The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Post all of your ideas and random problems you’ll never execute on...

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
I think more customized service/product solutions across industrustries will be the future. I notice consumers are looking for more customization. Examples:
1.) Clothing Industry
A tailoring business that works with with retail brands

2.) Color makeup for cool skin tones. Too much makeup on the market are for warm skin tones.

These are such good ones!

That’s so true about customization. Body type customization, skin tone customization.

I had the problem with not being able to find cool toned makeup literally anywhere and I found in the reviews on Sephora for Fenty cool Amber bronzer (one of the only true cool bronzers at Sephora) there are *so* many people complaining about how hard it is to find a good cool toned bronzer. So that seems like definitely a strong problem to solve.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
My two pennies worth:
- A commercial cafe coffee machine that's quiet and quick. I don't know how people sit in cafes with all hissing, banging, splurting racket those awful machines make. It's like trying to relax in a steam train factory. I say bring back instant coffee!
- A plank, or something to fix all the wretched tv/hifi/whatever remotes to so you can't loose them. 'Where's the f**king dibber gone!!' Also make it glow in the dark.
Re the silent coffee machine: as a coffee snob connoisseur those sounds ARE the reason I sit in a cafe ;)

polaroid22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Oct 26, 2021
Universal health file. Even in a small country like Belgium, the health files are either not digitized and still on paper or they are using a different database. Everytime I move I need to request my medical history file and take it to my new doctor. Even the hospitals are not linked, same deal, need to take the documents on paper, or request my old doctor/hospital to transfer it to another hospital. And thats in a small country like Belgium, good luck when you are on vacation in Thailand and need an urgent operation.

Thought a lot on this idea a couple years back, but too much for me to handle alone.

Hanabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
I don't know anything about cosmetics, but this reply was an amazing example of how to disagree with someone while showing the utmost courtesy and respect for their opinion. Nice job Hanabi :thumbsup:
My parents raised me to act like a lady:rofl:. Seriously though, if more people in the world were respectful and courteous, this world would be a better place to live for everyone! Social media would be a better experience including this forum. I can't say some of the men on this forum are gentlemen:eyes::smuggy:.
Thanks @Walter Hay, that's encouraging. They're all ideas I've vaguely thought about but are probably ambitious for where I'm at right now (I've never started anything business-like).
I agree with Mr Walter. These ideas are good! When I've had a few ideas to choose from, I analyzed which of them fit the CENTS commandments best. For the ones that fit CENTS, I'd consider which ones fit even more, which ones required least capital, and which ones had enough of my interest to fully be committed to it long term.

TrevorLC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
May 21, 2015
Alarm clock that doesn't have a snooze button, and can only be turned off by getting your heart rate high enough (connected to sensor on smartwatch I guess?). The key is that it cannot have any fail safe, no other way to stop it besides cranking out some push ups or jumping jacks or otherwise smashing it to bits.

Someone make this plz I need it lol

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I had a gas Webber grill. It was a bit pricy but came with a lifetime warranty. The push button starter failed. I called Webber and they sent me a new one after 3 years of use. No questions. There is a market that will pay for an excellent product with such a great warranty and reputation.
There’s a subreddit called buyitforlife

A massive built in customer base for products like this that’s only going to grow

The thing is : how to make this without costing an astronomical amount of money ?
I guess that’s the same problem these companies have, some probably do offer something like this but the price is probably double for basically the same product. Really it’s the customers who are the problem always buying the cheapest, not the companies trying to serve them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here you go, startup cost is virtually nothing but hustle and grind.

1702308173550.png

Herschel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 15, 2022
I want a website that can convert eBook PDFs into dark mode (changing background into black grey and texts into white color) Is there any you know? Or you can build? & It should be easy like just upload and in one click get a dark version of pdf downloaded.

Hanabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jan 22, 2022
Florida
From the Dr. Dennis Gross Daily Peel Pads formula: Alcohol Denat. (SD Alcohol 40-B) Denatonium Benzoate.

According to the Global Harmonized System (GHS) administered by the United Nations, Denatured alcohol (SD Alcohol) has additives that make it hazardous. Including:

Denatonium Benzoate, and also Diethyl phthalate, (a plasticizer used industrially to make plastics flexible) which according to the CDC can be mildly irritating when applied to the skin of animals.

