The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pitching to Investors is a Sales Process.

Ask me anything!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
When entrepreneurs try to raise money at any level, it involves a “pitch”. Pitching to investors can be defined within the context of a sales process where you and your idea is the product and the investor is the customer. There are some rules, but first,don’t pitch until you are ready. [REMOVED]

Before the pitch, entrepreneurs have to understand the investor’s mindset, what they are looking for. Investors want a place to put money that has the potential for maximum return with as minimum of risk as possible. They don’t normally want to “take a flyer” on an unproven concept. Therefore, you have to prepared with as strong a “proof of concept” as you can. There are three flavors of proof of concept: technical (does it work; does it give the customer the value proposition it promises); economic (is the price customers will pay be more than a summation of the costs involved in producing and selling and distributing it).

The third is “social” proof of concept where you have proven that there are lots of people with a) a real problem (the one you think they have), b) an urgent need to solve it, and c) a motivation to buy your product as a compelling solution. Only after you have the full proof of concept should you pitch to a group of professional investors. Friends and family need less proof, but they still will have the same fundamental concerns: can it make money?

Comments?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What proof of concept do you have for your book or system?

You've pitched this forum at least twice now, and don't seem to follow your own advice.

The entrepreneurs here are investors, and they aren't going to buy your book unless you do the following:

1. Learn to understand the forum members' mindset.
2. Offer real value instead of poorly hinting at it so you can link to your book.
3. Offer proof of how your book benefits us.

Based on your writing I wouldn't chance it, because your post isn't clear and I don't see any real value. If your posts don't offer real value, then why would we assume your book does?

- Show us results.
- Prove your experience.
- Give us reasons to buy.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
You know when you go to a car dealership and the one salesman is begging you to buy a car? Get to know us first, let us get to know you. Put your book in your signature and if your advice is cogent, people will click the link.

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
First: thanks for the feedback. I AM doing customer investigation, trying to figure out this forum by putting thoughts out there and reviewing feedback to see what they want to hear. I'm sorry if it comes off like "selling". I've started six companies, four of which worked out quite well, and two that didn't. I built two software companies (in niche industries) and two real estate-related firms. After selling the software companies, I tried to mentor and coach but I didn't have a clear vision of why I succeeded and why I failed. So, I started three years of research, eventually developing the ACE Methodology (Assessment, Confirmation, Execution) and writing a book around it.

My history of knowing entrepreneurs and being one led me to a lot of conclusions, two of which are critical: self-assessment (some people just aren't cut out for starting a business) and customer-assessment (what is it that they will pay for).

It leads to my Three Critical Questions:
1. Do a lot of people REALLY have the problem you think they do?
2. Do they have an urgent need to solve the problem?
3. Does your product offer a compelling solution?

As to proof that it works, I will say that when I give lectures, there are a lot of "aha" moments. Founders are often so consumed by their work that they don't see it from the outside, with any perspective. When I ask them to prove the three critical questions, they start to get that perspective and start to develop their product around what the customer tells them they will buy. This is the essential value of the book, I think - clarity. I've seen a few founders change their thinking and get better results; that's what I hope to accomplish for others.

As far as a reason to buy, I'm not saying anything new (Blank and Ries were inspirations), but I try to put the message in a different, less academic and more practical package. And, I have a lot of stories about how I used the methodology before I knew it was a methodology. It's more for the average guy with an idea and no clue what to do next. But, it's also for working companies who are struggling and need a new perspective on the reasons for it.

If this audience isn't interested in that, please tell me. I'd love to share a copy with you, free, of course, to get your feedback.

PS: As an occasional angel investor, I'm talking to inexperienced investors about what they need to look for in a pitch, which are the same things I advise founders to put into their pitch. The "catch" is as mysterious as the "pitch" to a lot of people.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
If this audience isn't interested in that, please tell me. I'd love to share a copy with you, free, of course, to get your feedback.

