The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Law of Attraction

Anything related to matters of the mind

KKOPPI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 15, 2019
AMSTERDAM
The concept of this phenomenon isn't really praised in TMF so it must be fair to give it a new definition.

I reckon it is fair to distinguish between the faulty and the correct LOA. I loved how in one of his videos, @MJ DeMarco advocates for PULLING instead of PUSHING. In my definition, that IS the Law of Attraction ("the make 'em come to you strategy").

I figured this is not only and exclusively applicable to business, but to every facet of life. The desperate boy in high school failed to get the hot girl because he pushed to get her. As soon as the boy matured, changed his mindset, and lived a life of execution, he naturally attracted the hot girls and they even fought over him.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great point, but my definition of the PULL prioritizes the action over the thinking. Both are important but I think the LOA failures focus on the thinking and not much else.

If most folks interpret and apply LOA as "think and grow rich" then it doesn't matter much what the real definition is. My standpoint is based on how it is used, or misused.

KAA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 6, 2018
Virginia, USA
Great point, but my definition of the PULL prioritizes the action over the thinking. Both are important but I think the LOA failures focus on the thinking and not much else.

If most folks interpret and apply LOA as "think and grow rich" then it doesn't matter much what the real definition is. My standpoint is based on how it is used, or misused.
I think the LOA can be valuable in changing someone's mindset to motivate them to take action. For example, if you have self-esteem issues (which, as a woman, I assure you can be a challenge being in business) you may not feel worthy of success. This can subliminally prevent you from taking the actions necessary for success.

If you spend time visualizing your life as you want it to be so that it starts to feel normal and becomes your expectation, it can make it easier to take action because it will align with the new way you view yourself. I know it sounds like BS, but this is exactly the process I used to quit smoking after many years of addiction. I visualized my life as a non-smoker so many times and so specifically that it felt wrong when I did smoke. This motivated me to take different actions that aligned with the new way I pictured living my life as a non-smoker.

If you visualize yourself being successful and taking the actions to make you successful, I believe it will reprogram your mind. You will then WANT to take take action that will align with being successful because that will be your new normal based on your new view of yourself and your expectations for your life. Unfortunately, many people just use LOA to think about stuff in a generic way and don't use it as a tool to change themselves.

KKOPPI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 15, 2019
AMSTERDAM
Unfortunately, many people just use LOA to think about stuff in a generic way and don't use it as a tool to change themselves.

It's on the same level as all those hundreds of motivational videos we see around. No inherently wrong information but indeed, misused...

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
I've come to realize that we need to stop complaining about the things that are under our control and that the only way to get what we want is to take action. So obviously, if you want the hot girl, you go and get the hot girl...after all...people praise confidence.

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
Personally, I don't buy the "sit-down and day-dream all-day" version of this so-called law.

I like to see it from a more practical perspective in the sense that if I can expand my mind to entertain what I want and put action behind it, I can have it.

So when I see a toy I want (e.g. car that costs $xxx,xxx), instead of wishing, I say to myself "WHY NOT, I CAN HAVE IT", all it takes is: product_price * no_of_copies needed to meet the cost of the item.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I can back that up. People can be too much in their heads and not enough in the physical and taking action. I think we call that mental masturbating in here. Along with Visualization it's purpose is to get you motivated to take action, yet most people forget the action part. There's a lot of gymnastics of the mind. You can dream all day about the future.

The law of attraction usually works for me in the sense I have to do something before it actually reaches success. For example: You see yourself doing something, your motivated to do it, you do it, and every step in the process daily gets you to the future. I notice if I start talking, automatically people listen. Usually it is showing that you have some sort of knowledge or solve a problem they gravitate to you, because you stand out from what they're used to hearing or seeing.

Phylosopha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 13, 2018
South Africa
To me after reading MJ's books i call it the theory of attraction because no mathematics to back it. Thanks MJ.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,028%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Yeah - the law of attraction started off as a half-decent idea: think about what you want, and you will attract it.

In theory it’s not something “special” or some mystical “law” that only select few elite people know about. It’s simply FOCUS on something, and it is likely you will recognise more opportunities and take more action towards that goal since it is at the frontier of your FOCUS/RAS (Reticular Activation System).

With that being said - the concept has been turned into some woo-woo shit where people believe that if they really just think about it it will come to them. That’s sad. Life’s doesn’t work that way.

Law (theory) of attraction I feel is being used much more to monetise the people that DO believe it. Look up the yt channels that propagate this bs and you won’t be hard pressed to find masses of pseudoscience designed to keep you “hooked” to this stuff because it’s just mental masturbation. Look at all the books on it as well.

LOA attracts the same crowd that believes in star signs signifying their personalities and life decisions. It’s just about as credible as well.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
Law of attr-action. The word itself has the meaning!

To attract, you must act!

Law works only when you act.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
My humble take is that when you set your mind towards something, in a positive way, unconsciously you start taking steps towards that direction. It makes the goal more familiar and achievable so you indirectly move down that path easier. It is at least something pulling from inside aiming the compass.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.