The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Problems with falling asleep.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hey guys, anyone who's ever experienced that feeling? Like you're tired but you can't actually sleep? Laying in the bed for 30-90 minutes and you're awake?

I had a similar experience about two years ago(it was due to overtraining in the gym, when that happens your heart has a irregular heartbeat). Or maybe it's because I'm working too much prior to bed time, so my mind is still in the work zone? Or maybe it's my diet. Perhaps it's a combination of many factors. I really don't know. Maybe I should consult a doctor.

Some say this is insomnia but I'm not sure.

Any of you have some tips to fall asleep fast?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hey guys, anyone who's ever experienced that feeling? Like you're tired but you can't actually sleep? Laying in the bed for 30-90 minutes and you're awake?

I had a similar experience about two years ago(it was due to overtraining in the gym, when that happens your heart has a irregular heartbeat). Or maybe it's because I'm working too much prior to bed time, so my mind is still in the work zone? Or maybe it's my diet. Perhaps it's a combination of many factors. I really don't know. Maybe I should consult a doctor.

Are you drinking caffeine? Working out close to bedtime? Too much blue light? These can all cause this.

I suggest you eliminate the above factors, and if that doesn't work, try taking some melatonin at night. Get on a consistent routine.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Are you drinking caffeine? Working out close to bedtime? Too much blue light? These can all cause this.

I suggest you eliminate the above factors, and if that doesn't work, try taking some melatonin at night. Get on a consistent routine.
Thanks brother. Nope, I'm not drinking any caffeine at all, just water all day.

It could be a combination of those things. I know for a fact that doing heavy lifting before bed can cause some issues with your circadian rhythm; exercises like sprinting, heavy lifting is a big no. I've learned it's better to do the heavy exercises early in the day, that might be the reason why a lot of bodybuilders workout during the day?

I'm also reading e-books/computer work before bed, so that might be something?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
this happens to me when I'm stressed out.

Try identifying what in your life is keeping you up (there's definitely something)

Then address it
So you mean there's something that's bugging you subconsciously? Some say it's helpful to write these things down before going to bed.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
There is a book from Nick Littlehales (a sleep coach of Ronaldo) called "Sleep: Redefine Your Rest, for Success in Work, Sport and Life". If you want to really solve your sleeping problems for good - just give it a read. Yes, a whole book just about sleep.

I read it a few years ago, and it fixed insomnia issue for me for good. Whenever, I experience it again - I go book to my notes, read them and apply his teachings. Works like a charm.

My biggest takeaway is that there should be a specific pre-sleep routine to follow: dimming lights, room temperature, food intake, activities before sleep etc. He goes into a great detail.

I recommend his book to everyone.

Personal suggestions: invest in a blue-light blocking glasses. Experiment with small dosage of melatonin for a few days. Could try ZMA as well. Your goal with these supplements should be to get into the "habit of falling asleep", not to use them as clutches for a long time.

Some say it's helpful to write these things down before going to bed.

This was one of my takeaways too.

Last edited:

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
So you mean there's something that's bugging you subconsciously? Some say it's helpful to write these things down before going to bed.
Yes, this is likely the case for you. Suffered extremely with something similar a few summers ago, even made a thread about it that got interesting responses.

For me, the root cause was that I was neglecting the promise I made to myself about committing 100% to my business. Was action-faking hardcore and it was eating me up inside.

Once I took action, I starting sleeping fine again.

IMO, you've got something you are avoiding and not confronting.

Hope this helped.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Its likely a combination. I read Why We Sleep and the biggest takeaways for me were
  1. Always go to bed and get up at the same time
  2. Stressing about sleep makes it more elusive
  3. Sleep in a room slightly cooler than you are used to in order to allow your body to lower its temperature (a prerequisite for sleep).
  4. Block out ALL light from your bedroom, especially blue or white LED light
  5. Give yourself 7-9 hours of "sleep opportunity" per night
  6. Sleeping pills are a bad solution, CBTI is a better first treatment
  7. Some people are morning people and some are night owls. Its a natural evolutionary adaptation. The world caters to morning people, putting legitimate night owls at a disadvantage
I personally put on blue light blocking glasses (actual orange tinted ones) and reduce my AC temperature at sunset, and go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, weekend or week day.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Everyone has this problem from time to time. Work on it with a good sleeping routine.

