The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I don't care what diet you follow, either way processed foods are horrible for your body. I'm sorry but eating 2,000 calories of McDonalds or 2000 of fresh meat, fruits and veggies is just not the same thing. Go test it out and see how your body reacts ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
We survived for over 2 million years on a Paleo lifestyle. We have evolved into the superior beings we are today. If you look at all the health issues in todays world, it seems as if we're de-volving. Going backwards.

If you consider that back then, paleolithic man didn't have to deal with health issues since they weren't living long enough to reach them, and obviously weren't suffering from obesity due to caloric restriction and an active lifestyle. It's also not that we are de-volving, viruses continue to evolve. Of course there are different, new health issues now that didn't exist back then, because viruses adapt and evolve around vaccines and antibiotics quite a bit.

I can go on and on about this, but I honestly don't have the time. I'm extremely serious about nutrition. I've done countless hours of research on all diets/lifestyles. I'm not saying I know everything. I'm just saying that I know enough to make informed decisions about what to eat, and what not to eat. I know what works for me. It might not work for everyone, but it has worked for every single person I have coached.

I didn't say the paleo diet doesn't work. I didn't say it's wrong or that it's wrong to be on it. I'm saying that just because it "works for you and everyone else" does not make it the most efficient, or mean that there's something special about it. Personally, I feel like any restriction saying "I can't touch processed foods" or anything along those lines is an unhealthy mental attitude. Anything/everything in moderation.

The Paleo lifestyle isn't about losing weight, or gaining muscle. If that's why your doing it, then your doing it for the wrong reasons.

I've never felt, or looked better in my life.

Then why are you even mentioning you look better if it's not about that at all?
Yeah, I get it, you think it's healthier. But I would contend that you would do just as well with a multivitamin originating from plants, macronutrient limitation, hitting a fiber minimum. With that, if you're not just wildly trying to bulk up, you'll have to eat whole foods to stay full anyways.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
Note that part where his HDL cholesterol improved and LDL cholesterol decreased. Not to mention his triglycerides went down as well.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
An article from Alan Aragon on clean eating, who even mentions the paleo diet in there, since you seem to refuse to read any of the people I mentioned.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...rain-intake-by-paleo-man-research-review.html
From Lyle McDonald.

Dr. Layne Norton on the subject.

I don't care what diet you follow, either way processed foods are horrible for your body. I'm sorry but eating 2,000 calories of McDonalds or 2000 of fresh meat, fruits and veggies is just not the same thing. Go test it out and see how your body reacts ;)

Nowhere have I said that I recommend eating 2,000 calories of McDonald's. The food is so calorie heavy, you would be starving throughout the day. You would also be missing out on micronutrients and fiber, and would be getting too much fat and carbs relative to your protein intake.
But if you fit McDonald's into your 2,000 calorie daily limit, you'll be just fine in fat loss, your health will not suffer, your body will not suffer, and the world won't magically come to an end.

I'm just saying there's nothing magic about the paleo diet or any diet.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
If you consider that back then, paleolithic man didn't have to deal with health issues since they weren't living long enough to reach them, and obviously weren't suffering from obesity due to caloric restriction and an active lifestyle. It's also not that we are de-volving, viruses continue to evolve. Of course there are different, new health issues now that didn't exist back then, because viruses adapt and evolve around vaccines and antibiotics quite a bit.

Where do you get this info from??

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/08/life-expectancy-and-growth-of.html (Click the link to the chart too)

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Life-Expectancy-What-is-Life-Expectancy.aspx (Just a little info on Life Expectancy)

Anything/everything in moderation.

I've never agreed with this saying. I think it's more of an excuse. What does that mean exactly? Does it mean to do drugs in moderation? Does it mean it's ok if rob and steal as long as I do it in moderation (LOL)? And what exactly is moderation? Moderation to you, might not be moderation to me. Most people use that as an excuse, and their moderation is having a 2 donuts, not 3. Or smoking 5 cigarettes a day, not 10.

