The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

QUESTION: Should I stay or should I go?

Decide my fate! (Haha jk or am I)

• Remain a teller, go full-time, become a banker eventually.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019
I'm hoping I chose the appropriate sub-forum to post this, so here it goes...

For context: I'm currently working as a bilingual teller (English/Spanish) part-time at a bank in my area. I have 30+ 3-5 minute conversations with people from all walks of life at my window every time I'm at work. These conversations center around whatever transaction they came in to handle (deposits, withdrawals, payments, negotiables, etc.), and usually some small talk about how our respective days have been by that point. As of recently, I've started to make it a habit to use my time here (the time I'm giving away to the shadowy overlords of this giant corporation) as my training grounds to improve my interpersonal communication, for I'll be damned if I don't use this slowlane situation as a means to an end for my fastlane future. I'm known for being a very approachable, amiable person and can "chum it up" with just about anyone. However, when it comes to anything even remotely related to sales or selling, or talking about products the company offers, that charm disappears and thus the internal tempest begins. I've gotten better at this over the past couple months, but it's definitely a huge area of growth opportunity for me.

For further context: For the last year I've been learning computer science and programming fundamentals on my own with what was once the goal of pivoting into a software developer role. Now that I work at this bank, I have my toe in the door for landing that position in the future, since this company employs thousands of tech professionals. This would also be another slowlane job, but it would be a job that tasks me with working with software all day, which is something that I plan to use for some of my Fastlane ventures in the future.

My question: Should I stay "client-facing" at the bank, even going a step further and moving into a banker role, and maybe even a step further than that and become a premier banker and work with high profile clients and/or businesses? Or would it be a wise move to pivot into that tech role, where I'd be achieving something I've been working on for over a year so far (and be working on other Fastlane skills for providing solutions to problems in the process)?

One of the problems I have with being a teller is that, as I mentioned before, the conversations are anywhere between 3-5 minutes long, and more often than not the person standing across from me at my window expects it to be only 3-5 minutes. Any minute longer and there is usually the stampede of negative body language and tension that I quickly pick up on. So, I'm left to just speak "corporate-ese" when handling complaints and issues, for tellers are instructed to only go so far with their line of questioning. A banker's role is to sit people down with them at their desk, already changing the platform and "allowing" a much lengthier, deeper conversation.

And just so its said, I know that these are somewhat personal questions that require my own deliberation and ultimately I'm the one that needs to make the decision for myself, but I'd really appreciate any feedback from anyone :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
How about this: You probably get business owners making transactions--ask them how their day is, then if they complain about something, dig into the problem & see if it's something that might lend itself to being solved via software. You don't want to pitch them anything--just gather data about problems.

The reason I mentioned focusing on business owners is that they're likely be willing to pay for someone to solve their problems.

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019
T
How about this: You probably get business owners making transactions--ask them how their day is, then if they complain about something, dig into the problem & see if it's something that might lend itself to being solved via software. You don't want to pitch them anything--just gather data about problems.

The reason I mentioned focusing on business owners is that they're likely be willing to pay for someone to solve their problems.
That's a really good point! And yes, I do speak with business owners, even as a teller (for the aforementioned basic transactions).

I'm going into to work today in a couple hours, so I challenge myself to uncover at least one data point/pain point for any of the business owners I get today. Thanks for the feedback, @NMdad!

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Awesome that you are using every client, interaction, and opportunity to learn!

Have you chatted with actual bankers and software/tech people to find out the good, bad, and pain points of those positions with your company and competing companies?

Maybe go old school and grab a sheet of paper to start a comparative list of what you find out?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Question, can you afford to quit your job atm?

Can you actually get a job as a software dev?

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019
Awesome that you are using every client, interaction, and opportunity to learn!

Have you chatted with actual bankers and software/tech people to find out the good, bad, and pain points of those positions with your company and competing companies?

Maybe go old school and grab a sheet of paper to start a comparative list of what you find out?
I have spoken with a couple of the bankers over their experiences in making the switch from teller to banker, but I haven't asked any questions with that purpose in mind. I'll make a note of that! Thanks for the reply, @Sheens!

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019
Question, can you afford to quit your job atm?