But, I admit. I woke up at 5 AM this morning. I was dreaming about the kitchen remodeling project that we started today. I had a change I wanted to make in that plan. And it woke me up early to check out if my plan would be feasible.

MrCocobutterz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 19, 2021

sounds like your stimulating your brain to much before bed.

I find meditation works great to clear and relax your mind so you can sleep better.

hope that helps.

Cool_Llama

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Nov 10, 2019
Dallas, TX
It's kinda hard to answer this question without knowing your daily routine. But I feel like these solutions will help.

• Workout in the mornings for at least an hour. Working out in the morning is a great way to start the day, it gets the blood flowing, and when it's bedtime, you'll be ready to fall asleep from exhaustion from working out in the morning and taking on the day. I personally do a little bit of cardio(yoga/stationary bike) but mostly do weightlifting.
  • Eat Healthily. I know it's easier said than done for a lot of people but cut the sweets/process foods/junk food as much as you can. I eat simple-clean meals and I feel great. Like salmon, brussel sprouts, and brown rice, etc. NO SODAS, CANDY, FROZEN MEALS, FASTFOOD, etc.
  • Limit screen time/electronics, especially 3 hours before bedtime. Screens emit a blue light which disrupts the circadian rhythm and sleep patterns.
  • Cut out negative/toxic people.
Just a disclaimer. I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one. The answer that I provided are things that I do; I feel terrific and never have problems sleeping. Make sure that you take care of this problem as getting your sleep is VERY IMPORTANT. This is when your body repairs itself.

Good luck to you brother.

D

Deleted85763

Its likely a combination. I read Why We Sleep and the biggest takeaways for me were
  3. Sleep in a room slightly cooler than you are used to in order to allow your body to lower its temperature (a prerequisite for sleep).
  7. Some people are morning people and some are night owls. Its a natural evolutionary adaptation. The world caters to morning people, putting legitimate night owls at a disadvantage
I personally put on blue light blocking glasses (actual orange tinted ones) and reduce my AC temperature at sunset, and go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, weekend or week day.
"The world caters to morning people, putting legitimate night owls at a disadvantage"

Not so much if you live in Spain!

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Forensic Files...does the job every time.

I have suffered from insomnia for years, and this does the trick.

All episodes are free on youtube. Something about listening to the forensics, the interesting stories and the narrators voice.. just knocks me out. And FBI files is also pretty cool.

Another thing which knocks me out is bannana tea. There are receipes on youtube and how to do it, but basically you get a bannana (two or three), and cut it up into pieces with the skin. Put a bit of water in to cover it all up and simmer it for 5 mins on the stove.

Pour the liquid in a cup and drink it when it cools down a bit. I believe its because the high levels of magnesium and potassium, but it will knock you out cold.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
There is a book from Nick Littlehales (a sleep coach of Ronaldo) called "Sleep: Redefine Your Rest, for Success in Work, Sport and Life". If you want to really solve your sleeping problems for good - just give it a read. Yes, a whole book just about sleep.

I read it a few years ago, and it fixed insomnia issue for me for good. Whenever, I experience it again - I go book to my notes, read them and apply his teachings. Works like a charm.

My biggest takeaway is that there should be a specific pre-sleep routine to follow: dimming lights, room temperature, food intake, activities before sleep etc. He goes into a great detail.

I recommend his book to everyone.

Personal suggestions: invest in a blue-light blocking glasses. Experiment with small dosage of melatonin for a few days. Could try ZMA as well. Your goal with these supplements should be to get into the "habit of falling asleep", not to use them as clutches for a long time.

