The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please critique my strategy for getting leads

Marketing, social media, advertising

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
The conventional wisdom is to get prospects to know, like, and trust you, then they might choose to hire you and become a client, so know>like>trust>close.

I agree with this.

Another conventional way of thinking is that the aim of outreach is to get a response/call/meeting, then the aim of the call/meeting, etc. is to sell the service.

I agree with this too.

When I get an email from an unknown contact that's a full pitch, i.e. they're trying to sell me before any initial conversation (knowing and liking) I immediately label it as spam. And I think most of us react like that to most of those styles of emails, messages, calls etc.

So here is the idea for how we can get unlimited leads and the problem that stands in the way:

Step 1: To get a response/call/meeting with an ideal client where we can get to know each other and hopefully like each other
My ideas: An almost guaranteed way to get a response from a client/business etc is to show interest in the #1 thing they're interested in, i.e. their products/services. E.g. Are they selling water bottles? Ask about their water bottle. Are they dentists? Ask about their services. If I give this more thought, I can think up more and better ideas, but the point is, it's relatively easy to think up ways to get this initial response. Plus it's relatively easy to find ways to contact your ideal clients, so that's not the problem.

Step 2: THE PROBLEM - The trouble is in the transition
The question is, how do we transition from getting that response to having a conversation about how we can add value to their business?
An abrupt transition will certainly be perceived as if we duped them and might kill all hopes of trust. So please put on your creative thinking hats with me and let's figure out ways to transition from steps 1 to 3. This might require a better question at step 1 that is still likely to get a response but is less product-centric, so that they don't think we want to buy their product only to try to sell them something. But after step 1 is solved, how do we transition?

Step 3: To get them to trust our competence so that they can decide if they want to hire us (close)
My ideas: Nothing revolutionary here...this would be show how you add value to their business and help get the results they want...all backed up by your usual credibility markers (portfolio of past results, name dropping, etc.)

Please don't waste your time saying this is duping people etc...there are certainly ways this can turn into a duping process, but that's why I'm inviting us to put on our creative thinking hats...it's a plan in progress...so let's see if we can figure out a way to create a conversation flow from steps 1 to 3 that will work without making people feel like they were duped.

-Jon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I have idea about Step 1.
Basically as a marketer one might not know
how to talk to dentist, doctor or other pros.

So how about making a course-like content
that will quickly introduce marketers to basics
of life of said professionals.

"Learn to Think like a dentist in a Weekend!"

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
I have idea about Step 1.
Basically as a marketer one might not know
how to talk to dentist, doctor or other pros.

So how about making a course-like content
that will quickly introduce marketers to basics
of life of said professionals.

"Learn to Think like a dentist in a Weekend!"
That's an excellent script Kid!

I like it for its own merits. That said, it's structured a bit more like a traditional cold email vs the potential process I'm trying to figure out here.

So to illustrate what I'm trying to figure out here, using a rudimentary example, a conversation sequence will go like below. Let's assume my ideal client is a seller on Amazon. I go and find their email then:

STEP 1
Initial message:

Subject: Question about your stainless steel bottle

Email Body: Hi there. How long do your stainless steel bottles keep cold?*

Let me know.

Thanks.

They will likely respond, because it's a product inquiry.

*Step 1 needs work because this gives the impression I'm ready to buy the bottle, which will make them feel duped when I transition to asking about their needs and offering my services. But for now, it illustrates that I'll likely get a response.

STEP 2 is the core problem
How do we transition from any conversation to asking about their needs?

In a world where I had unlimited time, money, and energy, this would work:
1) Ask about their services
2) Use the service
3) Ask about their needs
4) Offer your services

With step 2, we used their services, justifying asking about it in step 1. While using their service etc, it's a great chance to build rapport, some degree of relationship (know, like, etc.) then we can ask about needs and offer services.

So yea, not practical, but idealistic...hopefully that might help get our creative juices flowing to figure out a workable sequence.

-Jon.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Still brainstorming possibilities. Aim here is quantity, not quality. Selection will come after. Here's one:

1-Build an affiliate site around a niche for which I already have clients (don't care to actually gain commissions, I just need one of those 'top 10 <enter product type here>'
2-Draw paid traffic to the site
3-Contact a prospect within the niche and ask about their product. Encourage a little back and forth over 1-3 days

<they respond because it's a product inquiry>

4-Pitch: 'The reason I'm asking is because I'm building an affiliate site targeting the X niche, and I think your product makes a good fit. Yours is pretty similar to the others but I like that yours has X feature (only if I authentically like X) so I think it deserves a spot. I was wondering if I can add it to my list?' If you agree, I get content to post to my site and you may get a few more sales...we're slowly gaining traction.

