The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Progress] #AndyTalks

Phikey

Fortune favours the bold.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
First go doing a Google Sheet style presentation. I spent far too long editing this down.
Fantastic video @Andy Black . a lot of great advice here that i agree with 100%. Especially the part about making helping people the number #1 goal.

Great idea about creating videos first so you can create audio and text easily from it as well as micro content.

What app did you use to film the screenshare?

I've been using Loom but I keep having issues with the audio and video exporting out of sync and needing to fix it later.

Also, have you seen the YouTube feature called chapters?
It allows you to create these awesome bookmarks throughout the video so people can quickly jump to different sections. I think it works really well for tutorial videos like these that are accompanied by the slides.

Here’s an example of it in action from one of my videos:
(See the playing bar at the bottom has different sections you can see when you hover?)

Super easy to add, you just add time stamps to your description with the headings and make sure you also add one for 0:00

Here’s a tutorial on how to do it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phikey

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
I just realised that the chapters aren’t showing up on embedded videos... dang. I think it’s just when viewing the videos in the YouTube platform.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I forgot some people liked my voice. Thanks @sparechange.

I wonder if it’s the accent, tone, or delivery?

I’m super excited I finally got a nice mic working with my PC. It was originally to up the quality of my paid courses, but it now has me thinking about doing more YouTube content, and maybe even a more official podcast than my accidental one up on SoundCloud.

It may be a Canadian bias as everyone speaks ''flat here'' but accents just sound neat overall.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Fantastic video @Andy Black . a lot of great advice here that i agree with 100%. Especially the part about making helping people the number #1 goal.

Great idea about creating videos first so you can create audio and text easily from it as well as micro content.

What app did you use to film the screenshare?

I've been using Loom but I keep having issues with the audio and video exporting out of sync and needing to fix it later.

Also, have you seen the YouTube feature called chapters?
It allows you to create these awesome bookmarks throughout the video so people can quickly jump to different sections. I think it works really well for tutorial videos like these that are accompanied by the slides.

Here’s an example of it in action from one of my videos:
(See the playing bar at the bottom has different sections you can see when you hover?)

Super easy to add, you just add time stamps to your description with the headings and make sure you also add one for 0:00

Here’s a tutorial on how to do it
Great idea about the chapters. Funny you mention that as I literally came across them last night watching a YouTube video about mics.

I have Loom for recording quick videos to send prospects, clients, and people who signup to my paid course or newsletter. It’s amazing for that. It does hang occasionally which can be frustrating if you’ve recorded for any length of time.

I’ve been using Camtasia for years and love it. Another benefit is that the webcam is on a separate track. You can move it about in the editing stage, resize it, and even hide it for some parts of the video.

Funny how you watched this one @Phikey ... it was you who I was thinking of when it came to batching. I know there’s two camps and advantages to batching when you’ve already got a process. I’m not going to batch until I’ve figured out the process, and I may end up not delegating work to others either. I would like to take things start to end and find the most efficient route. Maybe I add that as a course. Maybe only then will I delegate.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I liked the lighting, audio, and background in the last video.

Things I want to improve on that last video:

1) Say sentences properly.

My natural tendency is to make things up on the spot. This comes with lots of false starts that I tried to edit out yesterday - and which took ages. I forgot that I can do multiple takes until I’m happy and then edit out the bad ones. Duh.

2) Read the section headings.

I forgot to read section headings when I brought up a new slide. I can’t just pull out the audio and post it as people won’t know I’ve moved to the next point.

I think the way to do both is to plan a bit more, do dry runs until I know what I want to say, then maybe write out the script and deliver it one line at a time?

This will take time, but bring me closer to what I’d be satisfied with, and that I could put some ad spend behind.

I have this idea that I’ll monitor view time of the video and see where people drop off and iterate till I get people to the end, where I’ll also split test the CTA.

Once I’ve dialled in the video I can then post to my “Production” channel. I’m using IT terms here, where code goes from development, through testing, integration, quality assurance, and finally to production. My Andy Black channel is for messing about on. Maybe I create a separate channel for the battle-tested videos?

I find I really enjoy creating videos and editing them. It’s like it’s my hobby. Time flies, and I’ve actually got a creation I can show people. Yet it’s still strangely related to my “day job”.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I liked the lighting, audio, and background in the last video.

Things I want to improve on that last video:

1) Say sentences properly.

