The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

QUESTION: setting up email for clients with domain name?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

treeleef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 27, 2021
Okay so I know how web hosting works, and I know how to connect a domain to it, and I know how to build a website, but email systems with the domain name confuse me. I have a few questions about it and am looking for any advice.
  • I'm using CPanel to setup websites for clients, but how do I make it easy for the client to login?
  • Do they need to use CPanel to check their email? Can they login to it with another app?
  • Is there a way to have all email forwarded to their email address that they already have setup? And if forwarding is possible, if they respond to an email with their non-domain email address, will the customer they're responding to see the non-domain email address?
Luckily I haven't had any clients that need an email system like this yet, but I want to start moving into this area. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I'm using CPanel on the WHM platform

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

Deleted78083

I guess it depends on your hosting company. OVH lets you access your mail through roundcube, for example. But that annoys me so much that I set up aliases in outlook that redirect the mails sent to the domain address, towards an outlook address.

Idk how to use Cpanel, sorry.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Okay so I know how web hosting works, and I know how to connect a domain to it, and I know how to build a website, but email systems with the domain name confuse me. I have a few questions about it and am looking for any advice.
  • I'm using CPanel to setup websites for clients, but how do I make it easy for the client to login?
  • Do they need to use CPanel to check their email? Can they login to it with another app?
  • Is there a way to have all email forwarded to their email address that they already have setup? And if forwarding is possible, if they respond to an email with their non-domain email address, will the customer they're responding to see the non-domain email address?
Luckily I haven't had any clients that need an email system like this yet, but I want to start moving into this area. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I'm using CPanel on the WHM platform

cPanel/WHM includes a mail server and a couple of webmail clients.

Look for the (who could have guessed!) "Mail" options in cPanel, you'll find answers to all your questions there.

You should be able to forward emails to another address and set up local mailboxes for domains on the server. And your users/clients will be able to access their emails via any of the 3 webmail clients that cPanel provides (RoundCube, Horde or SquirrelMail), or via an external desktop mail client (eg Outlook) or any POP/IMAP mobile email client (including the Gmail app).

The exact addresses to use and mail client configuration details will even be listed in cPanel, right under each individual email address you set up. For webmail, the address is typically https://www.example.com/webmail -- where example.com is the server's hostname, or ANY domain name hosted on the server.

Of course, if the WHM you mentioned is not your own server, sometimes hosts place limitations on what you can do, depending on the plan you purchased. Some plans may not even include email at all.

With all that said, I personally would not recommend the "free" email that's bundled with shared hosting service to my worst enemy! With no serious spam protection, your clients are going to be dealing with a whole lot of spam and fishing attacks filling up their mailboxes. Plus messages they send are far more likely to land in their recipient's spam boxes -- due to the webserver being abused by some of the hundreds or even thousands of users on it to spam others or host malware.

If email is important to your clients' business, get them to use 3rd-party professional email services like Google GSuite, Microsoft 365, Amazon WorkMail, Zoho Workplace, etc. These are typically 5 bucks per less per user per month, and have very good spam and antivirus filtering. While no computer system can guarantee 100% uptime forever, you can safely bet that these services will be a whole lot more stable and reliable than your run-of-the-mill shared hosting service.

Last edited:

treeleef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 27, 2021
With all that said, I personally would not recommend the "free" email that's bundled with shared hosting service to my worst enemy! With no serious spam protection, your clients are going to be dealing with a whole lot of spam and fishing attacks filling up their mailboxes. Plus messages they send are far more likely to land in their recipient's spam boxes -- due to the webserver being abused by some of the hundreds or even thousands of users on it to spam others or host malware.

If email is important to your clients' business, get them to use 3rd-party professional email services like Google GSuite, Microsoft 365, Amazon WorkMail, Zoho Workplace, etc. These are typically 5 bucks per less per user per month, and have very good spam and antivirus filtering. While no computer system can guarantee 100% uptime forever, you can safely bet that these services will be a whole lot more stable and reliable than your run-of-the-mill shared hosting service.

With GSuite, Microsoft 365 or any of those other platforms mentioned, could I connect a domain that I already own on a different platform to those services?

For example, if I had the domain "example.com" that I purchased on NameCheap.com, and decided to create an email address for said domain through CPanel named "example@example.com", would I be able to use GSuite's spam and antivirus filtering services by forwarding all email going to example@example.com to the customer's GSuite email? And if they were to reply to an email that was forwarded to their GSuite email from the domain email, would their GSuite email show up in the "from" section of the email header?

Forgive me if I'm not understanding how this all works. This is the first time I've ever dabbled with domain based email addresses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
With GSuite, Microsoft 365 or any of those other platforms mentioned, could I connect a domain that I already own on a different platform to those services?

Absolutely.
For example, if I had the domain "example.com" that I purchased on NameCheap.com, and decided to create an email address for said domain through CPanel named "example@example.com",

You wouldn't create the email addresses in cPanel. You'll hand over 100% of the email function to the external email provider (GSuite, etc) by changing the domain's MX records to GSuite's addresses, and you'd login to GSuite's control panel to create and manage user accounts there.

And, yes: you can register your domain name example.com with company A (say NameCheap), host your website on example.com with company B (say LiquidWeb), and have your email service @example.com 100% provided by company C (Say Google GSuite). It's all in the magic of DNS records management -- which makes to possible to "delegate" various services under your domain to different providers.

In fact, if you set things up properly, your cPanel/WHM server could have absolutely nothing to do with the GSuite etc email, such that if your website goes down, your mail service will still work.

Last edited:

treeleef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 27, 2021
Absolutely.

You wouldn't create the email addresses in cPanel. You'll hand over 100% of the email function to the external email provider (GSuite, etc) by changing the domain's MX records to GSuite's addresses, and you'd login to GSuite's control panel to create and manage user accounts there.

And, yes: you can register your domain name example.com with company A (say NameCheap), host your website on example.com with company B (say LiquidWeb), and have your email service @example.com 100% provided by company C (Say Google GSuite). It's all in the magic of DNS records management -- which makes to possible to "delegate" various services under your domain to different providers.

In fact, if you set things up properly, your cPanel/WHM server could have absolutely nothing to do with the GSuite etc email, such that if your website goes down, your mail service will still work.

Wow, beautiful. Thank you so much. This is a great help. I'll definitely be looking into MX records and trying to piece that all together. If you have any resources you could point me to (videos, articles, tutorials, forum posts, etc.) please feel free to post them here. Thank you again :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.