The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding a good private label / white label supplier

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

RobinVL

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Dec 28, 2021
Hi all,

Since a little while I have been writing down a lot of business ideas and I want to try one of them out. But I'm thinking something over and could use some advice. The situation is as follows:

I thought of a new application for an existing (beauty/healthcare) product. I found the product I am thinking of in a store, bought and tested it and it seems to be perfect to me. The only problem is that it is a product from a store from an existing brand so not really suitable for reselling.

What I was thinking about is looking for a private label or a white label manufacturer to recreate (kind of copy) this product for me and making it in my own brand. But I am having trouble finding a manufacturer. Does someone maybe know of a good strategy to finding the right manufacturer/supplier?

Another thing is that I can imagine that I would have to buy a minimum quantity of the product. But I haven't tested the market yet. I think it's a great product but don't know for certain if people agree and are willing to pay for it.

Do you think it could be an idea to buy some of the product in the store, take off the label that is on it, make a nice custom label and do some try-out selling via amazon for example? I would off course lose some money with this but I think it might be less than ordering a large quantity and nog being able to sell it..

Any other ideas maybe to test the market or any tips in general?

Many thanks in advance!

Greetings from the netherlands,
Robin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Does someone maybe know of a good strategy to finding the right manufacturer/supplier?
Why would tou want to copy something existing already?

Furthermore you could reverse engineer and find ingredients that make the current selling product and find sources based on those ingredients

I dont think this is even worthwhile. Find soemthing that needs addressing and dont just repackage shit and sell it somewhere else. You will waste time and money

RobinVL

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Dec 28, 2021
Thanks for your reply Hadji!

I think I might not have been clear enough in my explanation. What I am talking about is a completely new application for an existing product. If you would look at the ansoff Matrix I believe it would fall under Market Development (Focussing on selling existing products into new markets).

This product came to my mind because of a problem I had myself, not because I want fast money by repackaging some existing shit. I had a lot of trouble finding the right product and had to test different products from different brands to find the best one suitable for my purpose (which is way different then the existing purpose).

I think that by rebranding this product to appeal to different people (in a different marketplace) who will use it for a different purpose, I could help them in the way I have now helped myself. I have done some market research and there appears to be a demand. The only thing I would like to do now is try out if people would be just as prepared to pay for it as I myself would be.

The reason I would not think to reverse engineer the product is because of the special ingrediënts in it (20+) and the regulations around it. I think it would, at least at this point, be more efficient to have it produced by a producer with experience.

I hope this clears it up, although off course you might still feel the same way about the idea :).

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I think it would, at least at this point, be more efficient to have it produced by a producer with experience.
Ok thanks for the much needed detail in your follow up post. More info the better on here!

If such producer is capable them surely they will charge you quite a lot since your MOQs will be low initially. You will have to factor this in as they will not care about other variables at this point. You will have to budget accordingly ofc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ninjanags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 21, 2022
Hi all,

Since a little while I have been writing down a lot of business ideas and I want to try one of them out. But I'm thinking something over and could use some advice. The situation is as follows:

I thought of a new application for an existing (beauty/healthcare) product. I found the product I am thinking of in a store, bought and tested it and it seems to be perfect to me. The only problem is that it is a product from a store from an existing brand so not really suitable for reselling.

What I was thinking about is looking for a private label or a white label manufacturer to recreate (kind of copy) this product for me and making it in my own brand. But I am having trouble finding a manufacturer. Does someone maybe know of a good strategy to finding the right manufacturer/supplier?

Another thing is that I can imagine that I would have to buy a minimum quantity of the product. But I haven't tested the market yet. I think it's a great product but don't know for certain if people agree and are willing to pay for it.

Do you think it could be an idea to buy some of the product in the store, take off the label that is on it, make a nice custom label and do some try-out selling via amazon for example? I would off course lose some money with this but I think it might be less than ordering a large quantity and nog being able to sell it..

Any other ideas maybe to test the market or any tips in general?

Many thanks in advance!

Greetings from the netherlands,
Robin

The biggest thing is what value are you adding to this product that would make it better and get people to buy from you, rather than this product you found which you said is "perfect". Can you sell it for cheaper? If its in a store already its been mass produced and cost to make is likely much much lower than you can do. Can you make this product better somehow? You claim its perfect as is though. Is that really the case? If so, people wont buy your product for more money just because you want to make a profit. If you can actually add value in some area though you are onto something, but only if you can add value. If its a direct copy, sorry you're gonna run into big problems and another idea is needed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.