The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
No cheese? But I love cheese!

I would probably die a slow, agonizing death without cheese (and coffee!!).

I have a little bit of cheese in my eggs and sometimes on a salad or a slice over a hamburger patty. I haven't noticed a difference in weight loss/gain. I think it is all based on carbs. For example, on the Atkins diet, you can eat cheese, but in limited amounts because of the carbs in the cheese.

So I think a couple of ounces of cheese per day probably won't set anyone back too much. It's when you add in a glass of milk (really high carb) or yogurt that will make problems. I'm only talking about weight loss here, since yogurt tends to be something that people can add back in once they get down to their goal weight, and there are a lot of health benefits.

truesouth

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2011
Patagonia, Chile
This thread is fabulous. I read it completely.

Unknowingly, I was wearing practically the same diet, eating what I wanted and I have always maintained my weight for over a year. Free of sugar, bread, and grains. My proportion was about 60% vegetables and 40% meat.

However, as an experiment with my body, I decided in the last 30 days eating all the junk people eat today, including carbohydrates, cakes, some sugar, and so on.

The result?

I gained 12 lbs in just one month. In just 30 days. That is shocking.

Time to go back to my previous diet :)

However, I have a question. No one is having heart problems by cholesterol? I have understood that many quantities of meat consumption is bad for heart health.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
However, as an experiment with my body, I decided in the last 30 days eating all the junk people eat today, including carbohydrates, cakes, some sugar, and so on.

The result?

I gained 12 lbs in just one month. In just 30 days. That is shocking.
Can't say that I am THAT shocked, but yeah, impressive to say the least.

Good thing you can easily revert to your previous diet and probably will wear that weight off in a couple of months.

However, I have a question. No one is having heart problems by cholesterol? I have understood that many quantities of meat consumption is bad for heart health.
Can't say yet, I just started it.

As I am going for now with mostly grass-fed beef and free-range chicken, I am hoping the results will be very positive, but not sure how it will be in the long run, I guess we will see.

I weighted myself again this morning. Lost 1 pound in the last two days.

Hard to believe that I am losing weight while eating stuff I really like and without limiting the amounts I eat.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think I just found a goldmine of awesome new recipes: Health-Bent | Paleo Diet recipes that don't look or taste like dog food.

It's Paleo-ish and everything seems super healthy. Their philosophy:

health-bent's faq page said:
We are interested in entirely avoiding what we consider the biggest modern agents of disease: grains, excess sugar/fructose, industrial seed/vegetable oils…while keeping all carbohydrate intake relatively low.

But we don’t recreate Paleolithic times at our house. We use the theory of what people ate before Western diseases showed up as the basis for what we should think about eating and avoiding. Then we look at all the modern science. If the modern science backs it up…which it usually does, then we start to feel confident about it.

(snip)

Whether it’s olive oil, some dairy, a little sugar or fruit…we don’t think it’s worth splitting hairs or feeling bad about…on the technicality of available/not available in the Paleolithic. We know that what we’re really doing is using the theory of evolutionary biology as a framework to apply to our modern food culture. We would not call these things “unhealthy” and feel that these items can have a beneficial place in your diet (or conversely…a less detrimental one) and we (as with everything else) think they’re ok to leave up to conscious evaluation of the individual.

Some of their recipes look like they will be slipping into my weekly meals quite easily.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I make recipes from ^^^ that ^^^ book, daily.

It's friggin' awesome.

G

GuestUser8117

Very interesting thread. I'm gonna do some research and maybe I'll give it a try.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/weight-loss-the-emotional-element/

Great article on the emotional aspect of healthy eating and applies to working out etc...

I think cracking this code is the holy grail billion dollar question for health tools. Providing proper motivation and breaking the emotional/mental holdbacks people have in getting healthy. What that is? I dunno but think about it often. I think people are getting closer to more effective help by ideas such as using social media to help w/ peer pressure for personal accountability and peer support etc...

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I would probably die a slow, agonizing death without cheese (and coffee!!).

