The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

infinitus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Sep 22, 2012
Perth Western Australia
I eat mainly raw food, avoid grains and cooked food, and have lots of green healthy shakes all day and feel awesome.....tons more energy than ever before and cant vouch for it enough.....its definitely worthwhile at least testing out for yourself just to see the changes in energy and health

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I can't say that I've committed to eating 100% Paleo, but I have not eaten a single packaged good that has grains since B&P. Eaten dozens of hard boiled eggs though. I've also taken Omega-3 vitamins each day. I have eaten a few burritos and drank Sugar Free Red Bulls, which I know isn't Paleo, but being on this schedule I realize how many foods are actually processed. Weight loss wasn't my goal for trying this, it was more about energy. Over the past few days, I have had a very consistent energy level regardless of whether it is morning or night, motivated or not. I still don't know if it's the cause, but I feel really good about it.

Thanks Sal and Andres for the kickstart

Don't forget Vitamin D3 and Probiotics. Very important. How has the last week gone?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Don't forget Vitamin D3 and Probiotics. Very important. How has the last week gone?

I'll look into those. I still need to make time to read a book so I have a better understanding. It has been pretty consistent. I'm falling asleep and waking up easier, and other than a couple of 15 naps during the day, I've felt better on many levels. What form of D3 and probiotics do you take?

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have been a much happier person since I divorced grains. I do eat potatoes still, I know many paleo eaters do not. I want the higher carb count, so I eat them almost everyday. I can't believe how much better I feel. I did low-carb for a really long time then back to a low fat diet, full of grains. It really irritated my auto-immune condition. Once I got rid of them, I felt almost immediately better.

Sue

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I love this thread... seriously, I've never heard anyone complain that they don't feel better physically on Paleo.

I have lost 15 pounds in the past two months, which I am really excited about. It's the second time I've experienced a really good weight loss on the diet, but this time I am starting to add exercise into the mix. I've never been in REALLY good shape, and that's my goal this year.

To get to an ultra-toned, lean weight, I could probably lost another 20 pounds. Yikes!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

ilonak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 15, 2013
New York, NY
Hello Everyone!

I was reading these posts and wanted to post as well.

I have never been personally on the paleo diet or any "diet".

To me, it's a "lifestyle" to eat a certain way and once you say it's a lifestyle
the stigma attached to the word "diet" goes away. At least that is what I think..

I compete in fitness competitions for about 5-6 months out of a year and when
I do, I cook all my food and eat 6 times a day. I feel amazing and look that way too ;)

I do eat carbs, but I restrict it to brown rice, sweet potatoes and gluten-free pasta.
I need the carbs for energy, since I work out alot during those times.

Most of my diet consists of protein and vegetables too though. What I do, is
cook a whole bunch of chicken, for instance on a Sunday and then just take it
out of the freezer the day before to let it thaw it. It becomes routine after awhile...

Its really a choice you have to make.... When I am "off" season, I do go out and eat
in restaurants and yes I do sometimes eat Chocolate :) But in moderation of course...

When I do fly for shows, I always freeze my food in zip lock bags, as Jill suggested above
which is what I do too :)

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to reply :)

Thanks!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to reply
How long you been doing this? Body fat %? Age? (metabolism matters. a lot).

I am getting to the point where I don't want to lose any more weight and focus on gaining lean mass, and I am clueless about this part of the lifestyle (although I keep being directed towards Cross fit, not sure if it is just the latest fad or just the right thing that will stay here for good).

ilonak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 15, 2013
New York, NY
Hello! Well I'm 41 years young and my body fat% hovers between 18-22% usually. I don't want to get too lean,
for my division, I am still supposed to have some curves to me!
I actually was always on the skinny side so building mass was tough, it takes awhile to build muscle. It took
me about 2 years and I am still working on it! What I do is lift heavy, and change up the types of weight lifting
I do to shock the body a bit so that it doesn't get used to a routine otherwise the body won't change... crossfit is basically the
same idea... Hope that helps :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I do to shock the body a bit so that it doesn't get used to a routine otherwise the body won't change... crossfit is basically the same idea... Hope that helps
Yes, it does help. Thank you.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
I have been a much happier person since I divorced grains. I do eat potatoes still, I know many paleo eaters do not. I want the higher carb count, so I eat them almost everyday.

