The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Exactly. I do crossfit everyday, which is as intense as a workout you can possibly get. I did 3 workouts this week that were killer. Regular gym buddies think I'm nuts. Ad I did it all on an empty stomach (IF), just 5g of bcaa's before. I sub in some sweet potatoes on heavy workout days. I get most of my carbs from veggies. I eat some fruit, but not much. Mostly berries. Almost all my energy is from fat. And trust me, I have TONS of energy now. More than I've ever had in my life. I feel like a teenager again.

It works very well no matter where your at. It's not about losing weight. It's more about the effect it has on your body. No more aches and pains, tons of energy, skin is much clearer, no upset stomachs, I rarely get sick, I power through my workouts. The list goes on and on. That's such an inaccurate statement.

That's another completely false statement that most people use as an excuse, and that just what it is - an excuse. I've spent less now than I've ever had since I've been on my own (about 12 years). You don't realize how much you save by cutting out all the shit. The only thing I spend more money on is meat. The money I make up on the other end, outweighs the cost of the meat by A LOT.

There's also a major difference between dieting to lose weight, and eating healthy. Yea, I can lose weight by eating bread. I've done it so many times in the past. It's not about losing weight. It's about what's happening to your body when you eat bread, or any grain. There are many people who my friend and I refer to as 'Skinny Fat'. They appear healthy on the outside. Good genes, or metabolism. They look like their in great shape. But if you look at everything else that's going on inside their body, the truth is that it's complete opposite. My wife, or ex-wife, is the perfect example.

Do a little research on paleo, and you will probably change your opinions.

Hey Likwid 24 Awesome response...I was gonna reply to him but you have already echoed my sentiments!
I agree with you 100 %. I have been on paleo/primal for over 2 years now. Best I have ever felt period.
My blood work is great and the biggest shift I can feel is the sustained enregy , the feeling of being satatiated...agree 100 percent its a lifestyle choice not a diet....and powering your system on FAT not sugar....
Look at what your are achieving by being powered on fat in the paint brush cover world! lol

Biggest mindshift for most ( besides ditching the grains...) is to accept FAT back into their diet and not fear it because of the years and years of indoctrination regarding this and all the associations that it is bad for you , utter rubbish....to anyone who is contemplating changing their diet i would say question conventional wisdom.... have an open mind and TRY IT FOR YOURSELF and see how you feel ..try it for 30 days and compare how you feel ....I am more than happy to answer any questions and contribute further to this awesome thread.
Optimal nutrition for me is crucial to having a healthy mind and body that will enable me to get to where I want to get in the Fastlane .. :) thanks again

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Makes some sense, hunger is driven by lack of calories(probably more rare), and lack of nutrition(more common). And lack of water. Many people mistake thirst for hunger. Drink water and eat nutrient dense food and your hunger drops like a rock.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
For you NY'ers

NYC Area: Had Success with the Paleo Diet? | The Dr. Oz Show

Kettlebell Kitchen - Paleo. Delivered.

One of the main arguments of the paleo crowd has said that humans were not designed to eat grains. They point to the modern onslaught of cancers, heart disease and diabetes. After reading several Paleo books beginning with Cordain over the years, I have come to the conclusion that daily grains are not all that bad, when eaten as a condiment or relatively small part of your diet. My own conclusion about all of this disease is more based on the amount of sugars we eat in nearly everything, I mean, look at the difference between traditional European wines and American wines, or the wines we drink in the US. They are basically all sugar, they add heaping mounds of sugar to each barrel. As a country we have been conditioned by food companies to develop a sweet tooth, which is just a result of food companies simply trying to sell more food. So in short, managing your sugar intake by cutting out the main culprits, soda drinks, junk food, heavy starches, cereals, etc etc.

