The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Porking with Purpose (Dad Blog) PROGRESS THREAD

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Pick the Best Tagline for Porking with Purpose. (Or offer your own)

• Where Men Become Dads

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • A Collective for Dads

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Place for Dads and Dads-To-Be

• My Wife is Pregnant!

• It Ain't BBQ

• Pretty Rad Dads

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Not Your Father's Dad Blog

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Hey friends!
I would LOVE some feedback/ideas and who knows, maybe some collaboration!

Site: www.porkingwithpurpose.com
The About page is a great place to start.

Goal - Create a meaningful place for Dads and Men to find the info and tools they need to live better lives.

Ultimate Goal - Sell entertainment products (original children's books, music, shows, movies) to this audience who will find real value in sharing them with their kids.

Secondary Goal - Monetize the site itself with affiliate revenue and other original products.

Never meant to be a personal blog, The Collective hopes to become a large audience of men who put their families first. Many different authors for articles makes it more of a destination for all of us than a place where I write about things important to me.

Progress:
Launched November 2018 with 5 articles
Now have 10 articles with 5 queued up to go out in the next 5 weeks.
Email List of 50 (I personally know most of them)
Using a Facebook Group & Pinterest with Tailwind to drive traffic
Revenue: $0

Thoughts:
The process is working, but patience is a daily battle. My Pinterest presence is exploding, and it is driving traffic. Facebook is also driving some traffic, but all of this "traffic" is minute. More like 3 cars at a stoplight in a small town than the bumper to bumper experience I have on the 405.

I will launch my first real product at the end of April - a Children's Book. I plan to use Kickstarter and announce it when my wife and I announce the birth of our first child. I soft launched the blog on Facebook with the announcement that we were pregnant, and I drove some pretty amazing traffic over those few days. I wish my site was optimized then for email signups like it is now - my list would certainly be bigger. So the book/child announcement will be an exciting day, but I want to build my audience as much as possible prior to that so that I can message them with the book.

So what's holding the site back? I could whine about Pinterest being mostly female or men not making buying decisions or not having a marketing budget, but I have no control over those things currently. One thing I do have control over is the content I'm creating. Is it good? I think so. Is it great? No. I think I need something with real ZAZZ. An email offer that is so exciting that people signup organically, not because I talk them into it. I have some ideas...

What's up with the book? I'm writing myself (domain expertise here). Need an illustrator and a publishing plan. Right now, I plan to self-publish and hold onto my control, but I'd also love to publish with someone else to trade a little Control with some instant Scale. Hey @MJ DeMarco, don't you have a publishing company?

**If you read all this THANK YOU! I'd love some feedback and as always, happy to share my domain expertise with anyone who has a need for copywriting, promotion, video production etc.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Love the idea of building a website for dads! But does the title and URL "Porking with Purpose" really reflect what you are trying to be about?

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA
Is there a large amount of fathers who read dad-related blogs? Just from my intuition I’d say not. “Mommy blogs” are popular, but for fathers?

I think most men have interest in specific things, not just being a father in general.

Frankly, I’m just not sure if this is a big enough of a need to be solved. I’d love to hear why I’m wrong though

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Love the idea of building a website for dads! But does the title and URL "Porking with Purpose" really reflect what you are trying to be about?
Thanks for the reply! This is not the first time I've been asked this question. I'll try to keep my answer brief.

I was well aware that it somewhat pigeon holes the site to the pregnancy phase of becoming a Dad, but can't it still be applied to Dads? I mean, getting pregnant is basically the origin story of Dadhood, right?

I never envisioned my media products being marketed under this banner. That will be its own entity.

As far as blogs go, people find the content, not the homepage, so the advice I was given from a course was that the name wasn't too important, but that the content is EVERYTHING.

I could list a ton of pros and cons, but I like that its humorous and links to sex. Both of these things help define my brand.

Lastly, could I have chosen a better name. MOST DEFINITELY, but I simply needed to get started (or I never would) so I put the hammer down and went for it.

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Is there a large amount of fathers who read dad-related blogs? Just from my intuition I’d say not. “Mommy blogs” are popular, but for fathers?

I think most men have interest in specific things, not just being a father in general.

