The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

NO MORE "Law Of Attraction"

Anything related to matters of the mind

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
This of course, is related to not taking action.

but the popularity of Napoleon Hill's 'Think And Grow Rich' and the book 'The Secret' has a major part to play in this.

There are too many entrepreneurs that get caught up in the Idea that visualizing and thinking about your dream everyday will manifest it into existence.

It's all over Twitter, it's all over Instagram videos, talk shows, etc. And that's the problem.

too many people believe that the universe will just give you the right time to 'manifest' your goal, so they do the regular things and wait.

there are over 100 million copies of napoleon hill's think and grow rich, 30 million copies of the secret, and many other 'self-help' books.

what I'm saying isn't uncommon, but I feel like people need a reminder nowadays. We already have the right things we need, pick a good business model, use CENTS, you don't even have to come up with your own, what works for others is already proof that there is a market for it.

NOW FOCUS. Drop the instagram, mental masturbation, the netflix, going out every friday, browsing reddit, all the artificial dopamine and distractions that limit your ability to sit down and do something for more than 10 minutes at a time, and get to work. Just show up, every day. that's all it takes, that's the "secret" - actually taking action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tilos

Process > Results
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 11, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK

but the popularity of Napoleon Hill's 'Think And Grow Rich' and the book 'The Secret' has a major part to play in this.

There are too many entrepreneurs that get caught up in the Idea that visualizing and thinking about your dream everyday will manifest it into existence.

It's all over Twitter, it's all over Instagram videos, talk shows, etc. And that's the problem.

too many people believe that the universe will just give you the right time to 'manifest' your goal, so they do the regular things and wait.

there are over 100 million copies of napoleon hill's think and grow rich, 30 million copies of the secret, and many other 'self-help' books.

what I'm saying isn't uncommon, but I feel like people need a reminder nowadays. We already have the right things we need, pick a good business model, use CENTS, you don't even have to come up with your own, what works for others is already proof that there is a market for it.

NOW FOCUS. Drop the instagram, mental masturbation, the netflix, going out every friday, browsing reddit, all the artificial dopamine and distractions that limit your ability to sit down and do something for more than 10 minutes at a time, and get to work. Just show up, every day. that's all it takes, that's the "secret" - actually taking action.

This post speaks volumes. Five years ago, I was introduced to The Law of Attraction, and I was hooked. I watched a lot of YouTube Videos -- Abraham Hicks, The Secret, and Think and Grow Rich. I also researched on making a Vision Board and using Affirmations on a sheet of paper.

I cut out pictures from tons of magazines on how much I want to achieve. I said the affirmation and wrote down my goals. I mean, it was "easy" because I had to visualize what I needed to do.

The realization came to me like a ton of bricks is that it takes work to achieve certain goals. So I started to read more, and listen to podcasts to make my life go over that "mental hump". Still, nothing.

Right now, I truly believe in having goals yet you have to take little steps and not rely on a picture on the wall. That's been my experience and I'm glad I found out sooner than later.

Thanks for sharing. This is a great reminder.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

but the popularity of Napoleon Hill's 'Think And Grow Rich'
Have you read T&GR? If so, did you skip over the part about "Organized Planning", "Decision" and "Persistence"? Napoleon Hill would never have said:

visualizing and thinking about your dream everyday will manifest it into existence.
Of course it won't. But before you can take action, you MUST visualize what it is you're going to do. Napoleon's point is that actions STEM FROM one's THINKING. If your thinking is messed up, then you won't take action. And if you do take action, you won't take the right action. You won't stick with it, and so on. All these are mindset problems.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
@Tilos, @Telamon25346

Excuses, excuses and excuses. All those are excuses. Period.

There is only one root cause: people themselves.

Failure has nothing to do with the Law of Attraction or T&GR.
How many people read the same books and are successful?

It is damn time to stop blaming external things.

Accountability.

Stop Blaming Others And Start Taking Responsibility

McDrummerSLR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jul 20, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
True to a point; thinking with no action I believe falls into the category of action faking. It's incredibly easy to get caught up in and be content with living in the fantasy of the goal instead of actually living it. Saw a lot of that in people during flight training for example, other folks would be super content with the idea of going to the airlines but be way behind on studying and flying, thus crippling their ability to actually get there.

That being said, combining the visualization of the goal with actions to get to said goal is a completely different story. I suspect some folks who read the book get a little too comfortable purely visualizing things.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
You can combine visualisation with action.

