The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

G

Guest-5ty5s4

A good portion of Americans have gotten used to lifestyle creep thanks to cheap credit and being a major world supplier for 75 years and having the primary reserve currency. I live in a home built in 1955 and everyone considers it tiny (1300 sq ft on 1/4 acre), yet it was perfectly adequate for an American family 65 years ago. Today, it is hard to find any house in the city being built at less than 2000 sq ft.much less a solid brick home that could stand for ages.

The US is like a little kid with a big allowance. We started buying a chocolate bar every day and over time, we've gotten used to eating a dozen chocolate bars every day because they taste good. We make fun of other kids whose parents make them eat gross vegetables. What losers! Yeah, they call us "fatty" for being 200 lbs overweight, but they're just jealous of our delicious chocolate! They wish they could have what we have! This binging can surely go on forever with no consequences! At least, as long as our parents keep giving us that good allowance money...
I agree completely, but people underestimate how much this has infiltrated government and politicians and their budgets, which is really where it begins. The inflation starts at the very top of the economy - at the printer, where the currency spits out for all the pet projects and how it gets lended through all the banks and whatnot. Our "leaders" have never seen a problem more money couldn't fix. Those 1300 sq ft homes are not even viable to build anymore in most places - a developer would be taking a loss. It's a problem. Hence, Dalio's book on cycles and recessions. Everyone and everything goes up, up, up - debt included, then BIG crash... then repeat.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
The interesting thing with the regenerative farming methods was how much better and healthier the plants were, it made it seem so ridiculously stupid to do things the way they are doing now, you literally get worse results.
Four seed companies control over 60% of the GLOBAL seed market. Most of US agriculture is non-edible soybeans and corn raised for either feeding livestock or providing the industrial food processing industry with raw inputs. Monsanto, et. al. are quite happy with the results over the past 25 years. You and I - not so much.

Our family puts in considerable effort to track down local farmers, markets and CSAs. Ain't easy finding high quality ingredients and it's almost impossible for most of the country. Every week I wonder how in the world people in the US earning $15 / hour can afford to buy food and gas.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Eating vegan, it might be easier to run into some deficiencies, but at the same time you'll be more likely to eat more vegetables and there will be more crap you'll be avoiding.
My wife was vegan for a long time before moving to vegetarian. It took a couple of years for her to really understand that vegan/vegetarian processed food is the same crap as any other processed food. Doesn't matter whether you eat meat, plants, keto or anything else. Processed => industrial food => crap => future health problems. I honestly believe eating solely processed food is why the cancer rate for pets is so high.

Nowadays, we mostly follow two simple rules. Only buy things that don't have a list of ingredients and eat food like your grandparents did. Michael Pollan's take is five or fewer ingredients. Good enough. It eliminates about 90% of the supermarket products which is both funny and sad.

Thankfully, beer has only three ingredients plus water.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Furniture? Vehicles? Are people elsewhere just poor and don't own things?

Sometimes you have to move and don't have space readily available
None of those really explain the explosion of self-storage units over the past 25 years despite much larger homes.

I think most people just buy too much crap. Amazon is probably a silent investor in every single self-storage company.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Our family puts in considerable effort to track down local farmers, markets and CSAs. Ain't easy finding high quality ingredients and it's almost impossible for most of the country. Every week I wonder how in the world people in the US earning $15 / hour can afford to buy food and gas.
Have you found a good resource online to help you track down these CSAs? The USDA has a tool you can use to search by product, choose a location, and filter by source (CSA, Farmer's Market, etc.):

I agree that it can be very difficult in some areas to find places that have the kind of fresh food you want. Especially out of season.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Have you found a good resource online to help you track down these CSAs? The USDA has a tool you can use to search by product, choose a location, and filter by source (CSA, Farmer's Market, etc.):

