The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reminder to American entrepreneurs earning profits... today is the quarterly deadline to pay the tax man.

Some one bought a house in Reno for for $330k in April, and relisted it for $560k a month later. After 2 weeks they dropped the price by $110k down to $450k. I hope they get their $330k back. It was listed for $250k back in 2020. I guess this is the real estate peak.

Pretty common I've seen across the board. It won't end well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
People keep referring to me as an engineer.

Everytime I log into my Portuguese bank account it says Dr. Chapas. Apparently my bank lady put down the wrong profession when creating my account, so if I weren't married I would totally pick up girls telling them I was a heart surgeon.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This story is all about money - I was expecting it to be about golf skill!

Where’s the PGA pro who’s dirt broke and pretends to suck, goes 10x on this guy? Lol!
Golf is a game of many many skills. :rofl:

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
What do you think about videos, where people help homeless persons? I see a lot of hate on those guys saying "you only did it for the video" and "why do you need to record that?".

I've mixed feelings. On one hand I actually feel good about watching the content, it makes me smile, and inspires me to do more good myself. On the other hand, I see the point - would these guys give away anything, if it wasn't for the online clout

Feel good content is always nice, but most of them definitely do it just for views. I have this homeless dude I help 2-3 times a week when I meet him outside of my grocery store. Not big help, but always buy him a water and a banana or a sandwich. It's just a natural thing to do, and I think a lot of people act the same way without having the need to film it.

I feel like everything is staged these days. The only feel good videos that actually makes me feel good is the ones with animals - without people lol. Those are the only genuine ones. Rest is just acting and self-promotion.

So many videos of people helping animals in need. Which is amazing. I just don't understand that people need to film everything first. Why not help the animal immediately? Instead of spending 30-60 seconds on filming how it struggles? If I saw a dog in bad condition I would go help it. I wouldn't take my phone out first and film it for a couple of minutes and then help it.

Sometimes I wish we all just had Nokia 3310's. Life would be so much more real.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Feel good content is always nice, but most of them definitely do it just for views. I have this homeless dude I help 2-3 times a week when I meet him outside of my grocery store. Not big help, but always buy him a water and a banana or a sandwich. It's just a natural thing to do, and I think a lot of people act the same way without having the need to film it.

I feel like everything is staged these days. The only feel good videos that actually makes me feel good is the ones with animals - without people lol. Those are the only genuine ones. Rest is just acting and self-promotion.

So many videos of people helping animals in need. Which is amazing. I just don't understand that people need to film everything first. Why not help the animal immediately? Instead of spending 30-60 seconds on filming how it struggles? If I saw a dog in bad condition I would go help it. I wouldn't take my phone out first and film it for a couple of minutes and then help it.

Sometimes I wish we all just had Nokia 3310's. Life would be so much more real.
Most of those "helping an animal" video are staged too. See a dog or something stuck? Chances are it was put there on purpose to film

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
What do you think about videos, where people help homeless persons? I see a lot of hate on those guys saying "you only did it for the video" and "why do you need to record that?".

I've mixed feelings. On one hand I actually feel good about watching the content, it makes me smile, and inspires me to do more good myself. On the other hand, I see the point - would these guys give away anything, if it wasn't for the online clout

Fake, fake fake fake and fake.
Some of those homeless / needy ones are even paid actors.

It's just for the creators to get $$$ from Youtube monetization.

Some even take it up one level by going to poor / war countries and doing "good deeds" there.

Reminds me of those videos on FB where they show some deer / rabbit / animal getting trapped in the mud / fell down a slope stuck in pond / trapped in barb wire etc. These videos get hundreds of thousands of likes and comments.

I even have this feeling that many deliberately got the animal trapped in the first place, then "happened to discover the animal and went to help".

It's always such a coincidence.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Flop or potential productocracy?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

I'm in the trends Facebook group and they asked everyone what were their best purchases this year under $1000 were, Remarkable came up multiple times, the customers loved them.

One guy mentioned a competitor and said he bought theirs because it was better so I'm not sure about productocracy but they're definitely providing value.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I'm in the trends Facebook group and they asked everyone what were their best purchases this year under $1000 were, Remarkable came up multiple times, the customers loved them.