It's not a lack of interest in your experience and knowledge, it's more of an interest in getting that from forum members here, on the forum. If you're not an INSIDERS I recommend becoming one to see what sort of valuable information is shared here freely. Add to the conversations germanely and people will likely become interested in your knowledge and book.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
trying to figure out this forum

The thing is, the forum has figured you out.

You're here to promote your book and that turns people off.

Every post is a link to your book. I removed the link and will continue removing them.

From the forum's perspective, it appears you didn't come here with a genuine intention to contribute, but to sell. It lacks authenticity.

If you want to continue to promote your book and use this forum as your marketing tool I suggest this:

1) Contribute and provide value without posting links to your book.
Post enough until you get 100 posts and then post a signature with your link.

OR

2) Buy an INSIDERS Sub and immediately post a signature with a link to your book and other offerings you have.

OR

3) Sponsor the forum.

This is an entrepreneur forum. Not a marketing tool.

I hope you choose to stick around as it seems like you have a lot to offer and have a vast array of experience.

In fact, provide immense value, become known, respected, and people will buy your book.

However the teaser posts and link-dropping in every post fools no one here.

This is a community, not a drive-by-marketing strategy.

Hope ya stick around.

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
I think I understand this forum better now. I was about to buy the Kindle version but read the preview first. Thanks for your critical feedback, which seems a little hypocritical since you demand that someone buys your book, sponsors the forum and buys ad space to get access to the very nebulous benefits you talk about. And I'm being pushy? I said I was trying to figure out your audience so I see if I can be of service and you kick me for trying. "Give me money and I'll stop kicking" is not a a valid value proposition in my book.

Your aggressive attitude has worked for you, but very few people of substance get ahead that way, at least for very long. I'm happy for you, but I like to advise the rest of the people (the 99%) about how to do it in a more mature and solid manner. Slower, but it works a whole lot more often for a lot more people. However, I expect that you don't really care as long as I buy your book and sponsor the forum and buy advertising (which is VERY distracting, by the way).

I suspect you have constructed your audience to not much care about the conventional road maps for building successful businesses - the promise of get-rich-easy methods sound like more fun. Maybe I'm wrong. If you think they might want my approach to building success, let me know.

G

GuestUser113

Looking forward to the responses to this. ^

*Grabs popcorn and kicks back*

:)

By the way, the 99% aren't on this forum.

You got the popcorn. I have the camcorder.

9ce.gif

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
You completely missed the point to what MJ was trying to say... I mean completely.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I think I understand this forum better now. I was about to buy the Kindle version but read the preview first. Thanks for your critical feedback, which seems a little hypocritical since you demand that someone buys your book, sponsors the forum and buys ad space to get access to the very nebulous benefits you talk about. And I'm being pushy? I said I was trying to figure out your audience so I see if I can be of service and you kick me for trying. "Give me money and I'll stop kicking" is not a a valid value proposition in my book.

Your aggressive attitude has worked for you, but very few people of substance get ahead that way, at least for very long. I'm happy for you, but I like to advise the rest of the people (the 99%) about how to do it in a more mature and solid manner. Slower, but it works a whole lot more often for a lot more people. However, I expect that you don't really care as long as I buy your book and sponsor the forum and buy advertising (which is VERY distracting, by the way).

I suspect you have constructed your audience to not much care about the conventional road maps for building successful businesses - the promise of get-rich-easy methods sound like more fun. Maybe I'm wrong. If you think they might want my approach to building success, let me know.
I can only imagine your thought process here. Something like this...

"Oooo... what is this fastlaneforum?

It looks like a place of a bunch of entrepreneurs and wanna-be's that may be interested in my book.

What a great place to sneak in, drop a few links.

What's this? Forum rules? Nah, I'll do what I want. Screw the rules. If I'm clever and crafty enough I can just slip a few links here and there.

Hmmm...

Not getting the warm reception I hoped for.

Well, here's this MJ DeMarco guy trying to set me on the correct path on how to properly use this forum. Who does this guy think he is? What a hypocrite. How dare he make money off a website he's spent 7 years of his life building from scratch. What a douche.

