The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Picking a good domain name/business name?

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Hey guys!!! :wave:

Ok, I need to pick your brains if you wouldn't mind.

I've been STUCK on finding a business name/domain name for my online business.

I am going to sell bulk headlight restoration kits (put together by myself), and I'm stuck of finding a name for it (lol, I'm so redundant I repeat myself).

Here are the name I have thought up:

BrightLights
DivineShine (Nah, it sounds too religion-y)
Fix-A-Fade (Kinda sounds Billy Mays-y, and I want it to sound professional)
Save-A-Light (yuck, nvm)

AutoCure (I LOVE this one but it was already taken :icon_bs:)

So, before I go off and get my legal business name, website and labels for my product, can you guys find a better name than "fix-a-fade"?!?!?!

I guess I'm kind of anal about my name, but then again I'm not really cutting corners and I want my quality product to sound as good as it works.

I've tried to incorporate words like "crystal, glass, shine, haze" ect., but I just can't get a catchy 2-3 syllable name out of it.

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

ALSO: would it be better to just call myself something like "--- distributing"?

I find it hard because I'm trying to sell $150-200 kits to entrepreneurs and car detail shops online. Therefore, the name should appeal to them.

I'm also going to probably go around to car dealerships and detail shops to do demos. I can't wait to have a business card with MY website on it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
I'm trying to steer clear of using K's instead of C's.
I really want my site to be incredibly professional.
Thank you for the input nonetheless : )

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Your business name should be XXXX distributing, but your public or retail store name should be the catchy name.

Is brightlights available? That would be my choice.

Your say you don't want a K for a C, but you will take hyphens? Seems backwards to me. I would find a word like an animal, color or object and add lighting or lights to it.

PhoenixLights
Cobralights
Doggylights
Diamondlighting

etc...

You know what I mean.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Your say you don't want a K for a C, but you will take hyphens? Seems backwards to me. I would find a word like an animal, color or object and add lighting or lights to it.

Yes I agree. That's why I thought it sounded like a billy mays name (if that makes sense lol).

Your business name should be XXXX distributing, but your public or retail store name should be the catchy name.

This sounds like a good idea. How would I go about that, though?

I'd REALLY like to make a LLC, but it seems too difficult.

Could I open an LLC in this situation?

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Ok, how about
beambling, It's Beam and bling together. Maybe to tough to say....huh
how about Igniteyourlight? headlightmend?

I like the "headlightmend"

instead of "mend", though, I want to put something like "restoration". maybe

THANK YOU! I really appreciate suggestions.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I like where some of these names are going. I wouldn't get too 'picky' about a name. I only say that because I'm a lot like you in that I have trouble picking a clever name. Sometimes if you say a name over and over again in your head it you may focus on the bad sounds.

Just say it 2 or 3 times and that's it. If it has a ring, go for it. Then move forward with your business. Glad to see you taking action though! That's always more important than getting caught up in the particulars.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
I like where some of these names are going. I wouldn't get too 'picky' about a name. I only say that because I'm a lot like you in that I have trouble picking a clever name. Sometimes if you say a name over and over again in your head it you may focus on the bad sounds.

Just say it 2 or 3 times and that's it. If it has a ring, go for it. Then move forward with your business. Glad to see you taking action though! That's always more important than getting caught up in the particulars.

Thanks. It's very true that one can over-think a name. As soon as I find one that isn't taken and has a "ring" to it, I'm diving in!

SecondLight was taken...

Hmm... I'm trying to brainstorm throughout the day.

Edit: SecondSet....hmm I kinda like it

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Ok, I'm off to school. But how about this?!?!?!

headlightrestorationplanet.com

It's still available!

Then maybe I could make my business name HRP inc. LLC???

Just lookin for some opinions

WinWin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 24, 2008
WDC
Use this tool to easily find a domain for related (sounding like) words:
WORDOID - Creative Naming Service

As suggested by biophase, you can have any name for your company (xyc llc, or xyz distributing LLC). Actually I recommend that you register your business using a neutral name. So that if needed you can expand to other business lines and your business name will still remain relevant. For example assume that you register your business using a name such as "Headlight Restoration LLC". Then later you found that the margins are much better if you distribute "swimming pool cleaning kits" instead of "light restoration kits". Now you realize that your business name is a mismatch to the line of business.

Now, instead if you register your business as "Spare Change LLC", then you can do any possible business without having a mis-match sounding business name.

Once you have your business legally registered, you can pick and register any catchy domain name for your online store.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Use this tool to easily find a domain for related (sounding like) words:
WORDOID - Creative Naming Service

As suggested by biophase, you can have any name for your company (xyc llc, or xyz distributing LLC). Actually I recommend that you register your business using a neutral name. So that if needed you can expand to other business lines and your business name will still remain relevant. For example assume that you register your business using a name such as "Headlight Restoration LLC". Then later you found that the margins are much better if you distribute "swimming pool cleaning kits" instead of "light restoration kits". Now you realize that your business name is a mismatch to the line of business.