No ones saying you can't touch processed food. You can do whatever you please. Just think about what your doing to your body when you put that crap in it. America has gone from one of the healthiest countries in the world, to one of the unhealthiest. And until recently, we were #1 in Obesity. Mexico just took the lead. Do you know why? Processed foods. Processed foods are leading to Obesity, heart attacks, a whole slew of auto-immune diseases, and Autism. When I was your age, I didn't know anyone with autism. Not it's running rampant. It's everywhere. This has A LOT to do with the crap we eat.

Then why are you even mentioning you look better if it's not about that at all?

I'm mentioning it because it's an added bonus, and just proof that my body is running like a well oiled machine right now.

Yeah, I get it, you think it's healthier. But I would contend that you would do just as well with a multivitamin originating from plants, macronutrient limitation, hitting a fiber minimum.

The issue here is that your body doesn't absorb the nutrients from vitamins, as it does with whole, raw foods. It doesn't even compare.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
Note that part where his HDL cholesterol improved and LDL cholesterol decreased. Not to mention his triglycerides went down as well.

I actually argue this point with people who are brainwashed into taking Isagenix. They have you restricted to 1200 calories a day. I explain to them that I can lose weight like that whether I'm eating 1200 calories worth of Big Macs, Donuts or Celery. If weight loss is your goal, and your only goal, then drop the calories and you will lose weight. It's a proven fact. That doesn't mean it's good for you. The long term effects of that will be disastrous.

Dr. Layne Norton on the subject.

Why this video? This guy is just stating fact. This is basically a video for people who know nothing about nutrition, and dieting. This has nothing to do with Paleo.

I'm just saying there's nothing magic about the paleo diet or any diet.

There's definitely nothing magic about it. Don't know who said it was. I don't think there's anything magic about your health improving after cutting junk out of your diet. Basically, that's what Paleo is. Cutting out the junk. Eating real, whole foods. How can you go wrong? How can you argue that it's not a good concept?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
duty_calls.png

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013

Exactly, 30 years. That's not living long enough to experience heart disease and several illnesses, especially when not living with nutrient deficiencies and living an active lifestyle.

I've never agreed with this saying. I think it's more of an excuse. What does that mean exactly? Does it mean to do drugs in moderation? Does it mean it's ok if rob and steal as long as I do it in moderation (LOL)? And what exactly is moderation? Moderation to you, might not be moderation to me. Most people use that as an excuse, and their moderation is having a 2 donuts, not 3. Or smoking 5 cigarettes a day, not 10.

Alcohol, drugs, many of them will do nothing detrimental to your health in moderation.
In this specific case, moderation is eating enough to fulfill your micronutrient requirements while eating at a deficit, maintenance, or a slight surplus, depending on one's goals.

No ones saying you can't touch processed food. You can do whatever you please. Just think about what your doing to your body when you put that crap in it. America has gone from one of the healthiest countries in the world, to one of the unhealthiest. And until recently, we were #1 in Obesity. Mexico just took the lead. Do you know why? Processed foods.

Do you have evidence to support that or are you just saying that? It's not like it has anything to do with the vastly increased portion sizes we have now: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/eat-right/distortion.htm
Countries eat less than us. That's it. Do you think other countries don't have fast food chains?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/unusual-fast-food-items-from-around-the-world

Many of the countries listed there have low obesity rates.

Processed foods are leading to Obesity, heart attacks, a whole slew of auto-immune diseases, and Autism. When I was your age, I didn't know anyone with autism. Not it's running rampant. It's everywhere. This has A LOT to do with the crap we eat.

What do you even mean by 'processed' foods anyway? Literally all that means is those foods have followed a process to be produced. The foods you eat are processed. In another post in a different thread, you said you take MCT Oil and BCAAs, and you also consume grass-fed butter and coffee. Is your grass-fed butter from a farmer's market? If not, it's probably been machine processed. Same with your MCT Oil and BCAAs. Is your coffee organic, or has that been treated?

Heart attacks: Most frequently caused by high LDL cholesterol levels and low HDL cholesterol levels. If you had closely read that article I linked to in my last post, you would know that guy's blood levels for Triglycerides and Cholesterol improved while on his diet of twinkies and 'junk' food. His heart health therefore improved.

Obesity: I covered this, relate it to portion sizes of countries and it becomes obvious. That it's not about the content of the food.

Autism: http://autismmythbusters.com/general-public/home/autism-epidemic/

I'm mentioning it because it's an added bonus, and just proof that my body is running like a well oiled machine right now.

