The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
So who of the locals or of the early arrivers will get the unsalted kerrygold butter supplies for the B&P event???

I land Thursday night so I hope somebody can get us our fix for Friday morning!!!

(and who brings a blender/magic bullet???)
I think I packed my IMMERSION BLENDER (sorry, I just can't call it a magic bullet. Sounds a tad racey, doesn't it?!).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
I'm actually cutting the bullet proof coffee out of my diet for a month, as well as most fruits (High sugar fruits). I read in the Bulletproof forum
I'd make sure to also read from other sources that fall under the Paleo umbrella outside of Bulletproof too. A quick google will find a variety of blogs, forums and sites

which he calls "upgraded paleo" (because its basically paleo foods but only the highest quality) combined with intermittent fasting and supplements.

Realise the term "upgraded paleo" is pure MARKETING.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I'm not really into the bulletproof besides the coffee. Read up on it, but read more Robb Wolf and been following mark sisson. Just downloaded another book too.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I have halted and have been reversing serious neurological problems with a "tight" budget with a philosophy that ties in with some of the ideas often discussed in "paleo" eating.
I'd make sure to also read from other sources that fall under the Paleo umbrella outside of Bulletproof too. A quick google will find a variety of blogs, forums and sites

I take you follow others... care to share examples?

I hope you don't mind sharing more, I really like to hear of success and lessons learned from others like you that have been there before.

What has been your experience with paleo and/or other versions of it?

How long have you been on this?

Are you doing IF (Intermittent Fasting)?

I think I packed my IMMERSION BLENDER (sorry, I just can't call it a magic bullet. Sounds a tad races, doesn't it?!).
I like the way you think ;)

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
I take you follow others... care to share examples?

I hope you don't mind sharing more, I really like to hear of success and lessons learned from others like you that have been there before.

What has been your experience with paleo and/or other versions of it?

How long have you been on this?

Are you doing IF (Intermittent Fasting)?

I was literally bedridden at one point and looking at trying to get into some sort of carehome for the rest of my life (was in my twenties). I started to take my body/condition in my own hands rather than just rely on medical experts and thats when things started to improve. I wrote about it here that may give you a better idea;
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fastlane/42295-wealth-success-story.html

It was sometime in 2011 that I heard about things/ideas related to what we term "paleo diet" which has played a major part in my "success"

I have experimented since. I've recovered quite a lot, though I'm not there yet.
I could probably write loads on this and bore everyone to death, but to keep it (relatively) succinct;

I haven't actually read much of Dave Asprey. I did come across him and there's definatly some good stuff there but my BS monitor couldn't handle it. But if he brings people to a better way of living, then all power to him.

Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson's sites are two of the most popular and are still solid starting points. There are others that have grown quite a following too and made some great idea contributions like "theperfecthealthdiet" (safe starches), Chris Kresser (fish oil) etc
When you're starting out, it can be good just to stick to simple tenants and then as Robb Wolf would say see "how you look, feel, perform." and build on those habits
After a while, it's about dialing in the diet to your requirements, experiences and goals.

Depending on how much time you have, you can spend more time reading other sources and stuff. There is literally 100s of sites blogs/forums, here's a couple of examples; Good Paleo blogs? - PaleoHacks.com 18 Underrated Primal/Paleo Blogs You Should Be Reading | Mark's Daily Apple

Once you get an idea of the basic ideas, you can find absolute gold in the comments section of articles, small blogs and things like paleo hacks. A quick way to get lots of opinions off people is to google what ever your issue/idea is with the term "paleo" added to the phrase. e.g. "high fat paleo tired mornings". So it becomes about individualising the advice more and more to you as you go on.

But at the same time don't feel it's necessary to spend loads of time reading up etc if you don't have the time. And especially when starting out. I go through phases. And did at one point, read and research a lot. But my condition was pretty extreme and is probably not necessary for 95% of people (the other 5% being those who are really ill or those trying to be elite athletes etc)

Each person has there own agenda (can be positive and/or negative) and this is NOT a stable, we know all the answers diet. (none are really). Also realise that it is a highly INDIVIDUALISED diet for those who stick to it.
I'm reluctant to say that as it can put people off, but its the truth. After you get into this you realise there is no magical set of rules that work for everyone. People are postulating based on scientific articles etc and real world experience and things that are recommended now may not be in the future. But this makes it even more respectable in my opinion. It's "best guess" work. -Even the more popular sites, so you want to start individualising the advice and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY (thats a skill though, that takes time to master too!)+leverage other people's experiences+studies in that area.
Some people who are used to dogmatic diets, just follow something without critical thought- (e.g. some eat extremely low carb when reading about paleo, which will work for some but can be the worst thing to do for them depending on lots of factors). So this can take time to learn
But there have been some powerful conclusions that work for a lot of people (e.g. diary/gluten/carb control etc) and thats a great springboard, as they effect many people.