Here is the Hazard statement relating to Denatonium Benzoate:
GHS Hazard StatementsH302+H332 (19.66%): Harmful if swallowed or if inhaled [Warning Acute toxicity, oral; acute toxicity, inhalation]
H302 (100%): Harmful if swallowed [Warning Acute toxicity, oral]
H315 (12.69%): Causes skin irritation [Warning Skin corrosion/irritation]
H318 (35.83%): Causes serious eye damage [Danger Serious eye damage/eye irritation]
H332 (88.98%): Harmful if inhaled [Warning Acute toxicity, inhalation]

I would never have handled in my factory or included in my industrial formulas any of the abovementioned chemicals, and I would not smear them on my face. The acids included in the formula, particularly Salicylic Acid are harmless and very effective exfoliants. Another very effective exfoliant is natural sponge which can be rubbed on the skin to accellerate the naturally occurring daily exfoliation that occurs without chemical intervention.

Walter
P.S. I should add a reminder that many sustances, whether beneficial or harmful, are readily absorbed into the body through the skin
Hello Sir,

From my understanding of the GHS (correct me if I'm wrong), their hazard statements are more for general manufacturing and what people in manufacturing could be exposed to at high concentrations. How does their information relate to the safety of ingredients in cosmetic formulations used by consumers? The Cosmetics Ingredient Review (CIR) is an organization that assesses the safety of ingredients in an open, unbiased, and expert manner. Their expert panel consists of world-renowned scientists in the fields of dermatology, pathology, and toxicology. Here is their assessment report on Denatured Alcohol and Denatonium Benzoate:
If you don't care to read all 43 pages, here is the final conclusion they decided on the ingredients:
"The CIR Expert Panel concluded that Alcohol Denat., SD
Alcohol 3-A, SD Alcohol 30, SD Alcohol 39-B, SD Alcohol
39-C, SD Alcohol 40-B, and SD Alcohol 40-C denatured with
t-Butyl Alcohol, Denatonium Benzoate, Diethyl Phthalate, or
Methyl Alcohol are safe in the practices of use and concentration
as described in this safety assessment, and, that Denatonium
Benzoate is safe as a denaturant."

It is illegal for cosmetic brands to put unsafe products on the market, so it is in the cosmetic brands best interest to put formulations on the market that will be effective and safe (at the correct concentrations) for consumers. I'm not surprised you brought up denatured alcohol; it is a very controversial ingredient (thanks to unethical, anti-science cosmetic brands and general media) in the skincare industry. Denatured Alcohol is an effective solvent for oil-soluble compounds, such as Salicylic Acid. Since it easily evaporates off the skin, it's great for product application. If you're interested in more info on it's safety for the skin, I can link more scientific studies.

Lastly, your statement that many substances are readily absorbed through the body through the skin. In what context do you mean by this? In a manufacturing facility with high concentrations of chemicals and no sufficient PPE in use, this would make sense. However, a consumer's daily exposure to cosmetics, this is not the case. The skin's main purpose is to protect internal organs from outside bacteria and pathogens. The skin's uppermost layer, the stratum corneum, is composed of 15-20 layers of skin cells, and are surrounded by intercellular lipids that prevent substances from passing through. There's also the dermal layer, then the subcutaneous layer. Skincare products normally stay in the stratum corneum. If substances could easily pass through the skin, it would be beneficial for drugs to be administered by transepidermal patches instead of needles. Here's scientific studies talking about the limited effectiveness and challenges of drugs and substances passing through the skin:

P.S. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all person here. There's a lot of misinformation perpetuated by the media and by unethical organizations in the cosmetics industry that fear-mongers consumers in using products and contributing to the growth of chemophobia among the general public, when there shouldn't be. I'm tired of seeing it. War and terrorism are more legitimate things to be afraid of, than your cosmetic products being toxic and potentially killing you.

P.P.S. Mr. Walter, thank you for the value you provide on the forum. I see you give so much of your knowledge and expertise to the members; it's really beneficial to everyone.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
American Alibaba, connecting domestic product designers and domestic manufacturers with zero need for China.

Entrepreneurs could submit RFQs to nothing but “made in the USA” factories and vendors.

Why this doesn’t exist is a wonder to me.

I have no idea how to build a two sided marketplace or the time to learn, otherwise I would have done it already.

Love this idea however I think it already exists, I remember seeing something like this a few years ago, however the name escapes me.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Now that I think about it you're right those were just my initial thoughts. I should've thought twice before posting that
Yeah I thought about it after I replied that maybe those were just your thoughts on it and it was meant to be helpful. All good.

Post some of your shitty ideas

Niklas Seibold

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Apr 19, 2021
Bayreuth/Munich, Germany
Not quite the answer you are looking for,
but it occurred to me today an initial way to try to come up with good ideas
(perhaps revolutionary).
It is answering the following question:
What can I do to solve something that seems difficult,
or even impossible to do?