A good body either is or isn't indicative of good health. Make up your mind.

The issue here is that your body doesn't absorb the nutrients from vitamins, as it does with whole, raw foods. It doesn't even compare.

Says who? What is your proof? Why would that be so?

I actually argue this point with people who are brainwashed into taking Isagenix. They have you restricted to 1200 calories a day. I explain to them that I can lose weight like that whether I'm eating 1200 calories worth of Big Macs, Donuts or Celery. If weight loss is your goal, and your only goal, then drop the calories and you will lose weight. It's a proven fact. That doesn't mean it's good for you. The long term effects of that will be disastrous.

Well I'm talking 1800 calories a day, that's first of all a big difference. You also said that processed foods are the reason for obesity. Now is it the process that's causing obesity or the over consumption of calories? Make up your damn mind.

Why this video? This guy is just stating fact. This is basically a video for people who know nothing about nutrition, and dieting. This has nothing to do with Paleo.

It does though. The point is that your health does not suffer from small things, nor does your body composition. If your diet is mostly made up foods that fulfill your nutritional requirements, nothing bad will happen from touching that ice cream or pizza. So yeah, you're right, he is just stating fact.

There's definitely nothing magic about it. Don't know who said it was. I don't think there's anything magic about your health improving after cutting junk out of your diet. Basically, that's what Paleo is. Cutting out the junk. Eating real, whole foods.

That's the magic you're claiming. There is no special property that the paleo diet has that magically improves people's health. There is no evidence I've seen to support that it is superior to improving one's health than any basic diet that adds in a balance of different macronutrients and micronutrients. I'm saying that there's no junk you're cutting out. You're either cutting out nutritionally empty things or you're not(With the rare exceptions of people who are sensitive to certain ingredients or have pre-existing health conditions). There's a select few ingredients, such as trans fats that have been shown to have some detriment to health. Besides those few, I'm saying there's nothing special for your health in cutting them out. And that kind of mentally restrictive lifestyle just makes it difficult to live. It makes you inflexible when your family or friends want to go out to eat. It makes you inflexible when you want to grab a quick bite. It makes you inflexible when you really just want something sugary.

How can you go wrong? How can you argue that it's not a good concept?

How can I argue that? Easily. The paleo diet advocates only buying organic foods, which typically aren't pre-cooked. Nevermind the fact that non-GMO foods and organic foods are difficult to come by since they often neighbor fields that do have GMOs and pesticides in them that blow over into the organic fields(they don't have to tell you that part on the label, so who knows what you're really getting for paying twice the price).

So by trying to adhere to a paleo diet, you spend -- no -- waste money on organic foods that aren't even organic, spend extra time trying to cook meals all the time from home, tell yourself you can't enjoy a bite out to dinner with your family or friends, and all around simply make it more difficult on your mental health to do things you may want to do. That's why I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

All in all, there's no point in having this conversation. If I were speaking to someone who hadn't already rooted their lifestyle in the diet, there would be the opportunity to enlighten them. However, discussing this with someone who's already drank the kool-aid is a waste of time. There will be no changing your outlook because you don't want to change it. I can show you all the evidence in the world and you will ignore it, and conversely you'll rely on logical fallacies to continue believing what you believe.
And hey, that's fine. If you want to live 'paleo', that's obviously your call and it certainly won't kill you. But I'm not going to pretend with other people that it's ideal when I think it causes unnecessary mental and financial stress.

No matter what though, I would encourage you to stop confusing causation with correlation. That one can be a real bitch, no matter what the argument is about.

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Ima sucka. @Likwid24 @andviv and @Red are coaching me along. Been Paleo for a couple weeks now. I feel incredible. Energy levels are rising on a daily basis, I have more mental clarity and I've lost 10 lbs so far.

:happy:

Last edited:

shedim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 9, 2013
Mark Sisson usually backs his claims up with solid evidence, studies etc. and if you actually bother checking the research behind his statements, you'll see his arguments are pretty sound.

Paleo is definitely working and calling it "unhealthy" or "just another diet" is like all the slowlaners discrediting fastlane principles just because they've been taught to think mainstream.