The mainstream "paleo" argument was to replace them with other tubers like Sweet Potatos. But I'm like you, and will have potatoes. I actually seem to run better eating them (if I'm having more carbs) than the Sweet versions (which I seem to react to). It's all about adapting it to you which I love

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I have a vacuum pack setup. Works great to buy bulk chicken/steak/fish and mix up a little marinade and freeze them into portions. Just take out a couple at a time and they are ready to go and all marinated. If I make eating good food convenient, I am more likely to eat it. You can pack a months worth of proteins in probably a little over an hour.

A auto rice cooker is also invaluable for set it and forget it convenience for brown rice or quinoa. It also has a top tray to throw a few veggies in to be steamed.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Paleo thread comandment number 1 - "thou shalt not talk about grains of any sort, in a positive manner. All grains are the Devil!"

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
It works really well if you don't have a very active life and are overweighted and want to lose bodyfat.

For people like me (i train 5 - 6 days a week), carbs become more and more important. The way to get carbs, for me, is by lots of vegetables and fruits. Indeed, no bread. No white flower. You need to be aware of what fruits you are taking. Search for the GI in fruits.
The biggest problem for most people is they compensate with too much protein and too much fat. People overestimate how much protein they need. So, let's say a normal diet is 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat.
You cut down your carbs.. Maybe even to as low as 10%. That means you are now 60% ..which is 40% less then what you need.
So, yeah. It's not that weird that you lose weight fast. You have a caloric deficit, and thats all you need to lose fat (big generalization). If you need 2700cal on maintenance level (that's me, I need 2700), and you eat 2000 cal. You will lose weight. No matter if you have some bread in the morning.

Now, the problem. So, you cut carbs down to 10%. You can't get your protein too high. You can't decide to have 70% protein. Same with fat. So, how are you going to give your body what it needs? Well, you can eat a shit ton of vegetables and fruits. But, you would be shocked how much vegetables and fruits you need to get to a maintenance level. Very hard to accomplish. Most people don't really eat to like brocolli at 12 o clock in the afternoon, and then again some vegetables at 14.00.

Then we have a protein challenge. Because hey, the easiest way to get lots of protein is to either take a protein supplement ( = 90gr protein), and ofcourse you can take lots of dairy. But both are not ideal to take too much of it. I take my protein shake in the morning, and 1 after training. I take one diary product at night, to get some slow protein so I can recover more during sleep.
So, you need to buy lots of fish, meat.. and other protein sources.

To eat low carb the right way, you probably need to have a good running fastlane business. It will cost a lot of money.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Most people don't really eat to like brocolli at 12 o clock in the afternoon, and then again some vegetables at 14.00.

On Paleo, you get used to adding vegetables at all hours of the day. I am pretty sure that there are days where I am over 100 carbs on Paleo; especially if it is a day where I am heavy on nuts and raisins or something. It's tough to get that high on carbs, but you could do it.

For people like me (i train 5 - 6 days a week), carbs become more and more important. The way to get carbs, for me, is by lots of vegetables and fruits. Indeed, no bread. No white flower. You need to be aware of what fruits you are taking.

There are TONS of people that do Paleo and workout like champs. You just have to make sure that you get enough protein and fat to use as energy.

It works really well if you don't have a very active life and are overweighted and want to lose bodyfat.

It works for me, and I'm not overweight, though I would like to get down to the lower range of weight for my height. Most people, even me, who do Paleo do it for the health benefits, and get weight maintenance or loss as an extra benefit.

So, you need to buy lots of fish, meat.. and other protein sources.

Yup, and don't forget eggs!

To eat low carb the right way, you probably need to have a good running fastlane business. It will cost a lot of money.

I would respectfully disagree. Yes, if you buy grass fed beef and free range eggs, organic product, etc, it could get pricey, but you can do Paleo without spending a lot of money. I buy 100% of my Paleo food at Aldi and don't spend much at all. I've found that by cutting out all of the junk from my diet, I probably save money. Plus, I think I actually eat less overall, than I used to.