I agree that it can be very difficult in some areas to find places that have the kind of fresh food you want. Especially out of season.
Love the link. That's a terrific resource. No, it hasn't been hard for us to find local food sources, but we're used to searching out a lot of stuff from traveling all the time. Our kids aren't in public school, so we're always looking for interesting things wherever we setup shop for a few months.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Narcisisst update: I got ALL my stuff back, that was in his power. Of course he stills tries to make me guilty and to make his problems my problems. Just wow, I realized that 4 years ago, a person with a similar situation, similar personality, one day just blocked me and I lost valuable stuff of mine that I gave him. THE SAME thing was going to happen to me again ! Talking to my brother about this we remembered about his ex gf who was hiper toxic, same personality tipe, and, yes, she ended up keeping all my brother's stuff. There are literal human parasites out there, look out, be wary. Tonight I'll celebrate for my sanity and peace of mind.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Narcisisst update: I got back ALL my stuff back, that was in his power. Of course he stills tries to make me guilty and to make his problems my problems. Just wow, I realized that 4 years ago, a person with a similar situation, similar personality, one day just blocked me and I lost valuable stuff of mine that I gave him. THE SAME thing was going to happen to me again ! Talking to my brother about this we remembered about his ex gf who was hiper toxic, same personality tipe, and, yes, she ended up keeping all my brother's stuff. There are literal human parasites out there, look out, be wary. Tonight I'll celebrate for my sanity and peace of mind.
Happy for you. Good decision.

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
I agree completely, but people underestimate how much this has infiltrated government and politicians and their budgets, which is really where it begins. The inflation starts at the very top of the economy - at the printer, where the currency spits out for all the pet projects and how it gets lended through all the banks and whatnot. Our "leaders" have never seen a problem more money couldn't fix. Those 1300 sq ft homes are not even viable to build anymore in most places - a developer would be taking a loss. It's a problem. Hence, Dalio's book on cycles and recessions. Everyone and everything goes up, up, up - debt included, then BIG crash... then repeat.
So in which stage sir do you think we are now? India has massive inflation too.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I have a column in a national publication here in Canada in my industry. The editor thinks I write well, so I am allowed to continue doing that as I help them with readership. In many ways, it's a successful column and I should feel good about it all. But reality is that every time I submit my article to the editor, I am nervous. I always feel exposed writing things for public consumption on the internet (where it will live forever!). I feel like I am about to be judged and called out...

It came to me, writing for a living is a very stressful job! More so than what I do for a living. Or is it that I don't do enough of it to become "immune" to this feeling of inadequacy?

As a very confident person, I find this dynamic weird. I can stand in front of hundreds of people and feel fine, but writing feels so much harder and more stressful.

How do you feel when you write @MJ DeMarco and @MTF? I know you may not do it for a living MJ, this is a general question as I make zero from my writing (and I don't intend to ever make it into any type of income stream).
It's stressful. I delete more than I publish, and fret over anything I don't delete.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Some private schools are like 20k a year and people send multiple kids. It’s only just occurred to me that you could do this, I wonder why it’s not more common

Interesting idea. Lack of diversity? The solo teacher won't be extremely proficient in every topic. Although they could be passionate which could be more beneficial.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
It's interesting to me how a value skew can fade with time and turn into a negative skew. There's a lot of convenience stores near me just the same as a 7/11 convenience store but all called Smoker Friendly.

I'm sure back then they had a bigger skew selling tobacco related products but now who can say as time has passed on. The only tobacco products they have is behind the counter. A shift in major selling products probably should require a shift in rebranding too otherwise I see it is a negative skew for new customers in this case.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Some private schools are like 20k a year and people send multiple kids. It’s only just occurred to me that you could do this, I wonder why it’s not more common
There's a trend among "the elite" to hire PhD / genius tutors for home schooling. We considered something like it, but went the private school route. At least, for as long as the school is good.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I was accepted onto a two week course to study opera composition in Italy this August. I'm trying to find a grant to cover the costs.

Some of the "musical" projects that get grant funding are beyond atrocious.

Others seem obsessed with race and gender.

The entire process has been thoroughly depressing.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I have a column in a national publication here in Canada in my industry. The editor thinks I write well, so I am allowed to continue doing that as I help them with readership. In many ways, it's a successful column and I should feel good about it all. But reality is that every time I submit my article to the editor, I am nervous. I always feel exposed writing things for public consumption on the internet (where it will live forever!). I feel like I am about to be judged and called out...

It came to me, writing for a living is a very stressful job! More so than what I do for a living. Or is it that I don't do enough of it to become "immune" to this feeling of inadequacy?

As a very confident person, I find this dynamic weird. I can stand in front of hundreds of people and feel fine, but writing feels so much harder and more stressful.

How do you feel when you write @MJ DeMarco and @MTF? I know you may not do it for a living MJ, this is a general question as I make zero from my writing (and I don't intend to ever make it into any type of income stream).

I don't personally care. Hundreds of thousands of people read my emails every month and tens of millions read the copy I've written for landing pages, Facebook Ads, Google Ads, and other channels.