Whiphsh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jan 10, 2013
Lithuania
So much bull in this thread.

Wouldn't expect this from a forum consisting of people as smart as you but oh well you can't know everything I guess.

Not like it matters anyway.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
My opinion on the paleo diet: If the foods were that great and that superb, cavemen wouldn't have had an average life expectancy of 16 years. I've gained more weight, had more energy, and had better lifts just eating whatever I wanted while making sure my fiber, protein, baseline fats and micronutrients were covered.

They most often died from injuries, infections, being eaten by predators etc. Not heart disease, cancer...
Same reason animals in captivity live longer than in the wild, it's not because they are necessarily healthier, it's because there are less dangers.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Am I the only one who wanted to
see @Likwid24 respond to that last lengthy post?!

@Determined2012 - No reason to respond. Arguments not going anywhere. I made my points based off facts. Maybe if he took the time to read, or research my points, I'd respond. He Didn't look at one link I sent him. Even if he did, it's a waste of my valuable time. I thought I knew everything at his age as well. What's the point?

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
@Determined2012 - No reason to respond. Arguments not going anywhere. I made my points based off facts. Maybe if he took the time to read, or research my points, I'd respond. He Didn't look at one link I sent him. Even if he did, it's a waste of my valuable time. I thought I knew everything at his age as well. What's the point?

This reminds me of a saying by one of my mentors a couple years ago that I think is pretty funny and to the point.

He used to tell me that when he was a kid, he was argumentative and always had to prove himself right (he was dirt poor then). He then finally adopted a saying/philosophy of the following:

"You be right, I be rich".

And he's now a multimillionaire.

Lesson learned - often times, it's simply not worth the argument...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So much bull in this thread.

Who are you referring too? And who are you?

Paleo is definitely working and calling it "unhealthy" or "just another diet" is like all the slowlaners discrediting fastlane principles just because they've been taught to think mainstream.

The parallels are strikingly similar.

Ima sucka. @Likwid24 @andviv and @Red are coaching me along. Been Paleo for a couple weeks now. I feel incredible. Energy levels are rising on a daily basis, I have more mental clarity and I've lost 10 lbs so far.

When it comes to health and dietary advice, most arguments render useless because everybody is different. Each body responds to different dietary intakes in different fashion, and genetics play a role as well.

If someone lives a Paleo lifestyle and feels great, looks great, and has a lipid profile to back it up, does it FN matter what anyone else says?

Is someone seriously going to say "Well, I feel great and I look damn good -- buy hey, the John Smith, PHD of the FDA says that this isn't healthy -- let me go back to eating 75% carbs and grain-based food so I can go back to feeling like shit again." LOL.

Whatever works FOR YOU, works for you.

If drinking a glass of monkey urine 3X a day makes me feel good, look good, and my blood work reflects such, WTF is anyone to say otherwise?

The point of this thread should not be a debate about Paleo, but about giving you an alternative to try if you're body doesn't look and feel as it should.

Whiphsh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jan 10, 2013
Lithuania
Who are you referring too? And who are you?

This could be said for anything, doesn't really matter. Talking about paleo, it's just a way to differentiate yourself from all the other ''gurus'' out there.

Paleo works, but guess what, anything that restricts calories will work. Add in the benefits of eating more whole foods, protein, eating less polyunsaturated fat and processed food + generally exercising more and you've got a killer nutrition and exercise plan which is better than most of the shit out there.

But that doesn't mean grains are bad or carbs are bad. You have to eat them in moderation (which is hard for some people, including myself).

Paleo is just an easy solution for those who don't want to count how much they eat. I personally want to be in control of it so I track how much I eat and what the result is. Moderation requires a hell of a lot more self-control and discipline but at least you know what and how exactly something affects your body.

I was specifically relating to the person who despised the concept of tracking calories and macronutrients you're taking in because a 19 year old proposed it (or rather referred to it). It's evident that your metabolism starts to slow down at a certain pace (very slowly though) after a certain age, add in the fact that you're probably sitting much more these days and you'll start to understand why it is as it is. This doesn't make the second law of thermodynamics incorrect.

Do whatever you want, just accept the facts. There are people who are times smarter than me and explained this in much more detail. This stuff is easy to find.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Paleo works, but guess what, anything that restricts calories will work.

