The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
To be honest I never measured my food on the bulletproof diet until now. I just drank my coffee and ate only one very fatty meal at around 5pm (many times the "paleo chili" you suggested, tastes awesome!), with about 300g of ground beef, nothing else.

But I might measure and calculate the macros for a few of my typical meals to get a better feel for and possibly optimize it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
(many times the "paleo chili" you suggested, tastes awesome!)

Thanks!!! I just made a few additions to it tonight. I added sweet potatoes, a half can of pumpkin puree, and chunks of lean beef. It came out even better!

I added the sweet potatoes because of my intense crossfit training, I was starting to lose some muscle. I want to keep as much size as possible, and I think I can do that with extra carbs on my heavy workout days. I'll keep you updated on how its working.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
On Sunday morning I went down to 161.0 so I celebrated by eating like a pig all day long. Went back up to 162.6 and this morning was down again to 161.2 so the damage seems to have been corrected (I keep reading similar stories by others where the weight goes up the day after a refeed and then it is lost again a day or two after).

I also seem to be eating too much protein and need to lower the amounts so I can lose faster. It seems a pound of grass-fed beef a day is too much. I continue drinking the bulletproof coffee.

I've been thinking of cooking my own chili so I will play with it in the next few days to get one I like. As I am still targeting fat loss, I probably be very low on carbs other than veggies.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Hey Andviv - What's your goal weight and how tall are you?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I am 5'7"

My ideal weight is supposed to be around 155.

But...

I got a Dexa scanning done last week.

Previously, with the bio-impedance body fat monitor I registered around 20-22% body fat.

With the more accurate Dexa scan I got 32%.

I forgot to bring here the results from the scan, they were really interesting.

In summary, my feeling is that I got a skinny-fat constitution and need to drop probably 20 lbs of fat and replace them with muscle.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
That's what I think. You need to stop doing those insanity workouts, and start lifting some weights. Look into crossfit. It's a lot of power lifting moves, which get you bigger and stronger, along with an intense workout art the end (kinda like insanity - but usually with weight). I feel that you can definitely lose weight doing insanity, but your not going to really tone up or gain muscle. Before you know it, a high wind is going to pick you up and send you flying down the street. lol

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
You need to stop doing those insanity workouts, and start lifting some weights.
Yes, I've been thinking a lot about this lately.

The more research, the more indication that I may need to tweak it and go for weight-lifting first.

See, my concern was to start a program like crossfit while being completely out of shape (ala Killing the Fat Man videos on youtube). I felt I would get more progress if I improved my fitness level first with insanity and cut fat, and then after it go for bulking up with a weight lifting program.

Now, seeing what's going on and the results, I am 50%-50% about staying the course with Insanity and complete the 5.5 weeks left, or not waste more time with it and move to crossfit (or even more reduced, the Body by Science by Doug McGuff, just once a week for less than 15 mins).

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I was never a believer in Insanity or p90X, unless your goal is to just lose wight, and only lose weight. It definitely works for that. I must admit though, I do like P90x's Yoga and Ab workouts. I do the yoga twice a week.

Steve37

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Sep 4, 2012
You need to stop doing those insanity workouts, and start lifting some weights.

Agreed. A lifting regimen is the gift that keeps on giving. The more muscle you build the higher your basal metabolic rate will be. It's essentially the same concept as generating passive income, except it's passive calorie burn. Lifting weights and dietary adjustments should really be step #1 for anyone looking to get in shape. Certainly nothing wrong with mixing insanity workouts in on off days.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I am 5'7"

My ideal weight is supposed to be around 155.

I'm the same height. I'm 146-147 right now, and my goal weight is 140. Sometimes those ideal weight charts are way off, and don't take into account body structure, muscle mass, etc.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
No offense, but where's the muscle mass when you're at 140 with 5'7"?
I'm 5'9" and I was skinny as F*ck at 155, now at 165 with 12% bodyfat or are you going for supershredded look? Like bodyfat below 10%? Just wondering.