Start here - the Paleo Podcast Podcast

Or here - Art De Vany on Line - Results

Personally I eat mostly paleo, and eat Lunch and Dinner. I skip breakfast because its overkill, and I like to feel hungry now again. Anyone who tells you not to skip breakfast is unwittingly purporting a myth started by General Mills and Kelloggs to insist that their cereal healthy. Its candy marketing people. Also, for training I have done Crossfit since 2006, was a founding member of crossfitnyc the first crossfit box in nyc, a crossfit level 1 trainer, former USSA ski and snowboard instructor, high level competitive amateur cyclist. I have done nearly every diet, but Zone and Paleo are usually the two best. For training now I am weightlifting 3x p week.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I'm trying to figure out what is going to work best for me. I've been eating slow-carb ("Intro-to-Paleo", since it allows for beans/lentils) for over 2 years to great success. But having totally plateau'd over the past 6 months, I'm trying to shake it up. So I've tried variations of straight Paleo, Cyclical Ketogenic, Adkins, Bulletproof and Paleo with IF. I'm trying to reconcile what variation will work best with my new CrossFit workout, with the primary goal to lose fat. (I already have more lean mass than most chicks with desk jobs.)

Any input from you veterans? Bear in mind that women and men have different physiology (in case you hadn't noticed). So what works well for you guys may not have the same effect on me. Know of any chick's who have successfully figured out a plan with similar goals?

I'm open to trying anything.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I'm trying to figure out what is going to work best for me. I've been eating slow-carb ("Intro-to-Paleo", since it allows for beans/lentils) for over 2 years to great success. But having totally plateau'd over the past 6 months, I'm trying to shake it up. So I've tried variations of straight Paleo, Cyclical Ketogenic, Adkins, Bulletproof and Paleo with IF. I'm trying to reconcile what variation will work best with my new CrossFit workout, with the primary goal to lose fat. (I already have more lean mass than most chicks with desk jobs.)

Any input from you veterans? Bear in mind that women and men have different physiology (in case you hadn't noticed). So what works well for you guys may not have the same effect on me. Know of any chick's who have successfully figured out a plan with similar goals?

I'm open to trying anything.

I would be careful trying to lose fat along with doing Crossfit workouts. Crossfit is technically designed to be 5-6x per week, their 3 on 1 day off model. Calorie restriction and all out crossfit is a recipe for severe adrenal burnout unless you are absolutely controlled with something like a weight and measure Zone diet. I see a lot of perfectly healthy people stay 20lbs over weight in perpetuity while doing lots of crossfit because that level of intensity, so often, will not allow you to lose any weight. How would Michael Phelps do in the pool without eating anything? Same concept, if you go hard with Crossfit you actually need to eat more to meet the demands you are putting on your body, if you are looking for performance gains.

If you are just a little puffy around the edges, I would recommend losing that fat easily first through a calorie restricted diet and light-moderate exercise a few days a week. Intense frequent exercise will keep you puffy.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Hmmm... That's what I HAVE been doing...

...which is why I think adding HIIT will help me break through the plateau. I thot CKD would be the best compliment, since it affords the carb reload.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
Hmmm... That's what I HAVE been doing...

...which is why I think adding HIIT will help me break through the plateau. I thot CKD would be the best compliment, since it affords the carb reload.

If you can hold it together, a full on strict weigh and measure Zone Diet is typically the best scenario if you are wodding 5-6x per week, or even less. Once you get going you can tinker the macro's to find your sweet spot, increasing the fat is usually a good place to start if you are running on empty. Have you tried Zone?

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Have you tried Zone?
No. I've been afraid to add in the carbs mid-week. Likwid doesn't seem to have any problems just using fat for energy for CF. That was my plan. I wish someone could just prescribe for me a fool-proof regimen. But as we all know, there are so many variables in our individual biochemistries, I'm afraid it's just a matter of experimenting and tweaking until we all figure out what works out best for us. In the meantime, I'll be getting stronger and fitter, and eventually that will (hopefully) show up on the outside.

I recently read a blogpost that said (paraphrased) "once you have a 3-minute Fran. You'll have a 3-min Fran body!" I.e. "Do the work, the aesthetics will follow."

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I wish someone could just prescribe for me a fool-proof regimen.

In the meantime, I'll be getting stronger and fitter, and eventually that will (hopefully) show up on the outside.

I recently read a blogpost that said (paraphrased) "once you have a 3-minute Fran. You'll have a 3-min Fran body!" I.e. "Do the work, the aesthetics will follow."

I like where your head is at, but you definitely dont need a 3 minute fran to have a nice body. truth be told, the guys that do that are typically former elite athletes, or near it, most pro athletes who try crossfit dont even come close to that. I know lots of people with 5, 7 even 10 minute fran times who have smoking hot bodies. "just do the work" is very misleading, and unless you read something in the crossfit journal, be wary, there are a lot of internet coaches these days with misleading advice. I would hate to see another highly motivated person do an insane amount of work and not see it pay off at that beach.