I'm not sure if I know anyone who does Paleo that restricts their calories. What are you talking about. You may be referring to that Isagenix scam. Paleo isn't about losing weight. It's about proper nutrition. It makes you feel great. I'm 36 years old and I make my 2 year old niece tired. My energy is through the roof. My blood work is so good right now, that my doctor keeps asking me questions about what I'm doing. And to top it off, I probably look better now, then when I was 21. Not even with that intention in mind. I didn't try Paleo to lose weight. I never even attempted to restrict my calories. In fact, I'm probably eating much more now.

You have to eat them in moderation

Man, I hate this saying! I cringe every time I hear it. Everything in Moderation. What does that even mean? All it is, is an excuse. Who defines what moderation is. Everyone has their own opinion of what moderation is. Almost everyone that I've heard use that line, goes way beyond what most would consider moderation.

I'm going to do some research, but I'm pretty sure that term came about by someone who was making an excuse for the things they do.

GRRRRRRRRR. Lol

Whiphsh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jan 10, 2013
Lithuania
I'm not sure if I know anyone who does Paleo that restricts their calories.

Man, I hate this saying! I cringe every time I hear it.

I'm going to do some research, but I'm pretty sure that term came about by someone who was making an excuse for the things they do.

GRRRRRRRRR. Lol

1. That's because you don't have to consciously do it. It happens by itself unless you compensate the lack of carbs with fat (a hell lot of fat in most cases so it's highly unlikely).

2. I don't like the saying too but it is what it is. I'd rather someone followed the paleo diet and ate grains or whatever on occasion as most people don't have the discipline required to track what and how much they eat and would rather go to an extreme with forbids certain kinds of food - which is much easier to stick to in my experience).

The point behind my post wasn't to say that paleo is a load of bull, but to say that it's ignorant to ignore the evidence and say that everything else is bad and paleo is the best thing ever.

Paleo is awesome and all but come on don't become zealots like this fella here.

shedim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Oct 9, 2013
Some people here mentioned Lyle McDonald and while I absolutely appreciate Lyle's opinion and his dietary advice, his "RFL (Rapid Fat Loss) diet" or other diets are something I could never do. I would just not be able to cope with RFL's severe restrictions. What I like best about paleo is the fact that it isn't as restrictive as other "diets" , the food doesn't taste like....manure...and you don't need to count calories etc.

Paleo is to me just like a product that I tried, liked, that worked very well for me and that I'd recommend to other people because I firmly believe it can add a load of value to their life. If somebody asked me how to lose some weight without any huge restrictions to the diet and without any suffering involved, I'd tell them to give paleo a try. It works and I am living proof. However, I wouldn't run around telling everybody that paleo is the best and completely disregard any facts that could prove me wrong. For instance, my family and my gf don't like paleo and I'm not trying to convince them to adopt my dietary habits, despite the fact that I think it could solve a lot of their health issues and add value to their life. I'm perfectly fine with me being Neo, looking like an athlete and enjoying vibrant health while eating delicious food. I'm glad I can see the Matrix but I'm neither trying to wake everybody up rubbing them my reality underneath their noses, nor am I blind to criticism or facts, unaware of the fact that my truth might not be THE truth, just MY truth. If somebody does prove me wrong or can show me something I didn't think of before, I would be happy rather than offended because it offers me the opportunity to learn and improve.

All in all, there are only a few books that managed to add so much value to my life that I wouldn't want to live without that knowledge anymore and as you can imagine MJ's TMF is one of them as well as Mark Sisson's books about paleo. Funnily most of those authors' first name is "Mark", so please MJ don't tell me you're another "Mark", or I'll probably end up giving my first born that name, then ;-)

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I don't know if it was mentioned here, but US News came out with the "Best Diets 2014" list.

You can check it out here: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet

There are rankings of different diets for different objectives.

I personally want to focus on a Mediterranean diet.

Here's the link to the Paleo overview from US News: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/paleo-diet

MHolland

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 26, 2013
Anyone try the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I did a "Paleo Challenge" at my gym recently. The challenge was to eat only Paleo for 6 weeks. Submits results at the end of the 6 weeks and he or she that shows the most drastic changes, wins free membership for a certain time. Of the 80+ participants, I got 1st place and 2 free months membership. The results that I submitted included the following Before and After:

Pictures
Weight
Fat %
6-wk diet log
Blood work - that's right! Blood work from a lab. Sample taken before Paleo and a sample right after.

