The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Look at Japanese people.

Sigh.

I'm not looking at Paleo as a one-size-fits-all answer for everything and everyone on the planet.

But here's some food for thought... I'd bet ya the centurions in Okinawa Japan haven't changed their diet in centuries, which is why the continue to live to 100+. They're genetically predisposed to eat what their ancestors ate, much of which is determined by the what's indigenous to the geography and region. So yea, introducing an alternative diet to these people probably isn't a bright idea.

Last edited:

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Sigh.

I'm not looking at Paleo as a one-size-fits-all answer for everything and everyone on the planet.

But here's some food for thought... I'd bet ya the centurions in Okinawa Japan haven't changed their diet in centuries, which is why the continue to live to 100+. They're genetically predisposed to eat what their ancestors ate, much of which is determined by the what's indigenous to the geography and region. So yea, introducing an alternative diet to these people probably isn't a bright idea.

I haven't read the book yet, but it talks about why the Japanese (and others) live longer. ==>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E6IHD6/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Also, there was a sale on the most popular Paleo books not long ago so I got them on Kindle. I'll eventually read them, but the book (or binder of books) I put more faith (keyword is faith since I'm not a nutrition expert. I'm putting my faith in their expertise) in is Precision Nutrition's.

I read this article (http://coachlevi.com/nutrition/precision-nutrition-vs-paleo-diet/) on Precision Nutrition vs The Paleo Diet and want to get PN's book more than ever now...

P.S. Why do authors remove their books from purchase on Kindle? This is MRW I see that it's not for sale on Kindle anymore... :(

EDIT: Here's the book for Kindle. It's listed twice. One w/o Kindle and the other with. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WL6D60/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Last edited:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Better food = less things that come out of a can, out of a cardboard box in a freezer, and more fresh cuts of meet, and vegetables. Notice how much more colour is on the plate of a meal in Japan than a lot of meals in America.

However, because fast food chains have become popular in Japan now, the overall quality if food is becoming worse

Dude. You just described paleo in a nutshell...

Nice debate gentleman. Thank you - both - for the education. This is an interesting topic and you both bring up thought provoking points. I appreciate the civility / passion (a rare combination on forum posts) that you both are sharing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
54929202.jpg

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
I started paleo 2 weeks ago.

First time I heard about it was on this forum about 2 years ago.

Now I'm hearing people doing paleo and effortlessly losing 30 kilos in a few months.

Wow!

Serks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2015
I started paleo 2 weeks ago.

First time I heard about it was on this forum about 2 years ago.

Now I'm hearing people doing paleo and effortlessly losing 30 kilos in a few months.

Wow!

I'm not sure what your body is like at the moment but I would suggest being careful of anything that makes you lose that much weight in a short amount of time.

I went through a period when I was on the slow-carb diet written about in the 4-hour body. It was great for dropping weight and body fat but I sacrificed A LOT of muscle in order to get there. Then I've spent the time since rebuilding all that muscle. What I would suggest is getting a dexa scan, working out your numbers and taking your time dropping down. That is of course unless you have a massive amount of weight to lose.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I'm 28 and started paleo almost 2 months now. Since then, I've lost 19 lbs and am planning on losing another 15 lbs. My starting weight was 185.8 lbs at 5'7. I love paleo just because I love meat. My first week was difficult but I am totally used to giving up carbs. As an FYI, in my 20's, I've never been able to get below 160 but I feel like it will happen soon!

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Thanks ! i am reading some blogs about it and find it might be something it would suit my lifestyle.
I eat the Mediteranean diet ( by culture rather than a personnal choice ) ....supposedly very good, but i think it depends on the body type and age :innocent: :halo:.....eating croissants or bread and butter for breakfast is great when you are 20 but not as great in your thirties.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
picard-facepalm.jpg

Dude. You just described paleo in a nutshell...
To be honest, I googled Paleolithic diet a while ago, and the description is was basically eating a diet that was supposedly eaten by ancestors many thousands of years ago. I'm failing to see how eating what I described is like how people ate when people were still living hunter-gatherer lifestyles.