Let me give you an example:
1) Learn a new language in 1 week.

2) Fix a flat tire, without having to change it for the spare tire.

3) Remember where I left my car keys, wallet, credit card, etc.
Thanks for posting that. This could lead to some great breakthroughs. It puts you in the mindset of DOING and SOLVING a problem simultaneously.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
A friend of mine and I came up with a sound-isolated jar. You scream in it, and nobody will hear you. I think it's unironically an ok idea, but I don't know if it's doable, lol. We also gave it a name: "Yell Coffer". You're welcome if you become a millionaire by making this. Send me one.

Making content about this product will go viral on TikTok.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
A friend of mine and I came up with a sound-isolated jar. You scream in it, and nobody will hear you. I think it's unironically an ok idea, but I don't know if it's doable, lol. We also gave it a name: "Yell Coffer". You're welcome if you become a millionaire by making this. Send me one.
doable or sure, also I won't be doing it.

2 options that come to my mind are:
1. nullify the sound by canceling the amplitude of sound similar to noise-canceling headphones.
2. like gun's silencer reduce the sound.

or a combination of both.

KeithWallace

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jun 7, 2018
Hello Sir,

From my understanding of the GHS (correct me if I'm wrong), their hazard statements are more for general manufacturing and what people in manufacturing could be exposed to at high concentrations. How does their information relate to the safety of ingredients in cosmetic formulations used by consumers? The Cosmetics Ingredient Review (CIR) is an organization that assesses the safety of ingredients in an open, unbiased, and expert manner. Their expert panel consists of world-renowned scientists in the fields of dermatology, pathology, and toxicology. Here is their assessment report on Denatured Alcohol and Denatonium Benzoate:
If you don't care to read all 43 pages, here is the final conclusion they decided on the ingredients:
"The CIR Expert Panel concluded that Alcohol Denat., SD
Alcohol 3-A, SD Alcohol 30, SD Alcohol 39-B, SD Alcohol
39-C, SD Alcohol 40-B, and SD Alcohol 40-C denatured with
t-Butyl Alcohol, Denatonium Benzoate, Diethyl Phthalate, or
Methyl Alcohol are safe in the practices of use and concentration
as described in this safety assessment, and, that Denatonium
Benzoate is safe as a denaturant."

It is illegal for cosmetic brands to put unsafe products on the market, so it is in the cosmetic brands best interest to put formulations on the market that will be effective and safe (at the correct concentrations) for consumers. I'm not surprised you brought up denatured alcohol; it is a very controversial ingredient (thanks to unethical, anti-science cosmetic brands and general media) in the skincare industry. Denatured Alcohol is an effective solvent for oil-soluble compounds, such as Salicylic Acid. Since it easily evaporates off the skin, it's great for product application. If you're interested in more info on it's safety for the skin, I can link more scientific studies.

Lastly, your statement that many substances are readily absorbed through the body through the skin. In what context do you mean by this? In a manufacturing facility with high concentrations of chemicals and no sufficient PPE in use, this would make sense. However, a consumer's daily exposure to cosmetics, this is not the case. The skin's main purpose is to protect internal organs from outside bacteria and pathogens. The skin's uppermost layer, the stratum corneum, is composed of 15-20 layers of skin cells, and are surrounded by intercellular lipids that prevent substances from passing through. There's also the dermal layer, then the subcutaneous layer. Skincare products normally stay in the stratum corneum. If substances could easily pass through the skin, it would be beneficial for drugs to be administered by transepidermal patches instead of needles. Here's scientific studies talking about the limited effectiveness and challenges of drugs and substances passing through the skin:

P.S. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all person here. There's a lot of misinformation perpetuated by the media and by unethical organizations in the cosmetics industry that fear-mongers consumers in using products and contributing to the growth of chemophobia among the general public, when there shouldn't be. I'm tired of seeing it. War and terrorism are more legitimate things to be afraid of, than your cosmetic products being toxic and potentially killing you.

P.P.S. Mr. Walter, thank you for the value you provide on the forum. I see you give so much of your knowledge and expertise to the members; it's really beneficial to everyone.
I don't know anything about cosmetics, but this reply was an amazing example of how to disagree with someone while showing the utmost courtesy and respect for their opinion. Nice job Hanabi :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
I like it too.

Normally a print on demand card wouldn’t work because people want to hand write in them and it wouldn’t seem personal to send one from a print on demand company.

But for this there’s no way to hand write in it so it wouldn’t matter that it’s not handwritten. The person receiving it will be so ecstatic to receive it.