Frankly, I’m just not sure if this is a big enough of a need to be solved. I’d love to hear why I’m wrong though
Literally had this conversation with my wife last night and I think you are mostly correct. Dads don't seek Dad-based info/entertainment/products specifically. In other words, when you're done being a Dad and the kids are off to bed or in school, you probably want to head to your workshop, flip on the tube or do whatever else you do for fun, right?

Conversely, this is a HUGE generalization. There are many many millions of moms super fired up about being a mom to the point that they read blogs about it, pin things constantly, and shop recommended products and feel good about it because its good for their family. Surely there is a meaningful number of Dads who would do the same if it's only a fraction of the mom number? The hard part is finding them.

Anecdotally, when I talk about this with Dads (even strangers) they get super fired up about being a Dad.

I do question it constantly though... My aim is to sell entertainment media products to parents. Am I wasting my time fighting this monumental battle to build an email list of Dads, just because I'm (going to be) a Dad? Maybe... or maybe they'll be boiling hot leads for my products if I can finally find them.

There is something undeniably powerful about the "Dad" label. Unlocking its power is something I'm still trying to put my finger on.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Is there a large amount of fathers who read dad-related blogs?

Hard to tell. There aren't any good dad-related blogs.

It's a chicken or the egg question.

Maybe no one reads dad blogs because there aren't any.

Or maybe no one writes dad blogs because no one reads them.

@Blake_Writes will just have to show us!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I think you gotta drop the affiliate banner ads. They interrupt the text too much, it's annoying. It was tough to skim through your smoothie recipe article. I think leaving the affiliate text links are ok.

Your goal should not be monetization at this point. It should be building the audience.

Content will get better as you write more. You gotta write write write. It needs to be compelling. Like, after I read one, I gotta read another. A lululemon infomercial isn't going to do that.

You're not going to get much traction writing one article a week. Unless they were huge, high-value posts, like a waitbutwhy.com post. Will need to post more of the shorter articles, or make the articles longer and compelling.

Get rid of the tags and categories on each article card. It really clutters up the page.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think you gotta drop the affiliate banner ads. They interrupt the text too much, it's annoying. It was tough to skim through your smoothie recipe article. I think leaving the affiliate text links are ok.
Agreed. Also the block at the bottom of each article showing "related" products. Most people are aware blogs are monetized, but they want it to be less overt.

I also couldn't get past the font/logo at the top. I know you're probably trying to make it kid-like and cute, but it doesn't resonate with me.

Do you have a content plan? It seems like it's just random articles at this point. What's the flow? What are you trying to educate about/accomplish? For example, you have some articles about the different appointments, but they're mixed in with other articles. Is there an easy way I can find the 12-week appointment article when I want it? Why not make it its own series in a dedicated part of the website (kind of like the parenting books where they go by month/week).

Your call to action to signup for the email list isn't compelling. I don't understand what I'm actually signing up for. Is there a secret "Collective" part of the website? Or am I just going to get emails when you post new articles? Or are you going to send me random emails full of affiliate links?

To boil it down: build trust before monetizing.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Your goal should not be monetization at this point. It should be building the audience.
Agree.

My kids are now 18 (oi!) and 14. Very different stages & challenges as a parent than when they were 2 months old, 4 years old, or 9 years old. But there are still common themes--like, how do I parent so I raise a responsible adult? If I die today, what will I want to have instilled in my kids?

And my hunch is that there's a common values-based profile of dads who you want to target: dads who are involved & spend time with their kids, and who consciously think about their role as a father & how they want to do that. A lot of these dads are involved in other values-based things--church/religion, school/community volunteering, scouting, etc.

You might consider figuring out what your angle is that sets you & your site apart from others in your niche. For example, there are zillions of exercise & fitness blogs, but Nerd Fitness has created a great angle & audience profile in that niche.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Also, gotta say that the site name is weird--porking has a sexual connotation.

If I was looking for info about being a dad, I'd definitely NOT click on that URL. Sounds NSFW or possibly fetish-y.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
One recommendation I have for your pop-up is to have it delayed a bit (1+ minutes). It popped up before I even got a chance to read anything on your pages. Let people read your stuff before they get bombarded with an email opt-in.

