The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Apple is kinda doing this already with the fingerprint password.

Ya think they're not sharing that info? hA!

The difference is, nobody is forced by law to use Apple.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Californification is ruining Arizona and Texas. Not that those states don't have their share of problems, but rampant sh*t and homeless tents on Broadway is not one of them. Please, don't move and take your *sh*t* to Arizona, no pun intended.

>High IQs build nice place
>Low IQs notice there's a nice place
>Low IQs move to that place
>Low IQs outbreed the natives
>High IQs move away
>Place that was awesome becomes trash
>High IQs build a nice place

Cycle repeats.

High IQs flee and build, low IQs follow & destroy.

What I'm curious to know now is where are the high IQ individuals from Arizona and Texas moving to? I want to move to an isolated area, but I've somewhat handcuffed myself with a location dependent biz.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
In Europe this summer, my favorite afternoon snack was Museli mixed with yogurt. Museli is like a cereal... grains/nuts/dried fruit... 100% awesome stuff. The store we went to had like 20+ different varieties.

I've only found one box of "museli" here, at Kroger. But it had 12g of added sugar per serving... about double what's in sugary kid's cereal.

It's a real disappointment. I have to check the sugar content of everything before I buy it. It gets old.

I get mine an Aldi's if you have one near you. I don't have Kroger here. I actually get most of my groceries at Aldi's. Since it's a German company, I tend to get better quality food there I think.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
@amp0193, there are other options that are probably available at Kroger. Familia makes a no-added-sugar muesli (green box, not red), and so does Bob's Red Mill. There are probably others. Your best bet, though, would be to make your own. It's easy, and then you can custom-blend the ingredients you like.

I'll look in the Bob's Red Mill section next time... don't think I've seen it there previously.

Yes, I could make my own... but it takes time! Good idea though.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I get mine an Aldi's if you have one near you. I don't have Kroger here. I actually get most of my groceries at Aldi's. Since it's a German company, I tend to get better quality food there I think.

We shop at Aldi every week. Quality isn't better than anywhere else. They've got good stuff, and they've got lots of junk. You just gotta shop carefully. You can get good stuff for cheap though, so we like it!

The only thing German about it, is the random German exports, the cashiers that get to sit down, and the quarter to get a cart.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I always have some kind of ache somewhere on my body the day after BJJ class lol

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You would love boxing @Ninjakid

Try going home with a bloody nose & mouth coupled with a headache

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
Any other landlords run into the situation of flirty tenants? and if so what was your approach. I try my best to be cordial in my dealing with my tenants and keeping them happy, I find that this leads to certain individuals feeling "special." I always see those situations as a recipe for disaster and stay clear of advances or blurred boundaries.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Any other landlords run into the situation of flirty tenants? and if so what was your approach. I try my best to be cordial in my dealing with my tenants and keeping them happy, I find that this leads to certain individuals feeling "special." I always see those situations as a recipe for disaster and stay clear of advances or blurred boundaries.
That just makes unnecessary drama and possible "consequences "

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I misread that as dirty tenants........ ha

WHys this a problem? :devil:

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
How come we haven't come up with a more sophisticated and secure way to conduct elections???

We have multiple states that are finding hundreds of thousands of ballots 48-HOURS after the polls close and we have Senate seats that are flipping because of it.

There has to be a better way to conduct these right?

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

Probably best to try and be as professional as possible and keep interactions minimal, don't be over the top friendly or give any of those "vibes" no need to be rude but also don't give any openings or indications that you have any interest.

Unless your single and are happy to blur some boundaries, that's a different approach :rofl:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
In the house cleaning business there were also flirty customers. For several years I used to go around and check the houses as the girls cleaned.... my one customer, Cindy, I saw her boobs several times. Other customers in the shower, some getting out of the shower and still naked..... they were our customer for YEARS! They knew I was coming in. No, I never rang the bell while my girl was there cleaning, I had a key and they knew I was coming in. I stayed away from all the customers I think.... employees on the other hand.... well, I was single then ya know :innocent: :halo: Kinda makes me want to start another cleaning business.... ;)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Im for hire...

Just saying

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Any other landlords run into the situation of flirty tenants? and if so what was your approach.
Never let the tenants know that you're the landlord. Instead, position yourself as the property manager. They won't feel any incentive to flirt with you if they think you don't have the power to give them a break on rent, give them special deals, etc.

BiggerPockets has a lot of excellent resources for landlords and they're quite vigilant about keeping the gurus away.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
In Europe this summer, my favorite afternoon snack was Museli mixed with yogurt. Museli is like a cereal... grains/nuts/dried fruit... 100% awesome stuff. The store we went to had like 20+ different varieties.

I've only found one box of "museli" here, at Kroger. But it had 12g of added sugar per serving... about double what's in sugary kid's cereal.

It's a real disappointment. I have to check the sugar content of everything before I buy it. It gets old.

Pretty sure you can get it in Whole Foods.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Conference/networking rant...

Right now, I can say, based on my personal experience, that big conferences (with more than perhaps 100-150 people) are largely a waste of time for me. Better to connect with select people online and just meet one-on-one or in a small group.

A few pages late on this one, but imo, that's how you're supposed to do conferences. Lots of people show up and just expect great things to happen, but like anything else, you've got to seek them out. The big benefit of conferences is that they gather a bunch of people with similar interests in one spot, making it easy to organize a bunch of face-to-face meetings/chats with people. You do get the increased opportunity for serendipitous things just by being there, but that increases with the number of people that you plan to meet since you can also get acquainted with people in their circle.