My natural tendency is to make things up on the spot. This comes with lots of false starts that I tried to edit out yesterday - and which took ages. I forgot that I can do multiple takes until I’m happy and then edit out the bad ones. Duh.

2) Read the section headings.

I forgot to read section headings when I brought up a new slide. I can’t just pull out the audio and post it as people won’t know I’ve moved to the next point.

I think the way to do both is to plan a bit more, do dry runs until I know what I want to say, then maybe write out the script and deliver it one line at a time?

This will take time, but bring me closer what I’d be satisfied with, and that I could put some ad spend behind.

I have this idea that I’ll monitor view time of the video and see where people drop off and iterate till I get people to the end, where I’ll also split test the CTA.

Once I’ve dialled in the video I can then post to my “Production” channel. I’m using IT terms here, where code goes from development, through testing, integration, quality assurance, and finally to production. My Andy Black channel is for messing about on. Maybe I create a separate channel for the battle-tested videos?

I find I really enjoy creating videos and editing them. It’s like it’s my hobby. Time flies, and I’ve actually got a creation I can show people. Yet it’s still strangely related to my “day job”.

It's all part of the process, if you look at MJ's old videos... now don't get me wrong they are amazing, they kind of ''sucked''. The ones when hes sitting by his pool and the audio is unclear, you can hear things in the background and whatever little things you want to nitpick.

Just keep plugging away and don't be a perfectionist!

Phikey

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
Great idea about the chapters. Funny you mention that as I literally came across them last night watching a YouTube video about mics.
Yeah, I think it's a relatively new feature and not a lot of people are onto it. I think it can be really useful for people, especially with tutorial videos where they want to get the value/info for a specific part without having to watch the whole thing. That's the one thing about video as a medium for information - it's really hard to search within a video quickly. Compared to text where you can easily search (control + F) and skim with your eyes - video isn't as easy.

I’ve been using Camtasia for years and love it. Another benefit is that the webcam is on a separate track. You can move it about in the editing stage, resize it, and even hide it for some parts of the video.
I've heard of this from a few people now. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Funny how you watched this one @Phikey ... it was you who I was thinking of when it came to batching. I know there’s two camps and advantages to batching when you’ve already got a process. I’m not going to batch until I’ve figured out the process, and I may end up not delegating work to others either. I would like to take things start to end and find the most efficient route. Maybe I add that as a course. Maybe only then will I delegate.
I think that's a good way to go about it. I've had to get my editors to re-edit 5-10+ videos twice now because we got some valuable feedback from our audience. We paid them for it (of course) but I think if we did 1 video at a time at the start then we wouldn't have to do this. We could get it right in the first 2 weeks and then start the system where all videos are done in advance and queued up nicely. Right now we're at 15 videos on the channel and 38 more that have been filmed and are in the queue. It's going to be good to be able to take a week off from working on content and have content still going out every day but it does come with some cons.

Not sure if it will help in your case but what worked for me was to script out the videos and then get the editors to edit out the spaces. I found that when I just filmed myself talking I was really boring - I wasn't engaging and I became monotone and I couldn't even watch my own videos past 15 seconds. You don't have the same problem in this video (I watched all the way through) but I think you have a lot more experience with being on camera. If it works for you then I reckon do it!

I also wanted to find a way that allowed me to quickly make videos that were high quality.
With this way, my team can do the research, I just put it into my own words and it's all in a google doc in bullet points and I just read out each sentence, one at a time.
I can film an 8 minute video in 15 minutes and my editors just take it and make it into a great video.
I often run a filming session for 2 hours so I'll batch all my videos on the one day (still exhausting) and smash out 8 videos in 2 hours. Not saying it's easy, but it works well for me as I'm doing a lot of mini-sprints with my content and the mountain of videos stacks up. I can basically do this 2-3 times per week and have 16-20 videos done per week.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you craft your own process and seeing what I could take to improve my own that works for me.

I think I'm going to try doing a few more slides/presentation videos again.

This is 100% what I experienced too. At the start it was painful because I hadn't found my groove/mojo. Now I really love being on camera, crafting the scripts and thinking about how I can best help my audience and make it a bit entertaining at the same time. When I got those first comments from absolute strangers that found my videos useful... man that was a good feeling. Addictive, even.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You don't have the same problem in this video (I watched all the way through) but I think you have a lot more experience with being on camera.
I did walk-and-talk videos with my phone using the Snapchat app. It’s amazing to do a 10 second take, listen back immediately, redo it till you’re happy, and only post to your story when you’re happy. It’s like self-editing as you go along. Hmmm... I may try those again as they were so easy to do. Have a go with some tool like that and you’ll quickly get comfortable on camera and knock out some videos very quickly.