You want a prescription? You hear about all these diets, but truthfully, if you read the Zone, and follow it strictly, you will likely achieve your goals. The problem with Paleo is that its broad, you almost have to create your own version. The Zone has worked for me and several elite crossfitters. I can litterally send you a meal plan I got from a top level Crossfit coach and Crossfit Games athlete, who literally just had me doing the Zone.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
Thanks, Puck. I'd appreciate that!

Start here by reading this - CFJ Issue 21: Zone Meal Plans by Greg Glassman - CrossFit Journal

Go and read Enter the Zone - Barry Sears

Here is my meal plan, you will have your own block prescription based on your size. You can easily find it in the link I sent above, and really, it has all you need to get started. Keep in mind this was a performance based meal plan based on athletic performance. You would likely eat less with less exertion.

First priority: decrease cortisol levels by increasing daily sleep to 8.5hrs. This can include naps during the day, so if you fall short overnight, add the nap later in the day. If this is a problem because of family conflicts, institute family nap times - you're wife and daughter are entitled to this as much as you are. This should be a larger priority than Jimmy Fallon.

Second priority: revisit the Zone proportions to support lean body mass, but not to support body fat. By analyzing your numbers, I calculated you at 166.1#LBM and 38.9#BF. This puts you at ~17 blocks/day with an activity factor that takes into account a 3on/1off CF schedule. Follow these rules if possible:
1. Breakfast/lunch/dinner: 4PRO/4FAT/unlimited veggies
2. Pre/post workout snack: 3PRO/4CHO/0FAT. 21g of PRO powder is 3blocks. Pick a coconut water/juice that has ~36g CHO per can. You can choose to drink your PWO snack before/after/during workout, but within a 30minute window (before/after).
3. Continue to have 5 meals/day: B/L/D, PWO, before bed snack (2PRO/2FAT/unlimited veggies).
4. Limit your daily coffee to 1 20oz coffee w/ heavy whipping cream AND 1 20oz decaf w/ heavy whipping cream. If you're having a particularly rough day, add one more decaf.
5. Eat more meat and eggs! Saturated fats from animal PRO boost testosterone. We're trying to restore the testosterone/cortisone ratio, so block out more sources of animal protein.

Third priority: have a cheat meal every Saturday night from 8-10pm. Limit it to these hours, as this will put a cap on the damage you can do, yet still allow you to have a little fun. Sky's the limit.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Start here by reading this - CFJ Issue 21: Zone Meal Plans by Greg Glassman - CrossFit Journal

Go and read Enter the Zone - Barry Sears

Here is my meal plan, you will have your own block prescription based on your size. You can easily find it in the link I sent above, and really, it has all you need to get started. Keep in mind this was a performance based meal plan based on athletic performance. You would likely eat less with less exertion.

First priority: decrease cortisol levels by increasing daily sleep to 8.5hrs. This can include naps during the day, so if you fall short overnight, add the nap later in the day. If this is a problem because of family conflicts, institute family nap times - you're wife and daughter are entitled to this as much as you are. This should be a larger priority than Jimmy Fallon.

Second priority: revisit the Zone proportions to support lean body mass, but not to support body fat. By analyzing your numbers, I calculated you at 166.1#LBM and 38.9#BF. This puts you at ~17 blocks/day with an activity factor that takes into account a 3on/1off CF schedule. Follow these rules if possible:
1. Breakfast/lunch/dinner: 4PRO/4FAT/unlimited veggies
2. Pre/post workout snack: 3PRO/4CHO/0FAT. 21g of PRO powder is 3blocks. Pick a coconut water/juice that has ~36g CHO per can. You can choose to drink your PWO snack before/after/during workout, but within a 30minute window (before/after).
3. Continue to have 5 meals/day: B/L/D, PWO, before bed snack (2PRO/2FAT/unlimited veggies).
4. Limit your daily coffee to 1 20oz coffee w/ heavy whipping cream AND 1 20oz decaf w/ heavy whipping cream. If you're having a particularly rough day, add one more decaf.
5. Eat more meat and eggs! Saturated fats from animal PRO boost testosterone. We're trying to restore the testosterone/cortisone ratio, so block out more sources of animal protein.