Yeah, it will show up less, but you'll have a higher opt-in rate. 1% of 1000 is less than 20% of 100.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017

If I was looking for info about being a dad, I'd definitely NOT click on that URL. Sounds NSFW or possibly fetish-y.

This was my exact reaction. I waffled between "I don't know what this means" and "do I need to open this in a private window?"

OP with the audience you're aiming for, you should strongly reconsider the name. It's totally disconnected from who you want to reach and what you're trying to be.

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Wow! Thanks for all the amazing insights.

Shortest answer: I just had to get started!

Longer answer: I've already implemented a few of these great suggestions. I have a brand refresh slated for April, and I'll be debating the name leading up to that as well. Article content certainly needs more focus. I recognize I need to re-evaluate everything in the context of:

Brand -> Audience -> Product

Will the site find the right audience to market my products?

More questions:
If I put the product (Children's Book) at the center of my universe, what tools can I create to best market it?
-OR-
Am I overthinking it?
Do I just prop up a Kickstarter, run a bunch of social ads, and see what happens?

I've always seen the site as my media platform -- Books, Shows, & Movies. Articles were simply the easiest place to start, but maybe all that's unnecessary?

Thanks again for all the feedback! I'll be back with more details as soon as I make some more headway.

You guys rock!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Shortest answer: I just had to get started!
Agreed, and one of us probably should have recognized that.

However, most people here that I know don't give pats on the back just for starting something. If you take the feedback that was given, and implement changes that are consistent with your vision and market demand, I believe you'll see impressive results.

I'm interested to see where this goes.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Hard to tell. There aren't any good dad-related blogs.

It's a chicken or the egg question.

Maybe no one reads dad blogs because there aren't any.

Or maybe no one writes dad blogs because no one reads them.

@Blake_Writes will just have to show us!
@amp0193 beat me to it.

Most of the dude blogs are either of the pickup variety, or spend all their time b*tching about various negative social forces. Maybe there's a market of readers who are too old for pickup, and too busy to read complaining.

Still not sure I get the site name, but fair enough. My only other general impression is that the the use of all the stock photos makes it look like the sort of page someone uses to sell me life insurance. Is there a way to make it a bit more real and personal?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Learned something new today. I went Urban dictionary to search for that word, looked at the 1st explanation, and then realized "Porking with Purpose" suddenly has a new meaning.....and it's very witty.

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Learned something new today. I went Urban dictionary to search for that word, looked at the 1st explanation, and then realized "Porking with Purpose" suddenly has a new meaning.....and it's very witty.
For sure! It's what I was calling the "process" of trying to get pregnant.

I eventually just talked myself into the idea that it was fun and playful while subtly linking to sex (that's never a bad thing, right?)

I don't discount the possibility that it's off the mark, but sometimes a little mystery helps get a click, amirite?

Anyway, again... just had to get going, but it will be re-evaluated in the coming months. I had to put it out there and get the feedback to know - is it funny and intriguing with a splash of sex appeal? Maybe in the short term. My hunch is that for the long term, the dominant opinion here will probably ring true.

If I need to change the name, its not the end of the world. Hell, I've rebranded broadcast tv networks with millions in their audience... As long as you message your existing customers, they'll come along for the ride (and even be excited for what might change and improve)

FWIW, I launched on FB with 1 post that drew thousands of impressions in a couple days. It went something like this... Alissa (my wife) and I are pregnant! Check out how we did it - www.porkingwithpurpose.com/about.

Great hook, right? Is he going to talk about sex? Maybe they had trouble and overcame it? There's plenty of mystery to garner CTs and it certainly worked.

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
So, I'll save us a summary of what's next for PwP, PLENTY TO DO THERE!

I'd love to pick some brains here on my actual product - if you were going to launch a Children's Book, how would you do it?

• Simple sales page?
  • Kickstarter?
  • Clickfunnels?
  • All of the above?

Social and Email lists are a given obviously, but I'm curious about the platforms I choose.
What's the base?

I get that it needs to be on as many channels as possible once it's available, but where do I drive traffic pre-launch?

And at launch, do I just bend to the almighty Amazon beast? Or drive my own traffic to my site and price it the same as Amazon?

THANKS!