This was one of my takeaways too.
Thank you. Will check it out sir. :thumbsup:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Yes, this is likely the case for you. Suffered extremely with something similar a few summers ago, even made a thread about it that got interesting responses.

For me, the root cause was that I was neglecting the promise I made to myself about committing 100% to my business. Was action-faking hardcore and it was eating me up inside.

Once I took action, I starting sleeping fine again.

IMO, you've got something you are avoiding and not confronting.

Hope this helped.
Yeah man, thanks. I think it's the same issue for me right now. There some areas in my life that I'm not really happy with it and I think my subconsciousness realizes that, hence why I'm struggling with that. You know what some gurus say, your dreams should keep you awake! Or maybe it's the tiesto music :rofl:.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Thank you sir.

Agree. Pills are just going to cure the symptoms, they're not going to solve the core issue which is something else.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Everyone has this problem from time to time. Work on it with a good sleeping routine.

But, I admit. I woke up at 5 AM this morning. I was dreaming about the kitchen remodeling project that we started today. I had a change I wanted to make in that plan. And it woke me up early to check out if my plan would be feasible.
That happens man. My dad who owns an automotive parts store talks to himself while he's asleep.

Last edited:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
sounds like your stimulating your brain to much before bed.

I find meditation works great to clear and relax your mind so you can sleep better.

hope that helps.
This. Will give it a try. Thanks.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
It's kinda hard to answer this question without knowing your daily routine. But I feel like these solutions will help.

• Workout in the mornings for at least an hour. Working out in the morning is a great way to start the day, it gets the blood flowing, and when it's bedtime, you'll be ready to fall asleep from exhaustion from working out in the morning and taking on the day. I personally do a little bit of cardio(yoga/stationary bike) but mostly do weightlifting.
  • Eat Healthily. I know it's easier said than done for a lot of people but cut the sweets/process foods/junk food as much as you can. I eat simple-clean meals and I feel great. Like salmon, brussel sprouts, and brown rice, etc. NO SODAS, CANDY, FROZEN MEALS, FASTFOOD, etc.
  • Limit screen time/electronics, especially 3 hours before bedtime. Screens emit a blue light which disrupts the circadian rhythm and sleep patterns.
  • Cut out negative/toxic people.
Just a disclaimer. I'm not a doctor and I don't pretend to be one. The answer that I provided are things that I do; I feel terrific and never have problems sleeping. Make sure that you take care of this problem as getting your sleep is VERY IMPORTANT. This is when your body repairs itself.

Good luck to you brother.
Thanks brother. I've got 3 out of 4. I'm spending a lot of time in front of the computer before going to bed so that could play a part in it. I rarely have sleeping problems, it just started to happen about a week ago. Maybe going to bed too late is the issue? I remember when I tried a 5-am experiment a year ago, and had no problems waking up early. Could going to bed too late be an issue too?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Forensic Files...does the job every time.

I have suffered from insomnia for years, and this does the trick.

All episodes are free on youtube. Something about listening to the forensics, the interesting stories and the narrators voice.. just knocks me out. And FBI files is also pretty cool.

Another thing which knocks me out is bannana tea. There are receipes on youtube and how to do it, but basically you get a bannana (two or three), and cut it up into pieces with the skin. Put a bit of water in to cover it all up and simmer it for 5 mins on the stove.

Pour the liquid in a cup and drink it when it cools down a bit. I believe its because the high levels of magnesium and potassium, but it will knock you out cold.
That's a very interesting strategy with watching episodes as most experts say it's a bad strategy. It might be cause it keeps you distracted from falling asleep and you fall into this rhythm naturally? A lot of experts say that if you're not asleep after 20-30 minutes then go do something, don't stay in bed, as your mind could associate pain while trying to sleep at night.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
This sounds stress related. I had it similar, experiencing "irregular heartbeat" at night and really I was just burned out from working constantly. Had to take a few days off and just rest.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
This sounds stress related. I had it similar, experiencing "irregular heartbeat" at night and really I was just burned out from working constantly. Had to take a few days off and just rest.
Was it business related?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Was it business related?
the business was new but doing OK. I was simply prioritizing it over my own health. Did not want to leave a task unfinished. Like the opposite of procrastination.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
the business was new but doing OK. I was simply prioritizing it over my own health. Did not want to leave a task unfinished. Like the opposite of procrastination.
Oh ok, get ya man.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's a very interesting strategy with watching episodes as most experts say it's a bad strategy. It might be cause it keeps you distracted from falling asleep and you fall into this rhythm naturally? A lot of experts say that if you're not asleep after 20-30 minutes then go do something, don't stay in bed, as your mind could associate pain while trying to sleep at night.

