The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pandemic ideas uk

Idea threads

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
I am not sure how everyone else is feeling but I am totally confused. Up until march I had a succesful events business and had just invested into a mobile inflatable theme park that was set to have a very good first year at festivals etc. I am finding it hard to adjust and find something I can do as my industry is going to be affected right until the end. I am based in the UK and wondered if others had ideas or success during this time? I know I can make this situation work in my favour however I just quite spot that idea

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am not sure how everyone else is feeling but I am totally confused. Up until march I had a succesful events business and had just invested into a mobile inflatable theme park that was set to have a very good first year at festivals etc. I am finding it hard to adjust and find something I can do as my industry is going to be affected right until the end. I am based in the UK and wondered if others had ideas or success during this time? I know I can make this situation work in my favour however I just quite spot that idea
Are you making full use of government grants, holidays on loan repayments etc?

Have you got your spend down and chased up all outstanding invoices?

Here in Ireland they’re offering €2,500 “Business Continuity Vouchers”, and I availed of one to speak to a business advisor with the government paying for it. (I don’t get the money, it goes direct to a mentor on their mentor panel). Is there something similar in the UK?

Here’s some advice from Blaise Brosnan:
> Blaise Brosnan Discusses Business Survival During C0VlD-19

As for your specific business, what are other similar businesses doing to get revenue for the same offerings, or what new offerings have they created?

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Hi Darren

I'm UK-based too, and I am having the opposite extreme experience. (Explanation at the end of this post just for info)

It's a shame you weren't setting up to cater food at festivals - local to me on the edge of Bournemouth/Poole, there are all sorts of new delivery services springing up which are these companies with their Airstream trailers and Retro van conversions.

What other business or specific hobby etc niche experience do you have?

You are probably a good communicator with a network of contacts in the events industry; can we find a product or service that they might need?

[My tiny home-based online retail business sells a niche subset of Kitchen Tools, and I'm 4.5 times as busy as "normal" - everyone is baking at home. I've had to close my shop for a few hours at a time just to catch up, as have the larger retailers like Lakeland and the companies that sell flour.

For me it's a great gift, a good test bench of "how do I scale up, and how can I fix the inefficient parts"?

My business currently looks and works like a hobby business, it was never supposed to be and I wasn't thinking of doing it long-term. but right now it's in the right place at the right time.]

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
Are you making full use of government grants, holidays on loan repayments etc?

Have you got your spend down and chased up all outstanding invoices?

Here in Ireland they’re offering €2,500 “Business Continuity Vouchers”, and I availed of one to speak to a business advisor with the government paying for it. (I don’t get the money, it goes direct to a mentor on their mentor panel). Is there something similar in the UK?

Here’s some advice from Blaise Brosnan:
> Blaise Brosnan Discusses Business Survival During C0VlD-19

As for your specific business, what are other similar businesses doing to get revenue for the same offerings, or what new offerings have they created?
Ive got all the grants coming but I personally cannot just sit back and relax im hungry for that process of making money! A few of the other event companies are selling sweets which i really cant see its worth the time or effort. Money wise I could sit for another 2 years without worry but I want to make some.

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
Hi Darren

I'm UK-based too, and I am having the opposite extreme experience. (Explanation at the end of this post just for info)

It's a shame you weren't setting up to cater food at festivals - local to me on the edge of Bournemouth/Poole, there are all sorts of new delivery services springing up which are these companies with their Airstream trailers and Retro van conversions.

What other business or specific hobby etc niche experience do you have?

You are probably a good communicator with a network of contacts in the events industry; can we find a product or service that they might need?

[My tiny home-based online retail business sells a niche subset of Kitchen Tools, and I'm 4.5 times as busy as "normal" - everyone is baking at home. I've had to close my shop for a few hours at a time just to catch up, as have the larger retailers like Lakeland and the companies that sell flour.

For me it's a great gift, a good test bench of "how do I scale up, and how can I fix the inefficient parts"?

My business currently looks and works like a hobby business, it was never supposed to be and I wasn't thinking of doing it long-term. but right now it's in the right place at the right time.]
I am thinking to buy and sell something. As you say there is more baking and using the garden than ever. Its just everything I currently own requires events and crowds.