You look at mass religions the most effective form of behavior modification program implemented for thousands of years.

Do Right things-heaven and paradise.
Do Wrong things-Hell Fire.

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa
Have you read T&GR? If so, did you skip over the part about "Organized Planning", "Decision" and "Persistence"? Napoleon Hill would never have said:

Of course it won't. But before you can take action, you MUST visualize what it is you're going to do. Napoleon's point is that actions STEM FROM one's THINKING. If your thinking is messed up, then you won't take action. And if you do take action, you won't take the right action. You won't stick with it, and so on. All these are mindset problems.

Agreed, I read all three. Taking ACTION is a central theme. To sit and visualize means nothing.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas

yes, this makes perfect sense, in order to know what to do you have to think and plan it out first. thing is people tone down helpful advice like this, and blow the meaningless stuff out of proportion, it frustrates me sometimes.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
True to a point; thinking with no action I believe falls into the category of action faking. It's incredibly easy to get caught up in and be content with living in the fantasy of the goal instead of actually living it. Saw a lot of that in people during flight training for example, other folks would be super content with the idea of going to the airlines but be way behind on studying and flying, thus crippling their ability to actually get there.

That being said, combining the visualization of the goal with actions to get to said goal is a completely different story. I suspect some folks who read the book get a little too comfortable purely visualizing things.
Yeah, It's like you need to strike a balance between both of them, not too much of the other.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

This is because it has become part of your realm. I never see any of these on my feeds.

If you read these in isolation:

“You become what you think about.”– Earl Nightingale

"What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.” – Buddha

“Whatever Your Mind Can Conceive and Believe, It Can Achieve.” – Napoleon Hill

Then you can con yourself into believing that all you need to do is 'think and grow rich' but all this means is that we work towards the things we dwell on the most.

The operative word here being WORK. Whether that is slowly, step by step or all in to the exclusion of everything else.

You crave a new phone? Games console or car? How long before you have that possession in your hands? You had the thought, created the intention, made a plan and executed.

Pretty much all you desires can be achieved in the same way. Just the bigger they are the longer it will take and the harder the road. All you need to do is focus on that one thing and continually work towards it not quitting until it is achieved.

3 Feet From Gold

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 6, 2020
Australia

I think it's common sense. Literally speaking, you can't ''think'' something into existence. The problem isn't ''The Law of Attraction'' or ''Visualisation''. The problem is an unrealistic reliance on them. Humans are wired to seek the path of least resistance. We all want shortcuts. We don't want to do the hard work. So what do people do? They hear about the law of attraction and then suddenly think without all the hard work, without the ''process'', that they can have wealth and success. Those people are destined to fail and experience a life of mediocrity.

I actually like the law of attraction, visualisation etc. Why? Because it trains your subconscious mind to be wired towards success. Mindset is the most IMPORTANT of all. If you have a weak mindset, you will never experience riches.

A lot of people simply do not understand how powerful the subconscious mind is. If you trick your brain into believing something long enough, it will start to believe that certain things are true, even if they aren't. In fact, the law of attraction is not some BS ''pseudo-science'', there has been a lot of scientific research on it. If you read the book ''Psychocybernetics'' (which i HIGHLY recommend), you will see for yourself.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
This is because it has become part of your realm. I never see any of these on my feeds.

If you read these in isolation:

“You become what you think about.”– Earl Nightingale

"What you think, you become. What you feel, you attract. What you imagine, you create.” – Buddha

“Whatever Your Mind Can Conceive and Believe, It Can Achieve.” – Napoleon Hill

Then you can con yourself into believing that all you need to do is 'think and grow rich' but all this means is that we work towards the things we dwell on the most.

The operative word here being WORK. Whether that is slowly, step by step or all in to the exclusion of everything else.

You crave a new phone? Games console or car? How long before you have that possession in your hands? You had the thought, created the intention, made a plan and executed.

Pretty much all you desires can be achieved in the same way. Just the bigger they are the longer it will take and the harder the road. All you need to do is focus on that one thing and continually work towards it not quitting until it is achieved.

I'm actually a huge fan of earl nightingale's work, he quotes napoleon hill many times too. I have a rule not to make an opinion of something until after I've seen both sides, I've read the secret and think and grow rich, but I like the practical representation that earl nightingale puts it in.