Third priority: have a cheat meal every Saturday night from 8-10pm. Limit it to these hours, as this will put a cap on the damage you can do, yet still allow you to have a little fun. Sky's the limit.

Thanks a bunch for the info. Hopefully this was written for someone else originally since 1) I have neither a wife nor a daughter... And 2) I'm pretty sure my LBM is not 166!! It's more like 118, w/ 23% BF! LOL. ;-). But I'll check out the link and apply the principles you provided to my own sitch.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Jill, when I researched BP/Paleo some time ago I often came across some people who mentioned that the high-fat diet style just doesn't work for some women because of different genetics. Maybe you're just one of those unfortunate ones? But I guess with an extra push by doing crossfit and adjusting diet some more like puckman suggested I won't matter and you will drop fat like its out of fashion ;)

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
On Paleo, you get used to adding vegetables at all hours of the day. I am pretty sure that there are days where I am over 100 carbs on Paleo; especially if it is a day where I am heavy on nuts and raisins or something. It's tough to get that high on carbs, but you could do it.

Are you actually calculating your intake or are you just making rough assumptions?

There are TONS of people that do Paleo and workout like champs. You just have to make sure that you get enough protein and fat to use as energy.

Sure there are. You still need carbs though. The harder you work out, the more you will need it. Most will get it from complex carbs. Low carb diets are based on the fable that carbs make you fat. Which isn't the case. They also will tell you that you will lose more fat on a low carb diet, which might look that way (since you will lose a lot of water at first) but you could achieve the same results with a good combination of complex carbs, protein and fats.

It works for me, and I'm not overweight, though I would like to get down to the lower range of weight for my height. Most people, even me, who do Paleo do it for the health benefits, and get weight maintenance or loss as an extra benefit.

Every diet works aslong as you make sure you are having a caloric deficit. The big reason why people notice big effects is because a typical person eats a lot of carbs. They go low carb, so they cut out all carbs.. and now they are in a huge caloric deficit. So they lose weight.
If you need 2000cal a day, and you start eating 1300, you will lose weight. Asuming you also want to focus on your health, you can have a very healthy combination of complex carbs, fats and protein.

I would respectfully disagree. Yes, if you buy grass fed beef and free range eggs, organic product, etc, it could get pricey, but you can do Paleo without spending a lot of money. I buy 100% of my Paleo food at Aldi and don't spend much at all. I've found that by cutting out all of the junk from my diet, I probably save money. Plus, I think I actually eat less overall, than I used to.

Well. Paleo at is purest is organic, if I remember correctly. If you are tweaking it, sure. If you used to have a lot of junk food in your diet, and now you cut that out.. and you eat less then before because you have cut out all the carbs you normally took in your diet. Sure, you might even have saved some money.

As an aside, I have worked out much more on paleo in the past and did fine. I never felt like I didn't have enough energy. I think I'm going to start a new training program in a few weeks. Yay!!

Good. Start eating more once you start exercising. You don't want to be so low in your caloric deficit for so long that your metabolism gets all messed up. You might even end up being allergic for gluten.
Oh, and please don't use Crossfit journals as a scientific resource. Those people think its a good thing when you puke after a workout. They give you this nice t-shirt, like you accomplished something big, when you puked. The shirt called 'pukey the clown'. Everybody with some common sense knows puking after training is your body telling you something went terribly wrong. YOur CNS (central nervous system) messed up. I would not let that happen too often.

Again, nothing wrong with low carb, but don't do it because you think it's a magic way to lose the fat. There are no magic pills. If you start losing a lot of weight when you just started your diet.. sorry. it's mostly water.
You don't need to go low carb to lose fat. I would avoid all simple carbs (white flower, table sugar, biscuits etc) and the carbs that I would take would be complex carbs (rice, oatmeal, fruits, vegetables). This for the health benefits. Simple carbs are bad for you, complex carbs are good for you.
I would figure out how much I need on a daily basis. I need 2700 to maintain and so I would design my diet of 2000kcal. Atleast once a week I would have a great cheat meal. The cheat meals has several benefits. With a 700 kcal deficit you can lose around the 0.5 kg a week. That's a healthy number.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Every diet works aslong as you make sure you are having a caloric deficit. The big reason why people notice big effects is because a typical person eats a lot of carbs. They go low carb, so they cut out all carbs.. and now they are in a huge caloric deficit. So they lose weight.
If you need 2000cal a day, and you start eating 1300, you will lose weight. Asuming you also want to focus on your health, you can have a very healthy combination of complex carbs, fats and protein.

