The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Website: Pleben.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
I have been working with Tom at aptohosting.com to create a new website. I am not sure how much detail I can provide without violating the spirit and rules of this forum, since it is a commercial venture. I will say that I am looking for people who might be interested in helping to advance this venture. If you might be interested, PM me.

What I can definitely say is that the work and service I have received from Tom Cruz at aptohosting.com has been incredible. I came to them with an idea, and they ran with it. If I have MJs permission, I would be happy to provide more details but will refrain until I hear more. I would recommend Tom and Apto. I don't know how they compare on price but I can say that what I got was worth it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Re: New Website

Please do provide more details -- its great to see people putting their ideas to action!!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Yes please do post. the website itself will show his work!

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana

OK, so here is the deal:

The new website is Pleben.com. It will be ready to "go live" on or about Feb 5th which is one month prior to anticipated. It is a social network which will have a unique business model. First of all, it is subscription based and priced at $25 per year. This will do several things:
1. It will allow revenue to be made from day #1. I won't have to find creative ways to create revenue like selling out users or marketing to them.
2. It will allow Pleben.com to be totally ad-free. I have been to many websites recently where there are so many ads that the content is difficult to find.
3. It will encourage serious social networkers. It is unlikely that people will just sign up to have an account and let it languish. This will likely keep the network smaller but more engaging.
4. Maybe security will be enhanced? Will an internet stalker want to spend money and create a paper trail when there are other free possibilities? Maybe.

My plans with the site are to encourage positive growth and development of the members while having fun. Twenty percent of revenues will be used for philanthropic purposes. Twenty percent of revenues will be used for sweepstakes like prizes (no purchase necessary). When the site hits one million subscribers, I plan to begin giving away $1 million prizes. Also, if there is ever a large investment of $50 million or greater (or an IPO), then half of that money will be used for prizes to reward the subscribers who created the content and made the site valuable in the first place.

Further, I am estimating that 20% will be used for marketing and research toward new business opportunities, 20% for website enhancements and maintenance, with 20% left over for taxes/profits. Right now, I will not take a salary but am seeking to grow the site and create some buzz. If anyone wants to go play around on the site, feel free. There is no cost yet until Feb 5th. Don't spend a lot of time making a profile because I will end up deleting it when the 5th comes. I will even be paying for my own subscription as well as my two teenage daughters.

Finally, if anyone is interested in becoming an associate/moderator, PM me. I am looking for one individual from each of the 50 states as well as the provinces of Canada. Plus, I would be interested in having one person from each country (I see Mr K is from New Zealand). Again, if interested, PM me, and I will give some details as to what I would be looking for from you and what is in it for you.

I cannot say enough good things about Tom at aptohosting.com. I would encourage anyone who might be considering something web-based to give him a call and see what he can do for you. Check out Pleben.com to see his work. I would appreciate any comments or questions that anyone might have. Thank you for your time and thank you MJ for allowing me to post.:thankyousign:

Think

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jan 18, 2008

Thank You for your invitation to Pleben.com. The Site has a very nice fresh clean feel to it. The concept is understandable. I am curious as to how you determined the fee for registration. In addition, a considerable amount of Marketing will be required to achieve a successful launch. What are your plans with respect to this aspect of the Business?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

I just checked Apto's domain checker.... I would register foodservicesalesmen immediately. Redirect.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana

Think,
The price was basically just picked out of the air. I think it is enough that it is worth the effort but not enough that it is out of reach of many people currently on social network sites. As to marketing, that will be the most difficult aspect since I am bootstrapping it. I want to get some revenue before I spend a ton. Currently, I am having business cards made with the penguin on the right side and the name of the site with words saying "A place for chillin' where you can win a million".

The other part of the current marketing plan is to generate some sort of buzz. I would like to do some of this using the associates/moderators the details of which I will reserve for those interested. I have also seen some info about article site (including threads on this forum) and will look into that avenue as well. If you have any brilliant, low-cost, ideas feel free to share.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

I don't see anywhere on the site where it tells me it's $25 a year, maybe it's in the billing section after I start to sign up, but if I don't see how much, or even catch that there is a cost until after I've committed my info, I'm not a happy camper. I have not used other sites that have done that for that very reason.

Did I just miss it?

