The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ok, I took the BLOG plunge

traderjphx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 30, 2007
Phoenix, Az
So I took some time over the holidays to creat a new blog. I didn't think it would be as difficult as it was, but I had to learn about Wordpress and how to customize what they call the Theme. My idea was to create an "open" site where people could post their gripes! This way, visitors would create new content without me having to do it all.

It is called today's gripe (http://www.todaysgripe.com).

I had read about all the other monetized blogs out there, so I put in advertiser links to "Stress Relief" type products and/or services. Hopefully, I can add more advertisers as the site grows. Most advertisers want to see a minimum number of page views, which I obviously don't have yet since the site is so new.

What took time was trying to find plug-ins that would control spam and allow anyone to post a topic on my blog. I finally found some and I think I have them set-up properly. We'll see how this works. So, if anyone here has something to gripe about, please post!

Thanks.

P.S. If you post a gripe, I left the option of having your "post name" link to your website (if you have one). You can use posts to create link-backs to your respective websites to help with search engines.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Good luck with your blog! I like the idea :)

Just a suggestion. You should check the main font color, it shows dark-gray so it's difficult to read with a black background. I'm using Firefox if that helps.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I like the concept, but Jorge is correct, it is difficult to read. I had to highlight the text in order to read it. Overall, I think this site has a lot of potential.

traderjphx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 30, 2007
Phoenix, Az
Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried fixing the color problem. In Explorer, it looks fine. I just had not tested it in Firefox. I got the body fixed so the white background shows. I still have some more learning to do using the Theme.

Tom, sorry about not hosting with you. I just followed the advice on a couple of Wordpress forums. Once I am more comfortable with all this, I'll consider transfering.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried fixing the color problem. In Explorer, it looks fine. I just had not tested it in Firefox. I got the body fixed so the white background shows. I still have some more learning to do using the Theme.

Tom, sorry about not hosting with you. I just followed the advice on a couple of Wordpress forums. Once I am more comfortable with all this, I'll consider transfering.

Haha just giving you a hard time!!!! If you decide to switch, I will give first month free and free domain ;-)

Thanks,
Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

Rufus Quail

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2008
I wish I had thought of this. I took someone's advice and highlighted the text to read it.

They are all good gripes. Mr. Gripe is right on. I hope the text problem gets fixed.

Keep griping! :cuss:

Last edited:

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
The design is pretty clunky... I don't know what that huge black bar is doing separating your content from your sidebar, while your content falls off into your background. It visually forces people out of your site. Check out a site like http://www.waiterrant.net/ for a similar setup but a very user-friendly interface. And definitely put the "post your rant" link above your RSS links in the sidebar...and larger. You want to primarily encourage people who interact, not passive subscribers.

Rufus Quail

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2008
When I added comments, I was redirected to a page that required that I type in a code. I don't understand the need for that. It's just an encumbrance.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

In Safari (Mac) it still views as a black background with gray lettering, hard to read. I did try it in Firefox and it has a white back ground and black text.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
When I added comments, I was redirected to a page that required that I type in a code. I don't understand the need for that. It's just an encumbrance.

In most blogs it keeps out spam robots

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I love the site, and I'll write you some content later. (Loving the link-back feature!) Let's hope you get some good, stimulating content like Ofuzi!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats, I really like the domain name too.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
congrats, great site. You've solved the toughest challenge in blogging...getting a constant flow of decent content.

I predict your site will be a success.

I'd suggest targeting your ads more to a gossip mindset rather than a webmaster crowd. Here's a suggestion that may work for you:

http://www.glammedia.com/publishers/glam_publisher_network/

:eusa_clap:

Rufus Quail

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2008
Can you do anything to improve your blog's search results? I forgot the url. I searched for "daily gripe" and didn't find yours among the top results.

Just curious. Thanks.

traderjphx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 30, 2007
Phoenix, Az
Thank you everyone for all your great suggestions. I am trying to implement them. One great tool I did come across is this;

www.browsrcamp.com

It is supposed to help you "see" your website thru the "eyes" of a MAC/Safari user. Keep the suggestions coming.

As for the search engines, I have submitted a site-map. I did notice once you submit a new website, it usually takes about 90 days to get listed. I think one way to speed up the process would be to pay an SEO company. I will be researching them and see what I come up with.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Hey, I wouldn't pay for a SEO company. The best way to get listed in search engines is to add meta tags and a meta description to your html. Place links in your sidebar, trade links with other people, try and get articles submitted to social sites. Then wait and your rankings in search engines should increase.

Good luck,

Andrew

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Submit to technorati, digg, stumbleupon, etc. and you should get listed in no time. I usually get blogs indexed in about a week.

I have read in some SEO forums that google doesn't care about the meta's but they never hurt.

Depending on your wordpress version you could also install a SEO plugin like this one:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah meta info isn't as important as it used to be but I would be sure to include a nice meta description and properly describe your site, my meta description is: Lyved is about life, world news, success, inspiration, dreams, goals, people, and almost anything else.

As for the site I mentioned in the previous post, it's pretty good. I tested it with my site, it got a few things wrong but had lots of info.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.