I have a little bit of cheese in my eggs and sometimes on a salad or a slice over a hamburger patty. I haven't noticed a difference in weight loss/gain. I think it is all based on carbs. For example, on the Atkins diet, you can eat cheese, but in limited amounts because of the carbs in the cheese.

So I think a couple of ounces of cheese per day probably won't set anyone back too much. It's when you add in a glass of milk (really high carb) or yogurt that will make problems. I'm only talking about weight loss here, since yogurt tends to be something that people can add back in once they get down to their goal weight, and there are a lot of health benefits.

Most cheeses have 1 carb or less than 1 carb per serving. That's nothing!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

Google search Paleo and Cholesterol. I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info on why your cholesterol doesn't go up, but rather goes down. I would do it for you but I'm too tired right now. :sleep:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Warning, this post is quite personal, so don't read it while eating etc ;)

In the last days I'm experiencing some of the downsides of (switching to) paleo. Namely really bad breath and often nearly liquid stool. I researched it and a lot of people are having those problems and seemingly its because the body isn't used to the high fat and low carbs (in my case nearly zero carbs), but it passes after the body adjusts. So I guess I'm in deep ketosis right now, which is of course great for fat loss, but not so good for human interaction :D.

Of course I'm brushing my teeth in the morning and evening and also do a mouthwash with baking soda (really good). Activated charcoal helps a lot with the toilet stuff, but thats not really a longterm solution.

Anybody experience the same things? How long does it take the body to adjust? I'm starting my in-person-interaction-heavy job next Friday and don't want to come of as if I'd just eaten a foul dead cat or have to run to the toilet every few hours :groove:

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I was in ketosis for about 6 weeks while I did the atkins diet several years ago, and my experience was that the breath side effect didn't go away. Mine wasn't bad, just weird.

If you up your carb intake to between 20-30 grams of carbs per day, you will still be low carb (compared to some people's typical intake of over 300 grams of carbs per day) but will stop ketosis. I have experienced substantial weight loss at a carb intake of up to 50 grams per day, which allows more fruit, etc.

I think the digestion problems just might be related to your body adjusting to a new diet. Adding additional carbs (in the form of vegetables with fiber - and remember, you don't have to count the fiber carbs) will help you a lot. It should only take several days to adjust.

Was the diet you were eating drastically different than what you are eating now?

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I was in ketosis for about 6 weeks while I did the atkins diet several years ago, and my experience was that the breath side effect didn't go away. Mine wasn't bad, just weird.

If you up your carb intake to between 20-30 grams of carbs per day, you will still be low carb (compared to some people's typical intake of over 300 grams of carbs per day) but will stop ketosis. I have experienced substantial weight loss at a carb intake of up to 50 grams per day, which allows more fruit, etc.

I think the digestion problems just might be related to your body adjusting to a new diet. Adding additional carbs (in the form of vegetables with fiber - and remember, you don't have to count the fiber carbs) will help you a lot. It should only take several days to adjust.

Was the diet you were eating drastically different than what you are eating now?

Well, I'm on strict IF paleo (4 hours eating, 20 fasting) for about 2 weeks now, before that I was at home for 3 weeks and tried to eat as paleoish as possible, but had a lot of days with cheaty meals my mom cooked, plus beer, chips etc in the evenings. Before that I was doing IF for a few months and had a quite monotonous diet, I ate 2-3 chicken burgers and 1lbs of cottage cheese with berries (approx. 1500 calories with a macro ratio of 50prot/40carb/10fat) in an 1 hour window and fasted for 23 hours..

I guess I'll just take some more charcoal and order some probiotics and digestive enzymes until my digestive system has fully adjusted. I'd like to spend some more time in ketosis to lose the gut, but I'll see how it works out when I'm at the job.

Oh and by the way, I'm eating carbs once a week following the bulletproof diet protocol. About 100-150g carb-refeed from sweet potatoes on saturday evenings (I drown them in butter.... mhhhhh, looking forward to it tomorrow :)). They describe it not as a ketonic, but a cyclic diet..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I found a stool change when I switched my diet as well - it "leveled out" in about a week. Your millage may vary.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I haven't experienced this yet. Hoping I don't. Gonna research it today.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I did start taking a probiotic pill daily. Have not seen those effects you mention. I am also taking the D3 more regularly.