One guy mentioned a competitor and said he bought theirs because it was better so I'm not sure about productocracy but they're definitely providing value.

That's surprising. Sales of books and paper products are going down based on Google trends, how would this even work out for this Remarkable product, considering that it seeks to emulate paper. Why not just type on the phone, laptop or PC? Maybe it's a novelty item.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
That's surprising. Sales of books and paper products are going down based on Google trends, how would this even work out for this Remarkable product, considering that it seeks to emulate paper. Why not just type on the phone, laptop or PC? Maybe it's a novelty item.
Just had a look at the comments.

Seems its very realistic to write on and people use it in place of paper notes, which I write pages of paper notes, I'm sure all business owners do so that makes sense.

I hate typing notes and to do lists, I never do it.

The other version that was better was able to search your handwritten notes.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
I started getting into the habit of re-writing my "to do" list every few days when I worked in an office - it gave an empty feeling of accomplishment to get rid of the stuff that I'd done, but it also persuaded me to do things I'd been putting off because I got fed up of writing them out over and over again.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Just had a look at the comments.

Seems its very realistic to write on and people use it in place of paper notes, which I write pages of paper notes, I'm sure all business owners do so that makes sense.

The other version that was better was able to search your handwritten notes.

I could see this working great for taking notes at a meeting.

You can’t readily sit on your phone and type away at a meeting without coming across rude. Although, admittedly, typed notes, on your phone, would be better.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

This is a great device. I got one, then bought a bunch for the office. Then my friends bought more for their offices too. I feel I’m surrounded by people with reMarkable tablets. All of us love them.

Here is a discount code for you:

Edit:

I see everyone thinks it's just a note taking tablet... which it is great at, but I like other uses too:
1. I now read all my documents (legal) on it, just toss PDF import and done. Mark them up, sign them, look them up on your computer etc.
2. Many articles that are long, I prefer to read on paper, not on a computer. Some industry publications (typically in PDF too, like market studies etc) - I read all of them on reMarkable. I highlight and make notes in the margins. Then I can look it up on my computer anytime too (so it's better than printed).
3. Books - yes, you can read books on it too, which is great because the size of the screen is larger. Just buy EPUB or PDF and done. Same thing, you can write notes on books in the margins.

Here is an example of a book highlight that I picked up from my computer after reading it on my reMarkable:

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 6.48.24 AM.png

Last edited:

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
This is a great device. I got one, then bought a bunch for the office. Then my friends bought more for their offices too. I feel I’m surrounded by people with reMarkable tablets. All of us love them.

Edit:

I see everyone thinks it's just a note taking tablet... which it is great at, but I like other uses too:
1. I now read all my documents (legal) on it, just toss PDF import and done. Mark them up, sign them, look them up on your computer etc.
2. Many articles that are long, I prefer to read on paper, not on a computer. Some industry publications (typically in PDF too, like market studies etc) - I read all of them on reMarkable. I highlight and make notes in the margins. Then I can look it up on my computer anytime too (so it's better than printed).
3. Books - yes, you can read books on it too, which is great because the size of the screen is larger. Just buy EPUB or PDF and done. Same thing, you can write notes on books in the margins.

Here is an example of a book highlight that I picked up from my computer after reading it on my reMarkable:

View attachment 44035

Lol now I'm tempted to get one because of the ability to read books

@MitchC appreciate the great discount code. Saw the price after clicking the Buy Now button. Nope lol

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Edit:

View attachment 44035
Can it record you writing on it?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Edit:

View attachment 44035
how is it for drawing and art?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
The ad for the reMarkable 2 is pretty cool:

You could say it was..... REMARKABLE

1328554698663.jpg

I'll see myself out.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
However, this dude says that the ONYX BOOX is better overall:

And this dude does a pretty cool comparison (and makes it seem like the reMarkable 2 is superior yet again):

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

Attachments

• IMG_6500.MOV
    34.1 MB · Views: 0
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Biggest benefit of hiring family is knowing them closely. Some jobs require high levels of trust. It's hard to interview strangers for that.