Bam.

Waiting for your credentials. And experience. I'm guessing, none.
Asking for credentials on this matter? Really? I've got first-hand experience and observation.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
To be honest, I googled Paleolithic diet a while ago, and the description is was basically eating a diet that was supposedly eaten by ancestors many thousands of years ago. I'm failing to see how eating what I described is like how people ate when people were still living hunter-gatherer lifestyles.
You didn't do enough research to make the comments/assertions you are making...

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
My take on Paleo:

It is a good food style for people with specific lifestyles.
However, it is not for everyone.

Some people that it is not for are:
- Athletes (Need a mix of simple and complex carbs for optimum performance.)
- Bodybuilders (Need a LOT of carbs for optimum sizegains.)
- People with very long working hours (I work 14 hours a day whereof 10 hours sporting and with a pure paleo lifestyle you would quickly be unable to keep your performances on the job up.)

The basics are true for everyone;
Eat lots of healthy fats
Eat lots of veggies/fruits

And this is fine for the general population, but once again; Paleo is not for everyone.

Next to that it's also unpayable for the non-wealthy in many places of the world. When I ate strictly paleo I spend around €600 a week on food for myself. with my daily food intake of 6500 calories. (Which I all burn within a normal workday. so if I would like to build some size I would have to upp that calorie intake even more=spend more money.) Imagine having to provide for an active family in these parts of the world...

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I don't see why people have such a problem with the paleo lifestlye!!!!

What's wrong with eating healthy meats, eggs, big plates of vegetables and fruits, snacking on nuts and seeds, and avoiding sugar, grains, chemicals and processed foods!?!?

There is a lot of research behind the idea that a lot of the grains eaten in the typical western diet are not ideal for human digestion. And even a lot of research that suggests that some of these grains are actually harmful. The nutrients from these grains, as well as the fiber, can be obtained from other plant and animal sources. We aren't missing out on ANYTHING by not eating candy, donuts, and pizza.

Some people can eat dairy (like small amounts of cheese) on paleo and tolerate it well (like me), and some people avoid it completely (my daughter, for example). We have different racial backgrounds, which might explain that.

Just because we are fans of the lifestyle doesn't mean that we are mindless drones that just follow whatever sort of dogma that we hear. We've all researched this very extensively - much more than the "average" person. It's all about doing what works best for the individual. And we can probably agree that getting rid of all of the processed crap won't hurt anyone.

:)

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
People with very long working hours (I work 14 hours a day whereof 10 hours sporting and with a pure paleo lifestyle you would quickly be unable to keep your performances on the job up.)

I can vouch that this isn't true at all. I do a low-carb paleo version and can go on high activity at volunteering that I do (very high - constant motion) for 10-12 hours a stretch and be just fine.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
The one with experience is never at the mercy of the one with an argument.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Any recommandation for a great book on Paleo ( sorry if it was suggested already )
Practical Paleo - Lots of clearly related information, AWESOME recipes, colorful, wonderful.

We use it and love it.

Edit to add: I'm going to second what @AllenCrawley said above: you can argue until you are blue in the face, but experience trumps argument every time. I've done Atkins in the past and never felt better nor did I have better "numbers" on my blood work. Guarantee that EVERY time I met with my physician, she was SHOCKED at how I looked, felt, etc on that "horrible, horrible" diet.

Now onto Paleo as it's actually something that the whole family can get behind, and it's also easier to shop, starvation is gone, and I can go to the gym and pound the plates (325 lb x 12 squat, anyone?) without a problem.

Plus, as a physician, I'm truly shocked at how the wheat/gluten/processed foods industry has really and truly warped our food chain. Shocked and disgusted.

Last edited:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Some people that it is not for are:
- Athletes (Need a mix of simple and complex carbs for optimum performance.)
- Bodybuilders (Need a LOT of carbs for optimum sizegains.)
- People with very long working hours (I work 14 hours a day whereof 10 hours sporting and with a pure paleo lifestyle you would quickly be unable to keep your performances on the job up.)