Of course, it doesn't say anywhere that "I" wrote it as I represent my clients' brands (which is a big responsibility in itself). But then again, I'd be even happier if it did, lol.

I once got into trouble with a client for (potentially) going too overboard with sexual innuendo in one of my emails. However, I wrote that email for a brand that had an "edgy" and provocative image since its inception, so the language used wasn't exactly uncalled for. Plus, I was bringing in more than double the sales they used to make with their email campaigns.

Anyway, one of my client's customers took it a bit too hard and left a negative review that said:

"Your emails were entertaining at first. Now they're offensive. Hot chicks and getting laid? Just stupid. P.S. You still haven't delivered on your promises from 2 years ago."

My client was furious... Well, that is until I went on Facebook and found numerous customers posting/quoting the same email on their feeds and saying things such as:

"This is F*cking hilarious!! F*ck yeah I'll buy another one. Please, PLEASE never change [company]!"

"Normally I find it easy to delete promo emails but I must confess I secretly look forward to the ones [company] sends out. Whoever is responsible for these seems to enjoy their job! "

"Hysterical! You can just tell whoever is writing these LOVES their job! And their [product] is freaking amazing too."

Safe to say we haven't had an issue with my writing ever since. I'm also still writing for them, lol.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I was accepted onto a two week course to study opera composition in Italy this August. I'm trying to find a grant to cover the costs.

Some of the "musical" projects that get grant funding are beyond atrocious.

Others seem obsessed with race and gender.

The entire process has been thoroughly depressing.

Who offers grants for this sort of thing and what are the costs for a course like that? Maybe it could be crowdfunded?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Who offers grants for this sort of thing and what are the costs for a course like that? Maybe it could be crowdfunded?

There are a few grants charities / trusts around. Some composers use their royalties to fund a private trust after their death, which give grants. In the UK we have a national lottery, which funds grants for all sorts of cultural / heritage projects. There are a few private / family trusts too.

The course itself is £950, and associated costs (accommodation, flights, costs I have such as rent and eating as I can't work while attending) are an extra £1590.

Someone else I know mentioned crowdfunding, I might have to give that a shot.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

It goes away with more practice. At this point, I really don't care much. This is also because I know that you can't ever write good stuff all the time. So you accept that sometimes it'll suck and you also accept that in a few months, let alone years, you'll be embarrassed to read what you wrote today. I think it ultimately comes down to this acceptance that you're doing your best job and the rest is outside of your control.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

That’s interesting.

I don’t fret about writing, giving live presentations, being a guest on radio/podcasts, or publishing unpolished YouTube videos. Granted I don’t have a column in a national publication, and I don’t feel anything I publish is scrutinised by hard-core peers.

Most of the time I’m just excited to share something I’ve learned and want to pass that excitement onto others.

I also believe that most people can detect your intentions and if you’re happy your intentions are good then don’t sweat the small stuff so much. Some people will take it up the wrong way but if your heart’s in the right place then that’s on them imo.

You’re happy posting in here @Antifragile. Is that because you’re anonymous, or because you don’t feel you’re being scrutinised by hard-core industry peers, or both?

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
We are either already in recession or still in the bubble phase.
Which businesses and investments will blossom in these time sir? What do you think. How are you going to invest.
And may i ask- on which idea did you build your business and got success in it ? ( I would have read it in you about section but you have limited your profile to some people)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
That’s interesting.

I don’t fret about writing, giving live presentations, being a guest on radio/podcasts, or publishing unpolished YouTube videos. Granted I don’t have a column in a national publication, and I don’t feel anything I publish is scrutinised by hard-core peers.

Most of the time I’m just excited to share something I’ve learned and want to pass that excitement onto others.

I also believe that most people can detect your intentions and if you’re happy your intentions are good then don’t sweat the small stuff so much. Some people will take it up the wrong way but if your heart’s in the right place then that’s on them imo.

You’re happy posting in here @Antifragile. Is that because you’re anonymous, or because you don’t feel you’re being scrutinised by hard-core industry peers, or both?

Thanks Andy.

Yes, probably both. Anonymous posts not picked up by Google helps when searching my name. And the audience here is mostly pro-business. My audience in the industry can also include council members, city staff etc. Most of all, you nailed it, it’s the older more experienced hard core industry peers who are judging what I write. Some are older people who have been doing this longer than I’ve been alive. They may read my opinion on retail and go “in my day …” or worse “what a load of … when I did it in 1992…”

Most of those thoughts are useless junk. It helps me none. I know my thoughts are based in research and I may know more than them, as long as I did my homework.

