The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Producerism vs. Consumerism

Anything related to matters of the mind

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms
With all the free time I have now(because of losing my job), I've been "hitting the books" hard! I'm very close to completing my Udemy course on web development. I thank the good lord that I had a 401k to keep me afloat during this time. It's given me an opportunity to develop new skills. But what if I didn't have that money?

I would have bills coming in regularly every month, a wife chewing my butt off to get employment, and dismal job prospects. The thought of losing everything and changing our current lifestyle would strike fear in my family. Consumerism at it's finest.

The point is, switching mindsets is difficult to deal with. Becoming a producer takes time, effort, planning, and vision. The journey is like climbing a mountain. Reaching the summit is just part of the experience.

For the last 2 years, I've been learning to code iOS/iPhone apps, and now, web development. I know I'm on the right path! There's just this little part of me that keeps checking job sites, boards, and posts for employment. Rewiring my brain from consumer to producer has been, by far, the biggest challenge I have had to deal with since my termination.

Going back to work for someone/something else, makes me cringe. I either have to set sail or grind out the way I was before (full time job + learn new skills). My plan is to set sail!

Is there anyone else who is making the transition from consumer to producer? What has kept you on track? Was it an FTE?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chromozone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Oct 28, 2015
United Kingdom
I've recently made the transition from employee to employer.

My transition was more of a progression. As I worked up the ranks of my industry there were more and more opportunities. I've always wanted to start a business in my field and I finally had the leverage, capital and connections I needed so I made the jump.

I don't think the majority of successful entrepreneurs have a FTE (at least none of the ones I know in person). Most of the successful entrepreneurs I know just made the transition from employee to entrepreneur as they got more domain mastery and saw a Need that they could fill through commerce.

There was a large study by Ernst and Young called "Decoding the DNA of the Entrepreneur" (Google it - it's worth a read) which showed that most successful entrepreneurs make a transition in their 30s, rather than having a life event which makes them start a business.

In any case, I think most employees weigh up two things when deciding to quit and start a business. The first is the opportunity cost i.e. is it more worth your time to do your own thing and the second is what the value proposition of your job is i.e. do you get paid enough, have enough cash and freedom.

I think you've decided that the value proposition is not great enough at your job and that the opportunity cost is too great by just being an employee. If you find yourself looking at those job ads again it's because of one (or both) of these variables.

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms
I've recently made the transition from employee to employer.

My transition was more of a progression. As I worked up the ranks of my industry there were more and more opportunities. I've always wanted to start a business in my field and I finally had the leverage, capital and connections I needed so I made the jump.

I don't think the majority of successful entrepreneurs have a FTE (at least none of the ones I know in person). Most of the successful entrepreneurs I know just made the transition from employee to entrepreneur as they got more domain mastery and saw a Need that they could fill through commerce.

There was a large study by Ernst and Young called "Decoding the DNA of the Entrepreneur" (Google it - it's worth a read) which showed that most successful entrepreneurs make a transition in their 30s, rather than having a life event which makes them start a business.

In any case, I think most employees weigh up two things when deciding to quit and start a business. The first is the opportunity cost i.e. is it more worth your time to do your own thing and the second is what the value proposition of your job is i.e. do you get paid enough, have enough cash and freedom.

I think you've decided that the value proposition is not great enough at your job and that the opportunity cost is too great by just being an employee. If you find yourself looking at those job ads again it's because of one (or both) of these variables.
I agree! Entrepreneurship has more upside and possibilities for me than an employer can offer. I've believed that ever since I've started my journey.

I'm 39. Now is the time to get it done!

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
With all the free time I have now(because of losing my job), I've been "hitting the books" hard! I'm very close to completing my Udemy course on web development. I thank the good lord that I had a 401k to keep me afloat during this time. It's given me an opportunity to develop new skills. But what if I didn't have that money?

I would have bills coming in regularly every month, a wife chewing my butt off to get employment, and dismal job prospects. The thought of losing everything and changing our current lifestyle would strike fear in my family. Consumerism at it's finest.

The point is, switching mindsets is difficult to deal with. Becoming a producer takes time, effort, planning, and vision. The journey is like climbing a mountain. Reaching the summit is just part of the experience.

For the last 2 years, I've been learning to code iOS/iPhone apps, and now, web development. I know I'm on the right path! There's just this little part of me that keeps checking job sites, boards, and posts for employment. Rewiring my brain from consumer to producer has been, by far, the biggest challenge I have had to deal with since my termination.

Going back to work for someone/something else, makes me cringe. I either have to set sail or grind out the way I was before (full time job + learn new skills). My plan is to set sail!

Is there anyone else who is making the transition from consumer to producer? What has kept you on track? Was it an FTE?

Sounds like you know what you have to do...

Learning & training is useful & necessary. Mindset is CRITICAL... but at some point you'll to decide it's time to start interacting with & getting feedback from the marketplace

Start putting yourself out there and taking action, then you can assess & adjust based on what you see

2 years is more than enough time. Don't get caught in the trap of learn, learn, learn, and never do

Best of luck as you begin your journey!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pbellot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 27, 2017
Gulfport, Ms
I pivoted this year after some serious brainstorming. I'm working on web development now. Learn React and build about 4 websites. That's my plan. I think I'll gain quite a few "evangelists" to advertise my skills for free.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.