On a general note: When I was losing weight, I first got to a really low bf% like 10 and then started exercising. I find it helps a ton as you can see the progress way better than with 15% or higher. Also you can counterreact earlier in case you mess up your diet and gain fat.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm the same height. I'm 146-147 right now, and my goal weight is 140. Sometimes those ideal weight charts are way off, and don't take into account body structure, muscle mass, etc.
You are correct. From Healthstatus.com:

Results:
According to your height of 5' 7" your ideal healthy weight is 143 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 127 and 159 pounds.

This was calculated using Hamwi formula, a simple formula commonly used by many clinicians.

These are recommended weights. Talk with your doctor about what weight is best for you and before undertaking any new diet or exercise programs.

But I found out I would look sick if I ever get to that weight and my current constitution. I will settle for a 155 look as if I were not dying of a weird chronic condition.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
On a general note: When I was losing weight, I first got to a really low bf% like 10 and then started exercising. I find it helps a ton as you can see the progress way better than with 15% or higher. Also you can counterreact earlier in case you mess up your diet and gain fat.
That was the same plan I had and that is why I went for Insanity as a workout routine.

What did you do to go to such low bf%? What was your bf% when you started this?

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
That was the same plan I had and that is why I went for Insanity as a workout routine.

What did you do to go to such low bf%? What was your bf% when you started this?

Here's what I did:

Calculate my protein intake, dependent on bf% and level of activity

I was 82 kilos when I started, 25% bf

82 x 25% = 20,5 fat mass

82 - 20,5 = 61,5 lean body mass (LBM)

25% bf puts me in category 2, so I multiply my LBM with 2 = 123 g of protein/day. If you don't do any exercise, like I did, leave this value as it is, light exercise increase 10-20%, heavy exercise 20-50%

So, I just bought chicken breast, pork, basically any lean meat I could get and just ate that. 100 gr of chicken breast has around 20 gr of protein, so 600 gr/day and you're done.

I also could eat any amount of vegetable I'd like broccoli, cali flowers, tomatoes, salad etc, except the ones with high carbs. I rarely did this, because I was so full after all the meat I ate.

I then supplemented fish oil capsules, a multivitamin like Orange Triad, magnesium, kalium, calcium. I drank a gallon of water/day.

Protein has around 4 kcal/g, carbs aswell.

So the protein alone put me at 540 kcal, around 80 from the fish oil, overall I basically never went above 700 or 800 kcal per day. Maintenance is ~2000 kcal which put me at an daily deficit of 1200. A kilo of fat has around 7000 calories, so statistically each 5,x days you lose 1 kilo of fat.

I did this for 6 weeks and went from 82 to to around 72. Then did another shorter cycle.

I can really recommend getting this: The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook by Lyle McDonald | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

It has everything in much greater detail, with a lot of scientific proof and whatnot and it worked great for me. I know that some people are against crash diets, but this is as controlled as it can get IMO and I'm not the kind of guy to wait a month to lose a kilo of fat. I also recommend thinking about your long term diet, otherwise the weight loss is lost as fast as it came.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
No offense, but where's the muscle mass when you're at 140 with 5'7"?
I'm 5'9" and I was skinny as F*ck at 155, now at 165 with 12% bodyfat or are you going for supershredded look? Like bodyfat below 10%? Just wondering.

Me at 140.

Attachments

• abs.jpg
    abs.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 141
  • bestabs.jpg
    bestabs.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 138
  • bicep.jpg
    bicep.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 142
  • decent.jpg
    decent.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 151
  • decent2.jpg
    decent2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 143
  • decentb.jpg
    decentb.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 139
  • newer.jpg
    newer.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 141
  • newer2.jpg
    newer2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 139
  • sideshot.jpg
    sideshot.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 145
  • vid3.jpg
    vid3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 140

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Edit: Sorry for the large number of pics. Thought they'd come up as thumbnails or something.

