The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Oops. Another radio interview tomorrow.

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
TL;DR

What shall I talk about?

I've posted a LOT in the forum.

Which posts/thoughts/sayings/waffle resonated the most with you?

Backstory

I did an interview for a local Dublin radio station about 3 months ago (here).

Mary, the lady who hosted the show, rang yesterday asking if I could come in tomorrow to do another show, and then meet her manager to discuss doing a regular slot.

I said I'd love to - and I'm now wondering what to talk about!

(Ready, Fire, Aim anyone?)

It's just a small local radio station. I can't get any details from them about their demographic to work out what would resonate with them or what would help them. It might only be 30,000 listenership (and I've no idea how they come up with those numbers!).

In future, I won't have to drive in but could do the calls from home (with my nice mic that I got for Christmas and have barely used).

The beauty is that it's professionally produced and I get a copy. I'll shove it on Soundcloud and maybe get it transcribed, and maybe cut into smaller chunks.

I'll drop the recording into the forum somewhere.

FYI: This is NOT a lead gen play for me. I have other plans to grow my business. I've no intention of being the front-man of a digital marketing agency. I just talk a lot and it seems to help people every now and then.

May I ask:

What posts/threads of mine have helped you the most, and why?

What do you think I should talk about, and why?

Basically, what little nuggets have helped you?

EDIT:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The first steps for a small business when starting off.

What to do in your first year...
- How early to use Adwords and why
- How to approach the online side of things
- Websites, SEO, Social Media, etc for the average small/medium business
- What is needed, how much to expect to pay, what normal results look like

I built my uncle a website in Ireland and he thought people would just start calling from day 1 with zero future effort or input. There is a lot of confusion on how the internet works.

Chances are that will resonate with the most listeners and get people interested.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the great replies guys. I need to digest them more because there's definitely good insights in there.

We did the recording this morning, and then had a great chat with the audio guy, and with the radio station manager afterwards.

I don't know what to label this chat. I've gone with a pretty bland one at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Here's the link:

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
cool ! Well, the obvious answer is to ask their listeners. Ask them to email/facebook them with questions.

As far as my fav. post/topic is hard, you have posted so much value here that is is more a sum on many posts that finally "clicked" in my head, I would make it like a story so they get hooked and turn in next episode. Just a suggestion.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I started LOLing when she mentioned "super unconscious mind".

Your speaking skills have come along a long way Andy. Maybe look into getting a weekly section in one of the national newspapers.

Are you getting many customers from these types of interviews?

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
FYI: This is NOT a lead gen play for me. I have other plans to grow my business. I've no intention of being the front-man of a digital marketing agency. I just talk a lot and it seems to help people every now and then.

Fair enough. No-one who's been on this forum for any time at all will be surprised at that.

However this WILL raise your profile, you might be able to charge higher rates for your offerings than someone unknown. You will be seen to be an expert, because you are a radio personality now :D You might not use this to grow your business directly, but it may surely offers you more leverage somehow?

It's good that your own email address is being given out, that gives you creative control which seems like a good thing.

Go Andy!

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Take calls from listeners, maybe help them with thier questions or businesses, get questions and topics from them beforehand if you can

I agree, except that I think taking live calls is fraught with danger unless you're REALLY good at handling any nutters that phone in.

This is brilliant Andy, it's so good to watch someone building their reputation like this.
Thanks for posting the link (I'm listening to it right now).

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Take calls from listeners, maybe help them with thier questions or businesses, get questions and topics from them beforehand if you can, choose a thing in the news perhaps business news, and then evaluate it and help people to learn from the success or mistake of that news piece, say like this week Elon musks rocket failure. Just some ideas to keep you from running out of topics, not that you will, people love to just hear any story so can just tell yours for the week what you learned what you did etc.

As for your number one piece of advice, I'm not sure how to summarise it, but if you combined the exact match button, with the already falling fruit analogy, and the landing pages don't convert people do advice you've basically covered it all and sold every small business owner on Adwords and how to use it. I still don't use adwords but I passed your advice on to my cousin and he's made his dad's business explode

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
Information and viewpoints that only you can bring to the table with the combination of different life experience you've had. A story of an efficiently run business you've worked in, for example, and a comparison to a badly run one

The small tidbits of insight are the real gold to interviews imo - I bet the person being interviewed doesn't even realise it as they're telling personal stories of past encounters.

I tend to listen to interviews with a leeching mindset trying to gain from the interviewees experience. I've always got some niggling issue that needs solved and watching interviews of people who've dealt with a similar situation sometimes give me insights on changing the way I think/the questions I ask myself

EDIT: stories and parable type thingies like your 'slow down' video. They're easier to remember and share to people and friends - because of their entertainment value. Andy Black's story is what my brain comes up with when I think about how my workload is overwhelming me, which is pretty powerful

Last edited:

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece

what does this mean?

also i am a newbie here and what i get from your posts is your concern to change peoples mind to the better. the people going to hear you are general population.maybe play the card of mind changing advocacy a lot . show them the right way to make entrepreuner decissions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.