The more I think about it… it’s just lack of practice. With more experience, I’ll feel less and less stress. That must be it.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Boris Johnson Says Vladimir Putin Is 'Perfect Example Of Toxic Masculinity'

Putin = toxic masculinity = we need more women in power LOL.

I'm really sorry to link to an article from the garbage that the Huffpost is, but I couldn't resist. I thought these guys couldn't surprise me anymore, well they did.

I'll make sure to keep my masculinity in check so I don't start a war tomorrow. Thanks Boris & Huffpost.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't personally care. Hundreds of thousands of people read my emails every month and tens of millions read the copy I've written for landing pages, Facebook Ads, Google Ads, and other channels.

Of course, it doesn't say anywhere that "I" wrote it as I represent my clients' brands (which is a big responsibility in itself). But then again, I'd be even happier if it did, lol.

I once got into trouble with a client for (potentially) going too overboard with sexual innuendo in one of my emails. However, I wrote that email for a brand that had an "edgy" and provocative image since its inception, so the language used wasn't exactly uncalled for. Plus, I was bringing in more than double the sales they used to make with their email campaigns.

Anyway, one of my client's customers took it a bit too hard and left a negative review that said:

"Your emails were entertaining at first. Now they're offensive. Hot chicks and getting laid? Just stupid. P.S. You still haven't delivered on your promises from 2 years ago."

My client was furious... Well, that is until I went on Facebook and found numerous customers posting/quoting the same email on their feeds and saying things such as:

"This is F*cking hilarious!! F*ck yeah I'll buy another one. Please, PLEASE never change [company]!"

"Normally I find it easy to delete promo emails but I must confess I secretly look forward to the ones [company] sends out. Whoever is responsible for these seems to enjoy their job! "

"Hysterical! You can just tell whoever is writing these LOVES their job! And their [product] is freaking amazing too."

Safe to say we haven't had an issue with my writing ever since. I'm also still writing for them, lol.
Post it on the inside! I’m curious! :rofl:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I started doing a morning 11 minute yoga routine, I have completed 5 or 6 days of it. It is literally 11 minutes long. I do it first thing in the morning after I brush my teeth and all that jazz.

So back up in time a bit, and I have hip issues. The socket where my leg attaches to my hip (I know, I am really technical) aches and gets really stiff. Every time I go biking it hurts, and all through my ride I need to plant my legs on my pedals, and kinda thrust forward with my hips and open my legs to stretch that hip area. But it hurts, and its annoying, and it impacts my life negatively.

I experience that feeling every time I am on a bike, and it has been about 3 years now. Literally 100% of my bike rides have that pain.

Fast forward to more recent. After 3 of these 11 minute yoga experiences in the morning, the last 3 bike rides I have been on have had ZERO pain. so that was 33 minutes of something, to eliminate THREE YEARS of pain. HOLY SHIT!!!!!! Talk about a value skew!!!!!

In a few days I want to start adding another short 5-10 minute session per day, maybe before I go to bed. Who knows where this will lead, but the quality improvement on my body after like a week of this is just insane.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

This is absolutely amazing.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I started doing a morning 11 minute yoga routine, I have completed 5 or 6 days of it. It is literally 11 minutes long. I do it first thing in the morning after I brush my teeth and all that jazz.

So back up in time a bit, and I have hip issues. The socket where my leg attaches to my hip (I know, I am really technical) aches and gets really stiff. Every time I go biking it hurts, and all through my ride I need to plant my legs on my pedals, and kinda thrust forward with my hips and open my legs to stretch that hip area. But it hurts, and its annoying, and it impacts my life negatively.

I experience that feeling every time I am on a bike, and it has been about 3 years now. Literally 100% of my bike rides have that pain.

Fast forward to more recent. After 3 of these 11 minute yoga experiences in the morning, the last 3 bike rides I have been on have had ZERO pain. so that was 33 minutes of something, to eliminate THREE YEARS of pain. HOLY SHIT!!!!!! Talk about a value skew!!!!!

In a few days I want to start adding another short 5-10 minute session per day, maybe before I go to bed. Who knows where this will lead, but the quality improvement on my body after like a week of this is just insane.

A lot of stuff like that is caused by muscle tension. Sadly, pretty much everyone says "go to the gym" but almost nobody says that you have to balance it with stretching/yoga/foam rolling etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.