My personal experience differs from yours.

I was a parkour and acrobatics athlete training 20+ hours a week on very strict paleo and it greatly helped my performance. I was able to do a dip with 165 lbs hanging from my waist and a pullup with 120 lbs at a weight of 165.

I was squatting 325 for 3x3 and pulling 365x1 on my deadlift, too. Power Snatch was at about 185 and Power C&J was at about 250.

Also not really sure about the long working hours thing. How do long working hours get affected by paleo?

Last edited:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I googled Paleolithic diet a while ago
Nice - no wonder you have such an incredible depth of knowledge here.
I did a whole30 (you can also google that) a while back - emphasis on "did" - never felt better, thought more clearly, or managed my composition more easily.
I'll take my experience over your opinion any day of the week.
The entire concept is pretty much common sense except for dairy and grains - which once you experience, you know is legit.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
I'd be lying if I said I followed it religiously, as I loves me some carbs and beer...

But paleo works brilliantly for me. So, to be fair, does a whole foods diet of fresh meat/fish with vegetables and brown rice etc. I've gone months at a time eating basically zero carbs and never felt better or been more energetic, or so full on comparatively very few calories. And the fat drops off me when I follow it. I've also been extremely overweight in the past.

I generally don't bother talking about it anymore as everyone will insist "you need carbs in your diet!!!!1111111", and they're dead wrong. Maybe for people who are naturally stick thin and never put on weight no matter how much they eat or how little exercise they do, there might be some truth in that.

Chances are, if you're the kind of person who struggles with their weight, carb intolerance is a big part of the problem. I can bloat up like a balloon on just a few bad/carb heavy meals. Avoid carbs and it's basically impossible for me to gain fat, without depriving myself of anything (er, except carbs :D).

If it were more affordable I'd eat steak and eggs for most every meal.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I can vouch that this isn't true at all. I do a low-carb paleo version and can go on high activity at volunteering that I do (very high - constant motion) for 10-12 hours a stretch and be just fine.
This is totally true when you are tapping fat as your main source of energy rather than carbs. You have way less "up and down", much more consistent energy levels over longer periods, and a much less urgent sense of appetite.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Okay di
Alrighty then.
Nice - no wonder you have such an incredible depth of knowledge here.
I did a whole30 (you can also google that) a while back - emphasis on "did" - never felt better, thought more clearly, or managed my composition more easily.
I'll take my experience over your opinion any day of the week.
The entire concept is pretty much common sense except for dairy and grains - which once you experience, you know is legit.
bm1142i-just-don-t-care-posters1.jpg

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
This is totally true when you are tapping fat as your main source of energy rather than carbs. You have way less "up and down", much more consistent energy levels over longer periods, and a much less urgent sense of appetite.

You do have more consistent energy levels, and that's one of the great benefits.
However, your average energy levels are less than if you where to schedule your diet to have a period for "High energy" such as an athletic competition, a powerlifting meet, and so forth.

On my current day job I have to perform a dance show 4 up to 5 times a week, when I was pure paleo, my energy and performance went down.
So now I'm eating by the basic rules of paleo, with the exception of eating a heavy load of carbs a few hours before the show.

This also comes with the study that has shown that men use mainly fat as fuel during the day and carbs during heavy intense activity.
(While it showed that women are the opposite: Using carbs as fuel during the day and fat's during heavy intense activity.But that's off-topic info.)

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I dunno....Yams/sweet potatoes are totally paleo and oh so NOMMY!

*wipes mouth*

Sorry, what was that again?

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Why does everyone think carbs are not paleo...?
Since the carbs that are not allowed by Paleo, are the ones that the above groups that I mentioned need most.

Sure you can start eating a shitload of veggies, but that will just leave you with an incredibly full stomach and less energy. two things you do not want at moments that you need to perform.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.