I think on that page you recommended, the bulletproof exec, they mentioned something like that.

Are you drinking the bulletproof coffee in the morning? Maybe reduce the amount of MCT oil, and see what happens?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yes I'm drinking the coffee in the morning. But the coffee, butter or MCT oil is not responsible for the effects. In the last few days I didn't drink it, because I ran out of MCT and am waiting for my order, and I had the same effects..

I'm taking D3, too. Will buy some probiotics.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Also, take a look at the veggies you are consuming.

I love cauliflower. Can't eat it though. I become a walking gas bomb.

Broccoli? Makes me run to the bathroom. It is like eating something poisonous to my intestines.

I avoid those two and leave them out completely from my diet.

Maybe there is one thing that has the specific effect on you.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
About 100-150g carb-refeed from sweet potatoes on saturday evenings (I drown them in butter.... mhhhhh, looking forward to it tomorrow ).

I must admit, this makes me drool. I am not quite where I want to be weight-wise, but I can't wait to add a weekly sweet potato into my diet. Sounds absolutely delicious. I also think I will eat yogurt or kefir daily, too.

This is probably what is going on. Maybe you've adding in something you almost never eat...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Sounds absolutely delicious

It is :). I still want to lose at least 20lbs, but I'm not in a hurry and from what I read the carb-refeed once a week even helps your weight loss, because it resets your leptin level. (whatever that is, I don't have time to read up on all the research and terms :)). But it seems to help your energy levels.
Edit: its called the "fat-loss-hormone"... sounds good :)

bulletproofexec said:
Over the past five or six days of this protocol, you’ve been in deep ketosis and burning only fat, but you haven’t had to be particularly calorie restricted. In order to reset leptin levels and prevent a large drop in energy levels, you need to re-feed. Contrary to our normal recommendations, you need to pound down the carbs. When it comes to normalizing leptin levels, fat has no effect, while carbs are going to send them sky high.

This recommendation is for the rapid fat loss protocol where you ONLY eat bulletproof coffee (+butter and MCT oil) for 6 days and refeed on one day. I tried this, its unbelievably hard. Not hungry, because you get enoughs cals, but you want to bite on something ;).

For the normal IF protocols he actually recommends refeeding every 3-4 days for the best effects on energy levels. After all the bulletproof diet is focussed on mental/body performance and not specifically fat loss.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
^^^ This is absolutely untrue. ^^^ Quinoa is an obvious example of a non-meat super food. Spirulina, Goji berries & eggs are some other options just off the top of my head & there are more.

There will never be one diet that works for every single human being on this green earth.

Listen to your body, pay attention to it's cues & do your homework. Our bodies tell us what they like/don't like, it's often much more simple than we make it out to be.

There is no doubt most of the items you listed have nutritional value-my only point was that meat is the only food that has all the essential amino acids that your body needs.

Things like Goji berries are ~10% protein and I believe only have 16-18 of the essential amino acids. Also, the amount of berries one would have to eat to actually experience any benefit (from the protein aspect) would be hard to attain.

Yup, things like Quinoa and eggs have all essential amino acids but I was going by the fact that the thread was about paleo. Quinoa is a grain so I didn't mention it and eggs would most likely be part of someone who is on a paleo diet anyway. (thing is obviously one can't eat 24 eggs a day-at least they shouldn't)

The reason I said "supplement with various different foods" is because if someone eats chick peas as a protein source, they only contain 5 of the 9 essential amino acids. If they added something like beans, they would still be at 8 out of 9 because beans only contain 3 of the 4 missing ones.

This can get messy if someone doesn't know how many essentials they get per meal.

I went to Sam's club and bought their brand for now, Simply Right Triple strength Fish oil and Simply Right 4X probiotic supplement. I have some Vitamin D at home already so mayne I should take those, no?

