The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Private Labeling Shampoo

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Right now I have a marketing funnel set up in a pretty good niche. People are going to my landing pages, downloading lead magnets, joining my list, and even paying for some frontend offers. Now, we are looking to build out some fo the backend with a custom/specialty line of shampoos that I have been thinking about creating for awhile now.

I've been doing some research online and on this forum, but I'm kind of confused about private labeling something like a shampoo. I've seen a lot of threads about private labeling supplements and products from China, but I haven't seen anything about creating and bottling a custom formula, which I'd imagine might be the same process.

I'm probably going to end up creating the first version of the product myself in my kitchen and market testing it against my list. But I also want to explore the idea of outsourcing this to manufacturers if that ends up making the most sense. I know exactly what needs to go into this.

I've started doing some research online and contacting some manufacturers in this space to get a sense of what the process is like, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

Has anybody on this forum private labeled a shampoo, soap, or something similar in nature? If so, do you have any advice and/or resources that you can point me to?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Right now I have a marketing funnel set up in a pretty good niche. People are going to my landing pages, downloading lead magnets, joining my list, and even paying for some frontend offers. Now, we are looking to build out some fo the backend with a custom/specialty line of shampoos that I have been thinking about creating for awhile now.

I've been doing some research online and on this forum, but I'm kind of confused about private labeling something like a shampoo. I've seen a lot of threads about private labeling supplements and products from China, but I haven't seen anything about creating and bottling a custom formula, which I'd imagine might be the same process.

I'm probably going to end up creating the first version of the product myself in my kitchen and market testing it against my list. But I also want to explore the idea of outsourcing this to manufacturers if that ends up making the most sense. I know exactly what needs to go into this.

I've started doing some research online and contacting some manufacturers in this space to get a sense of what the process is like, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

Has anybody on this forum private labeled a shampoo, soap, or something similar in nature? If so, do you have any advice and/or resources that you can point me to?
I suggest that you reconsider buying the product from China. From what you have written I guess you are aware that the product will be mostly water and freight on water is a big, and I think, unnecessary expense.

Freight is often a substantial component in the cost of imports, and if you can buy your formulation made in concentrated form that will remain stable when you dilute it, that could greatly improve your margins.

I would never import anything from China if it is to be applied to the skin. You could have the product custom made for you in the US - quite possibly even in Philadelphia?? Even an unsophisticated factory that makes detergents could handle it, provide you can maintain quality control.

Walter

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City

Do some research and find a more specific target area... I'm not sure about most guys but I grab whats handy while the girl has 20 bottles... Think about a niche such a shampoo "infused with vitamins/chemicals" not just for beards but for guys desperately wanting to grow a thick full beard where really their genetics won't ever allow it... Sell shampoo with "infused chemicals" that maybe are 100% organic that is target to guys with thinning hair desperate to buy anything even knowing it won't work... Sell the "fuzzy feeling" of hope.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Do some research and find a more specific target area..

Uhhh thanks but I already have my niche figured out. Not sure where you gathered that I'm selling just another shampoo product to guys.

It's not even for humans...

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Uhhh thanks but I already have my niche figured out. Not sure where you gathered that I'm selling just another shampoo product to guys.

It's not even for humans...
I didn't mean that in uhhhh offense way, I was giving knowledge from things I've seen that sell never doubting your niche, but since you asked I replied kindly.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
My rule of thumb... if it goes on my body or in my body have it manufactured in the US or Europe. Never from China.

What you're actually looking for is a contract manufacturer since you plan to create your own formula. Consider hiring a cosmetic chemist to help you with this. Worth every penny. Once you dial that formula in you can then contract with a cosmetic manufacturer who will produce the product according to your specifications. Lots of options here in the US.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
My rule of thumb... if it goes on my body or in my body have it manufactured in the US or Europe. Never from China.

What you're actually looking for is a contract manufacturer since you plan to create your own formula. Consider hiring a cosmetic chemist to help you with this. Worth every penny. Once you dial that formula in you can then contract with a cosmetic manufacturer who will produce the product according to your specifications. Lots of options here in the US.
Assuming if it's not for humans I can only guess what it would be target for... Find out what is in the current best selling brands out there then ask owners/vet's with some research or figure out whatever animal it's for those who spend crazy amount of money showing their dogs, horses, or whatever along with top breeders selling the most expensive bloodlines of whatever species what is something that could be beneficial... Just thoughts...