So realise two people could eat two totally different diets and both call it "the paleo/primal diet", and both could be great for them. Two people could also eat identical "Paleo diets" and one could feel great on it, so tell their friend, but their friend not feel good with that particular interpretation of paleo.

Intermittent Fasting - I haven't ventured too much with this, as for my specific situation I wasn't keen on risking more stress on my body at that time. I might play with it in the future though. Lots have had success with different protocols around this

One other thing- pyschological - there's many good articles (just at mark sissons and robb wolfs blogs even) about the struggles around this. Food is addictive, and ingrained in our culture. It can be tough to change or people around you to understand.

Also for those not interested in this way of eating etc, or try it, don't like it and move on. Thats cool too. We have to find what works for us and what we're happy with. But from my experience this "philosophy" has been such a major player in changing my life so much. If it was 20 years ago (pre-internet) my life would be dramatically different to now.

I hope I'm not rambling and the above is of some use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
If anyone has wondered how the travelling cave(wo)man does it, here's what I do...

The night before I fly out (and I realize that very few others have the same ridiculous travel schedule that I do), I cook up 2 lbs of grass fed ground beef, 2 lbs of organic chicken tenders, and a dozen organic eggs. When I get to my destination, I buy organic spinach, asparagus, etc. But in a nutshell, I cook my protein in advance, fridge or freeze it, throw it in the carry-on, then keep it in the hotel-provided fridge.

Paleo in a bag.jpg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
If anyone has wondered how the travelling cave(wo)man does it, here's what I do...

The night before I fly out (and I realize that very few others have the same ridiculous travel schedule that I do), I cook up 2 lbs of grass fed ground beef, 2 lbs of organic chicken tenders, and a dozen organic eggs. When I get to my destination, I buy organic spinach, asparagus, etc. But in a nutshell, I cook my protein in advance, fridge or freeze it, throw it in the carry-on, then keep it in the hotel-provided fridge.

Genius!!! [[laughs with manically evil loud laugh]]

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Well, thank you dear. It's probably not all that genius. But I have fallen in love with dollar store, gallon-sized freezer zip-lock bags!! Jus sayin.

...but why are you awake at 4:45am??!!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Sleep quality has not been the best lately.

I never thought they would let you take frozen food thrulugh TSA's checkpoints.

Will do this next time I fly.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I've never had a problem with it. I think as long as it is identifiable...and not a liquid, you should be okay. I once had to explain that I'm on a rigid diet and have to pack my own food. Then again, I'm TSA Pre-approved (known traveller) which means that my security check-in is much easier that most. (I don't have to remove my shoes, jacket or computer, etc.)

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150971490289786&set=t.1228883750&type=3&theater

I have been eating this way for years. Never thought about putting a label on it. Besides from a few times I was injured over the past two years I have maintained this shape pretty much since high school. I'm 45 now. To do this cheaply:

1. Red kidney beans, corn, tomatoes and rotel chili tomatoes make an excellent gaspacho. Mix and chill. Drain the beans and corn first though. You can serve tis hot over a baked potato as well.
2. Baked potatoes: Put anything you want on them. Potatoes have the highest satiety rate of any food.
3. Tuna, High quality protein,
4. chicken leg quarters Cheap and decent protein
5. Salad, Any way you like, Add those cheeses, beans, and tomatoes.
6. Fruit , Whatever is in season. Berries are right now. Summer: peaches plums and nectarines and melon, Fall, apples and pears, winter citrus

I have been eating like this for years.
A picture says a thousand words.

I dont follow it strictly as I like pasta and bread but When I need to loose weight I avoid pasta, bread and sugar.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I've never had a problem with it. I think as long as it is identifiable...and not a liquid, you should be okay. I once had to explain that I'm on a rigid diet and have to pack my own food. Then again, I'm TSA Pre-approved (known traveller) which means that my security check-in is much easier that most. (I don't have to remove my shoes, jacket or computer, etc.)