Hi Skys respectfully i disagree with you ..you are talking about all calories being equal and the old calories in claories out theory for losing weight ...
its not that simple...i

have you read gary taubes book ?
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health: Gary Taubes: 9781400033461: Amazon.com: Books

this book is amazing as it will blow anyone's belief in calories in calories out theory to smithereens,be warned alot of scientific evidence in this which might rock your belief systems.

i would recommend a fantastic book by Dr ART DE VANY

The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging: Arthur De Vany, Nassim Nicholas Taleb: 9781609613761: Amazon.com: Books

Dr De vany had been eating low carb ,moderate protein and high fat for ..wait for it...for 50 years.. he is 75 now..google a photo of him and you will see in how great shape he is. He models his style of eating/excersise /living on how our ancestors did..he rocks!
In the book he details his own eating protocol in it ,excersise protocol as well as the theory to look after our health as our ancestors did.
In his book he talks about how the eskimos had basically a "low carb "diet but ate a lot of fat and expended up to 5000 calories per day hunting in harsh conditions, but they did not intake 5000 calories ..no where near it ..

its a no bull tell all approach in his book which i find inspiring..he is an advocate of the High intensity training for short amounts of time,but he details i think six weeks of what his eating protocol looks like..its very simple..no protein shakes by the way :p

Anyway i just wanted to share this with you all ...as I am fascinated by nutrition and optimal health..my own view is i keep it as simple as possible much the same as art de vany..
I dont take supplements I excersise regularly ( gym,spriniting , and body weight excersises in the park ,as well as some tabata protocols) and i eat low carb ,moderate protein and good fats...no calorie counting ..and
bring on some kerrygold grassfed butter!

ultimately all of this is what works for you... i can honestly say i am practising what i preach because i have been doing this for over 2 years and i am happy to support members on this thread with concerns they might have with regards to this way of eating.

hope this helps...

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
The problem with Paleo is that its broad, you almost have to create your own version.
very true

As a country we have been conditioned by food companies to develop a sweet tooth, which is just a result of food companies simply trying to sell more food.
Certainly there is truth to this, and there are several factors. But when looking from a business or "customer demand" basis it's a toughie.
I remember seeing stats, that the more sugar added to a product the more is sold. It's one of the reasons we have the sweatest fruits and vegtables ever. They were cultivated for this over other qualities (nutrient density for example). Because they sold better etc.
From a business perspective it would be very tempting to add in sugar if it meant I could fudge on the quality of the ingrediants and see my sales and bottom line increase.
What you mention about Kelloggs is very true too- how they managed to sell cardboard cr*p is insane.

For those interested in food, but also how business/human behaviour can effect things,
I heartily recommend the BBC documentry series "The men who made us fat" which is USA/UK focused. It's pretty fascinating from a business and food/paleo/health perspective;

Ep 1
In the first of this three-part series, Jacques Peretti traces those responsible for revolutionising our eating habits, to find out how decisions made in America 40 years ago influence the way we eat now.
[video=youtube;E6nGlLUBkOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ[/video]

Ep 2
Jacques Peretti investigates how the concept of 'supersizing' changed our eating habits forever. How did we - once a nation of moderate eaters - start to want more?
[video=youtube;owekbSp7wU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owekbSp7wU0[/video]

Ep 3
Jacques Peretti examines assumptions about what is and is not healthy. He also looks at how product marketing can seduce consumers into buying supposed 'healthy foods' such as muesli and juices, both of which can be high in sugar.
[video=youtube;ZlQHXkOUjeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQHXkOUjeI[/video]

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC

Taubes is the man, required reading for this thread.

And Devaney along with Cordain are the guys that really started this all. Devaney's blog is pretty good - http://artdevanyonline.com/

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
For you NY'ers

NYC Area: Had Success with the Paleo Diet? | The Dr. Oz Show

Kettlebell Kitchen - Paleo. Delivered.

