The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business name feedback requested

Idea threads

Beater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 1, 2023
Hello everyone, I am new here and am interested in creating a diet/food/health-related education/information-based company.

I am deciding between "dietevolved" and "dietevolve". I would appreciate any feedback or which name is better, or if both names are bad and I should go back to the drawing board.

I feel unsure about spending ~$5000 for a domain on a business that I have no idea if it would work, but on the other hand, I really like to have clean nice branding, these are just two cheap ideas I secured for now.

Thanks!

Apologies for two threads posted - I thought my first one was not pushed through.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on any domain until you've proved your concept.

We had a guy here some years ago who has adamant that he spend a fortune on a domain, before he sold his first product.

I insisted he abstain from the large purchase until later.

He didn't.

He spent a fortune on the domain.

Launched.

And promptly shut the business down a few years later as he couldn't sell enough to survive.

You see, if your product is AWESOME, it won't matter what your domain is.

If your product is 1 among a sea of 1000s of like products, your great (expensive) domain won't help.

Prove first.
Sell first.
Get traction first.

Then worry about pricey domains.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I feel unsure about spending ~$5000 for a domain
Use part of that money to buy INSIDERS. It is better than that domain name gamble.

Use the other or all of it to get the product or service to the market and see if anyone goes crazy and buys. See what people say.
I really like to have clean nice branding, these are just two cheap ideas I secured for now.
Your product or service defines and makes your brand. You have no brand without a product or service.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I highly recommend you don't spend more than the reg fee for a domain. Get a little more creative and find one that's available through tools like LeanDomainSearch, NameMesh etc.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Aside from it being a waste of 5k no matter what the name is, I hate the name

You could spend $300 on a naming competition website

Or pay an agency or freelancer on Upwork

Or just think of a better name

If you can create a really good brief and work out who your market is and what type of brand you want, then you should end up with a better name

There’s a good book called “Hi My Name is Awesome”, I’d suggest reading it

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I am deciding between "dietevolved" and "dietevolve"
Not great, both words are difficult to read. Plus when I read them, they don't sound great.

Don't spend 5k on a domain name, unless that domain is X.com and you sell it to Elon for 100x

Seriously though, don't spend 5k on a domain, you will regret it.

We had a guy here some years ago who has adamant that he spend a fortune on a domain, before he sold his first product.
I think I remember that guy.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Make a .com name up. It doesn't even have to mean anything. Hotjar? Crazyegg? Yahoo? Google?

Focus on making sales, not domain names.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Hello everyone, I am new here and am interested in creating a diet/food/health-related education/information-based company.

I am deciding between "dietevolved" and "dietevolve". I would appreciate any feedback or which name is better, or if both names are bad and I should go back to the drawing board.

I feel unsure about spending ~$5000 for a domain on a business that I have no idea if it would work, but on the other hand, I really like to have clean nice branding, these are just two cheap ideas I secured for now.

Thanks!

Apologies for two threads posted - I thought my first one was not pushed through.
I checked 11,000 potential domain names for you, found 39 .com names out of these 11,000 which are available to hand-register as of this writing, check your PM. One of them is especially good. You can find a domain name registrar and register one of these for about 10 USD per year.

But make sure to check first the trademarks (USPTO, Wipo) and domain history (archive.org, Ahrefs backlink checker, whois history etc.) before registering a new domain, do your due diligence.

Alternative: build a personal brand and use your own full name, for example if your name is John Doe, then register JohnDoe.com if it's still available. If not, try other extensions such as JohnDoe.net, JohnDoe.me, but .com is the king.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks!

Don't spend $5000 on something you have no idea will work.

Your domain isn't that important. If you want a global audience a .com would be better, if it's country specific a .com.au or .UK would be suitable as an example.

More time should be spent on sales, getting visitor's, marketing, lead generation etc.

Spending 5k seems like an expensive lesson that you could do without if this doesn't work.

Good luck.

Beater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 1, 2023
Thank you to everyone who responded, I read all of the suggestions and will get to work using them.

I appreciate it.

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Jan 14, 2023
Thank you to everyone who responded, I read all of the suggestions and will get to work using them.

I appreciate it.
May I ask what you eventually came up with?
I am at a stage in my journey where I need to come up with a company and brand name for my cassava and millet flour, and in the near future, peanut butter. I wouldn't mind borrowing a leaf from you.
Btw, the responses to the OP's question were great and have already given me some direction.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
I am at a stage in my journey where I need to come up with a company and brand name for my cassava and millet flour, and in the near future, peanut butter. I wouldn't mind borrowing a leaf from you.

Due to profiteering it’s hard to come up with any available combination of English words that’s not a mile long. In order to come up with an impactful domain name you may want to consider foreign words that have applicable connotations and roll off the tongue. As holding domain names hostage is common around the world, your best bet is probably to combine foreign+english words. You’ll find a lot of these available. Prompt chatgpt to “provide a list of 50 one and two syllable english words related to X“, and then “provide a list of 50 one and two syllable Scandinavian words related to diet and health”. Repeat for other geographical regions or languages. Come up with a combination that suits you and check for availability.