I ate 6,000 - 8,000 calories daily. This included various combinations of eggs, steaks, sausages, ground beef, soup bone and roasts for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and another snack at night time. I also threw in steamed vegetables drenched in olive oil for a good measure of carbs for energy at the gym. Tons of sea salt! No holds barred on hot sauce either.

Asides from the 19 lb weight loss, a drastic improvement in the before/after pics as well as fat % loss, what blew my mind was the improvement in the blood work. When they say that eating red meat and salt will kill you - what a load of baloney! All parameters of the blood work report showed HUGE improvements, especially with MCV, MCH, LDL, HDL, RBC, WBC, and a long list of other parameters that the lab people measure and submit to our genius MD's in white coats, who love to preach the importance of reducing meat and salt intake.

FINE PRINT: all the meat that i ate was organic, grass-fed, grass-finished beef straight from a farm. The eggs were not organic. I used urinalysis strips daily to monitor if my body was in ketosis or not. I remained in ketosis all throughout the 6 weeks. I drank water like a race horse.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I ate 6,000 - 8,000 calories daily.

I call bullshit on this. Eating paleo/low-carb doesnt offset the laws of thermodynamics. Unless you're juicing of course. Whats your age, weight, BF% and what do you squat/bench/deadlift?

Can you post an example 6000-8000kcal day?

I'm not talking out of my a$$ here. I did a lot of reading/research on this and am eating a cyclic ketogenic diet with mostly paleo foods with exceptions on my refeed days for a year now, while lifting heavy. And I eat a lot less daily calories than you.

Good job with the weight loss. A good part of it will be water weight though.

Last edited:

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Paleo is a good set of rules to follow if your goal is health. I've read the last few pages of this thread and stopped because of hearing the typical holier than thou fanaticism when it comes to diet. Whatever works best for you is what you should do. But the truth is, few people actually know this without rigorous log keeping, testing, and researching their own genetics. People like to use the calories in, calories out theory when it comes to justifying the crap they're eating, but they forget that junk food can cause inflammation and throw your hormones out of whack. This is what causes sickness and autoimmune diseases. It can also put the body in a less than optimal state for building muscle, burning excess fat, or even getting a good night's rest. So moderation is necessary with the acceptance and mitigation of occasional poor food choices. If you're going to indulge, post workout is probably your best bet.

MHolland

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 26, 2013
I call bullshit on this. Eating paleo/low-carb doesnt offset the laws of thermodynamics. Unless you're juicing of course. Whats your age, weight, BF% and what do you squat/bench/deadlift?

Can you post an example 6000-8000kcal day?

I'm not talking out of my a$$ here. I did a lot of reading/research on this and am eating a cyclic ketogenic diet with mostly paleo foods with exceptions on my refeed days for a year now, while lifting heavy. And I eat a lot less daily calories than you.

Good job with the weight loss. A good part of it will be water weight though.

Call it what you will my friend. With Paleo, you're either in the know or you're not. Simple as such.

Not totally sure by what you mean by "refeed" days, but my "refeed" was usually my next meal. Because I'd be seriously hungry by then.

I'm not a body builder. I do crossfit. I lift lighter than the average male. I started at 219 lbs before the diet challenge and finished at 200 lbs. BF % before was at 26%, finished at 19%. I'm 6'2".

Here's an example of a typical day:

Breakfast - 7am | 6 par-boiled eggs, 2 chicken breasts, 2 black coffees, perrier
Snack - 11am | 2 sausages, black coffee, perrier
Lunch - 2pm | 16 oz beef tenderloin, 15 oz costco steamed vegetables w/olive oil, perrier
Snack - 5pm | 3 sausages, black coffee, perrier
Dinner - 9pm | 16 oz top sirloin, 15 oz costco steamed vegetables w/olive oil, perrier
Snack - 12pm | Large bowl of shank soup

Some days I was crazy hungry, other days not so much and so wouldn't eat as frequently or would just have smaller portions. But on the whole, I found I was eating a lot more than usual. Probably because I wasn't stuffing my face with breads, pastas, cereals and sugars.