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
@Walter Hay and @AllenCrawley

Thanks for the advice!

I had no intention of going to China for this. Sorry for not being clear. I put together a list of manufacturers that are based in the US and have been contacting them.

Problem is that most have high MOQs. Too high for a product that I haven't really tested. I did negotiate a smaller test order with one company but then saw some red flags so stopped.

The thing that I didn't realize is that some companies will just private label their existing formulas, while others will do the R&D and make it custom.

Right now, we are leaning towards making the first version in our kitchen as we have done extensive research into what is needed to make it. This will give us time to really test the branding and put the product infront of our list to see how they respond. I've already sourced all of the bottles, caps, labels, etc...

If we get traction will v1.0 then I'll improve upon the formula. I guess the ideal situation would have been to go through a manfactuer.. but given costs, risk, etc.. it seems to make sense to just try an mvp version by myself.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Thanks for the advice!

I had no intention of going to China for this. Sorry for not being clear. I put together a list of manufacturers that are based in the US and have been contacting them.

Problem is that most have high MOQs. Too high for a product that I haven't really tested. I did negotiate a smaller test order with one company but then saw some red flags so stopped.

The thing that I didn't realize is that some companies will just private label their existing formulas, while others will do the R&D and make it custom.

Right now, we are leaning towards making the first version in our kitchen as we have done extensive research into what is needed to make it. This will give us time to really test the branding and put the product infront of our list to see how they respond. I've already sourced all of the bottles, caps, labels, etc...

If we get traction will v1.0 then I'll improve upon the formula. I guess the ideal situation would have been to go through a manfactuer.. but given costs, risk, etc.. it seems to make sense to just try an mvp version by myself.
You wouldn't be the first to start off in your kitchen. I hope it works out for you.

A manufacturer should always be willing to make a sample run first. Because technique can often be as important as formula, it might be better to get your small sample run from the place where you expect to order full production runs. That way, if the formula turns out the way you want it, you (or the contract manufacturer) will be able to replicate it.

I have sent you a couple of links to companies that could be suitable.

Walter

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks for the advice!

We started out in our kitchen and it wasn't until nearly a year later until we contracted it out. However, we recently took over the manufacturing because we are able to do so now on a much larger scale (some details in my progress thread).

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

Im guessing y'all didn't really read his op. Or I misunderstood it. He's not looking to outsource this to China or anywhere else. I thought he stated he wanted to start it from his own kitchen, determine if there was a market and kinda go from there. Good luck. Btw, My great grand parents started a patotoe chip company from their kitchen. It's been a national brand for the last 50 years. You can do it!

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
A manufacturer should always be willing to make a sample run first. Because technique can often be as important as formula, it might be better to get your small sample run from the place where you expect to order full production runs. That way, if the formula turns out the way you want it, you (or the contract manufacturer) will be able to replicate it.

I have sent you a couple of links to companies that could be suitable.

@Walter Hay

Thanks for sending the links. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to check my inbox. I'll probably get around to early tomorrow. I saw that you sent me two messags. Thanks again.

That's a good point about a sample run. I got one company to go from 600 to 300. The per unit fee including labels ended up putting the cost to around $1,995, not counting shipping.

That's just to private label their stock formula. R&D would cost around $600 extra for custom, which seemed cheap. But I don't know, maybe it's not that expensive afterall.

I could afford that. However, it doesn't seem logical to me to have 300 units sitting around when I haven't proven that I can sell it.

Also, I don't care much right now about making money. I just want to figure out the process and break even or lose a little money on the front-end marketing. My first goal is to figure out a process... then my long-term goal is to get a whole line of products, along with upsell and cross-sell products so I can stretch out the LTV of the customer. But as far as money goes, what I do care about is losing money by overstocking myself with inventory. So I guess my kitchen sink is looking more attractive.

I even think there is step before the kitchen sink where I put the branding and concept infront of traffic and see how they react.