Seems a no brainer for you. $100 well invested there! [$100 still the fee right?]

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
No. TSA Pre is free, but it's by invitation only. Global Entry (which allows you to bypass the lines in Customs) is $100 and is good for 5 years....and WELL worth it. Saves me 30 min to an hour every time I come back into the country.

But now we're a tad off topic! Sorry. Back to Paleo!

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I eat lots of eggs too!

Now for my vegetable chowder recipe

Three cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup prepared as on package.
two cans of corn. two cans of green beans, two cans of diced potatoes and two cans of peas all drained.
1 cup of shredded cheese of any flavor,
pepper to taste.

Mix well and simmer.

Edit: I like to add real butter as well but if you are worried about cholesterol skip it and it will still taste great.

Done and done.

Tetras

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Feb 15, 2013
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150971490289786&set=t.1228883750&type=3&theater

I have been eating this way for years. Never thought about putting a label on it. Besides from a few times I was injured over the past two years I have maintained this shape pretty much since high school. I'm 45 now. To do this cheaply:

1. Red kidney beans, corn, tomatoes and rotel chili tomatoes make an excellent gaspacho. Mix and chill. Drain the beans and corn first though. You can serve tis hot over a baked potato as well.
2. Baked potatoes: Put anything you want on them. Potatoes have the highest satiety rate of any food.
3. Tuna, High quality protein,
4. chicken leg quarters Cheap and decent protein
5. Salad, Any way you like, Add those cheeses, beans, and tomatoes.
6. Fruit , Whatever is in season. Berries are right now. Summer: peaches plums and nectarines and melon, Fall, apples and pears, winter citrus

I have been eating like this for years.
A picture says a thousand words.

I dont follow it strictly as I like pasta and bread but When I need to loose weight I avoid pasta, bread and sugar.

I eat lots of eggs too!

Now for my vegetable chowder recipe

Three cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup prepared as on package.
two cans of corn. two cans of green beans, two cans of diced potatoes and two cans of peas all drained.
1 cup of shredded cheese of any flavor,
pepper to taste.

Mix well and simmer.

Edit: I like to add real butter as well but if you are worried about cholesterol skip it and it will still taste great.

Done and done.

Your suggestion for beans is not Paleo, and neither is your chowder (cream of x contains wheat). They aren't unhealthy, but they're not Paleo.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Hi There Folks … and just wanted in to contribute to this great paleo thread

This is my personal view of what has worked for me as optimal nutrition for our bodies….Food and nourishment is contentious subject at the best of times…I liken it to religious beliefs in terms of the zeal by which people argue their beliefs with regards to what is a “proper diet “ or the “correct nutritionâ€..
If this thread is going to challenge what you believe is ‘good nutrition;’ then please bear with me this is what I have done personally : what works for me , what I have physically ,kinesthetically examined, looked over and been practicing diligently .

My belief Each person has to find their own answers ...I am posting this because I am passionate about optimal nutrition . To cut a long story short about my history and turning points in my life ..in my intro post on this forum at one stage…12 years ago I contracted “tubercular meningitis†in Indonesia and I basically went into a coma for a month..I was out bedridden and when I came back into consciousness I had to basically rebuild from scratch…build my physical strength, deal with nerve damage and train my muscles to weight bear after being bedridden for a month. I went from about 85 kgs down to 50 kgs..so l took my healing and nutrition very seriously. Safe to say I walked out of the hospital after a month , because I refused to believe anything else otherwise….You can imagine being given a second chance at life I take health very seriously… 

This is my pay it forward to this great forum…. I look at food as energy. You can liken in it to people ..some people add energy to you and some take energy away from you …same with food …If we are looking at a correct or optimal mindset: spirit, intellect down to physical realm .. food to me plays a crucial role.