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
Virtual events are huge right now - bigger than ever. How can you tap into that?
The problem with this is there is so much free content out there. For example boohoo clothing is hosting a big name DJ for free everyweek and its totally free to watch.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ive got all the grants coming but I personally cannot just sit back and relax
The word "but" is a red-flag for me.

"I've got all the grants coming and I personally cannot just sit back and relax."

Use the grants to pivot?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am thinking to buy and sell something. As you say there is more baking and using the garden than ever. Its just everything I currently own requires events and crowds.
Could what you own be used for props? For videos etc? There's businesses that just rent out props.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
From the way you phrase things it feels a bit like you're blocking yourself from thinking creatively?

It's a little "yes, but".

Check this out and see if it helps. I'm happy to be wrong and if that's the case then carry on.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
The problem with this is there is so much free content out there. For example boohoo clothing is hosting a big name DJ for free everyweek and its totally free to watch.

There certainly is. So unless your event is absolutely mind-blowing, it's usually sponsors you want to be selling to. They'll happily pay for a profitable audience. In this model, your attendees become the product.

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
There certainly is. So unless your event is absolutely mind-blowing, it's usually sponsors you want to be selling to. They'll happily pay for a profitable audience. In this model, your attendees become the product.
I will definitely look into this

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
From the way you phrase things it feels a bit like you're blocking yourself from thinking creatively?

It's a little "yes, but".

Check this out and see if it helps. I'm happy to be wrong and if that's the case then carry on.
I think the reason I am like this is because really I no longer want to do events. I have been looking for new things. I work especially well face to face selling and now everything has become distanced I just feel totally upside down. Every idea that I relates to gatherings of people and entertaining.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think the reason I am like this is because really I no longer want to do events. I have been looking for new things. I work especially well face to face selling and now everything has become distanced I just feel totally upside down. Every idea that I relates to gatherings of people and entertaining.
I'm a face to face person. Zoom is a pretty good substitute though, and even networking events online are kinda fun.

A client is running online events and doing quite well out of it.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Here is something for you.

Something that bugs foreigners.

How do you get out of a pub loo in England?

I bet all of those doors will be changed. :smuggy:

Dan

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
How do you get out of a pub loo in England?

I bet all of those doors will be changed. :smuggy:

Dan

Actually this reminds me of a conversation I was having about pubs and restaurants re-opening (if, when).

Struck me that there might be a much larger market for surface cleaning and sanitization services and supplies than in the past. Is there any mileage in that for you?

What other markets are there like that? If you'd been a Perspex / Plexiglass screen installer for example in the last few weeks you'd've been very busy.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Do you recall a few years ago the MRSA thing in hospitals?

All of a sudden Deep Cleaning was the buzzword. The cleaning contractors were all suited up in hazmat suits cleaning absolutely everything. Probably charged the NHS a fortune too.

Funny thing is that that is what they should have been doing anyway!

Hotels and Pubs will all be doing Deep Cleans no doubt as a way to differentiate themselves in Marketing until everyone does it.

People might think more about who exactly is in the pub kitchen making their Prawn Cocktail now. :)

Dan

Glenn-GFit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Jul 10, 2017
London
Sorry to talk about jumping on a trend but exercise is HUGE as a business right now as well with gyms being closed. Could you look at bulk importing a bunch of easy to transport home exercise equipment such as TRX's and amazon them?

DEFINITELY not a long term business model but could be a way to up-cash pretty quick?

I'm a fitness business owner and put out a post re: a fitness equipment rental service, people were biting my hand off at the idea?

Darren.P.R

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 21, 2018
Berkshire UK
Sorry to talk about jumping on a trend but exercise is HUGE as a business right now as well with gyms being closed. Could you look at bulk importing a bunch of easy to transport home exercise equipment such as TRX's and amazon them?

DEFINITELY not a long term business model but could be a way to up-cash pretty quick?

I'm a fitness business owner and put out a post re: a fitness equipment rental service, people were biting my hand off at the idea?

Yeah that could be good, like the imitation Trx style kits

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.