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Here's the FB post for those that might be interested... I forgot, I actually had my wife make the announcement and tag me. Same reach - softer push.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 8.07.13 AM.png

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
For sure! It's what I was calling the "process" of trying to get pregnant.

I eventually just talked myself into the idea that it was fun and playful while subtly linking to sex (that's never a bad thing, right?)

I don't discount the possibility that it's off the mark, but sometimes a little mystery helps get a click, amirite?

Anyway, again... just had to get going, but it will be re-evaluated in the coming months. I had to put it out there and get the feedback to know - is it funny and intriguing with a splash of sex appeal? Maybe in the short term. My hunch is that for the long term, the dominant opinion here will probably ring true.

If I need to change the name, its not the end of the world. Hell, I've rebranded broadcast tv networks with millions in their audience... As long as you message your existing customers, they'll come along for the ride (and even be excited for what might change and improve)

FWIW, I launched on FB with 1 post that drew thousands of impressions in a couple days. It went something like this... Alissa (my wife) and I are pregnant! Check out how we did it - www.porkingwithpurpose.com/about.

Great hook, right? Is he going to talk about sex? Maybe they had trouble and overcame it? There's plenty of mystery to garner CTs and it certainly worked.

Now I see where you're coming from. Clever. You can literally put those 3 words on a t-shirt and sell them. Usually parenthood blogs tend to be kinda dry and serious. If you take this into a more funny direction like what you say, and make it light-hearted, and perhaps on top of that, repost funny dad stuff in your social media to drive traffic to your blog. Stuff like this: Classic Dad Moves (@classicdadmoves) • Instagram photos and videos

You would probably end up attracting younger dads who take life less seriously, because the serious ones would think it's NSFW (like other mentioned) and click the Back button.

One thing to note, though, is that some new dads tend to get very excited over their new child (usually firstborn child), and setup blogs and children-related sites like what you're doing now (my cousin was one of them). But as the kids grow up, gradually, they lost interest in the whole thing and it just fizzled out. Maybe this is something you've to be aware of.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
RE: the name and the playfulness angle, I don't mean to come off like a dried-up prune about it. I'm in in your target audience (or was 1-2 years ago), and my main hangup was the head-scratch factor.

When I first saw it, I couldn't tell the point of the site from the name alone. Then my 80s movie references filled in the gap, and I'm thinking maybe this is something different than you intend it to be.

Nothing against racy or playful, I just wasn't sure what I was in for, you know?

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
RE: the name and the playfulness angle, I don't mean to come off like a dried-up prune about it. I'm in in your target audience (or was 1-2 years ago), and my main hangup was the head-scratch factor.

When I first saw it, I couldn't tell the point of the site from the name alone. Then my 80s movie references filled in the gap, and I'm thinking maybe this is something different than you intend it to be.

Nothing against racy or playful, I just wasn't sure what I was in for, you know?

Completely agree. I think my short term fix is to attach a tagline to it that further explains-

A Collective for Dads
A Place for Dads
She's Pregnant!
Where Dads are Born

I don't love any of these, but I love branding and look forward to refining it.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Completely agree. I think my short term fix is to attach a tagline to it that further explains-

A Collective for Dads
A Place for Dads
She's Pregnant!
Where Dads are Born

I don't love any of these, but I love branding and look forward to refining it.

3rd one sounds real smooth to flow with the name.
You need to change the logo though. It looks really early 1990s amateurish, unless that's your goal.
Just use a masculine, thick sans-serif font and give it a navy blue color or something.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
She's Pregnant!

Yes, much would like to see this appended. There's a fine line here between crass and wittiness. "Porking" generally is negatively connotative.

Hey @MJ DeMarco, don't you have a publishing company?