Of course, only you know which family members are honest and diligent and which ones would screw you over.

Also, there is no greater "incentive alignment" than inheritance. None. Zero.

Character + incentive... potent combination

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just cancelled my subscription to Door Dash.

Unfortunately everything I order never travels well. Food arrives cold, soggy, or bland. And another thing I noticed that is even more concerning... sometimes the food arrives with ZERO safety protocols in place. We ordered 2 pizzas the other night and they arrived simply in their cardboard boxes. The driver can easily open up the lid and spit on the pizza, sneeze on it, or contaminate it.

Anybody can drive for these services and I can guarantee you, there are no background checks.

Sorry but I view this as a huge security risk, especially in today's climate of "eat the rich", and it doesn't help that my home clearly screams "I'm rich, thanks for delivering my food at minimum wage rates."

While I tip $20 minimum on everything I order (I delivered food years ago so I understand the plight) I don't think a double-tip would sway anyone with this kind of mindset from doing something maliciously.

Both the wife and I didn't feel well after eating our separate pies, and the thought crossed our minds.

Some one bought a house in Reno for for $330k in April, and relisted it for $560k a month later. After 2 weeks they dropped the price by $110k down to $450k. I hope they get their $330k back. It was listed for $250k back in 2020. I guess this is the real estate peak.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Anybody can drive for these services and I can guarantee you, there are no background checks.

Oh @MJ DeMarco, you're so completely wrong! DoorDash makes sure to use the correct pronouns so it's impossible to hire the wrong person. In case anything is wrong, they even know their sexual orientation so it's all legit.

doordash.jpg

(source: https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfuriating/comments/vdjeei View: https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfuriating/comments/vdjeei/doordash_is_asking_for_my_sexual_orientation_for/
)

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I just cancelled my subscription to Door Dash.

Unfortunately everything I order never travels well. Food arrives cold, soggy, or bland. And another thing I noticed that is even more concerning... sometimes the food arrives with ZERO safety protocols in place. We ordered 2 pizzas the other night and they arrived simply in their cardboard boxes. The driver can easily open up the lid and spit on the pizza, sneeze on it, or contaminate it.

Sorry but I view this as a huge security risk, especially in today's climate of "eat the rich", and it doesn't help that if my home clearly screams "I'm rich, thanks for delivering my food at minimum wage rates."

While I tip $20 minimum on everything I order (I delivered food years ago so I understand the plight) I don't think a double-tip would sway anyone with this kind of mindset from doing something maliciously.

Both the wife and I didn't feel well after eating our separate pies, and the thought crossed our minds.

I never got it, always heard the horror stories and couldn’t ever believe the way people wait in lines to get it and drive 30 mins to you that it could possibly be good.

At least pizza delivery drivers have some direct responsibility to the business for quality.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Biggest benefit of hiring family is knowing them closely. Some jobs require high levels of trust. It's hard to interview strangers for that.

Of course, only you know which family members are honest and diligent and which ones would screw you over.

Also, there is no greater "incentive alignment" than inheritance. None. Zero.

Character + incentive... potent combination
Funny you bring this up. My stepson has been doing the Monday morning reports for clients. He’s starting a full-time job soon and I asked our 14 year old if he fancied doing them. He bit my hand off and keeps asking what else he can do.

“The person who’ll run with the ball is the person who catches it.”
- Colin Jennings (an IT manager I used to have)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

Sorry but I view this as a huge security risk, especially in today's climate of "eat the rich", and it doesn't help that my home clearly screams "I'm rich, thanks for delivering my food at minimum wage rates."
Good decision MJ. We act the same way, and now one of us goes to get the food directly. Not as convenient but safer for sure. Especially now, times are harder and “hate the rich” is real.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
You guys sold me-- I've been wanting a remarkable tablet since I had a coffee with someone and he pulled it out to take notes on and gave me a quick tour. For someone who loves paper but always has 10+ legal pads scattered between my office and almost every room in my house, it may be easier to just get a remarkable to keep everything organsied. I think I'll order it this weekend! Thanks @Antifragile for the coupon code.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.