The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please critique my exercise regimen

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
I am presently seeking advice and critique on my current exercise regimen. I am currently working out three times a week and my program involves jogging on the treadmill with an incline, elliptical machine and biking. I jog on the treadmill with an incline for around 2miles and the other 3 miles are on the elliptical machine and bike. My goal is to lower my body fat percentage and stay healthy. Please critique my program and let me know if you need additional details. I am looking forward to your replies!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
If your goal is to lower body fat percentage then 90% of your efforts will come from diet.

You can run for hours a day and burn 4000 calories, but if you eat 10000, you're gonna be fat.

Focus on diet. Run and exercise for the discipline and because it's great for you in so many ways.

But don't expect a loss of body fat % unless you're on top of your diet.

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I am mindful of the foods that I am eating and on a caloric deficit. Furthermore I am following the control command and aware of most of the macros, micros and minerals that I am consuming.

What is your opinion on the exercises? Should I add/subtract anything else for cardiovascular health? I know that swimming is good and looking to add that to my program.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly the main thing to look for is that you enjoy it

A lot of people get into this mindset that you aren't working out unless you're killing yourself so bad that it hurts etc - that's all bullshit

Just find an activity that increases your heart rate and forces you to focus - and make sure you actually enjoy it

Because if you aren't having fun, you're not going to be consistent with it

So if you like running, you'll be fine

If you like biking, do that

I took up both Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai like 4 months ago and I've found that martial arts are the most fun, engaging workouts for me. Plus there's the added benefit of strength, coordination, and confidence that comes with learning how to fight properly

Everybody has their own thing - just make it work for you

But really just focus on the diet and make sure you enjoy it so it's easier to be consistent

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
Just saying, but look closer to your daily routines. If you are running 3 times a week, or doing another activity, that's awesome but you can get even better results when you are focusing on your whole DAY everyday.

What I mean by that. Look how much you are moving through the day. Count your steps. You can check it using any smartwatch (mi band ect.). I had really good results without doing any cardio, but keeping my steps around 12-14k per day.

And drink a lot of water. Like 40-60 ml for every kg of your body weight.

Also one more important thing is that even though you are not loosing weight it doesn't mean you are not losing fat %. It's just your body defending from loosing weight and stores water.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
You state your goal is to drop your body fat percentage, which is reasonable. However, you're doing nothing but cardio. Unless you want to look scrawny, then you need to lift weights.

If your mobility is good, then start with a barbell straight away.

If your mobility is not good, then start with some machines, dedicate 30 minutes a day to stretching, and move to the barbell ASAP.

Starting strength, strong lifts, or something similar should form the foundation of your weightlifting journey.

I'm also not into running or biking for cardio. Running, for beginners, can be quite high impact and do more harm than good. Biking is less impact, but incredibly inefficient.

For cardio, I'd say focus on resistance cardio (i.e. moving light weights through space many times).

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
You state your goal is to drop your body fat percentage, which is reasonable. However, you're doing nothing but cardio. Unless you want to look scrawny, then you need to lift weights.

If your mobility is good, then start with a barbell straight away.

If your mobility is not good, then start with some machines, dedicate 30 minutes a day to stretching, and move to the barbell ASAP.

Starting strength, strong lifts, or something similar should form the foundation of your weightlifting journey.

I'm also not into running or biking for cardio. Running, for beginners, can be quite high impact and do more harm than good. Biking is less impact, but incredibly inefficient.

For cardio, I'd say focus on resistance cardio (i.e. moving light weights through space many times).

If you want to get into lifting-

+1 for Starting Strength or Strong Lifts

You can have a great body with these 5 exercises, as long as you're eating right:

Squat - Bench Press - Military/Overhead Press - Barbell Row - Deadlift

These 5 exercises are known as Compound Lifts because they all kinda target the entire body when executed properly.

You get a balanced progression when you do these.

Just start low weight and focus on form before adding weight.

Hire a personal trainer for an hour or two and tell him that you just want to focus on these 5 exercises and you want his help understanding proper form. Don't let him make you do 192803 different exercises.

