• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

EXECUTION Pacific Northwest cannabis industry media project attempt #2

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Private Witt, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Private Witt

Private Witt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Thanks Cole! Im glad you think its awesome, because I think I can only make it better with time. I havent cued in the 420 models yet ;).

B. Cole and Shepherd like this.
  2. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    The big day has come and Im now processing a bunch of content and on the business end. I hope to have it all wrapped up by Friday and take a breather for a few weeks while doing light business and working on my site and social media.

I can say the bus event was beyond epic. I nailed the guest list and order of events, food, and the swag bag. There was a massive shift of energy when went to the show that was unexpected and a few meh things but overall it went well.

Will update in more detail and future moves by the end of the weekend.

3. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Happy to say processed everything and ready to move on.

The biggest issue I saw was to much of a lack of control with partners. I need to cut hands out of the pie. As of now for holding music shows Im going to put the brakes on until more stronger with the cannabis side of what Im doing. Tomorrow I am checking out a venue for what would be a cannabis-related event with just paying a band a few hundie and not worry about tickets but more about sponsors and use for networking and an integration I want to inject into the equation.

I will say the bus event was a huge success and considering squeezing an industry event in. The biggest issues is the holidays as Ive found from like 12/8 to 1/15 is a sort of dead zone to do stuff. Holidays just slow the hell out of everything and best to use this time to lay low and retool. Im up for trying to get an event off, but the reality is Im really tired and want a period of time that allows me to rebalance and stock up the war chest versus spending and stressing.

Tonight Im doing an interview with two stoner brothers who run a family farm. These guys are amazing. They roll immense joints. We smoked a $150 valued one on the bus trip.

Roz, amp0193 and Lex DeVille like this.
  4. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Next event on the calendar!

I ended up doing a survey of venues that were cannabis friendly in Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia and Portland. Last week I had a ton of long drives, conversations and venue visits.

I narrowed it down to Portland for a few reasons. First, the venue is beyond amazing. I visited in April and loved it, but didnt realize the built-in community and amazing cost.

Basically its a cannabis club that charges $20 to be a member and $5 a visit. It can fit around 500 on two levels and patio. It has over 15k members and active nightly visitation.

The party is going to be a launch party for BlazingOregon.com and a memoir I wrote about my reentry into the industry last year. Ill clone my Washington site and slap on the new logo and old content from Oregon. I think I'll make a visit a month for content and also find a nerdy budtender to write articles. The book is about how I bottomed out the first attempt, addressed a 30-year addiction and the relaunch of the project. I'm lucky the cannabis industry is both highly creative and dysfunctional, allowing the insanity in the book not to be a hindrance to my business progress. Part 2 of my saga is coming out next year with the content period ending at the end of January.

I can sell a signed limited edition book for between $15 - 25 at events directly to industry peeps at a nice profit (only $3.50ish to print and get shipped to me). I did this before with a print travel guide and found some success selling at conferences and trade shows as people are so interested in books directly about their local industry.

The beauty of Portland is its 7 miles from Vancouver, WA that has a decent size cannabis community. I can than cross-state market on my visits. I can also draw WA peeps to my event at the club.

Booths go for $250 and can fit 11 as of now, but maybe up to 20 if creative. My cost with rental, DJ and print promo cost will be around $1000. So if I can sell out the booths, which is possible, Ill have a nice profit there. There are no ticket sales as the club gets the $5 cover cost. This is fair as they will be bringing enough people in to justify the cost of the booths.

A lot of marketing is done by the club, but I will visit upwards of 40 stores on both sides of the border with promo. Ill also be blasting my contacts up in Seattle for their Southern WA and Oregon peeps to rally up sponsors and guests.

Im going to start on the primary promo this week and hope to have ready in a week or two.

My goal is 25 sponsors total, in addition to booths, I'll be targeting Seattle entities for swag and sponsorship as so many love to be known down in Oregon from up here.

Roz and amp0193 like this.
  5. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Thanks for the love Roz and helping me get to over 2k Fastlane cash!

I'm still prepping for my Jan. 19th party, but the reality is things are slowing down big time and those who are active are focusing on closing out the year. I'm in good shape as at a club that draws people for events so my main task is sponsors.