It is a nice looking site.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Is pleben down for upgrades? It never actually loads.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana

Allthingz,
You did not miss it. All of the text has not been completed yet. Absolutely, the cost will be spelled out. I also suspect the text for the FAQ has not been loaded yet since Apto is still working on some of the other coding issues.

Mtnman,
Don't know what to say since it has always loaded fine for me as well. Sorry

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina

Site look really good. "clean" and not overcrowded. I like it....hope the venture works out for you and great job Tom & Apto!

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

Allthingz,
You did not miss it. All of the text has not been completed yet. Absolutely, the cost will be spelled out. I also suspect the text for the FAQ has not been loaded yet since Apto is still working on some of the other coding issues.

My apologies. Good luck, it's a nice looking site.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

Site look really good. "clean" and not overcrowded. I like it....hope the venture works out for you and great job Tom & Apto!

Thank you and everyone else that had kind words about our work! We really appreciate the feedback and we will put the same effort forth for anyone else that needs help getting their website on the fast lane!!!

Thanks,
Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
The site does look great! It's going to be exciting to see how the site does.

BTW Tom, does the girl on your page who you have pictured for the "live support online" really work with you? If so is she single? :)

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
The site does look great! It's going to be exciting to see how the site does.

BTW Tom, does the girl on your page who you have pictured for the "live support online" really work with you? If so is she single? :)

Haha unfortunately not!!! It cost me $8 to "buy" her from a picture stock site!!!!!!!

Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Nice website! ;)

Good luck!! You should also think about donating $1M to TFLTM members Lol

Jakko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 2, 2007
Kidgas, I agree with everyone that your site looks nice. Very interesting concept too. I have an idea that you might wanna use. Instead of marketing the subscription as $25 per year, you might wanna say less than $3 per month or something similar because people don't like big numbers especially money when it is out of their pocket.

Camski, your forum looks good. But when I clicked on one of the subforum, google ads banner expanded. Just wondering if you know about it.

longview

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 29, 2008
Kidgas,
I see you can accept members 13 years old and up.

I remember reading an article online about providing services to minors, but I can't find it again. I think it was in relation to virtual worlds, but it still applicable.
The closest I could find was:
http://www.e-consultancy.com/news-b...ust-do-more-to-protect-thier-child-users.html

How are you addressing this issue?
I appreciate young kids are into the social networking sites and can form a large part of the membership, but are you asking for trouble, even with the $25 barrier?

regards.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Kidgas,

Do you think you should see that site with members before it went live? It would suck to have someone sign up and see like 5 other people there only. I was thinking that before you went live you should give members of the fastlane free membership in return for creating quality profiles.

I'm not saying this for a freebie, but if I went to the site and clicked around and didn't see anything, I wouldn't sign up.

I also agree with the above post that pricing should be broken down to the monthly rate so it looks cheaper. $1.99/mo sounds good especially if you give away a $250 prize at the end of February.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
To answer the various questions:
1. Pleben comes from the Latin plebe with an -n (like American) so it does have to do with common people. The idea is that the site will be giving back to common folk through charitable contributions and the possibility of winning cash prizes. 50% of the big payday will go to cash prizes for the common folk. So if Microsoft makes a $250 million investment, 125 $1m prizes will be handed out.
2. I know about the big number issue...on the home page will read, "for less than 7 cents a day"
3. The subscription is intended to be a barrier albeit a soft one. Ideally, parental permission will have to be granted. Of course, dishonest people will try to skirt the system. Thank you for the link...I will read it later this am.
4. Populating the system will come from associate/moderator for the different geographic locales (states, provinces, or countries). They will have to pay but can earn a commission. So I will be giving back to those who make good quality content. That will be the only layer to get it started. It will not be MLM. If you are interested in becoming an associate/moderator, you can PM me.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Kidgas:

I love this idea, and I am eager to see you succeed with it. I think there is loads of potential here.

How do you plan on selling people on paying a subscription fee to something that they could get for free through other venues - Myspace, Facebook, the Fastlane...?

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Merkin,
The selling points are:
1. Totally ad-free. I will not exploit your info to merchandise you.
2. Heart strings. 20% of revenue goes to charity. And if that doesn't get you...
3. Prizes. 20% of revenues go to sweepstakes type prizes (no purchase necessary). First contest is for $1000 (there will be more than one) when Pleben.com hits 1000 members. When we hit 1 million members, I will give away $1 million prizes (between 3 and 5 of them for each 1 million members). So your odds of winning $1 million becomes 1 out of about 250,000. Compare to McDonalds monopoly 1 out of 180 million or eg the Hoosier lottery 1 out of 12 million to win the Jackpot.

If neither of these 3 get them, they can stay with the free sites and enjoy the ads.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
3. It will encourage serious social networkers. It is unlikely that people will just sign up to have an account and let it languish. This will likely keep the network smaller but more engaging

I think I may be a little confused, then. It would seem that the subscribers you are looking for in “serious social networkers” would be in direct contrast to people whose main perk in signing up is a 1/250,000 chance at winning money. Besides no ads and feeling good about charity, what else is in it for the subscriber?

Have you stopped to ask yourself if you were to stumble upon a website like the one you created if you would sign up and purchase a membership?

I apologize if it seems I am cutting your idea apart – that isn’t my intention, and again, I am sorry if it comes off that way.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
If neither of these 3 get them, they can stay with the free sites and enjoy the ads.

You may not have intended this the way that I read it.....but this does not sound like a very good attitude. You are now in the business of serving people - better start thinking that way.

I really like the concept you have come up with here. Everyone loves a chance to win $$$.

My problem upon first visiting your site is that I did not get a good understanding of the concept right off the bat. Aside from the comments off to the right - odds of winning/odds of giving - I did not see any indication of my potential to win a prize. I would expect to be hit in the face with 'WIN $$$' because that is what would get me excited. Would be great if you could aslo indicate When the first chance to win would be.

Perhaps you want to add that slogan you mentioned.... Chillin and Winnin.... right at the top, in the header?

Also, people who are interested in the chartitable side of things are going to want to know where the $$ is going. I feel very strongly about charitable giving but I also feel very strongly about where my dollars are spent (there is a whole separate thread about this somewhere).

Perhaps, you might want to partner up with one, or a few, specific charities. This would give your users a better feel AND you might be able to build up some synergy with those organizations - thus building your user base with some of their current supporters.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents.... I am certainly no web guru... but I am an extremely heavy user! :)

The very best of luck to you. I wish you great success!

Camski - if you haven't done it already, I would suggest starting a new thread for your venture.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
How will the users "decorate" their pages? I've noticed for myspace that there is no shortage of sites giving away page templates etc., and these have ads in them. You will have these ads on your site if people use them, which they're likely to do.

Do you have a page generator of sorts that allows the user to create their own unique look right in the system w/o having to go outside?

Maybe I don't fully grasp these social networking websites, do people have one on myspace and facebook too or do they tend to use one heavily? I guess I wonder what kind of draw it really takes to ask someone who has a social network established on one of these sites to switch, and in doing so ask their network to move with them.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Merkin,
I agree there is a bit of a discrepancy between numbers 1 and 2 vs number 3. Honestly, I did not feel that 1 and 2 would create enough draw to produce a viable business model. Hence, number 3 is what is offered to the subscriber. If there is something else to offer a participant in a social network, I have not come up with it. If there is something in particular that you might be looking for, I am certainly open to all suggestions.

Phlgrl,
Sorry about the wording of my comment. I agree it sounds bad, but that was not the intent. As mentioned to merk above, I have elected to focus on 3 things that might differentiate the site from the other free sites, of which there are many.

As to the concept, the complete text for the home page is not finished. Tom at Apto has the text but has been diligently working on other parts of the coding (about which I know nothing). I would also like to get some input from the subscribers as to which charities we might like to support prior to doing any partnering.

Again, I sincerely apologize for sounding flippant. That was not my intent. I know that there will be many people who will visit the site and not find it to their liking or interest. Finally, I want to thank you for your comments. They are more valuable than 2 cents would suggest.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Allthingz,
The decoration is a technical issue I know nothing about. I will have to refer to Tom at Apto on that. This is one of the reasons that I appreciate all the input and questions since I could not possibly think of every aspect on my own.

I, too, wonder what would cause one to change for one product or service to another. I'm just going out there and giving it a shot. This is definitely a work in progress. It's not about the end result, but the journey. I have learned much and hope to learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.