Now, instead if you register your business as "Spare Change LLC", then you can do any possible business without having a mis-match sounding business name.

Once you have your business legally registered, you can pick and register any catchy domain name for your online store.

I like dis!

As I see it, LLC's and sole proprietorship are basically in the same "class".

M'kay, now I think that above statement is incorrect. The one right there ^

SO! Maybe I should make a name like "EntrepreneurialEnterprises" LLC, and then make businesses under that LLC, like "HeadlightRestorationPlanet" and more if I come across them?

But would the Headlight Restoration Planet be under the LLC (if I were to get hit by a lawsuit)? Or would the other business be a Sole Propritorship? Or maybe it would be a trademark?

My lack of business knowledge in this subject is embarrassing me :blush:. I thought I knew more than I do lol.

That probably didn't make any freakin sense. Sorry, I just had a monster energy drink because I had an exam. :hammertime:I've been waiting to use that smiley HAHAHA!!!

Many thanks guys and gals, as always.

WinWin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 24, 2008
WDC
I like dis!

But would the Headlight Restoration Planet be under the LLC (if I were to get hit by a lawsuit)? Or would the other business be a Sole Propritorship? Or maybe it would be a trademark?

Your legal business name and internet domain name are two different things. A legal business can have any number of domains registered under its name. When you register your domain as long as you register it using your business name you should be fine.

After securing your domain, you can also do a DBA (Doing Business As) registration with your state, to further validate the association between your legal business name and the domain name if needed. See this link: http://www.business.gov/register/business-name/dba.html. In Maryland State, it will cost you $25.00 to do a DBA registration.

This would be the sequence of steps:
1. Register your business (can be an LLC) with your state government - use whatever name you want for your business.
2. Get a TIN (Tax Identification Number) from the IRS.
3. Open a business bank account and business credit card.
4. Secure the domain(s) based on whatever catchy (fancy) name that is available.
5. Optionally do a DBA to associate your domain name with your business name.

Note: Business registration rules vary from state to state. I am not an accountant or an attorney. So if you are in doubt, consult your accountant or attorney.

PS: Don't get into Analysis Paralysis. Move forward and take the action. Good luck :smx19:

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Your legal business name and internet domain name are two different things. A legal business can have any number of domains registered under its name. When you register your domain as long as you register it using your business name you should be fine.

After securing your domain, you can also do a DBA (Doing Business As) registration with your state, to further validate the association between your legal business name and the domain name if needed. See this link: http://www.business.gov/register/business-name/dba.html. In Maryland State, it will cost you $25.00 to do a DBA registration.

This would be the sequence of steps:
1. Register your business (can be an LLC) with your state government - use whatever name you want for your business.
2. Get a TIN (Tax Identification Number) from the IRS.
3. Open a business bank account and business credit card.
4. Secure the domain(s) based on whatever catchy (fancy) name that is available.
5. Optionally do a DBA to associate your domain name with your business name.

Note: Business registration rules vary from state to state. I am not an accountant or an attorney. So if you are in doubt, consult your accountant or attorney.

PS: Don't get into Analysis Paralysis. Move forward and take the action. Good luck :smx19:

Thanks for the post!

That is going to help me alot. Hopefully I will have my beta website up within the week (hopefully within 48hrs.)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
sent you a PM

-Russ H.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
Hehe I'm glad I made this thread. I'm really liking these names.

If I'm being too picky, someone tell me!

"brandnewheadlights.com" looks weird where the "new" and "head" collide.

I kind of want people to get the idea of auto headlight restoration by looking at the URL.

hmm. I'll probably be up for a few more hours...I want to get my domain tonight! lol

ProfessorSpeed

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Sep 20, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You can secure them for around $10 bucks, so for the cost of a pizza go ahead and secure a couple you like. They tend to disappear quickly.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
the 2 url names I sent you are available.

Probably not for long, tho, since I just checked them. Good, short URLs get snatched up quickly once WHOIS searches are initiated.

The 2 names I sent you are simple, and memorable. And they allow you to build a business around them, franchising dealers using your website to promote their businesses, etc.

Good luck.

-Russ H.

sparechange?

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jan 11, 2010
the 2 url names I sent you are available.

Probably not for long, tho, since I just checked them. Good, short URLs get snatched up quickly once WHOIS searches are initiated.

The 2 names I sent you are simple, and memorable. And they allow you to build a business around them, franchising dealers using your website to promote their businesses, etc.

Good luck.

-Russ H.

I PM'd you back :)

I'm going to atleast sleep a night before I get a domain name. I do thoroughly appreciate your research, though.

Tomorrow I'm going to start putting together my kits (I already have the coarse materials)

Thanks again SOOO MUCH!!!

Your knowledge is invaluable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.