The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Post Your Desk or Work Area! (The Workspace Thread)

Anything related to matters of the mind

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I do have an office. But I still have to be a dad. So the dining room is where it all happens!

That one is me, more often than not, too! Only our dining table is uncomfortable, so I sit on the couch. But I have the little kid helper next to me and everything. ;)

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
That one is me, more often than not, too! Only our dining table is uncomfortable, so I sit on the couch. But I have the little kid helper next to me and everything. ;)
It's not often you catch him like that. He's usually doing laps around me. terrorizing the pets. I sucker him into relaxing with me with munchies and baby Einstein. He does like to sit there and pretend he's doing what I'm doing. Love my Little man.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
damn i feel cheap! I have always thought that my 13 inch macbook air is to small. Found out i can connect external monitor to it today.

found a nice screen, 24 inch, keyboard and mouse but then cancelled order. It was on 220 dollars. Hate feeling like this. And i have more than 35k on the bank. Im serious :( Im i cheap or economic?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

$35K could generate well over $1K-$1.5K fully passive per year. So yeah, in that instance I wouldn't even call it frugal. Just cheap lol

D

DeletedUser394

Pretty simple actually. (I do it).

Find any investment that offers just a 3%-4% (or more) return and you've net yourself $1K-%1.5k profit (before tax).

There are dozens of options that would be fully passive after initial due diligence. Stocks, bonds, etfs, REITs, loans.. I even know a bank that offers 3% interest.

That's how I get the majority of my income right now. I literally do nothing with respect to this. Not even 1 hour a month. Simple low cost ETFs that track major indices.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
That really sums it up!
Not only that but you are probably hurting your productivity by not having at least 2 monitors, some folks like 3 or 4 but you for sure should have two external screens and a real keyboard/mouse.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Not only that but you are probably hurting your productivity by not having at least 2 monitors, some folks like 3 or 4 but you for sure should have two external screens and a real keyboard/mouse.

Already had this argument earlier in this thread. Virtual desktops are underrated. I'm typing this on the laptop I've been using all day...no external monitor but 4 virtual desktops.

External mouse is nice for longer use though.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
My new screen. This is my office from now on!
22654fa9eb52dc3f1c2649eac5dcc46d.jpg

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
FxHhZDb.jpg

My office is a room in my house that's been converted from attic space, so it's got some great angled ceilings. I've been using my 13" Macbook Air to work from for a while, but I finally added a 27" Monoprice 1440p monitor to my workstation, which is now running off the Macbook. I'm big in to DIY audio so those speakers over there on the left were made by me, powered by a vintage Yamaha stereo receiver. I have a plate of glass attached to the wall on the side of the window that I used as a dry erase board for jotting down ideas. Bookshelf is just filled with business related books, with a humidor from one of our TMF members' business sitting on top:cigar:. I also keep a dog bed near my desk for any visitors that might come upstairs during the day.

Also, I chose to have the desk facing AWAY from the wall based on @Get Right 's suggestions earlier based on feng shui. I have to say, I enjoy looking out towards the room instead of directly at a wall all day.

Last edited:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
@trepine Thanks.

I've just tested my setup with vertical monitors and it's WAY WAY better. Websites go below, not broader, so it makes sense. Just ordered a VESA mount, posting pictures soon.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012

It's funny cuz for real developers, a mouse hurts their productivity.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Also, I chose to have the desk facing AWAY from the wall based on @Get Right 's suggestions earlier based on feng shui. I have to say, I enjoy looking out towards the room instead of directly at a wall all day.
Awesome office, love the desk. Try putting something red out to continue with the shui' :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
2.5 seconds for mouse action.

0.1 second for keyboard shortcut.

Exact figures may vary.

There is nothing about a mouse that prevents using keyboard shortcuts to augment. I'm assuming you use emacs or something similar. There are a lot of things a mouse is much faster for, specifically any operation involving large segments of code, moving it around or even just making small edits in different places that would take a long time to navigate to with a keyboard.

Things change for a reason, some people get stuck in the past and want to contend that somehow the past is better than the present. We see this all around us, last generation lamenting how things used to be were better than how they are now. However things change for a reason, and that reason is almost always that the present way of doing things is better and/or more efficient, and that was the driving force for the change to begin with. If we fail to make the change ourselves, it is not the change that is irrelevant, it is us that has become irrelevant in the world that has already changed around us.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
I don't really have a specific place that is my "work space"

1. I have a desktop in my basement office ( its more of just a room to store my junk + have quite time )

2. I have a Macbook Pro in my bed, for late night shit

3. I have another laptop that is either on my kitchen table or on my back deck ( weather permitting ) so I can watch all the golfers and enjoy nature ( my house sits on the 12th hole of a private course, Im like 100 feet from the flag ). I also chip a few in when no one is watching.

4. Sometimes I go into the agency, and there I have a laptop that I usually carry around and go outside with it, but its noisy

Hunter%20Hayes%2017_800.jpg

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
So I ended up buying a clamp mount but didn't notice the back of my desk has an extra layer of wood...

So in a typical portuguese "desenrasca" (the ability of quickly problem-solving with wtv you can find), went to a tools shop, bought 10€ drill (and it worked!) and made something that looks like a hole.

2014-12-18 23.14.08res.jpg

Loving my new vertical setup! Had to switch the forum template to "Mobile style" to make the left column with the avatars look smaller, but it looks and feels great!

2014-12-19 00.53.43.jpg

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Loving my new vertical setup! Had to switch the forum template to "Mobile style" to make the left column with the avatars look smaller, but it looks and feels great!

Apple had portrait monitors back in the 80s already, big CRT ones that had a 90 degree rotating stand. Saw some in newspaper offices but they never caught on in general. You might be ahead of the curve on a resurgence now that monitors are much lighter and everyone's used to the portrait/landscape thing from using mobiles.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I'm away for a few weeks, so I can't take a pic of my home. But this is the smart table I like to use when I'm outside. Has built-in everything!

Attachments

• smartable.jpg
    smartable.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 75

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Apple had portrait monitors back in the 80s already, big CRT ones that had a 90 degree rotating stand. Saw some in newspaper offices but they never caught on in general. You might be ahead of the curve on a resurgence now that monitors are much lighter and everyone's used to the portrait/landscape thing from using mobiles.

A lot of the Dell monitor stands do this as well on the higher end ones. I believe mine are capable of it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.