The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Possible Billion Dollar Idea... Can it REALLY happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Think I've found a genius solution now. It's cheap to produce. And does the work. Without needing any advanced technology. Mind if I steal the market???? I be sure to throw you a bone if I get rich(millions of dollars). Because without this thread. It wouldn't happen. BOOOOOOOOM even better idea. Got damn...... I'm almost amazed at myself. Not to brag or anything. Hehe.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Christian949

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 13, 2015
I don't know but I think nobody would want to go through trash to find a fork. And then this someone will get tired of this and will not wash the hands after digging in the trash. I think I'll pass on this.

Seems like you work in the restaurant and have this issue with forks.

Anyway, great thinking!

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I don't know but I think nobody would want to go through trash to find a fork. And then this someone will get tired of this and will not wash the hands after digging in the trash. I think I'll pass on this.
Didn't think about the hygiene thing. Big no no. And as you said too. No fun going through the trash. A few holes in the plan with that detector thing I think. And time is always money if you need to dig through the trash.

Last edited:

michalo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 27, 2015
Billion dollar idea? Yeah it's true. I can recognize some similarities to apple, uber, microsoft or even airbnb. Go for it!! If you safe 500 bucs for every restaurant in one year than there are such possibilities. If you sell your product to 500 restaurants than you will get 250.000 Euro oh ge go for it!!

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Or... you can print signs and put up in every restaurant: "this restaurant uses technology to trace missing cutlery" - problem solved
Yes, signs!

For customers:
670100.jpg

For employees:
670152.jpg

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
If you safe 500 bucs for every restaurant in one year than there are such possibilities. If you sell your product to 500 restaurants than you will get 250.000 Euro oh ge go for it!!

That doesn't add up. How does the restaurant saving money = a profit for you?

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Hey dude, you are not going to validate the idea here. You have to get with your potential customers on that.

All you will get here in the free zone is a handful of people discussing the idea and a bunch of wantrepreneurs tearing it down because somebody else isn't making millions with it already.

Imagine if I came on here and said "hey, i want to invent a small pokey thing to shove in the ends of my corn on the cob." If these weren't around yet, the majority of people in here would bombard you with all of the reasons that a product like that wouldn't work.

Everything is a stupid idea until somebody does it and crushes it - if you don't believe me, go check out the products that actually end up on shark tank (many of which get an investment from freaking BILLIONAIRES).

The key thing to remember is that it isn't necessarily the idea, it is the execution that counts the most.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Oh man.....I just now caught my breath. That's too funny. ^^

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Hey dude, you are not going to validate the idea here. You have to get with your potential customers on that.

All you will get here in the free zone is a handful of people discussing the idea and a bunch of wantrepreneurs tearing it down because somebody else isn't making millions with it already.

Imagine if I came on here and said "hey, i want to invent a small pokey thing to shove in the ends of my corn on the cob." If these weren't around yet, the majority of people in here would bombard you with all of the reasons that a product like that wouldn't work.

Everything is a stupid idea until somebody does it and crushes it - if you don't believe me, go check out the products that actually end up on shark tank (many of which get an investment from freaking BILLIONAIRES).

The key thing to remember is that it isn't necessarily the idea, it is the execution that counts the most.

Very well said.

I too thought those pokey things were dumb until they made them with the little mini corn on the cob replicas things.

Now we somehow managed to have accumulated about 100 of them in one of our kitchen drawers, and we eat corn on the cob like
maybe twice a year, the 4th and Memorial Day.

MK

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Very well said.

I too thought those pokey things were dumb until they made them with the little mini corn on the cob replicas things.

Now we somehow managed to have accumulated about 100 of them in one of our kitchen drawers, and we eat corn on the cob like
maybe twice a year, the 4th and Memorial Day.

MK
BUT THEY ARE ONLY A BUCK FOR A FEW OF THEM!!!!

and everyone in the world has like 3 in there drawers.....

and cant remember buying them....

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
BUT THEY ARE ONLY A BUCK FOR A FEW OF THEM!!!!

and everyone in the world has like 3 in there drawers.....

and cant remember buying them....

Too True, my wife must of got ours on sale...and again...and again...

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
"Restaurants in the U.S. spend about $500 million on lost silverware and ramekins — which are the small serving dishes used to hold sauces," Pacheco said. "The first time I heard a restaurant supervisor call it 'the cost of doing business,' I knew I was onto something."

Interesting.

The solution is simple but it would depend on how much they want to invest in it as it may take 20+ years to see a return, although the technolnogy is advancing quickly and since they would need it only for a small amount of items than what other retailers use it for, I'm guessing the cost to implement it would be much lower than this.

Implementation costs can be as low as $15,000 for small vendors, and up to $400,000 for larger vendors, depending on the size and number of facilities, says Joseph Leone, who implemented RFID at Wal-Mart, and is now a consultant with RFID Global Solution Inc., Mount Airy, Md.

The stuff would never make it out the door, so no need to dig through the trash.

http://www.inboundlogistics.com/cms/article/going-for-not-so-broke-the-true-cost-of-rfid/

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Oh, I believe you - and even if I didn't - I would never check another man's drawers.
"Oh dear I have no room for pokey things in my drawers because they are filled to the top with dirty magazines":D

JK, pickeringmt actually made a good point.