Maybe if I insult him in his own house, act like I know what his book is about without reading and imply my book is better... he'd change his mind about me pimping my book here for free."

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
I can only imagine your thought process here. Something like this...

"Oooo... what is this fastlaneforum?

It looks like a place of a bunch of entrepreneurs and wanna-be's that may be interested in my book.

What a great place to sneak in, drop a few links.

What's this? Forum rules? Nah, I'll do what I want. Screw the rules. If I'm clever and crafty enough I can just slip a few links here and there.

Hmmm...

Not getting the warm reception I hoped for.

Well, here's this MJ DeMarco guy trying to set me on the correct path on how to properly use this forum. Who does this guy think he is? What a hypocrite. How dare he make money off a website he's spent 7 years of his life building from scratch. What a douche.

Maybe if I insult him in his own house, act like I know what his book is about without reading and imply my book is better... he'd change his mind about me pimping my book here for free."
Couldn't have said it any better myself hahahaha!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

My guess is this isn't the first major error you've made in snap judgments. We expect this from the young kids that stumble in here. It's surprising to see this type of knee jerk reaction from someone of your ... um ... stature.

So you're pissed because our forum members don't want spam links? That they actually want you to demonstrate value to them before you try and sell them your wares?

You walked into one of the top traffic forums for entrepreneurs on the world wide web, hoping to increase your Amazon reviews from 2 to 3.

The fact that you think this place is about "get rich quick" methods indicates you have done zero research on the forum, it's owner, it's best selling author, the book namesake to the forum and it's premise.

Nebulous benefits? Your book has two reviews on Amazon. Teach us about nebulous benefits.

I have an equal amount of reviews on my own worst selling book, but I got the lack of reviews the old fashioned way... the book sucked. That's why it only has two reviews.

We're not a strategy for you to hawk your book, but nobody is likely to follow you to the exit. There's a few other forums out there that may have more interest in what you are selling.

See ya.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014

Woah...

I don't know what to say... You completely misunderstood what @MJ DeMarco said. And even if he "demands" someone to buy his book, which is completely preposterous in the sense that he tell's people to torrent his book if they have to, it's his forum and he can do what he wants.

I'm surprised you're still here..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
G

GuestUser113

My guess is this isn't the first major error you've made in snap judgments. We expect this from the young kids that stumble in here. It's surprising to see this type of knee jerk reaction from someone of your ... um ... stature.

So you're pissed because our forum members don't want spam links? That they actually want you to demonstrate value to them before you try and sell them your wares?

You walked into one of the top traffic forums for entrepreneurs on the world wide web, hoping to increase your Amazon reviews from 2 to 3.

The fact that you think this place is about "get rich quick" methods indicates you have done zero research on the forum, it's owner, it's best selling author, the book namesake to the forum and it's premise.

Nebulous benefits? Your book has two reviews on Amazon. Teach us about nebulous benefits.

I have an equal amount of reviews on my own worst selling book, but I got the lack of reviews the old fashioned way... the book sucked. That's why it only has two reviews.

We're not a strategy for you to hawk your book, but nobody is likely to follow you to the exit. There's a few other forums out there that may have more interest in what you are selling.

See ya.

Bingo. Maybe he can get Tai Lopez to promote his book?

Tim Freriks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 5, 2015
Tampa FL
I have accomplished the goal I set out to accomplish, and that was ONLY to see if this is an appropriate audience for my book (which only launched a month ago and hasn't been marketed, yet). Apparently, it isn't. I didn't mean to insult, but I don't like to be insulted when the insulter doesn't know me, either. Friendly guidance/feedback might have worked better than attack mode, but that doesn't seem to have a place. here

The links I included were for people to see what my message was, not to buy the book - I don't think I ever put a link to the purchase page. Sorry, y'all are so sensitive.

Good luck.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thread closed. Good luck to you as well. I really do think you should hang around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads