The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how to transform the system to sales | feedback needed

Marketing, social media, advertising

szalek

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 21, 2023
I am stuck. In middle of my journey I'm compeletely stuck. As some already know from the forum I was developing system. I had learnt how to code. I had started writing my saas platform in November. Yesterday was day when my 2 years self-improvment journey had reached the key moment. Yesterday i had realised that now its moment when my web application (saas business) is ready to go. I can still develop this and code all day but that have it makes zero sense. Why develop it if i don’t whether people will use it. Coding for me bacame easy. Now i have to leave my safe space and start making money from my system. I have to start my application on domain (exacly what to do on my progress thread) and my application can welcome first traffic.

What i had planed in my Planasy was

- develop a web application

- create marketing agency based on my web application

the main service I wanted to provide was to run advertisements for people thats why i had created web application because I need to have a place where I can place ads for my client.

Now my main problem is find answer to the question how to start selling. How to convince people that what they are being offered is worth their money. I have experience in marketing but is B2C how i have to switch on to B2B.

I want to have as many marketing channels as possible I already have ig fb I am going to start seo and linkedin. I have seen on the forum that people are sending cold emails or running start-up marketing services to people at very low or no start-up rates.

Now I don't really know what to do or what direction to take over the last almost five months when I wrote the application. My only goal at the time was to write it as quickly as possible, I really wanted to be in that place and say "I've finished what's next". But when I said those words I heard no response. That's why I'm now asking you "I'm done, how do I start selling, what do I do to get people to know me, what would you do in my position or what would you do in a similar situation".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
I am stuck. In middle of my journey I'm compeletely stuck. As some already know from the forum I was developing system. I had learnt how to code. I had started writing my saas platform in November. Yesterday was day when my 2 years self-improvment journey had reached the key moment. Yesterday i had realised that now its moment when my web application (saas business) is ready to go.
Firstly, kudos on maintaining that commitment and focus for 2 years. That alone tells me that, regardless of whatever path in life you choose, you will inevitably be successful at some point. You're already doing what 99% of the global population can't and won't.
I can still develop this and code all day but that have it makes zero sense. Why develop it if i don’t whether people will use it. Coding for me bacame easy. Now i have to leave my safe space and start making money from my system. I have to start my application on domain (exacly what to do on my progress thread) and my application can welcome first traffic.
Secondly, this is ultimately where most newer developers - especially those doing exactly what you're doing (e.g. creating a SAAS) - start getting hit with imposter syndrome, self-doubt, etc. You are correct: coding is a safe space for developers, and you will be forever stuck in it if you don't escape it, and move forward to the "business" side of running a SAAS.

the main service I wanted to provide was to run advertisements for people thats why i had created web application because I need to have a place where I can place ads for my client.

Now my main problem is find answer to the question how to start selling. How to convince people that what they are being offered is worth their money. I have experience in marketing but is B2C how i have to switch on to B2B.
This is excellent practice. You blueprinted what you were aiming to do, from start to finish, and how to get there. However, in regards to SAAS, your process was backwards. In the SAAS world, idea/market validation and capital (either in the form of money or time) are your two most important resources. You want to maximize them.

Basic SAAS Process:

1. You form an idea based on something you've seen that needs improved upon, or something brand new you believe the market would pay for.

2. You conduct market research on your idea. Ask questions. Take notes on your findings.

Examples

2a. Who has your audience (e.g. are you competing with Nike or Sketchers? Microsoft or the little guy next door?)
2b. What are they offering?
2c. Do you see any ways you can improve upon their offer? (avoid the "lowest price point" shtick. That's how you end up broke).
2d. Are people even paying for the service?

If the idea looks solid, you can confirm it's a solution people are paying for, then you move forward to the next step.

3. MVP (Minimum viable product)

This is single-handedly one of (if not the most important) aspects. All you're doing here is creating the most basic version of your app, showcasing its purpose and how it fulfills said purpose. You're not adding 100 features in this stage. Just what's required. Basic functionality and why it stands out.

So, for example, if you're creating an app that utilizes AI to streamline the process of changing image types (jpg to svg, etc.), your MVP would showcase precisely that: a basic AI-fueled app, streamlining the process of changing image types, and why your app is different. You can add the features later.

4. Once your MVP is ready, you deploy it for feedback. Send it to people in the industry you're targeting. Most people I know create basic social media profiles to correspond with the launch of their MVP. This part can be difficult as it typically requires you have some type of footing in the industry. A lot of people that have been in industries for decades aren't going to test an app from some random, so you genuinely have to give them a reason to test it.

It's imperative they test it and you collect their feedback because that feedback is ultimately what determines whether or not you deem it's worth further pursuing. This is the part where you allow people to test it, and outright ask "is this a solution you'd pay for?"

If not, figure out why. Make updates to your MVP. Again, don't spend months on it, but you need to spend enough time on it, and gather enough feedback with it, to determine if it's worth pursuing. Which leads to the final step...

5. If the feedback received is looking great, then you continue building from there. Try to get something launched ASAP, based off of your MVP, and then continue adding to it. Again, all of this being based on feedback.

If the feedback you receive is negative, then continue from there. What is your audience saying? Do they not like the UI? Is it difficult to read text? Or are they simply committed to the company/app they've been using for 30 years? You don't know until you ask.

Don't assume you know what your audience wants. ASK THEM.

People fear rejection. They shouldn't. Be thankful for it. Why? Because even if you release an app, and everyone tells you it's trash and you should stop trying, who cares? They just saved you countless hours you would've otherwise poured into an app that would've done nothing for you outside of cause you misery and frustration. Besides, guess what? When you finally create something that's a success, those same people will be begging to be involved.
I want to have as many marketing channels as possible I already have ig fb I am going to start seo and linkedin. I have seen on the forum that people are sending cold emails or running start-up marketing services to people at very low or no start-up rates.
Everything above said, yes to everything you've done so far. You want to maximize social media channels. But you also don't want to stretch yourself thin. Make your social channels on everything for branding sake (ensure you've secured names). Make sure all of your branding is universal across everything.

From there, pick a few platforms to focus on and build on those first. Preferably platforms you've had previous success with, or platforms targeted at your audience (e.g. if you're aiming for B2B, LinkedIn will probably be a big one for you).

I personally hate cold outreach and don't do it. But for app development, I would more than likely resort to cold outreach, depending on my position in the industry. In my current industry, I have 20+ years in it, therefore I would do absolutely 0 cold outreach as I already have a network. In almost any other industry, however, I have to do a ton.

And yes, once again: offering free/discounted services is a fantastic way to land some early clients to get some cash flow going, as well as collect feedback.

Reviews/feedback = one of the greatest forms, if not the greatest form, of social proof in existence. Prioritize gaining authority and social proof, even if you're working for a little less money at first.

(Of course, if you don't have to sacrifice your cash flow at first, then don't. This will really just depend on the types of clients/industries you encounter).
Now I don't really know what to do or what direction to take over the last almost five months when I wrote the application. My only goal at the time was to write it as quickly as possible, I really wanted to be in that place and say "I've finished what's next". But when I said those words I heard no response. That's why I'm now asking you "I'm done, how do I start selling, what do I do to get people to know me, what would you do in my position or what would you do in a similar situation".
Network. Network. Network. Content creation. Content creation. Content creation.

Those 6 things will be your biggest allies. Since your web app is finished, I'd run tests on it for integrity. Once it has passed basic tests, start creating content aiming at your app on LinkedIn, and as stated above, 1-2 other platforms. I'd create a spreadsheet with questions I want my first testers/users to answer (if they're willing). Have a way your clients can submit feedback 24/7.

Did a form just break, but you're taking a shit? Cool, doesn't matter, you still need to know about it ASAP. At this point, you basically want to be standing in the busiest intersection of the busiest city with a cowbell telling people about your app/service (but don't actually stand in traffic...).

You want people to see you doing SAAS things with your SAAS. You want people to see your offer and see why you're a badass. You want people to see why they should give you their money.

Cheers.

Last edited:

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
I am stuck. In middle of my journey I'm compeletely stuck. As some already know from the forum I was developing system. I had learnt how to code. I had started writing my saas platform in November. Yesterday was day when my 2 years self-improvment journey had reached the key moment. Yesterday i had realised that now its moment when my web application (saas business) is ready to go. I can still develop this and code all day but that have it makes zero sense. Why develop it if i don’t whether people will use it. Coding for me bacame easy. Now i have to leave my safe space and start making money from my system. I have to start my application on domain (exacly what to do on my progress thread) and my application can welcome first traffic.

Very Interesting!

szalek

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 21, 2023
Thank you very much for such an elaborate answer you have explained a lot to me. I need to print this out for myself and hang it above my desk. For me this is the most valuable message I have read on this forum.

Secondly, this is ultimately where most newer developers - especially those doing exactly what you're doing (e.g. creating a SAAS) - start getting hit with imposter syndrome, self-doubt, etc. You are correct: coding is a safe space for developers, and you will be forever stuck in it if you don't escape it, and move forward to the "business" side of running a SAAS.

Its what i exacly felt. My marketing mind was empty. It was very big problem to start thinking differently. I felt as if I had no purpose.

This is excellent practice. You blueprinted what you were aiming to do, from start to finish, and how to get there. However, in regards to SAAS, your process was backwards. In the SAAS world, idea/market validation and capital (either in the form of money or time) are your two most important resources. You want to maximize them.

Basic SAAS Process:

1. You form an idea based on something you've seen that needs improved upon, or something brand new you believe the market would pay for.
To keep thinks as straightfoward as possible. I started in web design wordpress et cetera then fb ads. Facebook ads were a discovery for me. I started making ads for people I know very well and they trust me. They are having B2C.