Above, Stephanos83 makes a fantastic point about calories in vs. calories out. It boils down to WHAT you eat, not HOW MUCH you eat in terms of the number of calories.

By the way, I've tried juicing as well. Absolutely love it! But I prefer beef over kale. Cheers!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
hearing the typical holier than thou fanaticism
With Paleo, you're either in the know or you're not. Simple as such.

Ok.

Not totally sure by what you mean by "refeed" days

Its a concept in low-carb diets. You eat a bigger amount of carbs once a week to bring your leptin levels back up.

Breakfast - 7am | 6 par-boiled eggs, 2 chicken breasts, 2 black coffees, perrier
Snack - 11am | 2 sausages, black coffee, perrier
Lunch - 2pm | 16 oz beef tenderloin, 15 oz costco steamed vegetables w/olive oil, perrier
Snack - 5pm | 3 sausages, black coffee, perrier
Dinner - 9pm | 16 oz top sirloin, 15 oz costco steamed vegetables w/olive oil, perrier
Snack - 12pm | Large bowl of shank soup

Ok. Thats half of what you claimed in your last post. And I calculated it very rough so my numbers are likely to be too high. I'm pretty sure you were eating at 2500-3000 calories daily or you wouldn't have lost so much weight, even with crossfit every (other) day.

ei5nus.png

Above, Stephanos83 makes a fantastic point about calories in vs. calories out. It boils down to WHAT you eat, not HOW MUCH you eat in terms of the number of calories.

Sure it does. Nobody is arguing against that. I eat only high quality grass-fed/organic, no gluten etc myself. But high quality food doesnt make calories disappear completely.

You don't seem to understand that my problem is not with paleo, but with the number of calories you obviously pulled out of your a$$ (because you didnt track them). If you were eating 6-8000 calories you would have gained 50lbs instead of losing 20. Elite powerlifters eat 8000 calories at 300lbs, not 200lbs crossfitters. So lets keep the bullshit out ok?

Heres a funny pic so we can all be friends again:
14ue0k6.jpg

MHolland

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 26, 2013
Ok.

Its a concept in low-carb diets. You eat a bigger amount of carbs once a week to bring your leptin levels back up.

Ok. Thats half of what you claimed in your last post. And I calculated it very rough so my numbers are likely to be too high. I'm pretty sure you were eating at 2500-3000 calories daily or you wouldn't have lost so much weight, even with crossfit every (other) day.

ei5nus.png

Sure it does. Nobody is arguing against that. I eat only high quality grass-fed/organic, no gluten etc myself. But high quality food doesnt make calories disappear completely.

You don't seem to understand that my problem is not with paleo, but with the number of calories you obviously pulled out of your a$$ (because you didnt track them). If you were eating 6-8000 calories you would have gained 50lbs instead of losing 20. Elite powerlifters eat 8000 calories at 300lbs, not 200lbs crossfitters. So lets keep the bullshit out ok?

Heres a funny pic so we can all be friends again:
14ue0k6.jpg

Your generic calorie "valuation" is just that. Generic. From a generic website for generic users. It doesn't take into account the strips of beef fat that I consumed with my meals, which by the way, is absolutely delicious when partially broiled! To be clear, I did NOT eat lean. For me, this wasn't an attempted weight loss exercise, it was an experiment to to see what the Paleo hype was all about. The weight loss and health gains were merely a byproduct of my experiment. The sample log I included was a random entry from my journal. Some days I ate more, some days I ate less depending on how I felt.

All I can say is try it out for yourself. Eat strictly Paleo - no "refeeding". Just Paleo. And if you gain 50 lbs like you say you will, I'll send you a gift card for lyposuction.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Ok. Sorry. Obviously you are above biochemistry because you eat a paleo diet and do crossfit. Bye

MHolland

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 26, 2013
Ok. Sorry. Obviously you are above biochemistry because you eat a paleo diet and do crossfit. Bye

So I take it that you will go strictly Paleo for 6 weeks as an experiment? Isn't this what the Fastlane is all about, trial and error until you find what works best rather than sticking to textbook knowledge?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.