You can also consider making up a word or words. Haagen-Dasz is a ubiquitous ice cream brand name, and most people think it’s a high end, exotic foreign brand. The truth is it’s a 100% American brand and Haagen-Dasz is a made up name with no translation.

A couple of other things: Use chatgpt to make sure your name doesn’t have negative connotations in other regions or languages. Also be aware that the USPTO does use translations when determining if a trademark is descriptive, so a made up word can almost always be trademarked but a foreign word may not pass muster. Hope this helps

Beater

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 1, 2023
May I ask what you eventually came up with?
Btw, the responses to the OP's question were great and have already given me some direction.
Not all of this may apply to you since you may be more stable/long-term in your ideas but I'll write a few thoughts that I learned & experienced since writing this post.

First: I just came up with a slightly less generic version of my original idea (added a suffix) and also took a few suggestions from a helpful user who DM'd me some high-quality names that were available.

I'm glad that I did not spend a good amount on a domain name. When I made this post, I was highly focused on mental stuff and constantly planning, when I didn't even know if that business model (blogging/forum) was good (for my short & long-term goals). I just settled for a less generic name and forced myself to start posting just to do something and get some experience working for myself.

That blog then stumbled into many new business paths which aren't related at all, but are much better opportunities. It's just that doing it made me learn so much and lead me to my current path. If the blog did take off though for some reason then sure, expensive domains are still for sale, expensive artists are still available to make logos, etc.

When you start you have no idea what the thing will even be, and if people even need it or like it. I learned to be less rigid and think less about stuff that wasn't just jumping toward the fire/pain and working.

Also being less emotionally connected to certain names and logos and the idea of what something could be. If you read Shoe Dog, the lore behind Nike's name is cool but that didn't happen until Nike was a thing for a fairly long time (started as Blue Ribbon Sports). Same with Facebook starting as "thefacebook". I think both of Gymshark's logos (even current) were made extremely inexpensively by a local designer and the company is selling that logo which is worth around a billion now.

Of course - branding for your company may be more important compared to my old blog as for food stuff it seems important - just some thoughts I've learned from my experience with this question.

Last edited:

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Jan 14, 2023
Due to profiteering it’s hard to come up with any available combination of English words that’s not a mile long. In order to come up with an impactful domain name you may want to consider foreign words that have applicable connotations and roll off the tongue. As holding domain names hostage is common around the world, your best bet is probably to combine foreign+english words. You’ll find a lot of these available. Prompt chatgpt to “provide a list of 50 one and two syllable english words related to X“, and then “provide a list of 50 one and two syllable Scandinavian words related to diet and health”. Repeat for other geographical regions or languages. Come up with a combination that suits you and check for availability.

You can also consider making up a word or words. Haagen-Dasz is a ubiquitous ice cream brand name, and most people think it’s a high end, exotic foreign brand. The truth is it’s a 100% American brand and Haagen-Dasz is a made up name with no translation.

A couple of other things: Use chatgpt to make sure your name doesn’t have negative connotations in other regions or languages. Also be aware that the USPTO does use translations when determining if a trademark is descriptive, so a made up word can almost always be trademarked but a foreign word may not pass muster. Hope this helps
Thanks @RightyTighty for your advice. You have given me a task for this evening. Let me see what Chatgpt can suggest.

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Jan 14, 2023
Not all of this may apply to you since you may be more stable/long-term in your ideas but I'll write a few thoughts that I learned & experienced since writing this post.

First: I just came up with a slightly less generic version of my original idea (added a suffix) and also took a few suggestions from a helpful user who DM'd me some high-quality names that were available.

I'm glad that I did not spend a good amount on a domain name. When I made this post, I was highly focused on mental stuff and constantly planning, when I didn't even know if that business model (blogging/forum) was good (for my short & long-term goals). I just settled for a less generic name and forced myself to start posting just to do something and get some experience working for myself.

That blog then stumbled into many new business paths which aren't related at all, but are much better opportunities. It's just that doing it made me learn so much and lead me to my current path. If the blog did take off though for some reason then sure, expensive domains are still for sale, expensive artists are still available to make logos, etc.

When you start you have no idea what the thing will even be, and if people even need it or like it. I learned to be less rigid and think less about stuff that wasn't just jumping toward the fire/pain and working.

Also being less emotionally connected to certain names and logos and the idea of what something could be. If you read Shoe Dog, the lore behind Nike's name is cool but that didn't happen until Nike was a thing for a fairly long time (started as Blue Ribbon Sports). Same with Facebook starting as "thefacebook". I think both of Gymshark's logos (even current) were made extremely inexpensively by a local designer and the company is selling that logo which is worth around a billion now.

Of course - branding for your company may be more important compared to my old blog as for food stuff it seems important - just some thoughts I've learned from my experience with this question.
I am glad you finally found a name that suited your goals.
Thanks for the response. Perhaps you could let the fast lane family in on what you are doing in case someone needs your advice?
In order not to overshadow your thread, I will be posting an update to my quest on my progress thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.