The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD (James F) Startup #2

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, the website is in the black and making some money every month. Not much though. Let's just say the only expense I have with this site every month is the hosting fees with Heroku.

You are right about trying to raise revenue up a bit and then selling it on Flippa. That sounds like a good option as well, but at this point; it may be something I still do second hand on the back burner as I focus on getting FEND launched.

Yes, it's hard to find good reliable RoR coders as the demand is so high and supply is low.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Hey James, please correct me if I am wrong:

the website is in the black and making some money every month.
This tells you the market needs your solution and it is proven. You can scale it and grow it.

However....

I focus on getting FEND launched.
You prefer to focus on an unproved business.

Aren't you messing the priorities?

Are you sure you are not thinking "me, me, me" more than "what is it that the market wants?"

I feel like you are violating the fastlane principle of letting the market do the talking.

Is it possible you are simply scared of having this working idea explode and become huge? (may sound weird but it is perfectly normal being scared of success, trust me on this.)

In any case, I wish you the best with whichever you decide to do.

smmirza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Sep 26, 2011
Aren't you messing the priorities?

Are you sure you are not thinking "me, me, me" more than "what is it that the market wants?"

I feel like you are violating the fastlane principle of letting the market do the talking.
Exactly what I feel like as well Andviv. If the website is in the black, then it is a FACT that JamesF is solutioning a need in the marketplace. However, I am not sure why he is putting it on the backburner. JamesF you already have painstakingly built the map of uncharting through the freelance biz. Why risk it for an uncharted territory where you have to make the map from scratch. Are you in the business of following your passion or making money?

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@andviv - thanks and I def understand where you are coming from. I questioned myself a lot with this before throwing in the flag. Yes, it's a proven market need (as already obvious from oDesk and Elance) but at the end of the day; I finally realized that the reason I jump from thing to thing is not because of fear of success (definitely not that! lol) but because I have no desire to fix the market need... at all. Sure, it's "me, me, me" but that's not to say that streetwear is also a proven market as well (growing into mainstream these past years).

MJ states that follow 'what you love to do' methodology is flawed. And it is in most cases; but not all. I've learned over the years that I excel much, much better when my creatives are praised. Along with the adornment from peers (who I totally relate to, because I design clothing that I want to wear), it feels much, much better than being a faceless person sitting behind a desk helping out other folks who are nothing like me. That is just me though.

That and to me; something becoming ever increasingly important is 'legacy'. As I grow older; the "what do you want to be known for" becomes more important. I want to be known for starting and establishing a Brand. Not just some website or app or web app (that'll fade once a newer better competitior comes), but a Brand. Something I can stand for; something I believe in, something that IS me. I just didn't find that with web app startups. Of course; I am still going to use the fastest possible distribution path in the world; the internet, to push and market. But to be able to use all of my skillsets and get the best of both worlds; work on something I am totally passionate about and it be within fastlane rules, I think I have finally stumbled upon my calling.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I have sold Freelancify.com and it's entirety to a new owner!

Hope your balance is positive on this transaction, but even if it isn't, cool news. Good luck with your new biz. You're a designer man, seems you can't run from yourself:)

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@FastnAwesome - Yup; in the black! Lol.. using the funds to kickstart FEND. Thank you again for all the encouraging words over the years; you've always been so positive!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Just FYI;
I sold Freelancify to this new owner (Samuel Adesoga) mainly because I saw a fire and passion the first time he approached me. He is a Rails programmer himself and I know he will definitely take this site to the next level. I wish him the best with everything and I know with hard work; he will be able to really gain good traction.

Here's his change of management blog announcement: Freelancify Blog

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.