 'FASTLANE".

Last edited:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Aug 2, 2013
Funny coincidence.. I came on tmf just now to look for a good book to read and this thread was in the top results! Ha..

Though I ageee that constant reading and no action is slow lane, for constant action-takers I feel it only enhances what you do.

One major area is health and nutrition.. the amount of garbage that you hear on TV and advertisements, friends who have no idea what they're talking about and food packages claiming they're healthy is a huge misconception. Reading has elevated my health about nutrition and healthy practices, which in turn effects my brain and overall performance which I believe creates better ability to propel any fastlane venture.

Also, on the topic of learning from those better than you-- on almost any subject I find it helpful to have someone WAY more successful at the topic tell me how it's done rather than listen to the constant barrage of advice from those less successful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.