• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

O/T: HEALTH Please critique my exercise regimen

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frank H., Jan 3, 2019.

1. Kyle T

Kyle T Aspiring Super Hero Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,116
    There is a lot of good advice in this thread. Main thing is to avoid overthinking it.

2 Rules I always tell clients:
    1. If you want to lose weight, you should work out 5 days per week
    2. If you want to look "tone" & strong, then you need to lift weights 3 times per week.
    Cardio is better than nothing, but strength training is better bang for your buck. You want to make sure that you are incorporating large compound lifts.

The pillar movements of your program should be:
    • Squat / Leg Press
    • Deadlift / Hip Hinge
    • Lunge / Split Squat
    • Bench Press / Push Ups
    • Lat Pull / Pull Ups
    • Horizontal Rows
    • Shoulder Press
    Starting out, your goal should be to do all of these movements at least twice per week. Ideally, you would give your body 48-72 hours of rest prior to working out the same muscle groups again.

**B.S. Exercise Physiology & 8-years of personal training experience. Follow me on Instagram (@kylethumm) for some great tips & recommendations. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Frank H. and Kruiser like this.
  2. Kyle T

Kyle T Aspiring Super Hero Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,116
    1. Clean Diet
    2. Daily Movement
    3. Strength Training
    My guess is that you lifted too much too quickly. Your body should be sore, but it shouldn't be so painful that you don't recover within a few days.

Frank H. likes this.
  3. TheCj

TheCj Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $157
    The most important thing whatever path you choose, Is making it a part of your lifestyle. If you are still eating right and exercising regularly in one year from now, 3 years etc.. you will see improvements in your health no matter what you do.

Start with something if you feel that you don't enjoy it, or getting the results you want switch to something else.

RazorCut likes this.
  4. csalvato

csalvato Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $23,583
    WHAT IS YOUR GOAL?!!?!?!?!?

If you want to get strong, there's no better way than Starting Strength (maybe 5x5, but generally speaking, SS is pretty solid). But if you don't want to get strong, then SS is a waste of your time.

You get better at what you train.

I don't know why this concept is so difficult for people to grasp. If you want to be strong, you need to train things that make you strong. If you want to lose weight, you need to train the things that are optimal for weight loss (which, surprise surprise, is not long duration/low intensity workouts).

If you want to just move your body, then it doesn't matter.

Just like your entrepreneurial journey, you will get absolutely nowhere noteworthy in your fitness without a goal.

Timmy1990 and Frank H. like this.
  5. csalvato

csalvato Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $23,583
    No hate intended here, but do you give your clients advice like this without understanding their goal and desires?

Without knowing and understanding the person and their goals, this advice will just result in a ton of wasted time, imo.

Timmy1990 and Frank H. like this.
  6. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,107
    Much like a map, if I don't know where you are I can't tell you the best way there.

csalvato likes this.
  7. whiz

whiz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,086
    Yeah, upon revisiting this thread - you need some goals

Go look up photos of people at your height at different bodyfat % and pick one and shoot for that

Also define what "staying healthy" is to you

Also I'm totally gonna talk sh*t on "to shin do" or ninjitsu - save your time and $

Based upon your interest in cardio, sign up for Muay Thai

Then do Jiu Jitsu if you wanna supplement it with grappling

Frank H. likes this.
  8. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $175,767
    You are only sore the first week. It's definitely worth the time and effort. You will need to move some weights at some point. The rowing machine is fine, but you will find that you can row with much more power once you get some muscle on you.

PureA, Timmy1990 and Frank H. like this.
  9. whiz

whiz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,086
    And p.s. how long did you do starting strength?

If you were having "pain" or intense soreness, you either had bad form, did not eat/hydrate properly, did not take enough time between workout days, or did not sleep enough

Or you have some disease or something (hopefully not)

Or you're sensitive/not hardened yet - a lot of new lifters are sore for a week or two - this is normal

You should not be f'd up to the point that it's debilitating. Just a little soreness at most.

lowtek likes this.
  10. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,116
    It is general guidelines to help people because 90% of individuals are working out to burn some fat and build a little muscle. It's the advice that I give to people as bare minimums to ensure success towards those two goals.

I made an assumption based on my experience... As you noted, I can't give specific recommendations without consulting him but those general recommendations are pretty safe.
    -

A little background to break those two down a bit more...

Recommendation #1:

Anyone with a weight loss goal should strive to lose 1 pound per week. To burn that 1-pound of fat, a person needs to burn 3,500 calories.

If you do a moderate to an intense workout, then you can hope to burn 700 calories in a single workout.

5 workouts/week * 700 calories/workout = 3500 calories/week = -1 Pound per week

This recommendation of 5 workouts per week is designed to get you burning 1 pound of fat without making any changes to your diet. Make changes to your diet and the same numbers apply, and the results will compound.

-500 calories/day * 7 days/week= -3500 calories/week = - 1 pound per week
    -1000 calories/day * 7/days/week = -7000 calories/week = - 2 pounds per week

Recommendation #2: This rule regarding lifting weights is based on the optimal window for muscle growth.

Over the course of 48-72 hours after a workout, our muscles go through what is called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

Following doms, there is a brief window of 1-2 days where our muscles are primed for our next workout. Any longer and our body will start to regress and muscles will start to atrophy.

11. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $25,653
    If you're feeling pain and soreness after the first couple weeks, something is wrong with your form. Hire someone to watch you and figure out what you're doing wrong.

As far as health benefits, how does an inverse correlation between muscle mass and mortality sound?

Older adults: Build muscle and you'll live longer

Besides that, strong people are harder to kill, and more useful in general.

Sebah and Kruiser like this.
  12. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,612
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    whiz likes this.
  13. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,163
    Pain and soreness not Werth time and effort?! Don't be a pussy!!!!!! Best decision I ever made was to push through that pain and keep going, your mates straight like there old and on there last breath, here you come along strong as a motherfucker And get sh*t done.

It's not worth the time and effort now because your a bitch ATM OP. give yourself a message to push past the pain and persevere, you won't only love it, but you'll wonder why you where such a girl in the first place. Plus your life will be on easier mode.... Ever picked up a week's worth of shopping for a family of 8 in one hit and carry it in like a boss? I have makes you feel like a rockstar.

If you keep going the pain won't be as bad.

Edited as was drunk when typed this.... much alcohol

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Jello likes this.
  14. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 I Will Not Stop! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,163
    Wow drunk tim can be a real dickhead.

15. MetalGear

MetalGear Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,923
    Take action for a week and report back to us with what you felt, what you liked, and what your challenges us.

That is the best way, get some momentum going.

Remember to ramp up - there is a good pain and bad pain, one indicates tissue breakdown and repair, the other is just outright injury.

Frank H. likes this.
  16. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,214
    Don't be on a calorie deficit, that only works in the short term.
    Practice intermittent fasting instead.

17. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,993
    If your diet is in check, keep that priority number one. Choose a physical activity you enjoy and is not overly burdensome on your schedule. The fewer mental and physical barriers the more success you will have.

Also, you are smart enough to figure out what is right for you. Take control, you don't need to defer every life decision to Google. Read a book or two, and do it.

18. Jon Anthony

Jon Anthony Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $781
    As someone who sells a fitness eBook and has done multiple photoshoots, here are my thoughts:
    • If your goal is weight loss, then diet is going to be 80% responsible for that.
    • Start lifting weights in addition to doing cardio.
    That's it. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS). Never complicate more than necessary.

I recommend you do a ketosis based diet. Lots of protein and fats, very low carbs.

19. Marc RV

Marc RV New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Everybody is different. I think it's useful to experiment, not only with exercise but also with your diet, which I believe is key.
    I did long distance running, cycling, MA, weights etc. all will improve your fitness if done regularly. For me, the most effective in terms of time vs effect was interval training. You can check "Burpee Cardio Challenge for Fat Burning" on youtube to see what I mean. This kind of exercise doesn't take much time and gives you full workout.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  20. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Done Dicking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,006
    Do some weight/strength training. The more lean mass you have, the more efficient you are at burning fat.

21. justacar

justacar Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $352
    the only thing i would change: exercise every day. the key is consistency. i found that i failed doing any x days / week program completely as some work related thing would throw me off schedule. now i do something every day, first thing in the morning. i think overall it's not what you do, but the consistency & how you do it. you could have a great exercise program, but if you only do it half assed for an hour, it's not going to do a thing

22. handog

handog Believing Is Seeing Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $37
    There's a series of podcasts that I bought a few years ago if you just search for "adonis index immersion"

The program excels at getting your mindset right with regard to food and working out. I've been working out now 4x a week and maybe have missed 10 days in a year but it has done wonders for me and teaches how most everything in the diet / fitness industry is snake oil.

Frank H. likes this.
  23. Byakko

Byakko Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $702
    Well... A lot has been said already and I agree with most of it. I specially agree with the part of a clean diet and strength training.

Together with eating clean, you could try doing intermittent fasting. Might help you with weight loss and with other aspects of your health.

Regarding strength training, I would consider doing it following a methodology called grease the groove. It's a really nice way to get stronger with a really really low risk of injury. You can google it or read the book "The naked warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline.

Now, just to had something that I feel was barely touched here. Which is mobility. In my opinion if you want to have an healthy body, free of injury and free of pain, you really need to pay attention to your mobility. When you neglect it, what will happen most of the time, is some kind of chronic pain depending on what kind of activity you are doing (or from doing nothing at all). Example: If you run a lot much and are not doing your mobility work, you will have hamstring issues. If you're doing weight lifting you might get shoulder issues. So if I were you I'd be carefull enough to had these to my routines. gymnasticbodies.com have great resources on this.

24. OlivierMo

OlivierMo Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $727
    Do whatever makes you feel good. Your body and mind should tell you. (There's even a point where exercise can make you depressed.) I hate lifting weights b/c i find it utterly boring. I personally think looking like a gorilla isn't appealing. I'd rather be svelte, agile with some core strength to keep a nice posture. If you like running, run. If you like lifting, lift. Don't listen to what people say aside from diet advise.

Frank H. likes this.
  25. Frank H.

Frank H. New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $87
    Thanks for the response. Do you have any advice on another exercise I can add? I was thinking the rowing machine and something else. I am looking forward to your reply.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.