I would advise anyone getting into lifting to learn the compounds and how to activate your muscles properly (with proper form) before messing around with more isolated lifts.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I'll wade in here as I'm doing the exact same exercises. I don't think You're in danger of looking scrawny unless you have a marathon runners physique as your legs are getting a good workout especially on an incline.

I'd consider adding 10 minutes of rowing on max resistance for a useful core and arm workout though.

I will switch static cycling with rowing 2-3 times a week.

If you want to really drop the weight quickly consider Intermittent Fasting. Dead easy, loads of health benefits and the weight plummets (not difficult to lose 4-6lbs a week of FAT loss, NOT fat+muscle). Check out 16/8 as a starting point and then you may want to move on to OMAD at a later stage and possibly then adapt to a KETO diet. I'm on OMAD + KETO and its not hard to lose 1lb a day consistently and the health benefits are truly worth the effort (not that much effort is required).

A good overview is this video:

Improvement Pill

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
I am presently seeking advice and critique on my current exercise regimen. I am currently working out three times a week and my program involves jogging on the treadmill with an incline, elliptical machine and biking. I jog on the treadmill with an incline for around 2miles and the other 3 miles are on the elliptical machine and bike. My goal is to lower my body fat percentage and stay healthy. Please critique my program and let me know if you need additional details. I am looking forward to your replies!

It all depends upon your goals, age, current fitness level, etc. The above commenters all have good ideas.

I'll just say that your current regimen is more or less three of the same excercise. All cardio, all lower body. Same muscles (more or less), same energy systems. It is like a fitness regimen consisting of 1) barbell bench pressing 2) dumbell bench pressing and 3) incline bench pressing.

Doing three different types of cardio is certainly a lot better than sitting on the couch! So, congrats on that. But I would suggest picking a single cardio exercise and adding in some lifting and some mobility work or practice like yoga.

Cardio is definitely important. But it is a single aspect of health and fitness. So many people think "steady state cardio = healthy" and it simply isn't true.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
What is your goal?

Get your body fat percentage from what to what? What do you mean by "stay healthy"?

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Cardio is definitely important. But it is a single aspect of health and fitness. So many people think "steady state cardio = healthy" and it simply isn't true.

His goal is weight loss so cardio plus diet gets him there. Once he’s on point he can add in resistance training. Plus he is getting some upper body workout already with the Cross Trainer (elliptical machine).

Yoga or indeed Tai Chi or Kung Fu would be a great way to increase flexibility. Especially if he decides to move on to weight training.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Treadmill and a elliptical machine are ok. Find a row machine.

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
IMHO "cardio" (i.e. long duration, low intensity workouts such as jogging) is an incredibly ineffective way to lose weight.

Being on diet (caloric deficit) and eating right proportions of macronutrients is crucial. Adding cardio and movement through the day will speed up his progress.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
IMHO "cardio" (i.e. long duration, low intensity workouts such as jogging) is an incredibly ineffective way to lose weight.
But these all these guys do are long distance cardio and they're super skinny:
250px-Stephen_Kiprotich_at_the_London_2012_Men%27s_Olympic_Marathon%2C_12_August_2012.jpg

dino-sefir-of-ethiopia-in-mens-london-2012-olympic-marathon-CW28AY.jpg

920x920.jpg

39b54465-e641-4495-b039-585344704922.jpg

20160124__25DCGCENw~1.jpg

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

90 percent diet.

10 percent strength training compound movements.

SLEEP important.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Lift Weights
Do Cardio
Eat meat, seafood, vegetables, nuts, seeds and oils

What if I do mixed martial arts and eat well, I'm confused.. which one actually works. they all work if your diets on point. Granted your not gonna get muscle running but they all work.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Just like every other workout thread I’ve sat in on In the past 15 years, this one has quickly devolved and become useless, bordering on circlejerking and mental masturbation :rofl:

Oh yeh it's insanity. Here's my exercise regimen. Ok great your doing exercise its working then..but OP just do all of this and this but not this because of this, and maybe also.......

