The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Anyone else tempted to Yolo on Alibaba stock at this point? I’m not going to, but I’m sure I’ll look back on this post in a year and wish I had the balls.
No, Ali-pay is the name of the game for this company and the government of China is coming out with their own payment system. How long before Ali-pay is history?

Remind me a year from now, let’s see who was right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Simple factual note: If a company ever uses the words "Better" (Better Mortgage) or "Honest" (Honest Electricians) in their name, they are anything but better or honest, actually expect the exact opposite: Worst and dishonest.

“Honest company” diapers… You can barely call them diapers. LOL

I bet they are a certified “B Corporation.” I need to boycott that entire list of virtue signaling communist companies.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

No, Ali-pay is the name of the game for this company and the government of China is coming out with their own payment system. How long before Ali-pay is history?

Remind me a year from now, let’s see who was right.
I figured alibaba and the Chinese government were already pretty closely tied to one another.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I figured alibaba and the Chinese government were already pretty closely tied to one another.
Jack Ma did a few little things to piss off the powers that be…The Ma empire is worth half what it was 9 months ago.
The process is not over. Beijing is now doling out some of the most lucrative slices of Ma’s business to new “partners” of its choosing. Ma’s assets have been stripped, shorn, and degraded (“rectified” is the English word often given as the translation for whatever verb in Chinese describes what Beijing is doing to his businesses).

Edit: in a twisted way, being that Ma is getting f**ed, you are right, they are as close as it can get just not in a good way. Ouch…

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Jack Ma did a few little things to piss off the powers that be…The Ma empire is worth half what it was 9 months ago.
The process is not over. Beijing is now doling out some of the most lucrative slices of Ma’s business to new “partners” of its choosing. Ma’s assets have been stripped, shorn, and degraded (“rectified” is the English word often given as the translation for whatever verb in Chinese describes what Beijing is doing to his businesses).
So basically, it IS becoming even moreso the government of China’s corporation.

Sounds pretty awful to me.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
So basically, it IS becoming even moreso the government of China’s corporation.

Sounds pretty awful to me.
My read of it is not a takeover by the government, but a slice and dice situation. In short, I wouldn’t invest.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

My read of it is not a takeover by the government, but a slice and dice situation. In short, I wouldn’t invest.
It will probably still be highly valuable under the umbrella of China, Inc.

And I would say the government slicing up the company and selling it to their political buddies is not much different than a government takeover.

Either way, it’s not capitalism, it’s not property rights, and it is corrupt...

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Property rights in China doesn’t exist, especially real estate - all owned by the state. Citizens lease the property over long term. But there is zero ownership.

Yet, when the government needs your property for infrastructure projects (like road expansions), they treat current “owners” amazingly well. Instead of fair market value, you often get a lot more than that.

And by being selective in their generosity, the country avoids a revolution!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is this a random post or is there a story behind this? :rofl:

Yes, but I'll have to leave that story to a later date and behind the INSIDERS pay wall.

Property rights in China doesn’t exist, especially real estate - all owned by the state. Citizens lease the property over long term. But there is zero ownership.

How is this any different than the US? We simply have one extra level built in with pseudo ownership, just as long as you pay the property taxes, aka, rent.

The state owns everything by virtue of property taxes (your rent fee, no matter how much you owe/don't owe on the property). The only difference between the US and China is semantics, and that our one extra level gives us more rights in the perceived ownership, like becoming a landlord, on top your tenantship from the state.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone have an e-bike?

I rode one recently and they are amazing. Looking at getting a pair of e mountain bikes now.
I got a pair of Specialized Turbo Levo’s. They are great alternative for my “rest” days. I can’t be climbing mountains everyday anymore!

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Not C0VlD or Vax related, but I've done it again. Another 3060, 3070ti and 3080ti to install tonight. Next week I might get my hands on 8x 3060ti cards
Where do you even get these? Here they're all 3x MSRP...if you manage to find one :happy:

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Where do you even get these? Here they're all 3x MSRP...if manage to find one :happy:
I know, it’s like voodoo magic. He tells me all about it and his madness is still impossible to replicate.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I know, it’s like voodoo magic. He tells me all about it and his madness is still impossible to replicate.
I know right. What kind of dark magic is that? Finding THREE new GPUs at once?

Here's a not so fun GPU story.

