The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Process] Transfer of Skills To Agency

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Just a week or two ago, I created a new business that was based on a transfers of skills I've acquired over the last 5 years and a built-in customer base.

To summarize, I've learned a lot about SEO from my product-based company. So much so, that people started asking me to help them.

A service-based business is always something that I wanted to do. It caters to my skillsets. Except I thought it would be in construction, not SEO. But sometimes the world choses your path for you.

There is a sort of underrated appeal of service-based companies. Cash flow is amazing and you can get by with little to no advertising if you just do an amazing job. This type of model is good if you are strapped for cash or if you need to draw a salary early from a business.

Many product businesses have a cashflow foot print that is uncomfortable at times. The main problems have to do with consistently funding new inventory for growth (forcing you to defer things you might not want to defer) and payment terms with larger customers.

It started with one client that has 200 employees and does huge business and just a few days later, I'm up to five clients.

The premise of the business cannot be more simple, but we are doing the things that nobody wants to do consistently and we are doing them exceptionally well.

Right now the clients are a mix of local services, product-based, and media.

These beginning clients will serve as a test to see where I should put my focus to prospect more customers. And I'm only bringing on customers where I know the likelihood of success is nearly 100%.

Everyone who signed on knows me and trusts me to do a good job for them.

The difference in this and what I have done in the past is really my conviction and confidence.

The value for the service is 5 to 1 (or more) right now with an incentive-based / grow-with-you cost structure.

There are well-known agencies charging at least 4-5x more (flat rate) for only one aspect of my service without any accountability. I've used many of them in the past and I know what I am doing is better.

With true conviction I know the system works and I think this is going to emanate in sales calls.

I'm creating this thread for accountability, process, and mindset purposes but my goal is to surpass my product business in sales by same time next year.

The next steps are focusing on the top of funnel / sales process right now as everything on the service side is already systematized to the point of redundancy.

Shot out to a few members who have had the most impact on me; @MJ DeMarco @ZCP @SteveO @Ravens_Shadow

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Well, so much for creating a progress thread and keeping myself accountable. :happy:

Since a little bit more than a year has past since the last post, I thought I would give some updates thanks to a little push by @amp0193.

Despite not having a website and barely having a Facebook account (3 followers), I have managed to get somewhere with the SEO Agency.

My one year goal for the business (in the last post) was to have surpassed the sales of my product business (which did not come close to happening). However, profit was much higher than the product based business and I was able to comfortably support my lifestyle for the last year while delivering results for my clients.

My churn rate for the business is extremely low and only two clients have dropped off with me since starting.

BUT, one or two months after I announced the starting of this business something unexpected happened and it was an opportunity I couldn't refuse.

I wound up focusing on that opportunity 75% of the time and the agency 25% of the time. I am going to create a separate progress thread for that opportunity because I think it is something that everyone will enjoy and something that I can be completely transparent about.

Needless to say, the agency only grew through referrals over the last year. This was great, because for the first time ever my customer acquisition costs were basically zero. But growth was slow.

Since my work on the other business is nearly complete, I now get to take a step back and focus on the agency.

With the agency, customer acquisition has always been the hardest thing. Some of you started Youtube channels and such to create a top of funnel and I see it working.

The route that has worked for me in the past and that I am going to ramp up again is client acquisition through Upwork.

Over the weekend, I tried to do something smart.

I took a specific search term on Upwork and filtered it out by "expert" and highest dollar value to see what people were searching for that was expert level and big money. I figured that here is where I will find my best clients.

The point of the search was to create a one-time product based service package with the intent to upsell them on the monthly service after.

Today I started testing this service on my existing clients and a few friends for feedback before going full launch mode.

Then I plan from there is to build up the reviews and hopefully position myself as the #1 person for this specific service.

Surprisingly, I don't see anyone else with the same offering.

My metrics to track are; packages sent per day, service upsells per month, and job applications per month.

In three months I will audit myself and see what needs to be tweaked.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Then I plan from there is to build up the reviews and hopefully position myself as the #1 person for this specific service.

Surprisingly, I don't see anyone else with the same offering.

My metrics to track are; packages sent per day, service upsells per month, and job applications per month.
Smart. Finding the niches in the haystack.

SEO for Upwork.

nopalmer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2023
Glad to hear it's going well and you had that unexpected opportunity. Hope you'll have some good news to share in three months!

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
The biggest benefit of the agency is that nearly every client is word of mouth. Because of that, I never really focused on building an "online" reputation which would serve to get more clients.

I launched a niche product as a service that nearly anyone with a website can use (described in my last post) and am giving it away for free in exchange for reviews. People usually pay $500+ on Upwork, but it has been pulling teeth getting people looking for the service to bite.

Right now, I'm going to keep putting the reps in and integrate until we get some hits.

I know the value is there, but it looks like I need to properly communicate it.

Attached are some case studies from clients of the last two years. In a few cases I brought $45k+ in leads per month.

Attachments

• Airport Transportation Case Study.png
    Airport Transportation Case Study.png
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Attic Insulation Case Study.png
    Attic Insulation Case Study.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Flooring Services Case Study (2).png
    Flooring Services Case Study (2).png
    863.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Flooring Services Case Study (3).png
    Flooring Services Case Study (3).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Flooring Services Case Study.png
    Flooring Services Case Study.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Mexican Products Case Study.png
    Mexican Products Case Study.png
    869.2 KB · Views: 7

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Okay, I finally got some people to bite on my offer and even already got feedback from mostly everyone. It is confirmed that the productized service is highly valuable for my SEO clients.

I had some mindset / thought process changes too and started trying to answer how to use this productized service to to help thousands of people rather than a one on one setting. I don't exactly have the answer to that yet but ideas are coming in.

Next step of the phase is promotion / propagation of the service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.