Im going down to Portland and will be sponsoring a booth at the same club for an event and do some networking. Once the new year starts, Ill blast for sponsors both in Washington and Oregon. Im not a big fan of doing this only 19 days ahead of event but will be okay as stoners are used to last minute planning.

I did party with the original drummer of Green Day a few weeks ago at an event. Really nice guy and is a grower out of Oregon.

Happy holidays to all and looking forward to an exciting 2019!

Kid, George Appiah, Roz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Roz

Roz Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,113
    Love your progress, mate.

Keep executing!

Private Witt likes this.
  7. George Appiah

George Appiah Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,503
  8. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Thanks Raz, all about the executing, will have an update soon, got some good stuff going on and happy to say people are getting back on their grinds from the holidays and a lot is going on which is good for what Im doing as I just show up to their events, let them do the heavy lifting and I just network and make deals.

Roz likes this.
  9. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Hello to Ghana! I was very close to moving to Mali once for a job and was reading about cannabis in Ghana.

It is interesting those links you shared as it reminds me how many opportunities within the cannabis industry there are in so many directions. I look forward to the day when the majority of the world embraces both the medicinal and financial impact the plant and allow millions upon millions have amazing opportunities in the zillion local industries that would be created.

George Appiah likes this.
  10. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    The long wait is over! My next event in two days and Im pumped. Since there are no tickets Im not sure what to expect but I feel there will be a good turn-out. I was able to get an interview on an industry blog and a strategic partner that is well-liked did a video inviting peeps and the response was very positive.

Im looking at this as a chance to get 50 or so books into the industry. Hope pick up a few reviews and also have practice for a much bigger launch party Ill be throwing in Seattle on March 9th. Now this next event is exciting as I will own the tickets, VIP and sponsorship. I also will have four local musical acts at a great price.

The last month has been rough but happy to say getting back into swing of things and ready for a productive 2019. I have a ton of work to do on my site, marketing and consolidating partners but things are looking up and just need to keep grinding. I feel I can scale to one event a month by mid-year and take things up a few notches, but for now focusing on what is in front of me and that is to crush this weekend and be ready to turn-around and get to work on the next with lessons learned.

amp0193, George Appiah and Roz like this.
  11. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    The event went as expected, but the drive there and back on the same day was brutal and destroyed me for days. It was an amazing learning experience as a few things went completely wrong due to lack of knowledge of the venue and Portland, but a few positive byproducts emerged and with a few tweaks and more experience I think Portland will be a place where I can build a lot of strong allies and value.

My next event in Seattle is looking to be very interesting as for the first time I hold the tickets, VIP, sponsorship and music booking. Its a small venue of a max cap of 250ish, but I may have two buses outsides for consumption that seat 50. The situation with the location, cost of venue and the booking agent makes the perfect 1st total rookie shot.

I've had training wheels on for all past events due to others doing the bulk of the ticketing, marketing and sales. Im pumped for the opportunity to take the leap and be on my own.

Its also became clear that this is a great chance to bring on a bunch of industry influencers and possible strategic partners to help sell this out and also throw one amazing event. My plan is to finish the line-up the next few days with four or five local emerging acts who can easily move 20 or so tickets each, Im going to comp quite a few and than sell another 100.

I need a sponsorship plan and I will be bringing a few party throwers to help with that, in addition to my own reach-outs.

When it come down to it Im tapping a ton of different tribes and going straight to the leaders and then on March 9th going to have a little party while Im making deals all the way to the event, during and after.

12. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    I ended up getting incredibly sick with a cold and fever from Thursday to yesterday. This sucks as I lost a lot of earnings from my cash death grind, but okay as I got so much done with a little effort. The first draft of the poster for the event was finished, which allows me to promote and sell tickets. Im going to launch it tomorrow through my social media and hopefully all the performers do the same. I will than execute a marketing plan with strategic partners.

As for the performers, I got really good news. I landed three rising acts, completely different, with great back stories. One is a female from Tacoma on fire, 4 dudes who are growing a passionate local fan base and a Gen X duo who have amazing videos and branding with one of the guys being a major player in a Seattle mega-startup beast.