Around the end of June my GPU wasn't working properly. My PC would turn off under heavy load (codeword for: I was playing videogames). I was desperate because finding a replacement was out of the question.

At first I thought the thermal paste dried up. But during testing the GPU never went over 75°C under max load, which is well within the safe temps.

I was so confused, because everything else seemed to work fine. I had cleaned my PC somewhat recently too, so dust being the culprit was out of the question.

The PC would stay on for hours at time, it's only when I was gaming that it'd turn off.

So I opened it (I built the PC myself), and discovered the horror.

My GPU is a 1660TI I bought new in 2019. It has a 6+2 pins connector to the PSU. The 2 pins connector was loose.

What happened was that when the GPU needed more power to sustain the increase in workload, it wouldn't get enough. The PC then shut down as a safety measure, because it thought there was not enough power.

Those were a scary couple of days. I have a laptop in case this PC gives up, but the warranty on the GPU was almost over, and finding a new one would be impossible for a while. At least, one at a reasonable price.

I need my videogames.

D

Deleted70138

Simple factual note: If a company ever uses the words "Better" (Better Mortgage) or "Honest" (Honest Electricians) in their name, they are anything but better or honest, actually expect the exact opposite: Worst and dishonest.
Those two words together can create a word: EBITDA

I use ctrl + F for searching "EBITDA" in annual reports, so I don't have to waste my time reading those ones.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Closed on a property recently and get a call from the Assessment Office that left a message:
“hi I’m Sarah ___ from BC Assessment Office. If you want to give me a call back at ___,___. Thanks”

some people really suck at trying to get a call back! No, I don’t want to give you a call. YOU wanted to reach me.

This “if you want to call me back” message happens often. Is there some “shitty phone skills” school that these people go to?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

I've always thought it would be fun to open a service business with a name like "Absolutely Terrible Home Services," or even "Horrible Spitting Jerks Steam Cleaning" or something, just over the top. A few times I've seen restaurants with "surly service" or "grumpy waitresses" in the description, and I'm always compelled to visit.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've always thought it would be fun to open a service business with a name like "Absolutely Terrible Home Services," or even "Horrible Spitting Jerks Steam Cleaning" or something, just over the top. A few times I've seen restaurants with "surly service" or "grumpy waitresses" in the description, and I'm always compelled to visit.
I used to walk past a hair-dressers in London called “It’ll Grow Back”.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Anyone else tempted to Yolo on Alibaba stock at this point? I’m not going to, but I’m sure I’ll look back on this post in a year and wish I had the balls.

More tempted to go all in buying puts on US society…and as homage to you, LEAPS on boot rubber

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
More tempted to go all in buying puts on US society…and as homage to you, LEAPS on boot rubber
Are those tradeable derivatives yet? I am sure Grayscale is working on it.

theresgot2bemore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 20, 2016
Anywhere w/freedom
Hopefully when all this blows over we get some sensibility. The police will still be needed of course because there are still some irrational and rough people out there and I suppose in my area I did not consider that as reason why they are the way they are. I have visited other areas of the country in the US and the police there are far more chill. I suppose this is where the disconnect happens. I don't think they will turn all JBT as some would say.

Not sure how things will pan out going into the next year of course so let's see how it goes for society.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
B0962027-EFD9-49E1-B724-B2639C5C157F.jpeg

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
PSA: there is no new test for the “delta variant.”

It’s the same test.
Are you sure? I heard the delta variant is kinder towards PCR tests, and the delta plus even more so.

You should really trust the science state.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
We keep hearing about "fair share" when it comes to the "rich" paying more taxes, but can you imagine the outrage if politicians demanded a "fair share" of productivity from their citizens? :rofl: :rofl:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Anyone have an e-bike?

I rode one recently and they are amazing. Looking at getting a pair of e mountain bikes now.

I just bought one (RadMini) after realizing that (1) my town actually has solid bike infrastructure and (2) 99% of my trips are less than 10 miles, yet I drive everywhere. Makes no sense. Can't wait for it to arrive!

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I've come up with a simple rule that's made a HUGE difference in mood.

"If it can be done outside, it HAS to be done outside."

The past few days have been nothing but loads of walking, fresh air, and sunlight.
Got a few 'offices' (cafes, parks, etc.) to work from now, away from home, and it's great.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018