It's also good to keep in mind that the real networking happens at private afterparties. A few drinks makes a lot of the other problems stop being problems (and maybe introduces some new ones hehe).

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
A few comments here, since I've lived in both spots (though this is from the perspective of one of the most expensive cities in Europe):

Homeless people (or people who appear to be homeless) and beggars are very visible. I don't think I've ever seen that many homeless people in other countries except for some poor countries like Morocco.

I think this is very location-dependent. I encountered FAR more homeless people while living in Europe, but I lived in the middle of the city and walked/bussed everywhere. Beggars were pretty much everywhere. Even though I've lived in a few US cities, I haven't lived/worked in the downtown/walkable spots, so even if there were lots of homeless, I wouldn't really encounter them.

• I find it much harder to be healthy here
  • Never before I've seen so many morbidly obese or otherwise unhealthy-looking people.
  • food here (and this ties directly to the quality of life) is not that much about quality

This is more about habits, cost, and ease imo. Our corporations have made "junk" food incredibly cheap and easy to get, so it ends up being the default. If you want to eat healthily, then that's a conscious decision that costs more money and effort. In my European city, (I assume) taxes and regulations have kept the junk food from being the cheap/easy option, so the default was far healthier. I could still eat terrible food there, but it was more money and effort.

The crux of it is that eating healthy here isn't any harder or more expensive than eating healthy there. It's just that in my Euro city, there wasn't really a comparable cheap/unhealthy option. I can stop at a good grocery store, get good ingredients, and cook good food in the US just like I could there, and it would still cost less both in money and effort. (WAY less effort really, since lugging groceries home on the bus was NOT my favorite thing... though the forced/default exercise surely made me healthier.) BUT, here there are tons of even cheaper/easier options.

The cities are not walkable (though still much better than in the Middle East).
These spots exist, but they're not the default. You would need to actively choose to live in a walkable spot, but it is possible.

The infrastructure is very dated. Some gas stations look like they're abandoned or not renovated in decades (and man I hate the pre-paid system), my debit card is sometimes not working at all (this has never happened to me anywhere else in the world, including some very exotic places), I have very bad reception on my phone and mobile Internet is slow even in a big city. But maybe T-Mobile in the US is just sh*t.
All very true, though it's probably more of a tourist problem. When you live here, you learn to avoid places/things that don't work. Although in general, US infrastructure is shitty at interfacing with anything international, so that may have been some of the problem. Also, for whatever it's worth, I've had plenty of problems using US cards and phones in Europe and Asia. My Euro phone didn't even really work in neighboring countries, which was a pain.

I might have had bad luck or maybe I went to the wrong places.
It's all in what you're after. If you want to go to a spot that feels like a European city, you could get pretty close I think, but it's going to be specific neighborhoods, not the entire city. Sort of like the food, you need to pick the kind of lifestyle you want to lead. Although, I'll suggest that trying to make the US like Europe isn't really leveraging its comparative advantages: space and corporations. :) When I moved back, I bought a house that was 10x the size of my Euro apartment for 1/5 it's price, and Costco will deliver a pallet of pretty good steak in an hour, with Amazon bringing whatever else I need (far easier and cheaper than in Europe).

I guess that it could be a good idea for a thread: which places in the world offer the best quality of life and why, so if anyone's interested, I can start it as I really like talking about this topic.
Agreed!

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Bill Gates is trying to revolutionize toilets.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Have been thinking about BJJ.

Definitely worth giving a try!

What do you like most about it?

• It gives you full control of your opponent. A strike can be slipped or countered, but a choke is a choke. Doesn't matter how big you are or how much you train, it just takes 3-4 seconds to cut the blood to the brain and make someone unconscious.
  • You can disarm an opponent without really hurting them... Or you can kill them. When manipulating the human body, there are endless possibilities.
  • You can punch and kick? Once I take control of your legs there's nothing you can do.
  • Every class as sparring, so you're always testing yourself. You get real confidence in your abilities, and you learn to control the adrenaline rush that happens in combat.
  • It's an extremely scientific approach to fighting, everything that's talked about can be put into practice.
When you first start, it will probably make no sense. The learning curb is pretty steep, but if you keep at it your body will instinctually start knowing what to do.

Just like anything else, more you practice and seek to understand, the better you will become!

Also, there's TONS of YouTube videos out there you can use to help yourself learn.

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
The amount of people who don't know how a house works is astonishing. You reside in these building for a great portion of your life.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Was at an entrepreneurship conference yesterday.

The founder that was a great dude died last year.

They decided to make collect money from sponsors and give it away(whatever that's called)

Hmm, they will give it to small companies so they can grow and hire more people.

NOPE!

I quote "we want to give this money to people like a regular cashier in a store because they don't have much"

Wow! Let's not give money to people that can generate more value in the market and open more jobs. Instead, let's give it to someone that has little to no market influence and value.

Wow.

Got up and left.

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
How does a house work?

That's one of the first problems. People don't find out themselves, So when you have a leak on your ceiling and request a roofing company to handle it, they will upsell you on a brand new roof because your roof is "A wreck and if left undone the moister could lead to a detrimental mold infestation." All because you didn't do the research to know that only 3 shingles need to be replaced because of "nail pops."

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I quote "we want to give this money to people like a regular cashier in a store because they don't have much"

Wow! Let's not give money to people that can generate more value in the market and open more jobs. Instead, let's give it to someone that has little to no market influence and value.

Wow.

Got up and left.

This reminds me of the teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish proverb. Shortsightedness

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.