The venue only holds 270 and I will be comping upwards of a 100 so I will be setting the goal of 170 tickets. The question is how many will buy the GA for $15 or the VIP for $30. Shall soon see. I will be also pounding out cash for sponsorship but will start promoting and getting everyone on the same page for a week or so.

As I mentioned in the last post I need to consolidate human resources and that has already started. I've started with ten people so far and will be expanding 1 - 5 people a day, but not going to rush it, at same time have an intensity of purpose. I think in the end Ill have over 25 entities on this event and over 50 people and time to see who is serious and wants to come to the green promise land with me.

Glad to say I have 12 entities locked down and communicating so I'm really happy with my position with 46 days left to the event.

I also decided to pump up my events to one a month and have already started my April planning with an event either in Olympia or Seattle. By summer my goal is to able to book 1000+ where the real profits lurk, but I need to do some small ball before I take the leap.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  13. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,973
    Cheering from Texas... grew up in Seattle. Down here they condescendingly call it the devils lettuce, while drinking their piss water/bud light.

Private Witt likes this.
  14. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Haha, will be funny how the devils lettuce attitude changes when Texas starts to feel the $$$$ potential. Ill never forget my trip to Oklahoma last summer and now the industry has gone nuts in that state.

Man, u must be shocked when you come home to Seattle. Ive been here only going on my 4th year and the changes have been incredible, what a disaster. Shocked when I hear when the long-term locals tell me what this city used to be like.

15. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,622
    What a hustler. I can't imagine planning big events like this every month. You have to juggle so much!

Private Witt likes this.
  16. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,973
    I've been in Texas 10 years. I wouldn't be able to recognize the place. My friends take pictures of entire neighborhoods that are now completely torn down and rebuilt. I built a house down here for 250k that would go for 850k up there. Hard to go back when I'm $600k richer just by that standard.

Anyway, how are your social media presences? Instagram pages grow ridiculously fast, being that so much of the cannabis culture can be caught on images.

Also, I've reached out to a friend who I know has compiled a massive cannabis dispensary list, but I forgot where he pulled the data from. I'll see about his method. I figure you could do some outreach to a list of local dispensaries. Maybe workout wholesale pricing, and offer a joint with a ticket or a voucher to the locations. In return, more highly targeted places you can send your posters.

Dammit, now that I'm typing this, I wish I was up there, what a time to live!

Private Witt likes this.
  17. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Massive juggling and feel the jump to once a month will be insanity, but one of my partners does like 20 - 30 a month so its doable but as a rookie landmines are everywhere.

Im also reminded of the Frye Festival and I never want to be involved with an event that is not the total opposite.

Roz, Kid and amp0193 like this.
  18. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Yah man enjoy that house, it sucks so hard living in an apartment that I pay $1500 a month for. Im kinda sick of it here and Im very inspired to live elsewhere and happy to say my business is built for so many places I want to be. But I will hack it up for a while as so much opportunity and Im at the cusp, just need to keep executing.

My Instagram page has been kept small for a few reasons, mostly due to cannabis page shutdowns. But I have a decent local industry reach and will be growing it with local influencers and party throwers joining my team soon. My Facebook page I use for a few things but not a big fan as Im always getting ads and things rejected due to cannabis so I mostly use social media to coordinate with allies and pass info.

I have a pretty decent store penetration in the greater Seattle area and Tacoma. Doing those types of giveaways cant be done by law. Washington state has incredibly strict cannabis gifting and wholesale laws so I dont go near it. But there are workarounds with the bus and what Im doing.

In the industry, they say if u can be profitable in Washington state you can make it anywhere.

I agree it is a good time to live, but the good news it will be in your neck of the woods soon enough, nothing is stopping the cannabis train, not even Texas, just a time thing.

Kruiser, Jonathan Hoch and amp0193 like this.
  19. Jonathan Hoch

Rep Bank:
    $1,973
    I never plan on going back for more than maybe a few Seahawks games, so I've never looked into the laws. bummer!

You're right though, the politicians will eventually get greedy enough to want their piece of that green tax, and it'll spread like a humboldt county wildfire >< And of course, I'll be waiting for that gold rush with my shovels and headlamps!