Can you actually get a job as a software dev?
Currently, no. And I realize now that I really should have included that in my initial post! The change wouldn't be happening immediately. It'd be later in the year.

My question is more along the lines of whether or not leaving the line of business I'm currently in (client-facing as a teller, very customer service heavy) would be a mistake, a loss of opportunity to develop those person-to-person skills. Or would it be a benefit to leave, enter the tech world, and invest my time with this company in that line of business.

My apologies for that ambiguity, @Ninjakid!

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019

Update: A business owner came through the drive-thru window at the bank today and I asked them about how their day had been and how business had been going. They mentioned it was going well, and then I just bluntly asked if they had any pain points (I literally said pain points) and they proceeded to go off on personnel issues, thoughts of finally having a website, and inclement weather issues affecting their work. All of that, all of that opportunity, from just a simple and direct question. I was amazed. I know the success rate on this isn't 100%, but it definitely showed me how just getting started with the questions and the digging yields great results. I definitely felt good about it.

That being said, I need to maneuver this intelligently, for I know that I can't very well now seek out that client's business and offer web design services (something I'm starting thanks to @Fox's thread on getting started with freelance web design), as that may very well land me in hot water with the slowlane company I currently work for.

Thanks for again for the inspiration, @NMdad!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Currently, no. And I realize now that I really should have included that in my initial post! The change wouldn't be happening immediately. It'd be later in the year.

My question is more along the lines of whether or not leaving the line of business I'm currently in (client-facing as a teller, very customer service heavy) would be a mistake, a loss of opportunity to develop those person-to-person skills. Or would it be a benefit to leave, enter the tech world, and invest my time with this company in that line of business.

My apologies for that ambiguity, @Ninjakid!
No worries! Here's my take...

If you want to start a software related Fastlane business, and a BIG PART OF THAT GOAL depends on your ability to program, then you should work as a Software developer ASAP.

The quickest way to anything is to grind hard.

No guarantees the 12hr+ coding days won't burn you out, but you'll get definitely get better at coding quicker.

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019
No worries! Here's my take...

If you want to start a software related Fastlane business, and a BIG PART OF THAT GOAL depends on your ability to program, then you should work as a Software developer ASAP.

The quickest way to anything is to grind hard.

No guarantees the 12hr+ coding days won't burn you out, but you'll get definitely get better at coding quicker.

To your point, I'm still very much in "I need an idea" mode, so I'm marrying that into the use of my time. Software development has been an on-again-off-again interest of mine since I was 15 years old (when I first saw my software developer brother open up the Terminal on my Macbook and type esoteric incantations into this little black box and heard him say that he was accessing his computer at his work :duh:). This has now become an actually serious pursuit, so I'm paying attention to the fact that I can could move into a different area in this company, something that I feel I have a much better chance and getting to happen sooner rather than later compared to trying to get myself into another company as someone with no academic or professional experience in CS.

It is my intent to use these skills I'm spending my time in building for future fastlane endeavors, but as I said, I'm going where I hear the "market calling", as MJ talks about. This is something I'm doing while I get everything else started with this Unscripted life.

Thanks again for the feedback, @Ninjakid.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
That being said, I need to maneuver this intelligently, for I know that I can't very well now seek out that client's business and offer web design services (something I'm starting thanks to @Fox's thread on getting started with freelance web design), as that may very well land me in hot water with the slowlane company I currently work for.

Don't pitch them at the drive-through window.

I don't see the harm in using it as a way of finding warm leads for later follow-up. If you discover that the CFO of Acme Corp is in need of a new website and mad about his lazy staff, nothing says you can't send a "cold" email with that information in mind.

azt3k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 10, 2019
Don't pitch them at the drive-through window.

I don't see the harm in using it as a way of finding warm leads for later follow-up. If you discover that the CFO of Acme Corp is in need of a new website and mad about his lazy staff, nothing says you can't send a "cold" email with that information in mind.

Good point. I just know there is a place somewhere in the paperwork I signed that mentions the prohibition of work outside the bank itself, but it's more specific towards getting a job at another financial institution. Also, using my "on the clock" time for personal financial gain. That being said, I have a tentative grasp on what the rules are and aren't.

But to your point, @rogue synthetic, I shouldn't discount these opportunities to get something going. Thanks for the feedback!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.