The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New tie down system

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
So I was outside the other day putting up my tie down straps and was like “damn I am tired of having to wind up the straps to keep them from getting tangled.” Then it occurred to me. What if there was a quick release self winding tie down strap? Similar to the seatbelt design. Double barrel with a hook design on both ends. Maybe even reuse the seatbelts from junker cars if they are still in good condition.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bod

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 5, 2020
Greensboro , NC
So I was outside the other day putting up my tie down straps and was like “damn I am tired of having to wind up the straps to keep them from getting tangled.” Then it occurred to me. What if there was a quick release self winding tie down strap? Similar to the seatbelt design. Double barrel with a hook design on both ends. Maybe even reuse the seatbelts from junker cars if they are still in good condition.
I know they exist, but I have never used them personally. Maybe there is room for improvement.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I know they exist, but I have never used them personally. Maybe there is room for improvement.
Definitely room for improvement. Damn ratchets I used the other day were maxed out in length. The self winding straps would be much longer and there would be no issue for length causing entanglement.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
This type of discussion is usually done on the inside. Be careful handing out your ideas.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I have something similar on my dolly. I'll see if I can find an online picture or just take one of my dolly.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Ok, I found it. Watch the video and it might help give you an idea. Disregard the Barney Miller music. For you young ones.... Barney Miller was a tv show back in the day.

Last edited:

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW

I'd rather have something like that for the garden hose. Personally, I don't have a problem rolling a strap up, it's hooking the strap and then making it tight or loose. But for rolling something up.... it's the dang hoses.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Oh yeah, I would like that. A tie down kind of like a seat belt. That hook on the end and then stretch it out and have that hook on the other end too. I'd pay $40-$50 for that....

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
What are you tying down? commercial truck loads? or fastening to small carts/wagons?
Commercial trucks can use it because it would have a high tensile strength due to the woven fabric and personal trucks could use it too. I do not believe you could get a vehicle out of the mud or snow with it because it would not be used as a ratcheting function.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'd be looking for something like this for just a regular tie down. When people move things in a trailer or in the back of their pickup they need a tie down. That's all I'd be interested in. You could make them in different strengths. Nowadays I just use bungie cords hooked to each other.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I'd be looking for something like this for just a regular tie down. When people move things in a trailer or in the back of their pickup they need a tie down. That's all I'd be interested in. You could make them in different strengths. Nowadays I just use bungie cords hooked to each other.
Woo hoo I got a customer! When I make it you will get the first one for free.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Woo hoo I got a customer! When I make it you will get the first one for free.

If its good, I know a few people who will buy one. If it's great and at a low enough cost, every race car/show car in this country has atleast 1 keeping it on/in the trailer and not rolling around. Most have 3-10 of them around the trailer.

Gib Berish

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 15, 2018
I'd rather have something like that for the garden hose. Personally, I don't have a problem rolling a strap up, it's hooking the strap and then making it tight or loose. But for rolling something up.... it's the dang hoses.
How 'bout extension cords? - Always a pain...

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
I use metal binder clips to keep them tidy. They can get messy/tangled if lose.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts