The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
Gall’s law: A complex system that works evolved from a simple system that worked.

The opposite is also true. A complex system designed from scratch will fail.

This is why companies that start with a team of 6 founders and a $10 million VC check always fail, while the mega corporations of today were started by two dudes in a garage or bedroom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Gall’s law: A complex system that works evolved from a simple system that worked.

The opposite is also true. A complex system designed from scratch will fail.

This is why companies that start with a team of 6 founders and a $10 million VC check always fail, while the mega corporations of today were started by two dudes in a garage or bedroom.
Love this. Lots of layers to this, way more than just the VC example. My favorite are the blue collar service businesses that evolve into massive conglomerates. The idea that those things don’t happen anymore? Not true. Still happens.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Fasted for 7 days, only drinking salted water for electrolytes. Down 7kg, most of it probably water weight and intestinal content, but still a nice kick-off to the diet. The first 2-3 days sucked, but then it got easy. Not hungry during the day, only a few times in the evening when reading/relaxing. Staying busy helps. Gonna have a nice steak today, then another 3-7 days of fasting :happy:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fasted for 7 days, only drinking salted water for electrolytes. Down 7kg, most of it probably water weight and intestinal content, but still a nice kick-off to the diet. The first 2-3 days sucked, but then it got easy. Not hungry during the day, only a few times in the evening when reading/relaxing. Staying busy helps. Gonna have a nice steak today, then another 3-7 days of fasting :happy:
Nicely done. You can be any weight you want to be once you can fast for more than 48 hours.

I have gone 4 days myself, but usually stick to alternate day. Basically a 42:6 intermittent fasting plan.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
My best is 2 days, 7 is crazy. From what I read muscle mass can start to disappear quickly when fasting on those time scales, light walking can help prevent that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My best is 2 days, 7 is crazy. From what I read muscle mass can start to disappear quickly when fasting on those time scales, light walking can help prevent that.
If your body has excess fat, it will eat it. In my experience, just stay active and you’ll be fine.

I have had times when I quit a fast because I felt too bad to continue. That usually only happens if I eat like an idiot the night before and have a bunch of sugar in my eating window.

The best way is to remain fat adapted in the eating window and just feel like a boss the next day. It’s pretty easy to feel like you earned a sandwich or something though.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
From what I read muscle mass can start to disappear quickly when fasting on those time scales, light walking can help prevent that.

Even huge proponents of fasting like Peter Attia are changing their minds about prolonged fasting due to muscle loss:

While religiously participating in monthly and quarterly multi-day fasts, Attia was losing muscle mass. “Over a period of about three years, I probably lost about ten pounds of lean mass,” he said.

One review concluded that a major downside of fasting is the accompanying loss of muscle (2). If there is a way to make up for this loss, Attia hasn’t found it. “As much as you might exercise during those periods of fasting, which I tried to, you’re just not going to be able to maintain lean mass,” he said.

Holding onto muscle is essential as you age. Even if you don’t fast, starting at age 30, you can lose as much as three to eight percent of your muscle mass per decade (3). Muscle loss slows down your metabolism, and decreases your strength and functional ability to complete daily tasks with ease.

I guess if you're super fat maybe it's still worth it but you definitely need to be cautious as you don't want to lose weight only to later realize that 80% of it was muscle.

As Attia said:

“One not uncommon scenario that we see with [fasting] is that a person loses weight on the scale, but their body composition alters for worse: they lose lean mass (muscle) while their body fat stays the same or even increases,” Attia wrote in his book Outlive.

That’s why Attia believes fasting is a “tool” that should only be used for the ideal candidate. That person is someone who either has a good deal of muscle to spare or someone who has over 35 percent body fat and can handle losing a little muscle because they have so much fat to lose.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Even huge proponents of fasting like Peter Attia are changing their minds about prolonged fasting due to muscle loss:
The core issue with all these experts is that there isn't much money in telling people to just fast. And of course they need some new findings every now and then to push a new angle in a new book to stay relevant. So I take this with a grain of salt (literally, lol).

I guess if you're super fat maybe it's still worth it but you definitely need to be cautious as you don't want to lose weight only to later realize that 80% of it was muscle.
The risk for fatties like me is probably pretty low, but yeah you will always lose some muscle when losing weight.

Gonna start weight training again next week, that will help with keeping the muscle. Hurt my back last year deadlifting 170kg, after being already tired from squatting 145kg, during CrossFit Total. So have to keep my ego in check this time...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

As Attia said:
Yeah I think people at a very healthy weight doing this for longevity and autophagy need to be a LOT more careful.

I don’t know what I’ll do when I get there yet.

I’ve never had much of a problem packing on muscle though. So I’d imagine, maybe 36 hours a week fasting, protein heavy and weight training will probably take care of maintenance and continue to get some fasting benefits.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

SpinnerRedPenny

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 20, 2023
USA or Europe
Cities should be broken up when they hit a certain size. They function really well up to a certain limit, and then it's all garbage from there. A city council with a handful of people representing a million citizens doesn't make sense.
This might be one way to deal with this particular problem.

TL; DR: The legislature must be reconstructed at nearly all levels of government.

Legislative processes are breaking down at every level. Part of this can be traced back to the modern professional bureaucracy movement that in many ways got its start here in Germany. Professionalizing the bureaucracy was seen then as a way to stabilize governments that had been operating more or less on the spoils system.

A key driver of the problem: Legislators want to be seen as leaders and problem-solvers. Whenever a crisis occurs, they won't let it "Go to waste," they will initiate legislation to be seen as "Doing something [for the people/for the children/for public safety]." Legislators are human beings, and they will do whatever is easy. So when a handful of former legislators now working for a cleverly-funded think-tank on K-street start calling up their 18 former staffers who are now working for the successor representative with a bill already written, suddenly the current representatives are able to appear to their constituencies to have "Done something." Further clever funding allows a few concentrated interests and their dollars to easily lobby the 435 representatives and 100 senators to further convince them that their solution is the right thing to pass right now. A bill is then passed through both the House and Senate, is signed into law by the President, and suddenly the legislative bureaucracy has provided ample work and funding for the executive bureaucracy and the administrative state grows again and adds to the mess via regulation enabled by the new law(s).

By the way, you didn't vote for any of these bureaucrats. At best the senior executive service bureaucrats might have been ratified by a Senate that is largely controlled by politicians from the largest cities in each state (due to the passage of the 17th Amendment around the same time as the rise of the modern professional bureaucracy).

Another problem: Do you know your representative? Does he or she know you? With up to almost 700,000 constituents, the answer is almost certainly "No." How then do you expect your representative to represent your interests at the federal level?

Robin Dunbar calculated that you can only be close to about 150 people. If we do the math on a bar napkin and make a very rough approximation of the number of second-order contacts using the square of Dunbar's number, then that suggests you should be in the ballpark of 20k for your number of second-order contacts. The federal Constitution as written had one representative for approximately every 60,000 people; or one representative for every two large cities in 1789. The practical consequence of this is that at the origin of the US under our current Constitution, you had about a 1-in-3 chance of either knowing your representative directly or indirectly via a mutual contact. Your representative was much more likely to understand you, your point of view, your political needs; your representative was likely to represent you.

If we forced Congress to repeal the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1921 (limiting the House to 435 members) and returned to representational proportions of one representative per 60,000-100,000 people, you'd be much more likely to either personally know your representative or you'd nearly certainly know a friend who could introduce you.

Congress would then become very large. We would have to force-change some of their operating rules. For one thing, we could eliminate their staffs. By doing so, we'd exchange an unelected legislative bureaucracy for politically accountable representatives. Freshmen Congressmen would then assume the burden of drafting legislation. They would have less chance of being coerced into laziness by former Congresspeople doing their jobs for them, and the citizens could hold their feet to the fire in a way they cannot with the unelected staffers.

Increasing the representatives in the House has implications for the electoral college. In order to maintain the balance, each state would then need five senators. We would revise Article I and reintroduce state legislative election of the first three senators, term-limited to two terms. The remaining two senators could still be popularly elected--but to qualify to stand for popular election, they must have completed two terms as a legislatively-elected senator. This would help reduce the current "Big city-only" senator issue.

Cities and states could follow a similar model.

The must-do is to return more direct representation. There will be second-order effects to consider, but these are manageable.

I've recommended this solution elsewhere. It's one excellent and very necessary way to make our current system of government work better for us again.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah I think people at a very healthy weight doing this for longevity and autophagy need to be a LOT more careful.

I don’t know what I’ll do when I get there yet.

I’ve never had much of a problem packing on muscle though. So I’d imagine, maybe 36 hours a week fasting, protein heavy and weight training will probably take care of maintenance and continue to get some fasting benefits.

I would love to see someone do a dexa scan just before the fast and one immediately after to see what they really lost in weight.

For myself the dexa scan opened up my eyes to how easy you lose muscle when you are older. I had thought I did good in losing 8 lbs by mountain biking all summer but it turned out to be losing muscle vs fat. We need to be hitting the heavy weights to keep muscle mass.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, I didn't know Costco sold this kind of stuff...

1689433855246.png

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I would love to see someone do a dexa scan just before the fast and one immediately after to see what they really lost in weight.

For myself the dexa scan opened up my eyes to how easy you lose muscle when you are older. I had thought I did good in losing 8 lbs by mountain biking all summer but it turned out to be losing muscle vs fat. We need to be hitting the heavy weights to keep muscle mass.
Weights and protein are critical for preserving muscle mass and losing fat. Cardio alone will make you lose both and then when you lose the muscle it will speed it all up even faster. I think doctors are figuring this out now but it's funny how the "gym bros" seem to understand this better than the scientists and medical professionals.

Noticed this especially on swim team with the guys who purely swam distance versus the sprinters who did more lifting and were "lazy" in practice.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
@Kak @theag

Cool to see your doing fasting. I have been doing intervall fasting for close to 2 years now and it's been great for productivity and helped me get rid of liver issues caused by bodyfat.

I made it simple for myself by only eating after 1pm. That means I usually do a 6/18 or 8/16 fast, depending on when I eat dinner.

Yeah sure I don't have that crazy fast progress but I can stick to it for a decade or more and probably will.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, just wow.

Nearly 80% of men are now overweight or worse in America. Women, nearly 70%. And this includes young folks which really tells you how bad things are.

1689531673846.png

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
The Universe might be twice as old as originally believed. The "tired light" theory might also weaken the "expanding universe" theory by giving an alternate explanation for the red-shift phenomenon. It would be cool if photon decay explained red-shift completely, there was no need for expansion or a Big Bang, and we wound up with a view of the universe that didn't have a beginning or end.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Damn you guys are getting ads that look like that?

I’m cancelling my INSIDERS
I remember MJ being surprised at how bad the site looks with ads visible... this might be another surprise to him actually.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Damn you guys are getting ads that look like that?

I’m cancelling my INSIDERS

Don't do it! That one rare and now looking back a little surprised, and only stood out cause Subs words jokily looked like lead into it. The ads suck. While not the reason I will be going back to INSIDERS in a month or two it's for sure a bonus to lose that clutter.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
For a second I thought u were referring to this ad under your post.

View attachment 50181

8nSe4OX.gif

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!