We started out in our kitchen and it wasn't until nearly a year later until we contracted it out. However, we recently took over the manufacturing because we are able to do so now on a much larger scale (some details in my progress thread).

Thanks, I'll have to join the INSIDERS's and read your progress thread. I think I stumbled upon your website last night. Your products look amazing. Great job!

Im guessing y'all didn't really read his op. Or I misunderstood it. He's not looking to outsource this to China or anywhere else. I thought he stated he wanted to start it from his own kitchen, determine if there was a market and kinda go from there. Good luck. Btw, My great grand parents started a patotoe chip company from their kitchen. It's been a national brand for the last 50 years. You can do it!

Thanks for clarifying things. There are some physical products that I will add and I'll go to China for them. But that's like a year or more down the road at this point.

That's cool that your great grand parents started a chip company from their kitchen. Funny thing is that one of my first business ventures was gourmet popcorn. I was 16 and thought that I was going to make millions selling popcorn. I quit my summer job, slaved away in a kitchen making popcorn then people told me that it looked like dog food. Looking back, I probably missed out on a million dollar dog treat biz. Puppy popcorn.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@Walter Hay

Thanks for sending the links. To be honest, I haven't had a chance to check my inbox. I'll probably get around to early tomorrow. I saw that you sent me two messags. Thanks again.

That's a good point about a sample run. I got one company to go from 600 to 300. The per unit fee including labels ended up putting the cost to around $1,995, not counting shipping.

That's just to private label their stock formula. R&D would cost around $600 extra for custom, which seemed cheap. But I don't know, maybe it's not that expensive afterall.

I could afford that. However, it doesn't seem logical to me to have 300 units sitting around when I haven't proven that I can sell it.

Also, I don't care much right now about making money. I just want to figure out the process and break even or lose a little money on the front-end marketing. My first goal is to figure out a process... then my long-term goal is to get a whole line of products, along with upsell and cross-sell products so I can stretch out the LTV of the customer. But as far as money goes, what I do care about is losing money by overstocking myself with inventory. So I guess my kitchen sink is looking more attractive.

I even think there is step before the kitchen sink where I put the branding and concept infront of traffic and see how they react.
Check out my book dealing with choosing and making labels. You'll find that it's possible to private label small quantities at low cost.

If the company who has offered to supply as low as 300 will do so in containers without labels, you could do the labeling yourself for quite a low cost. You might need to do the labeling in your kitchen.:smile2: Seriously, you might even choose one of the methods that require specific equipment, but it could still work out a lot cheaper than paying too much to the product manufacturer.

Alternatively you could use some of the labeling methods in my book to make mock ups for your concept presentations.

Walter

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I don't want this to turn into a progress thread or anything, so I'll give a quick update then stop for awhile.

I decided to make it myself and ordered all supplies.

Some test packaging came in. It's not too bad. I'm going with a white bottle and gold cap.

Here's a picture of the bottle without the labels. It's filled with milk right now haha.
IMG_1510.JPG

Packaging isn't too bad. I expected the bottle to be wider... but I'm kind of liking the narrow look. I got the wrong kind of cap though, I'll have to see about getting flip caps. But I like the color. I'll probably order more for the first batch of test runs. Then find a higher quality bottle and c

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Just a quick update:

It took us about 21 tries, a crash course in chemistry, about 40 hours of research, and some reverse engineering, but we were able to successfully make and test our first batch.

Version 1 is amazing. It has produced results unlike any other product that we have used on the market. Probably because we cut back on 90% of the junk that the commercials brands use.

What made this particularly hard was that we ended up going 100% natural and soap-free. We had to find some different ways to make the soap. But the extra work was worth it because now we can position the product a few different was in the market.

Total costs = > $150, which mostly went towards ingredients. The work that we put in to create our own formula definitely beats the risk of overstocking with some 3rd party private label formula that we have no control over.

So, that part was really hard. Now comes the even harder part. Selling it. We aren't going to place our big order for bottles and labels until we see if we can even sell this B2C online.

But we are getting closer...

Also, even though this shampoo isn't for humans, I tested every version on myself first and I'm even using it for my own hair.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.