I know that you work out most days, and I don't, and that I would need to eat more if I were training regularly, but I still think it's very feasible for someone who really wanted to try it on a budget.

As an aside, I have worked out much more on paleo in the past and did fine. I never felt like I didn't have enough energy. I think I'm going to start a new training program in a few weeks. Yay!!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
There are TONS of people that do Paleo and workout like champs. You just have to make sure that you get enough protein and fat to use as energy.

Exactly. I do crossfit everyday, which is as intense as a workout you can possibly get. I did 3 workouts this week that were killer. Regular gym buddies think I'm nuts. Ad I did it all on an empty stomach (IF), just 5g of bcaa's before. I sub in some sweet potatoes on heavy workout days. I get most of my carbs from veggies. I eat some fruit, but not much. Mostly berries. Almost all my energy is from fat. And trust me, I have TONS of energy now. More than I've ever had in my life. I feel like a teenager again.

It works very well no matter where your at. It's not about losing weight. It's more about the effect it has on your body. No more aches and pains, tons of energy, skin is much clearer, no upset stomachs, I rarely get sick, I power through my workouts. The list goes on and on. That's such an inaccurate statement.

That's another completely false statement that most people use as an excuse, and that just what it is - an excuse. I've spent less now than I've ever had since I've been on my own (about 12 years). You don't realize how much you save by cutting out all the shit. The only thing I spend more money on is meat. The money I make up on the other end, outweighs the cost of the meat by A LOT.

There's also a major difference between dieting to lose weight, and eating healthy. Yea, I can lose weight by eating bread. I've done it so many times in the past. It's not about losing weight. It's about what's happening to your body when you eat bread, or any grain. There are many people who my friend and I refer to as 'Skinny Fat'. They appear healthy on the outside. Good genes, or metabolism. They look like their in great shape. But if you look at everything else that's going on inside their body, the truth is that it's complete opposite. My wife, or ex-wife, is the perfect example.

Do a little research on paleo, and you will probably change your opinions.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Back on paleo now after I slacked off for a few weeks after my injury.. Immediately feeling better.. Just pissed that I couldn't work out for the last 6 weeks and it will still take some more time to heal properly.. Really sucks..

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Egg Purchasing Guide | Mark's Daily Apple

Info on eggs, note there is a lot of playing fast and loose w/ various terms free range, cage free, organic etc... Even if labeled organic, good luck w/ that. I've been in the food mfg industry and know tremendous stretches of terms even in kosher designations. If you have enough marketing money, nearly anything can be deemed kosher. heheh.

Unfortunately, you are probably wasting your money unless you visit local farms to verify legit stuff. That goes for beef, chicken, eggs, etc...

free range: fantasy
logo_free_range_eggs04cake_dublin.jpg

reality:

Cage-free-chickens.jpg

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I understand what you are saying. I do visit the farm where I get my milk, eggs and meat. We can even scare the hens running after them, but the owner did not seem amused for whatever reason. Me and my kids found it funny --yep, those clueless city people, I'm telling ya!

I pay the extra dollar per pound of meat cause I know where it is going to and I notice the quality of what I am getting. I guess I am lucky that way --and crazy enough to drive 30 minutes to do my weekly paleo shopping.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I understand what you are saying. I do visit the farm where I get my milk, eggs and meat. We can even scare the hens running after them, but the owner did not seem amused for whatever reason. Me and my kids found it funny --yep, those clueless city people, I'm telling ya!

I pay the extra dollar per pound of meat cause I know where it is going to and I notice the quality of what I am getting. I guess I am lucky that way --and crazy enough to drive 30 minutes to do my weekly paleo shopping.

Finally found a few places to get my eggs.There are a bunch of places near Likwid Concepts headquarters in NJ. :D

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Finally found a few places to get my eggs.There are a bunch of places near Likwid Concepts headquarters in NJ.
so it WAS you chasing the hens all over NJ last weekend. I knew it!

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I'm almost at the 90 day & feeling well. Aside from Almond Hershey Kisses as my snack cheat, all has been well, LOL. Still trying to get into the original Crossfit gym to be weighed & measured to be able to post results. I'll make sure & update here when I do.

Keep going everyone, it's great reading about results & everyone improving their lives. Makes me smile. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.