Hey Puckman! I forgot you were a crossfitter! I just started in late December, and I'll never workout any other way again. Love it! I'm going to have my gym look into Kettlebell Kitchen. Looks like a great idea. I'm part of a CSA. I like doing most of my cooking on my own, but this is great if you know your gonna be on the run for a few days.

I like where your head is at, but you definitely dont need a 3 minute fran to have a nice body. truth be told, the guys that do that are typically former elite athletes, or near it, most pro athletes who try crossfit dont even come close to that. I know lots of people with 5, 7 even 10 minute fran times who have smoking hot bodies.

This is very true. My last Fran was 6 minutes (I'm new to this. I'm sure it'll be much lower if I did it today).

Are you still a trainer now? I apologize if it says it in one of your previous posts. I'm on very little sleep this week due to work.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Thanks a bunch for the info. Hopefully this was written for someone else originally since 1) I have neither a wife nor a daughter... And 2) I'm pretty sure my LBM is not 166!! It's more like 118, w/ 23% BF! LOL. ;-). But I'll check out the link and apply the principles you provided to my own sitch.

Might be worth having a google around too. Lots of blogs and discussions out there focused on a female centric perspective that may be helpful

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Taubes is the man, required reading for this thread.

And Devaney along with Cordain are the guys that really started this all. Devaney's blog is pretty good - Art De Vany on Line - Results

Puckman You are 100 percent on the money about Gary Taubes as essential reading on this thread :D

i found good calories bad calories quite heavy going at times but it is one of the most detailed and thorough books I have read on questioning Conventional Wisdom regarding nutrition

This guy is incredible in the amount of research he went though to look at the movements in nutrition ,the influence of USDA on clinical studies and backs up everything he says in the evidence.
proof of the pudding as I always say is to try it out for yourself and see what happens....

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
Hey Puckman! I forgot you were a crossfitter! I just started in late December, and I'll never workout any other way again. Love it! I'm going to have my gym look into Kettlebell Kitchen. Looks like a great idea. I'm part of a CSA. I like doing most of my cooking on my own, but this is great if you know your gonna be on the run for a few days.

This is very true. My last Fran was 6 minutes (I'm new to this. I'm sure it'll be much lower if I did it today).

Are you still a trainer now? I apologize if it says it in one of your previous posts. I'm on very little sleep this week due to work.

hey man! do you work out at the box in SI? I am all over town everyday, so I am at Equinox now, not doing the full on Crossfit schedule. I am not coaching but I do offer help to friends and family.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Just finished my bacon and eggs.. paleo has the best breakfast :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So, I'm back on paleo for about 2,5 weeks now after a few weeks break after my injury. Lost a total of 12lbs in this time of which a big part is surely water-weight from going back to very-low-carb (under 50g carbs per day, so I'm in ketosis most of the time). Today I hit a 3-year low of 197lbs. My goal is 175lbs until July, then I'll have fully recovered from the injury and can go back to heavy-weight lifting and can put on some lean muscle.

Once again I can only say I love this lifestyle!

My rough daily routine:

Fasting until lunch at 12:30. Lunch is a smoothie of 400ml coconut milk, 150g raspberries, 2 big raw eggs and some vanilla extract for taste. Dinner at around 7pm is usually either 300g of bacon with 4 eggs and a 250ml coconut milk/raspberrie shake or a paleo curry with some mixed vegetables, ground beef and, again coconut milk. Then fasting until lunch next day.

On weekends I'll usually have bacon & eggs for lunch/late breakfast and have some meat, often spareribs or some baked chicken, with a big-a$$ salad for dinner. Also of course the obligatory coconutmilk shake before dinner.

Never felt hungry despite rather small portions, eating so much fat is just great :).

How are you guys doing?

G

GuestUser8117

So, I'm back on paleo for about 2,5 weeks now after a few weeks break after my injury. Lost a total of 12lbs in this time of which a big part is surely water-weight from going back to very-low-carb (under 50g carbs per day, so I'm in ketosis most of the time). Today I hit a 3-year low of 197lbs. My goal is 175lbs until July, then I'll have fully recovered from the injury and can go back to heavy-weight lifting and can put on some lean muscle.

Once again I can only say I love this lifestyle!