As far as the accounts getting shut down, any reason why? Maybe some sort of "+21 Only" watermark on your images, so you can really showcase yourself as a responsible brand?

PS: As I was typing this, I got word back from my friend, and he naturally has lists of California and Nevada. Nothing in Washington or Oregon.

Private Witt likes this.
  20. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Yah the government in Washington is the big winner with a 38% tax rate and banning home grow to the public.

I dont know why but they target a lot of local influencers with shutdowns of massive cannabis Instagram and Facebook accounts. There is a lot of infighting in the industry and it could be people reporting each other for nonsense causing issues.

Im not a big fan of watermarks or putting disclaimers up to satisfy the powers-to-be. Maybe down the road I'll develop a strat, but for now happy with my small local crowd and adding a few people a day to my followers.

Speaking of BS platform rules. I just got pushed back a few days to market my event because Eventbrite rejected my listing after being up with no problem. I found a local company that allows cannabis events but waiting to get approved. Check this chit out, I do break the first as there are legal cannabis gifts in the swag bags on the buses.

It has come to our attention that your event may violate U.S. federal regulations surrounding cannabis. While various activities related to cannabis are permitted under certain states’ or countries' laws, they still remain illegal under U.S. federal law and are therefore not permitted by our Terms of Service.

Specifically, Eventbrite prohibits:

• events where cannabis or cbd of any type is included with a ticket or registration, for example, free samples, gifts, giveaways, or infused food or refreshments available at the event
    • events where attendees learn how to extract or grow cannabis
    • dispensary tours
    • events that highlight attendees sharing their own cannabis as a key element of the event

21. Jonathan Hoch

Rep Bank:
    $1,973
    Damn. That’s like your entire business model summed up in 4 bullets. Stupid.

Private Witt likes this.
  22. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    It touches on a lot but nobody really enforces that, but the ticket website I guess.

I do not like a lot of the restrictions in place in the industry. I loath business obstruction and there is some serious mismanagement going on by our great government. Is one of the cool part of the industry as there are causes to jump on and collaborate with like-minded people doing stuff.

23. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Resistance is hitting me hardcore. First I was sick for a full week. I also had to rearrange my entire work schedule and deal with irregularities due to Seattles ViaDoom for three weeks. Basically they shut down the secondary main in Seattle to realign a tunnel that launched on Monday. Seattle is already a traffic nightmare and this just made it so much worse.

Of course on Monday, Seattle was hit with a massive snowstorm which like an idiot I drove through as I needed to grind my pay bills job. Made it alive with a ton of close calls, but man i saw like ten accidents in real time and was nuts.

Now I cant do my cash grind and have to cancel all meetings as city and surrounding area is on lockdown. The hills are what kills it as they are very hard to pass and they are everywhere.

Im hitting off tasks at home but this has been going on for three weeks and ready to giddie-up. I think another week of snow too, but Im going to try to get my grinds on no matter what happens.

Been rough since October with gloomy weather and makes everything harder, but it shall pass and will be stronger.

I slowed down team building, but focusing on the ten or so attention I have and hope to have a few meetings in next few days that put massive actions in ticket sales and sponsorship. So far 120 tickets set aside for comps and sponsors, 130 to sell at $30 each.

Jonathan Hoch likes this.
  24. Jonathan Hoch

Rep Bank:
    $1,973
    The hills in Seattle are already no joke. Add snow? You’re slipping all the way down and into the Puget Sound.

At least the snow is incredibly rare in Seattle. Just sucks that it’s mid-grind-mode.

Private Witt likes this.
  25. Private Witt

Rep Bank:
    $2,468
    Yah man, its nuts on those hills. It looks like the last few days have been a warmup and on Friday and Saturday the worst snowstorm to hit Seattle in a long time is coming. Than a day off and another storm Monday and Tuesday.

Ill be ready for this one stocked up with supplies and no meetings. As long as I have Internet I can get stuff done. I do have to do more sponsorship work than I thought as I have a few people MIA and may as well start bombing away throughout the industry as so many entities and people to reach out to.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.