My belief about food has been to question CONVENTIONAL WISDOM. Question everything ! and derive your own answers
I have embarked on this journey for a long time now…. and still does to this day …. Food is not about dieting to me is not about counting calories ,its not about calories in and calories out , proper nutrition to me has no shortcuts , it’s the mindset you have for optimal living ,longevity and vitality.
What I follow is an Ancestral or evolutionary diet , based on the hunter gatherers basically nothing processed or refined, in tune with nature, as we have done for thousands of years prior to the advent of agriculture and farming grains….. this way of eating is often called ’paleo’ ‘primal’ ..there is currently a huge ground swell with regards to this against the Standard American Diet , American Heart Association and the conventional wisdom we have been led to believe is ‘good’ for our health . I was a vegetarian , low fat guy for years and have been strictly paleo for about 2 years straight. Best I have felt ever in my life..hunger pangs subsided… I intermittent fast as well and I exercise regularly but no way as much as I used to before….

here are some links that resonate for me and might be of use to you …
:Great info graphic:
The PaleolithicDiet Infographic
Sarah Wilson
an Australian Media presenter has a great summary of her own take on it :
what is the paleo diet? (plus how I’m doing it) | Sarah Wilson

fitbomb: they have a great wrap up too :
FITBOMB: What Is The Paleo Diet?
Mark Sisson has a fantastic book called “ the primal blueprint “ amazing lifestyle design ,he talks about how we have also lost the element of play ; her is his website, with newbie faq’s, great website and the success stories are really inspiring :
Newbies Start Here: Primer to the Primal Blueprint Lifestyle | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
some inspiring stories:
Hypertension, Prediabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and 75 Pounds, All Gone in 6 Months | Mark's Daily Apple
no-mo...#axzz1zceSDT1ohttp://www.marksdailyapple.com/
Some food blog Resources, delicious! :
Nom nom Paleo, great recipes :
Paleo Recipes | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo
Robb wolf is another great resource, amazing guy : here is his quick start guide:
http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...QuickStart.pdf
Suggested 4 week shopping list :
http://www.crossfitxystum.com/docs/paleo-shopping.pdf

I saw a great documentary “the perfect human dietâ€
Its one man’s quest to discover what humans ideally should be eating , I won’t spoil it buts its aligned with : paleo!
Here is mark sisson talking about it
In Search of the Perfect Human Diet - Movie Review | Mark's Daily Apple

I hope this helps .. thanks:)

Arrabista

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Hi There Folks … and just wanted in to contribute to this great paleo thread
Arrabista
Thanks a lot for sharing. Great information.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Thanks a lot for sharing. Great information.

Hey Andviv my pleasure...

As a moderator I was hoping if you could tell me how i can remove my double post?? apologies for that !

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As a moderator I was hoping if you could tell me how i can remove my double post?? apologies for that !

Click "edit" on your post and there is a delete option.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Almost all fish of any kinds will contain mercury. The devil is in the amount.

You should serious limit the amount of fish you eat that are higher up in the food chain due to biomagnification.

Sardines? Eat an unlimited amount.

Shark? Rarely.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
You should serious limit the amount of fish you eat that are higher up in the food chain due to biomagnification.
Interesting fact. Any links you recommend to read about this?

Whenever I eat high-mercury fish like tune, I also take Activated Charcoal as a supplement.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
In another topic.... or factoid:

Yesterday ate approx 2,706 calories and lost 0.6 lbs.

Based on conventional wisdom, I should have gained like half a pound instead.

March-6.png

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I had a salad with seared ahi tonight. :)

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Great thread guys. I've started reading up on Paleo and it makes a lot of sense.

But...no peanut butter? :nonod: :smx8:

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
@Jake - Almond butter! Much tastier.

Kak --- how's the diet going??

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Forgive me, Sal-eo, for I have sinned.

I had two burgers today. And I ate the bread in both cases.

I need no punishment, feeling like crap is punishment enough. Bleh.

In a more positive news, only six pounds to go for my 'ideal' weight. Time to work now on gainning lean mass.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
I can't say that I've committed to eating 100% Paleo, but I have not eaten a single packaged good that has grains since B&P. Eaten dozens of hard boiled eggs though. I've also taken Omega-3 vitamins each day. I have eaten a few burritos and drank Sugar Free Red Bulls, which I know isn't Paleo, but being on this schedule I realize how many foods are actually processed. Weight loss wasn't my goal for trying this, it was more about energy. Over the past few days, I have had a very consistent energy level regardless of whether it is morning or night, motivated or not. I still don't know if it's the cause, but I feel really good about it.

Thanks Sal and Andres for the kickstart :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.