My rough daily routine:

Fasting until lunch at 12:30. Lunch is a smoothie of 400ml coconut milk, 150g raspberries, 2 big raw eggs and some vanilla extract for taste. Dinner at around 7pm is usually either 300g of bacon with 4 eggs and a 250ml coconut milk/raspberrie shake or a paleo curry with some mixed vegetables, ground beef and, again coconut milk. Then fasting until lunch next day.

On weekends I'll usually have bacon & eggs for lunch/late breakfast and have some meat, often spareribs or some baked chicken, with a big-a$$ salad for dinner. Also of course the obligatory coconutmilk shake before dinner.

Never felt hungry despite rather small portions, eating so much fat is just great :).

How are you guys doing?
This is fkn awesome!

Captain Scarlet

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Mar 5, 2013
I'm pretty much Paleo and I thought I knew a lot of 'stuff', but some really interesting topics on this thread. If you are Paleo and you have kids then I would recommend you get your kids into a Paleo lifestyle. I see so many parents give in to their kids and feed them absolute rubbish and if you start them young enough they will grow up knowing what they can eat and what they should eat. My youngest who is 6 eats bacon, a bit of apple and carrot sticks for breakfast. It looks a bit strange and I'm sure people think we are mistreating him by not feeding him sugary cereals and high doses of white bread!

I also lead by example, so I don't let my kids eat something I wouldn't eat myself.

The funny thing is, you ask anyone who has a dog and ask them why they don't give them chocolate or biscuits and they will say that it's not good for them, but they do allow their kids to eat it. Amazing!

Anyway, I have two very healthy kids who enjoy the outdoors and attack life like it is supposed to be lived. It's hard work at times, but if you are a parent then you need to parent and quit the fussing. /rantover ;-)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I also lead by example, so I don't let my kids eat something I wouldn't eat myself.

The funny thing is, you ask anyone who has a dog and ask them why they don't give them chocolate or biscuits and they will say that it's not good for them, but they do allow their kids to eat it. Amazing!

Anyway, I have two very healthy kids who enjoy the outdoors and attack life like it is supposed to be lived. It's hard work at times, but if you are a parent then you need to parent and quit the fussing. /rantover ;-)

I don't have kids yet, but this is exactly how I would handle it. It's a shame that people let kids eat whatever they want. We need more people like you in this world!!!

Cley

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 27, 2013
The caveman diet also known as the paleotic diet wasn't that much different when it was populated by Walter L. Voegtlin. The fact is that today we have to be careful with this new stone age diet.
People need to take their time to care about themselves. My recommendations are simple:
-Protein and carbohydrates
-Fish and seafood, such as salmon
-Fiber-rich root vegetables, such as beets, rutabagas, carrots, celeriac and turnips
Also you will need exercises for your body and of course you need to relax with good music. By the way check this article about [MOD has removed link]

Last edited by a moderator:

jatx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Apr 29, 2013
Texas
Anyone try the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I've been practicing Paleo for almost 2 years with a lot of macro-nutrient experimentation along the way. I had no known health issues and thought I was in good shape before, but now I feel and perform a thousand times better. What started as an attempt to build muscle led to a new lifestyle and an additional line of research/income. I now am a health and fitness trainer on the side for fun. I recently made connections with some of the top Paleo authors/figures so it may turn into a business opportunity very soon. One thing is for sure, there is a need out there. I'm going to read through this whole thread eventually, but if anyone has any questions let me know.

Edit to add:
By the way, finding the diet best for you is a process not an event :). I have worked hard to iron out the process that works for most people based on their backgrounds, goals, and other lifestyle factors. It's been a fun learning experience!

Last edited:

Jaquelyn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 12, 2013
New Hampshire / Belgium
I'm a woman and it works for me. I eat a lot more calories now then I did when I was fat.

Last November I stopped eating sugar grains and most dairy except for Sundays and I was loosing about 3 pounds a week (in the beginning more) and it wasn't until march that I really started working out on top of my dietary changes.

Since then I've been doing cross fit and moved into doing triathlons to keep my motivation up.

When I started I was 210lbs in March I was 166 now I'm 153.

I had tried counting calories, weight watchers and slim fast before they didn't work for me they just made me hungry and irritable.

Hope that helps.

My advice would be to try it for one month and see if it works for you if it doesn't you can always change back.

Just don't forget to eat your veggies!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.