Yes but I only publish my own stuff, adding authors would mean more administrative headaches which then would translate to more employees. I'll pass. ;-)

Thanks Blake for the detailed thread.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Hey man, I started a Dad blog a few years ago. It's not up and running anymore, but I still own the domain, and it's always in the back of my head as something I'd want to start again sometime down the road.
My plan with the blog was to make it part of my funnel to sell physical products to Dads. My first product was going to be a diaper bag for Dads. I was going to crowdfund it and design based on input from other Dads. Had an explainer video made and everything. I got cold feet at the end and never pulled the trigger.
I also helped run a Facebook group for Dad's with another Dad that never gained much traction.
I say all that to say this...there's not much out there in the way of Dad blogs. Or, maybe I just suck lol. There are a few that seem like they are doing okay, but there's not much. Life Of Dad and Fatherly are big, and The Bad Dads Club is a pretty successful Ecom store.
I found that you either had to be a social justice warrior type and preach that Dads need all the parental rights that Moms have, be a stay at home dad and blog about that, or you just post funny/obnoxious stuff about your kids/parenting.
I didn't find much of a market. Most people that buy Dad stuff are the Moms.
I hope you find more success than I did. If you ever want to chat about it, just shoot me a message. Good luck man.

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Hey man, I started a Dad blog a few years ago. It's not up and running anymore, but I still own the domain, and it's always in the back of my head as something I'd want to start again sometime down the road.
My plan with the blog was to make it part of my funnel to sell physical products to Dads. My first product was going to be a diaper bag for Dads. I was going to crowdfund it and design based on input from other Dads. Had an explainer video made and everything. I got cold feet at the end and never pulled the trigger.
I also helped run a Facebook group for Dad's with another Dad that never gained much traction.
I say all that to say this...there's not much out there in the way of Dad blogs. Or, maybe I just suck lol. There are a few that seem like they are doing okay, but there's not much. Life Of Dad and Fatherly are big, and The Bad Dads Club is a pretty successful Ecom store.
I found that you either had to be a social justice warrior type and preach that Dads need all the parental rights that Moms have, be a stay at home dad and blog about that, or you just post funny/obnoxious stuff about your kids/parenting.
I didn't find much of a market. Most people that buy Dad stuff are the Moms.
I hope you find more success than I did. If you ever want to chat about it, just shoot me a message. Good luck man.
Thanks for the insight @AnAverageJoe. Very helpful in my journey. I'm beginning to discover many of the things you talk about here.

My approach (much like yours) is to create an audience with the site then sell them my own products - in my case entertainment media products like books, shows, music, podcasts, movies.

I never wanted to create a Dad blog. Rather, create a place for men that happen to be Dads to find things that make them a better/more fulfilled/more entertained MAN (and then by extension - Dad).

Of course, we all know that women make the buying and decisions and dominant the Parenting sector, so I'm always fighting an uphill battle from the standpoint of making sales, and more importantly, finding an audience.

I've come to the conclusion that I can do everything I can to try to scale Porking with Purpose, but my media products will need to exist separately. They need their own Marketing strategies, Promotion schedules, and Success metrics...

Unfortunately, there isn't much overlap between the site and forthcoming Children's Book - because why would I constrain myself to only marketing my Children's Book to men?
Unfortunately #2, if the Media Products are my priority, why did I start the website in the first place? I know the answer, but not asking the question is like hiding my head in the sand!

I know some of the answers, but I am in a time of re-evaluation to find the most productive (and most lucrative) way forward.

One thing is for sure - there will be a Children's Book! And that is exciting... just like publishing a few articles to the blog was a few short months ago. #TrustTheProcess

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
One thing is for sure - there will be a Children's Book! And that is exciting... just like publishing a few articles to the blog was a few short months ago. #TrustTheProcess

I'd love to follow along on this journey. Children's books have been interesting to me for some time because of the awful things I've read to my kids that somehow pass for a children's book.

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Quick Update:

I've spent some time learning as much as I can about self-publishing a Children's Book. They bring their own unique challenges, namely illustration and the need for a hardcover. I have a plan which also informs my crowdfunding launch plan.
I've spent some time learning best practices there as well. Essentially, I've back timed everything from the time the book will go live to the world to today. The process has been outlined - now its time to execute!

Oh, and I hired an Illustrator. That took a lot of time, but I'm excited about who I chose.

Moving forward-
I feel overwhelmed by the task of collecting my future customers... lead magnets, landing pages, content marketing... if only I could just make a great book and put it out there! But, sometimes you gotta buckle down and do the work you don't necessarily like, right?

I do hope to solicit some advice here soon.
I'll be back when I know exactly what to ask for.

Thanks for all the inspiration!