I haven’t looked into it but I hope this exists, it would be sad for blind people if it didn’t.
My wife has an Etsy greeting card business (Ink Drop Design). I'll have to pitch the idea to her and get her take. Even greeting cards that were regular + braille could maybe be a thing that appeals to family that has a blind member.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

A website and database of For Sale By Owner real estate transactions and historic prices, to completely eliminate the need for agents and brokers and the MLS.

That would be incredible!!!!

edit: I would MUCH rather pay a few thousand to an attorney to make sure all the legal stuff is correct rather than a whopping % to a realtor whether they do a good job or not

Last edited by a moderator:

Shonit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Feb 23, 2016
It Is totally not impossible. Scientists have just created a sound black hole. Sound cannot escape the medium once it enters it just like light cannot escape real blackholes.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
A website and database of For Sale By Owner real estate transactions and historic prices, to completely eliminate the need for agents and brokers and the MLS.

That would be incredible!!!!

edit: I would MUCH rather pay a few thousand to an attorney to make sure all the legal stuff is correct rather than a whopping % to a realtor whether they do a good job or not
I like this idea. I have sold without a RE agent every property I have owned. The last one was listed with an agent for a very long time because I was otherwise occupied, and finally I advertised on a Sale By Owner site and sold the property within a few weeks.

For the sale of one of my properties, not only did I advertise and sell it privately, but I also purchased a guide to DIY the conveyancing process, and that went through very smoothly. Such a guide could be a worthwhile bonus on such a site.

Walter

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I would love to have a data website for buying vehicles. What year tends to last longest without maintenance, what year does certain parts seem to go out, etc.

Would help making tons of buying used vehicle decisions

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
A flower pot that changes color according to the moisture level of the soil so people will know and remember the ideal time to water their plants.. or maybe they already exist :) just popped in to my mind

Edit: or somekind of fancy indicator stick that does the same and can be sticked in the pot

Last edited:

Kimmy XD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have always thought of buying a plot of land and create some sort of primitive camping spot (while I still don't know what to do with it) depending on how big it is. It's probably not a very lucrative business as it would probably be dead during winter season, but the maintenance would be so minimal. The land over at NE Washington is pretty cheap with wildlife ranging from gray wolves to grizzlies and black bears. Ah, nature.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, some great posts here to get the head thinking...

Here's one that we've already seen things happening...

Bottomline? The media is trash and few people believe them any longer.

This is a huge opportunity for someone to solve in a non-bias, or a unique way. Already seen some ideas here (like Ground News ) but still lots of opportunity.

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 12, 2022
This one could be big but would require a bit of capital.

I just remembered a conversation I had a couple years ago with a forester who works for the state. They've been struggling to get bids on timber that's too big. The old mills that could handle big timber have been shut down or replaced with modern equipment optimized for smaller timber.

Wood quality has declined as industry has moved towards 2nd and 3rd cutting, faster-growing and smaller trees, with a focus on volume. A specialty mill focused on quality could get these "too big" trees for relatively cheap and turn out a super-premium product.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I have 50 healthy snack vending machines in Phoenix, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, and growing quickly. They pay very well when you put them in the right locations. It turns out people would rather eat healthier snacks/beverages, but they aren't widely available and convenient as the unhealthy options.
Vending machines that sell sun cream and cold bottled water placed in beach car parks..?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So I have a thesis and prediction on what the next big social media platform will be.

I have no desire to start the next big social platform so here you guys go :rofl:please remember me when you are a billionaire

Inflection points:
BeReal is catching on.

As I understand it, it randomly notifies you during the day and you have 2 minutes to post a picture of what you are doing.

This less curated, real style of social media is really becoming popular. Instagram posts are the same with the younger generation, no filters or edits, deliberately ugly lo fi photos.

Snapchat is popular. And the content is like this but you don’t have a feed, only stories.

Instagram stories are popular.

Film and disposable cameras are becoming popular again too.

I saw an app today for an app you can have at your wedding. It’s basically a disposable camera app for your guests. Each person gets to snap 10 pictures.

Now for the social platform idea:

- you can only snap the pictures from within the app
- you can only snap a picture every 3 minutes
- none or very basic built in editing only
- no captions
- possibly no delete button

Basically it’s like combining lo fi content, be real, stories, into a platform that basically has a feed that looks like your camera roll.

A platform where you can just snap pictures and add them to your feed and not care how good they look.

A platform people can go on and actually see what their friends are doing and are into without seeing a bunch of highly polished content.

Not exactly revolutionary but this for real could catch on

I honestly think if there’s going to be a next big social platform this is what it will look like

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.