I'd say the best version of this is bob proctors you were born rich. It's free on youtube in parts, but it really explains the psychology and process behind how humans act based on their belief systems and thoughts.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
I think it's common sense. Literally speaking, you can't ''think'' something into existence. The problem isn't ''The Law of Attraction'' or ''Visualisation''. The problem is an unrealistic reliance on them. Humans are wired to seek the path of least resistance. We all want shortcuts. We don't want to do the hard work. So what do people do? They hear about the law of attraction and then suddenly think without all the hard work, without the ''process'', that they can have wealth and success. Those people are destined to fail and experience a life of mediocrity.

I actually like the law of attraction, visualisation etc. Why? Because it trains your subconscious mind to be wired towards success. Mindset is the most IMPORTANT of all. If you have a weak mindset, you will never experience riches.

A lot of people simply do not understand how powerful the subconscious mind is. If you trick your brain into believing something long enough, it will start to believe that certain things are true, even if they aren't. In fact, the law of attraction is not some BS ''pseudo-science'', there has been a lot of scientific research on it. If you read the book ''Psychocybernetics'' (which i HIGHLY recommend), you will see for yourself.

I love psychocybernetics, and bob proctor's work is in a similar field as well. I only feel like the twist social media and hustle culture has put on it is like "if you believe it will happen, one day the perfect time will come for you to set everything up and go." but in reality, you have to work towards it and you definitely aren't gonna take a straight line to success, it's a beeline of failing and learning, but then acting on it.

3 Feet From Gold

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 6, 2020
Australia
I love psychocybernetics, and bob proctor's work is in a similar field as well. I only feel like the twist social media and hustle culture has put on it is like "if you believe it will happen, one day the perfect time will come for you to set everything up and go." but in reality, you have to work towards it and you definitely aren't gonna take a straight line to success, it's a beeline of failing and learning, but then acting on it.

Absolutely true! You don't wait for opportunities, you create them. It's also very important to have the right entrepreneurial mindset. For example, someone might think they have a great idea, but it may severely violate the CENTS framework, resulting in an unsuccessful business. Furthermore, a lot of people tend to chase after money, instead of focussing on creating something that attracts money.

''How do I make the most money?'' = wrong mindset

''How do I provide value to humanity?'' = right mindset

Give first. Take second.

Soundmaxx

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 25, 2018
Uk

I totally agree and let me put it right.
If you want to see results you have to apply the ''LAW OF ACTION'' instead ;)

TheGreek

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 27, 2020
Greece
Positive thinking is powerful and has helped me in difficult times. We can't take action on anything if there is so much negativity. However, there is real positivity and delusional positivity.

Really positive persons have no fear or the ability to act despite their fears. It's a healthy thing. Visualization and affirmations can help you to feel better in the short and long-term. In my opinion, there is no reason to do these things over a few minutes per day, and people can be positive even without them. Just have the courage to what you are afraid to do, but it's fine to use visualization as a tool.

Delusional positivity is when you trick yourself into feeling good or fake a positive attitude. It is not helpful and does not change anything. If people can't take action on something, they are too afraid of the activity. Laziness and procrastination are fear-based states. People that pretend to feel good but can't work or take action about anything, they are not positive persons. The law of attraction will not work for them, whether they believe in it or not.

My point is that some people use the law of attraction as a tool, but others use it as a distraction and excuse. If someone says that you must visualize and say affirmations all day to make money, he is a scammer that tries to sell a few law of attraction products.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Get your mind right on the inside, and the actions on the outside will also get right.

Both are needed. Don't Think and Grow Rich .... Think and Then Act (the "rich" would come later).

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I feel like it would take a book to put down my thoughts on this. Not worth it though.

I believe that we are creators and that we create the world around us... all of it. I don't actually like the title of the book. It is not really thinking that moves us forward, but our perception.

Move in the direction of what you want and enjoy with the correct perception and things will fall into place.

I realize in this world that everyone feels planning is so important. I do very little of that... just plug along in the way that I want to go.

Works for me.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The bridge between your mind and reality is language. Its called logic. Logic has a mathematical structure. Its the only other discipline where there are "proofs". The other sciences have theories supported by evidence.

Most thinking is accompanied by a word. You almost cant think without a sentence or word attached to our discursive thinking. You have to be willing to model your own thinking and find the fallacies and biases in them.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%