I just saw the pokey stuff a few times at the store and
never bought them, because:
  • I have no problem getting my hands dirty
  • If it's too hot for my fingers, it's too hot for my mouth
  • Toothpicks do the same trick
For me they are useless, but the 3 pokeys I haven't bought you'll
find in another persons kitchen, and the guy behind the pokey
couldn't care less about me:)

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
"Oh dear I have no room for pokey things in my drawers because they are filled to the top with dirty magazines":D

JK, pickeringmt actually made a good point.

I just saw the pokey stuff a few times at the store and
never bought them, because:
  • I have no problem getting my hands dirty
  • If it's too hot for my fingers, it's too hot for my mouth
  • Toothpicks do the same trick
For me they are useless, but the 3 pokeys I haven't bought you'll
find in another persons kitchen, and the guy behind the pokey
couldn't care less about me:)

Too Funny!!!

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Think I've found a genius solution now. It's cheap to produce. And does the work. Without needing any advanced technology. Mind if I steal the market???? I be sure to throw you a bone if I get rich (millions of dollars). Because without this thread. It wouldn't happen. BOOOOOOOOM even better idea. Got damn...... I'm almost amazed at myself. Not to brag or anything. Hehe.

This was started for anyone who could go with it,I just saw a problem where I worked and took steps to solve it. Doesn't matter how it gets solved. I will take any BONE thrown my way but not requiring it.I am just happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
On a serious note about the idea: Silverware doesn't stick to magnets, if its quality stainless steel, its not magnetic.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
This was started for anyone who could go with it,I just saw a problem where I worked and took steps to solve it. Doesn't matter how it gets solved. I will take any BONE thrown my way but not requiring it.I am just happy to help.
Yeah. I read your first post again after I posted. Nice. But I will definitely throw you some money if I make millions.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
How often is it possible to clear your trash on your own in restaurants in the US?

Or do most just leave everything at their table and walk out? I'm talking fine dining and causal dining.

Happy if someone would answer.

Sorry if it gets a bit off topic and I'm stealing the thread. Just this question though. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
How often is it possible to clear your trash on your own in restaurants in the US?

Or do most just leave everything at their table and walk out? I'm talking fine dining and causal dining.

All I can speak of is the last 12 months my observations I found maybe 4 pieces of dining utensils mostly knives (2) spoons(1) forks(1) on the parking lot when cleaning it , mostly found silverware inside bags of trash at the end of my shift when we have to dump the trash and just see what we find without much digging what comes to the surface.So, I would have to say majority of people dining just leave their stuff on the table, and it is the carelessness of employees that cost restaurants the most money.

Your question was: How often is it possible to clear your trash on your own in restaurants in the US?

Does, this help answer your question?

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011

All I can speak of is the last 12 months my observations I found maybe 4 pieces of dining utensils mostly knives (2) spoons(1) forks(1) on the parking lot when cleaning it , mostly found silverware inside bags of trash at the end of my shift when we have to dump the trash and just see what we find without much digging what comes to the surface.So, I would have to say majority of people dining just leave their stuff on the table, and it is the carelessness of employees that cost restaurants the most money.

Your question was: How often is it possible to clear your trash on your own in restaurants in the US?

Does, this help answer your question?
Thanks for the response. I seriously don't think there is a market for the product I had in mind. Considering also as you said employee theft is the bigger one. It is 75% and customer theft is only 25%.

Also I used Google keyword tool to find out searches on "restaurant theft". Only 40 searches a month.

There seems to be little to no market for this.

Seems like a better market for me. Is to move on to my other idea. With a bigger demand already.

I just much rather deal with a known market right now. Than to try to reinvent the wheel.

Though. Here is a decent article on the subject. That I found while doing re-search on the subject:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/27/dining/27THEF.html

Quite eye opening both from restaurant owners point of view. And in general on what is getting stolen from restaurants. But I guess you already knows this. As you seem to be in the restaurant business.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Thanks for the response. I seriously don't think there is a market for the product I had in mind. Considering also as you said employee theft is the bigger one. It is 75% and customer theft is only 25%.

Also I used Google keyword tool to find out searches on "restaurant theft". Only 40 searches a month.

There seems to be little to no market for this.

Seems like a better market for me. Is to move on to my other idea. With a bigger demand already.

I just much rather deal with a known market right now. Than to try to reinvent the wheel.

Though. Here is a decent article on the subject. That I found while doing re-search on the subject:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/27/dining/27THEF.html

Quite eye opening both from restaurant owners point of view. And in general on what is getting stolen from restaurants. But I guess you already knows this. As you seem to be in the restaurant business.

Nope, I moved to Oklahoma, my only income has been in the dish room I did what I had to do.As far as Business goes I have just ran the books for two tiny businesses Action X Press Printing and Web 8 months in 2010, and Westport Motel 2012-2014 . Other than that , as if it matters=) Is my college degree in business.Sorry, MJ before you, I had slow laners setting examples.

I handled the money deposits, and customer accounts for both businesses. Even added new customers both businesses failed as they were not following rules of the city council something I tried to get them to do, but the owners needed to take action not just me.

I just have spent most of my life as an employee in restaurants.Not sure if it is employee theft as much as negligence.Also,NEVER; NEVER, NEVER reinvent the wheel. Stick to what you know, your doing good with this mindset.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
The article was eye opening for sure I had no clue how much was being stolen.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Leaning towards closing this thread as I am lost in it. What's happening here? Is anyone taking action on the OP? This idea needs to move into execution. Feel free to post a progress thread on this down the road. Thread closed for now pending further development and admin discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.