<they agree due to free advertising>

5-Carry on conversation and build trust while I add their product to the site
6-Hey *name.* I feel like there is some room for improvement so I made some quick changes for my site (demonstrate copy skills.) Are you okay if I post it with this (my copy) instead?

<they agree because it's better>

7-Thanks! I'll let you know when I post it
8-Hey *name*. I posted it this morning. Here's the link *insert link*. Feel free to share it on your social media pages if you want. That would really help me out actually. I manage ads for sellers, which is why I'm trying to build the website. I'm hoping to get more traffic to their products to increase sales. So yea, sharing it would be appreciated.

<hopefully they ask for more info, and how I can help them>

9-If they ask: I should be able to help. Product #4 (on the top 10 list) is actually a client of mine. I've been running ads for them for the last X time, and we're seeing consistent growth.

9-If they don't ask: Hi *name,* thanks so much again for this. If I can give some feedback, I think your copy can be improved...in my experience, it really makes a difference in terms of ranking in the search results and sales. When I have some time I'd be happy to send you some pointers if you'd like. (remember, we're pointing out that their own needs work in step 6.) Product #4 (on the top 10 list) is actually a client of mine. I've been running ads for them for the last X time, and we started seeing consistent growth after I redid their copy. So yea, let me know if you'd like some pointers. -Jon. (needs to be abbreviated, but that's the idea)

<they get curious since it's a product similar to theirs; same niche, already successful product means automatic credibility; if they're not interested, rinse and repeat>

10-Offer free value: Copy feedback. Quick ad optimizations, suggestions etc.

<they see my competence, and get to trust me...by now they already know and like me...hopefully, lol; hopefully they ask about how much I'll charge for my services>

11-If they ask: Offer pricing etc.

11-If they don't ask: Maybe leave it as it is...maybe offering paid services might invalidate the process.

Some problems and questions to self:
Building an affiliate site is time consuming and expensive
-Is there something other than a site that will work that faster to set up?
-Is there a cheaper way to draw traffic?

The entire process is long and drawn out:
-Might be worth it if targeting the right prospects
-Can I abbreviate the process?
-Why might it work? Can I retain those elements with a shorter process?

Edit:
@Andy Black
@Fox

Tagging because I know you all are both skilled in sales and no one is responding to my thread...so much for my sales skills, ha.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Two additional possibilities:

1. When talking about their site (steps 9&10)
maybe tell them that you can
"make professional, free evaluation of their site"
It's same meaning as telling that you can give free pointers
but sounds more valuable - like they receive some
physical product and not just a chat .

The thing is that people might not (and possibly wouldn't*)
want to do changes by themselves
and you would position yourself as an expert
hece they would trust you to pay to do those changes.

2. Affiliate site doesn't have to receive paid traffic (nor be affiliate site at all).
You make website with top 5-10 products in a niche,
content articles and good design.
It exists solely to prove that you can do good websites/design/copy.

To get real data on improved presence one could
offer to one of top 10 that he'll improve his website/run few ads
in return for a testimonial.
Then second person will get testimonial
and he will be used as feed
of real data used in approaching third
client.

This approach allows to offer to niches
that you have no establish affiliation with or
where people even don't know what affiliate
program is.

* This comes actually from ViperChill. Guy was(is?) making
blog about internet opportunities, writing lengthy blog
posts about how to turn those opportunities into
businesses, yet people still were asking him if he
can do it for them for a fee.

Ok, that's all for now.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
@Kid

"same meaning as telling that you can give free pointers
but sounds more valuable - like they receive some
physical product and not just a chat"

Good point. I'll definitely incorporate this.

"Affiliate site doesn't have to receive paid traffic (nor be affiliate site at all).
You make website with top 5-10 products in a niche,
content articles and good design."

This is a great idea. My concern though is the content side of things...creating all that content might be really time consuming. This website is my current model: Best Reviews Guide - We Do the Research for You

It's just top 10 lists for every category/sub category from Amazon, and for each list, there's a brief article that follows a simple format like:
-The importance of a good product X
-How to choose a good product X
-The top 10 product X

Any suggestion on how I can achieve the above with minimal content?

"Then second person will get testimonial
and he will be used as feed
of real data used in approaching third
client."

I'll definitely incorporate this somewhere in the process as well.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
Okay, so I've been thinking of what problems I can anticipate and coming up with possible fixes:
I should disclose that my ideal leads are Amazon sellers who are running ads or need their listings optimized. Ad clients are my real focus.

Problem 1: I want to start prospecting as soon as I have about 5-10 lists on the affiliate type site. They might wonder why the website it sosmall.
My reponse: I just launched and I'm building it out in proportion to my clientele for now. Once the data shows it's working sufficiently I'll scale it. If the site is gaining traction, I can tell them that for reassurance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.