Hey Martin Z,

This works for me every time without fail. The volume is really low, but just loud enough to be able to understand the words and ...boom.. asleep.

Experts say a lot of things. They research, get data then draw conclusions based on that data. Maybe they put it in a nice pie chart, present it in a respectable journal and then get kudos from their fellow staff and peers.

I prefer trying sh#t and seeing if it works. And this sh#t works for me. So experts can say what they want. Try it and see if it works for you.

I understand why it works for me. I can't control my mind. It goes nonstop 24/7 about everything and anything. The episode quietens my mind as it needs to process what the guy is saying. The narrator tells the story in such a way, that its interesting, so my mind stops for that period.. and then.. bang.. lights out.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hey Martin Z,

This works for me every time without fail. The volume is really low, but just loud enough to be able to understand the words and ...boom.. asleep.

Experts say a lot of things. They research, get data then draw conclusions based on that data. Maybe they put it in a nice pie chart, present it in a respectable journal and then get kudos from their fellow staff and peers.

I prefer trying sh#t and seeing if it works. And this sh#t works for me. So experts can say what they want. Try it and see if it works for you.

I understand why it works for me. I can't control my mind. It goes nonstop 24/7 about everything and anything. The episode quietens my mind as it needs to process what the guy is saying. The narrator tells the story in such a way, that its interesting, so my mind stops for that period.. and then.. bang.. lights out.
Hey Beebop27, thank you. Guess we're very much alike lol.

Yeah man, it's just like with diets. People approach it like it's a religion. Oh no vegan diets are the best. Or Keto and this blah blah blah. You need to find a system that works for you and it looks like it works very well for you.

I remember I had times when I was reading for 30-45 minutes before going to bed(or in my bed), and that made me sleepy pretty quickly. Maybe it's because reading is sort of like mental meditation for your brain? Same thing with your episodes?

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
It seems you are not aware that magnesium and potassium is for getting energy and not for sleeping. Lol:rofl:

It all has to do with routine.

Wake up earlier. You’ll fall asleep way quicker.
There’s not one size fits all though.

I used to fall asleep very late (years ago) until I started waking up at 5AM to go to work. By 5PM I was ready for bed but my job wasn’t finished :smile2:
I was fighting to stay awake by 22.

Edit: treat your bedroom as a sanctuary.
The only thing you should have there, if you have the space, is a bed and maybe some bedside tables.

No tv, no distractions. You get on the bed to sleep, not to watch TV.

Last edited:

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
It seems you are not aware that magnesium and potassium is for getting energy and not for sleeping. Lol:rofl:

Bro I just thought about that. Thanks. I remember I had a time last year when I was waking up between 05:30-06:00am pretty much everyday, and by 09:30-10:00pm I was sleeping like a baby. This could be because staying up very late messes up with your circadian rhythm? Is there some truth to it? I don't think we humans were made to stay up very late.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia

There’s not one size fits all though.

I used to fall asleep very late (years ago) until I started waking up at 5AM to go to work. By 5PM I was ready for bed but my job wasn’t finished :smile2:
I was fighting to stay awake by 22.

Edit: treat your bedroom as a sanctuary.
The only thing you should have there, if you have the space, is a bed and maybe some bedside tables.

No tv, no distractions. You get on the bed to sleep, not to watch TV.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.