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What if I do mixed martial arts and eat well, I'm confused.. which one actually works. they all work if your diets on point. Granted your not gonna get muscle running but they all work.
Hodge_Twins.jpg

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Get rid of carbohydrates

Stop running or any cardio

Start lifting it doesn't need to be heavy

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
My suggestion is to not overthink it and just aim to move one hour a day while eating clean

Use MyFitnessPal to track your target calories and drop them SLOWLY over time

Try out different workouts, for me personally I had a bad habit of overdoing it in the beginning

It also highly depends on how in shape you are now
  • Lift
  • Kickboxing/Muay Thai
  • Brazilian JiuJitsu
  • Run/jog/walk
  • Yoga

Frank H.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 22, 2018
Thank you for the helpful replies! I intend to attend a To-Shin-Do school, add the rowing machine, go swimming and have a clean diet.

How important is weight lifting for your health compared to the aforementioned regimen? I used to do the starting strength regimen, however I felt that the pain and soreness was not worth the time and effort.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
There is a lot of good advice in this thread. Main thing is to avoid overthinking it.

2 Rules I always tell clients:
  1. If you want to lose weight, you should work out 5 days per week
  2. If you want to look "tone" & strong, then you need to lift weights 3 times per week.
Cardio is better than nothing, but strength training is better bang for your buck. You want to make sure that you are incorporating large compound lifts.

The pillar movements of your program should be:
  • Squat / Leg Press
  • Deadlift / Hip Hinge
  • Lunge / Split Squat
  • Bench Press / Push Ups
  • Lat Pull / Pull Ups
  • Horizontal Rows
  • Shoulder Press
Starting out, your goal should be to do all of these movements at least twice per week. Ideally, you would give your body 48-72 hours of rest prior to working out the same muscle groups again.

**B.S. Exercise Physiology & 8-years of personal training experience. Follow me on Instagram (@kylethumm) for some great tips & recommendations. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Thank you for the helpful replies! I intend to attend a To-Shin-Do school, add the rowing machine, go swimming and have a clean diet.

How important is weight lifting for your health compared to the aforementioned regimen? I used to do the starting strength regimen, however I felt that the pain and soreness was not worth the time and effort.

1. Clean Diet
  2. Daily Movement
  3. Strength Training
My guess is that you lifted too much too quickly. Your body should be sore, but it shouldn't be so painful that you don't recover within a few days.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The most important thing whatever path you choose, Is making it a part of your lifestyle. If you are still eating right and exercising regularly in one year from now, 3 years etc.. you will see improvements in your health no matter what you do.

Start with something if you feel that you don't enjoy it, or getting the results you want switch to something else.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

WHAT IS YOUR GOAL?!!?!?!?!?

If you want to get strong, there's no better way than Starting Strength (maybe 5x5, but generally speaking, SS is pretty solid). But if you don't want to get strong, then SS is a waste of your time.

You get better at what you train.

I don't know why this concept is so difficult for people to grasp. If you want to be strong, you need to train things that make you strong. If you want to lose weight, you need to train the things that are optimal for weight loss (which, surprise surprise, is not long duration/low intensity workouts).

If you want to just move your body, then it doesn't matter.

Just like your entrepreneurial journey, you will get absolutely nowhere noteworthy in your fitness without a goal.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
2 Rules I always tell clients:
  1. If you want to lose weight, you should work out 5 days per week
  2. If you want to look "tone" & strong, then you need to lift weights 3 times per week.
Cardio is better than nothing, but strength training is better bang for your buck. You want to make sure that you are incorporating large compound lifts.

The pillar movements of your program should be:
  • Squat / Leg Press
  • Deadlift / Hip Hinge
  • Lunge / Split Squat
  • Bench Press / Push Ups
  • Lat Pull / Pull Ups
  • Horizontal Rows
  • Shoulder Press
Starting out, your goal should be to do all of these movements at least twice per week. Ideally, you would give your body 48-72 hours of rest prior to working out the same muscle groups again.

No hate intended here, but do you give your clients advice like this without understanding their goal and desires?

Without knowing and understanding the person and their goals, this advice will just result in a ton of wasted time, imo.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.