And no, I'm not bristling with Muscle...I could probably gain a solid 5-10 lbs of muscle.

MsTesa0130

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 7, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I started the Paleo diet a week ago. The first few days were hard, but it is definately getting easier. My only problem is if I want a snack fruits are not an option for me because I am allergic to basically all fruits! (I can have pineapple & apples) anyone have paleo snack ideas that do not include fruit?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
nyone have paleo snack ideas that do not include fruit?
What about veggies?

I have been eating half a pepper. Yup, sweet, delicious red pepper.

Also, green tea has helped me tons.

Almonds and some nuts (pistachio) are good ideas also, but go easy on them, they are too dense (lots of cals).

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
My paleo snacks:

85 or 90% dark chocolate (ok... it's not 100% paleo, but it's close!!)
pork rinds
macademia nuts (YUM)

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Don't know much about the modern Paleo diet, but do they recommend killing the animals, skinning them out, and cooking them? If you buy it at the store that's not Paleo lol. Gut the animal on a frosty morning, quarter it up yourself, butcher it, and cook it later.

Field to table is Paleo.

I got lazy though....subway is so much easier.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Gut the animal on a frosty morning, quarter it up yourself, butcher it, and cook it later.

I definitely see your point, but I'm not sure I've got the stomach for it. I would probably starve in a world where I had to get my food like that.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I definitely see your point, but I'm not sure I've got the stomach for it. I would probably starve in a world where I had to get my food like that.

Well...you still got fish, nuts, and all the greens at least. It happens today, its just easier for most people today to buy their food at the store, instead of seeing where their food really comes from. The best diet is to take a person out to a processing plant once a month and show them where there food really comes from :D

MsTesa0130

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 7, 2012
Staten Island, NY
veggies is a good idea, I am allergic to some veggies but not as bad as fruit, allergic to some nuts as well! Green tea sounds like a good idea thank you! and yea I loveeee my dark chocolate lol

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Almost immediately when I got started with this I also started incorporating the Intermittent Fasting (IF) concept.

I am not sure if it is the Paleo, the IF, or the combination of both, but I am still losing weight and feel good.

I am still adjusting my diet, I had to reduce the amount of protein I was taking, and will need to adjust the amount of carbs, as I have not been really counting them so I don't know if I am at 50, 100, 150 or 200 grams a day. For what I understand, this is what greatly affects the weight loss process.

For example, I went from 160.6 to 160.2 from yesterday. Just 0.4 lbs lost in one day, but I am having multiple days like this in a row.

I think I am 90% convinced of stopping my current fitness routine and switch to the Body by Science routine, and try that for a couple of months, tracking progress to compare results.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Our Crossfit group is doing the "closing ceremony" to the 30 day challenge on Saturday, I'll post results after that. I'm hooked simply based on how I've felt, but it will be interesting to see how much, if any, measurable physical changes transpired over the last 30 days.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Our Crossfit group is doing the "closing ceremony" to the 30 day challenge on Saturday, I'll post results after that. I'm hooked simply based on how I've felt, but it will be interesting to see how much, if any, measurable physical changes transpired over the last 30 days.
Cool.

I guess you guys got measured the day the challenge started, right? What metrics were recorded?

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I guess you guys got measured the day the challenge started, right? What metrics were recorded?

Yes & for me, just weight & random measuring of waist, arms, legs, hips, chest, etc, etc... They had a body-fat scale but the guy who owns the gym was like, this thing is all over the map & unreliable, so I didn't even bother. Plus, I really didn't care, I was doing this challenge for the hopes of feeling better as opposed to physical betterment. I think I've got both out of it...

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Question for those on Paleo and IF.

I feel light headed in the morning without food, after I drink Coffee with butter. Does anyone else feel this way?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Question for those on Paleo and IF.

I feel light headed in the morning without food, after I drink Coffee with butter. Does anyone else feel this way?

No, never had that. I guess your body has to adjust to the high amount of fat. For how long are you doing it this way?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.