I won’t have all my videos done at my desk like that. I still want to be able to create a video as I’m out and about.

Speaking of my desk, here’s my setup. LED light on top of my screen and taped to the shelf above. Webcam. Swing arm with mic. I can leave it setup constantly now.

B7BC1F57-EBC7-44D0-AD13-040F57665DC2.jpeg

This is a pretty cool video and setup:

View: https://youtu.be/WedG8LKO6ks

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This just hit my inbox. I started the channel 31-Dec-2015 so I'm not going to win any prizes for speed of growth. As mentioned previously, it's pretty cool that I've even hit 500 as YouTube is just a place to house videos I embed in posts in here.

Very smart of YouTube to send this automated email though. It was unexpected and they did put it into context. 500 people is enough to fill a jumbo jet. Each one is a real life person.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm... @Kak inspired me to check my Soundcloud stats, and my recordings have racked up quite a few plays over the last few years. Bear in mind I'm just using Soundcloud as a place to host recordings that I link to from within the forum. I doubt there's much organic discovery of my recordings on Soundcloud, or outside of Soundcloud.

I've got 34 recordings on there, and 21k plays.

I was going to start a completely new podcast but maybe I should import these into iTunes and continue from there? What do folks think? Start afresh, or put these into the new channel? It would be similar content, but more planned out episodes and many would be me talking solo. I'm tempted to start fresh, and do it under the radar and see if/how I can grow it from scratch (except that's doing forum folks a disservice if they might get value from it).

Evan G

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
May 24, 2020
Arkansas
Hmmm... @Kak inspired me to check my Soundcloud stats, and my recordings have racked up quite a few plays over the last few years. Bear in mind I'm just using Soundcloud as a place to host recordings that I link to from within the forum. I doubt there's much organic discovery of my recordings on Soundcloud, or outside of Soundcloud.

I've got 34 recordings on there, and 21k plays.

I was going to start a completely new podcast but maybe I should import these into iTunes and continue from there? What do folks think? Start afresh, or put these into the new channel? It would be similar content, but more planned out episodes and many would be me talking solo. I'm tempted to start fresh, and do it under the radar and see if/how I can grow it from scratch (except that's doing forum folks a disservice if they might get value from it).

I would love a new podcast! I started binging the Kill Bigger Radio Show by @Kak and just finished the episode he did with Lex. Great work Kak by the way!

I would think starting afresh would make sense as the new podcast would be more structured and you talking solo. You could link to the soundcloud episodes in your show notes. At the end of an episode you could mention that if people want more they can click that link in the notes. I'm sure someone with more podcasting experience could provide a better opinion haha.

Good luck!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You could link to the soundcloud episodes in your show notes. At the end of an episode you could mention that if people want more they can click that link in the notes.
Damn, that's simple and genius! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks @Evan G.

Problem solved.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That @Kak guy has a lot to answer for with his constant repeating of the word "legacy".

Years ago when I was doing the Snapchat walk-and-talk videos it occurred to me that these videos are a snapshot in time of what I was up to on a particular date, and my views on various topics. I mused that maybe my kids will watch some of the videos when they get older, in the same way that superman got to learn from his dad who was long gone.

^^^ While this is true, I also feel the need to unscramble my thoughts and explain them to the best of my ability. I don't just want to create these videos/audios/shows to be *good enough*. I want them there for my sons when they grow up. What if I imagined I was speaking to my sons when I crafted these, recorded them, and edited them? I wonder how differently I'd approach this? Or would I just spook myself.

Anyway... "legacy" guys. What does it mean to you?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So funny. I saw someone on the Inside tag me asking about Google Ads for non-profits.

I was between shops and didn't want to spend the time writing out my thoughts on my phone so recorded this in my car and posted to YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/EH71_Zi-wQk

I then also posted it to my personal Facebook profile (only showing to a specific Friends list so my close family and friends don't see it). I got a nice response to it already:

1604503710872.png

What I find funny is that this style of video is pretty much what I started with. All that faffing around with lighting, sound, scripts, etc ... and I'm back to just doing talking heads to my phone as it's held in my hand, and someone likes it already.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.