100% the best fish oil on the market is: Carlson's COD Liver oil (it's Norwegian) -> with the oil spills and radioactive waste now from Japan, getting good fish oil is crucial. Carlson's is like hand made and very pure. They have a great lemon tasting one AND

They have one with added vitamin D. You only need the extra vitamin D if it's winter though. Also the normal one comes with Vitamin D added in already (400 IU to be exact - which is the daily dose for normal conditions anyway)

I take 6,000 iu's per day except for summer time

Is there a specific reason? If no, then you are doing more harm then good.

The media made up this load of bullcr*p to push certain industry products. Like likwid said just do a simple search and you will get to the bottom of it.

I did start taking a probiotic pill daily. Have not seen those effects you mention. I am also taking the D3 more regularly.

Humans can only absorb up to 60% of any pill form supplement. That means it could be 5% absorption or up to 60%. If you can, go with liquid supplements ( I highly recommend kambucha-which has more things then just probiotics that are good for you). Liquid supplements will get absorbed 100% (although, yes some of the liquid will be destroyed by stomach acid - but so will the pill)

p.s. it is 4:58 am right now and even though I wanted to edit my grammar+spelling, I am way to tired. Please forgive any mistakes and I will re-read this tomorrow.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
p.s. it is 4:58 am right now and even though I wanted to edit my grammar+spelling, I am way to tired. Please forgive any mistakes and I will re-read this tomorrow.

Dont worry about it, this is the fastlane forum, not the grammar-nazi forum :) Great post!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Check this one out:

What Should You Eat? Report Says 'Big Food' Influencing Dieticians - Forbes

“These courses cannot possibly be based on science if they are sponsored by the likes of Coke and Hershey’s,â€

“Food companies are not in the education business, they are in the selling food business. These particular companies make money selling the very foods people are eating too much of, so how could they possibly offer science-based information that would go against their interests?â€

The Corn Refiners Association (lobbyists for high fructose corn syrup) sponsored three “expo impact†sessions at the 2012 annual meeting.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
You might want to check out this book, I remember having this problem, too.

The Dukan Diet: 2 Steps to Lose the Weight, 2 Steps to Keep It Off Forever: Pierre Dukan: 9780307887962: Amazon.com: Books

It's bascially like paleo/low carb/atkins, but he recommends people going 1 week without vegetables, only protein, and then 1 week eating vegetables again. Lots of people don't believe it, but vegetables (especially uncooked) can cause digestion issues.

Very good book, it was very long the #1 in the german book bestseller list.

http://www.fixabook.com/wp-content/gallery/blurbs/the-dukan-diet.png

Dukan-Diet-vs-Atkins.jpg

I love cauliflower. Can't eat it though. I become a walking gas bomb.

Broccoli? Makes me run to the bathroom. It is like eating something poisonous to my intestines.

I avoid those two and leave them out completely from my diet.

Maybe there is one thing that has the specific effect on you.

Attachments

• the-dukan-diet.jpg
    the-dukan-diet.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 177

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Just came back from some shopping across the border:

kerry.jpg

Thats nearly 17lbs of butter right there. When the cashier girl asked me what I'm planning to with all the butter I told her that I eat roughly a pack of those per day to lose fat. She must think I'm really stupid :)

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Dont worry about it, this is the fastlane forum, not the grammar-nazi forum :) Great post!

lol, I understand, but at the same time, my posts are a representation of me.

If they look like a 12 year old is just sitting at home button mashing the keyboard, then I will quickly loose credibility.

I like to live by, the way you do anything is the way you do everything.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I like to live by, the way you do anything is the way you do everything.

In one of my very first jobs (when I was a teenage), I worked as basically a data-entry/filing person at an engineering firm. I don't remember what I was complaining about to a middle-aged salesman, but he gave me some really good advice that has lasted through so many types of jobs. He told me that I should always do the absolute BEST no matter what kind of job I had. If I was a janitor, then I should strive to be the best janitor, priding myself on having the cleanest toilets around. It really had a lasting effect on me, and served as a good work ethic through many menial jobs that I held after that while I worked through school.

It's always a good idea to be your best :)

Thats nearly 17lbs of butter right there. When the cashier girl asked me what I'm planning to with all the butter I told her that I eat roughly a pack of those per day to lose fat. She must think I'm really stupid

I love this brand of butter... they sell it at the local market here. Yum!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.