The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Providing an Idea Validation Service

Idea threads

unorthodox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Apr 15, 2015
I see a lot of threads, articles on here and many other forums where people ask if they're idea is good/will succeed etc.

If you had a website or product idea, would you be willing to pay for a service to validate the viability of that idea?

Value:
*Save Resources (time, money etc.)
*Discover new profitable ventures, products etc.

Service: Landing page setup + design + media buying, visitor activity data etc.

The idea analysis will be measured against metrics that we use to determine if an idea is worth pursuing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I see value in this - the money and time and frustration saved from an entrepreneur walking down the wrong path.

The execution and quality of service are what is important now.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Follow up - walk us through the process of how you're validating your idea - lead by example.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I see a lot of threads, articles on here and many other forums where people ask if they're idea is good/will succeed etc.

If you had a website or product idea, would you be willing to pay for a service to validate the viability of that idea?

Value:
*Save Resources (time, money etc.)
*Discover new profitable ventures, products etc.

Service: Landing page setup + design + media buying, visitor activity data etc.

The idea analysis will be measured against metrics that we use to determine if an idea is worth pursuing.
I wouldn't pay for it as I effectively provide this as a service.

My best clients are already in motion and are already making a profit (nice if I want to get paid).

But some other clients are startups with no revenue yet, or people with an idea who want to see if they can make it fly.

This is just from providing an AdWords service (along with landing page builds).

Basically, some businesses aren't acquiring customers through that channel, and pay me to try and do it for them.

This is the same as any marketing/lead gen agency/business taking on a new client.

So I guess that validated your idea?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Check out the threads titled:
  • How to get profitable or fail fast with AdWords
  • Launch and Learn
  • Are you only buying traffic?
  • The biggest benefit of AdWords
(All linked to in the first post in my signature.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Something like this you mean?
https://quickmvp.com/
We had a look at this a while ago and it was a bit pants tbh.

I contend that the best way to validate your idea is to make a sale, and if you want to know if you can sell via a particular channel, then try and make a sale by that channel.

You can try to do it yourself, or hire someone to try to do it for you.

Hmmm... Am I missing something?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

I contend that the best way to validate your idea is to make a sale, and if you want to know if you can sell via a particular channel, then try and make a sale by that channel.

No, I think you've got it. Only a market can truly validate an idea. OP could start a service telling people something is stupid, but .... I would probably say that an app where you chase around creatures that originated in japanese culture would be a flop here in the States. I would be incredibly wrong. So my guess is that the OP's service wouldn't fare much better on average.

Product validation is one of the less known uses of PPC. $1000 in ad spend can save you millions in wasted time, money, and effort.

Also, I had to look up "pants". thanks for the edumakationous for today :)

G

GuestUser450

Only see it working if you're a business coach doing a free idea audit with monthly retainer, etc.

I think people unwilling to validate their own ideas would be terrible customers - the sweat is not just valuable, it's a prerequisite.

And when a "validated idea" doesn't work, sidewalk trolls will feed it to muckrakers at the speed of light. Little upside, unlimited downside if a biz crashes.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016

Yeah I never used them but I remember seeing a thread on here from someone that did. I just used a really free basic WordPress site with a MailCheat(Chimp) sign up form for my idea validation, got the link shared in a few local email newsletters and on Facebook and I got quite a lot of data just from that to test it.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I ran across a guy that created an app that had been validated by an idea validation service. For $50/year, you could sign up with his app and get alerts when there are wildfires near you. The idea validation service told him what price he should charge, and that they thought it would be successful. He only has a handful of paying customers. Why? Because most people get this kind of news through their local TV or radio station, or by looking into the sky and observing large, billowing clouds of smoke. Or, maybe he has a valid idea, and his execution missed the mark. Who knows?

I wouldn't at all trust an idea validation service. There's no way such a service would be able to understand all niches out there. An idea that would seem idiotic to some might become the next Pokemon Go.

However, now that I'm thinking about it, such a service might be able to steer would-be entrepreneurs away from fabulously stupid ideas. There was a bakery in a cute upper-middle-class college town 30 minutes from me that specialized in Bundt Cakes. That's all they did. Bundt Cakes. It worked great up there. Then, they tried to expand into my city. I remember my wife and I looking at each other and marveling at the stupidity of locating that bakery in our working-class town. They were out of business in 6 months. There's now a Subway in that location. $1000 spent with an idea validation service would have saved them probably $100K (or likely more) worth of investment into this new, poorly-conceived location.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.