Blake_Writes

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 13, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
UPDATE: My Children's Book is inches from the finish line. I'm thrilled with how the creative has turned out & am confident I've created a book that parents and children will love. I say this as objectively as I can of course, but one thing is for sure- its not bad.

I pumped the brakes on the launch due to Amazon closing access to their Amazon Advantage portal for new accounts. This won't stop the project indefinitely, but it is a game changer for my distribution model. All signs point to them reopening the portal to new accounts, but no one knows when.

My current plan forward is to run a kickstarter to presell books, then order as big a print run as I can and focus on strategies to sell them in bulk like Pre-School chains - Ideas here would be welcomed. (Target audience 0-6 yrs. -- Social Issue: Bullying)

I'm considering fast-tracking by skipping the KS altogether and just ponying up the bucks for the print run. 2 reasons:
1) Time (get moving already!)
2) Motivation (taking the financial hit will spurn extra motivation to sell, sell, sell!)

Worth noting that there is almost no downside to running a KS campaign besides the time and energy it takes to manage it. The exposure generated is incredibly valuable (even from a campaign that doesn't hit its goal or get funded).

UPDATE 2: I've shut down my Dad blog. The reasons are too numerous to list, but the key learnings from the process are 1000x more valuable than the time/money lost, so absolutely no regrets.

A quick post mortem/brain dump on the experience:
We hear it here all the time - JUST DO IT!

My personality is the opposite. I'm the type who researches, learns, reads, ACTION FAKES, then moves on to the next. I didn't have all questions answered when I dove in to this venture, but that was the best part. I just did it. This is the biggest swing with the most exposure that I've taken in my professional life, and all I can say is that I can't wait to fail again -- BIGGER! (Has anyone ever written a book about Scaling Failures? Could be a cool twist on the Fail Fast model.)

Admittedly, there were a lot of things I wanted to try that could have made the project more viable:
1) I never really hit phase 2 of my marketing where I went after some more aggressive strategies to grow traffic.
2) I could have plunked down some cash for a boatload of content.
3) I could have gotten extra serious about SEO and keywords and created the right content for my audience. (finding them proved quite elusive)
4) I could have found better affiliate agreements for products and subscriptions my audience would like.

So why did I shut it down before trying everything? Time + Effort.

Sometimes there is no pivot. Affiliate revenue will always be incremental. The time and effort it takes to get to a critical mass that in turn delivers meaningful revenue? More than I'm willing to take.

It also became increasingly clear that I couldn't use the site as a platform to sell books. My site's theme linked to sex, which doesn't really work when you're trying to promote a book for children.

So, you might ask, why not just separate them? Done. What are we left with?

A product without distribution
-&-
a distribution platform without a (real) product.

Pretty easy to make your pick, right?

"Why can't you do both?"

Better question- Why put energy behind a venture where you can't see an outcome that brings desired results?

Basically, I couldn't think of a product that adds value for Dads that they would actually pay for.
Am I wrong?

Even if there is a product, you'd have to find an alternate route to get it in front of them - Dads don't read Dad blogs or search out Dad products to buy. Moms do!

Thanks for reading! And as always, if I can provide value to you - Video Production, Copywriting, Endurance Sports... hit me up!

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
Why don’t you vet your idea for a dad blog using Google first. I like to qualify most of the ideas I have through Google before I even attempt to create the product.

The question is is there actually a market for what you’re trying to create. I never wanna swim upstream, I just want to go with the current.

Go to google and create an ad words account. Launch the keyword research tool and you can do searches on common search phrases on Google to figure out what people are looking for.

Find out what the search volume is, if you can’t find any searches for what you were trying to create, Then there is no point in creating it in the first place. Create products for needs, don’t try to create products for markets that don’t exist.

The next phase of my research would involve creating some basic landing pages, and then running some paid advertisements through Google ad words, Facebook, or some other medium to see if I could drive traffic to the site. Even if your long-term strategy is not to use paid advertising, paid advertising is an amazing way to figure out before you invest too much time and effort, if you can even generate interest in the product or idea that you have.

Find the hook, find the angle, find the way that you can get people interested in what you’re doing. If you can’t do that before you create it, don’t created in the first place. You’ll be wasting your time, and you’re better off coming up with something else, testing it, and then moving forward with a viable idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.