Based on this experience, I thought. "I am able to make money in this niche". That was in the summer of 2023. I tried to find customers other than my friends. And what kind of response did I get "these ads of yours are cool and effective but so what if I have to have a website to run them, why do I need a website when I now sell without one, websites are a relic". This was my main reason why I started writing saas

2a. Who has your audience (e.g. are you competing with Nike or Sketchers? Microsoft or the little guy next door?)
2b. What are they offering?
2c. Do you see any ways you can improve upon their offer? (avoid the "lowest price point" shtick. That's how you end up broke).
2d. Are people even paying for the service?

I have a lot of ideas what i can do better but i need time and money to implement this. the only thing that is a red flag is that this niche is already a bit tight.

3. MVP (Minimum viable product)

my mvp will be online this week and I have more or the same number of functions than some saas from my niche

4. Once your MVP is ready, you deploy it for feedback. Send it to people in the industry you're targeting. Most people I know create basic social media profiles to correspond with the launch of their MVP. This part can be difficult as it typically requires you have some type of footing in the industry. A lot of people that have been in industries for decades aren't going to test an app from some random, so you genuinely have to give them a reason to test it.

plans to devote time until May to what we will call beta testing. Based on the customers I have already had

5. If the feedback received is looking great, then you continue building from there. Try to get something launched ASAP, based off of your MVP, and then continue adding to it. Again, all of this being based on feedback.

If the feedback you receive is negative, then continue from there. What is your audience saying? Do they not like the UI? Is it difficult to read text? Or are they simply committed to the company/app they've been using for 30 years? You don't know until you ask.

The problem I have with this step is that the feedback I get will always be positive, so I want to take the time to see if my application actually works, prepare a precise offer for new customers and then try to get some feedback from other people from cold traffic.

I see I'm on step 4 of your list. The most important goal now for me will be to get any feedback. First of all, I need feedback on whether my saas works at all and produces better or worse results than my solutions before writing the first line of code in my system. Based on this, I will be able to prepare for beta tests with more people and with people I do not know.

Thank you very much for your reply it has clarified a lot of things for me.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Just a quick point on this, from the accountability call.

I think you would do well to focus on building your "market" rather than the product.

Having seen your app, it's not a SaaS that needs full testing / promotion. It's a local service which you hope to leverage into a marketing agency. Your plan is great. Give it 5 years and you have every chance of it being a CENTS business.

The way to get to that point, however, does not require you to have an app that's world beating. You're not competing with AirBnB on a technological basis. What you have now works fine and, even if there are bugs, you can fix them. I have worked on professional websites that are built worse than your app.

The primary thing you need is customers for your rental home owners. If you are able to get into a position where you can bring consistent new leads to homeowners from your app/system, you will have no problem getting home owners to sign up. In fact, they'll probably want to pay you for the privilege (similar to MJ's limos.com).

What I would be thinking about - if I were you - is how to get to a point where you have the means to attract British, French, German, Irish, Italian, Spanish, American holidaymakers to your app and have them sign up to rent your client's houses.

Yes, that means you will be competing with the likes of AirBnB. However, that is where your business is able to bring value - what can you do to "sell" more of your clients' rental home occupancy so they get chosen over AirBnB's? Can you make special offers? Bundle deals? Maybe you know some attractive girls you'd be able to work with to make some videos of the properties? Anything to give your rental accommodation an edge that others don't have.

This will take time and testing. But it's where your energy should be going - if you are able to build up a pipeline of customers who want to use your service, the rental side of it will eventually take care of itself.

One example you may be aware of is Site to rent Apartment-Flats & Rooms short/long term | Spotahome. This works similarly to what you're doing. A couple of years ago, when the UK was still in the EU, I wanted to live in Italy for a year. I was about to sign up for one of the apartments on that site but the couple renting it said they didn't want to for some reason. Regardless, I wasn't concerned about the rentals themselves, more the fact that there were places that could be picked and booked for months on end.

Why would I choose this rather than AirBnB? AirBnB is expensive and short-term only. SpotAHome is for longer rentals for months or years, which means that you're not getting hit with stupid charges for small issues. That's the sort of value skew you would do well to focus on developing.

Last edited:

szalek

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 21, 2023
Thanks for your answer as always is valuable.
The primary thing you need is customers for your rental home owners. If you are able to get into a position where you can bring consistent new leads to homeowners from your app/system, you will have no problem getting home owners to sign up. In fact, they'll probably want to pay you for the privilege (similar to MJ's limos.com).

This is actually my goal. That is, in starting now with ads because I need to see if I can generate new customers for landlords. This is also the answer to why I chose this niche. I have this opportunity to be able to test such solutions without looking for third parties. If I can duplicate my results from last year, further earnings will only depend on my self-promotion.

What I would be thinking about - if I were you - is how to get to a point where you have the means to attract British, French, German, Irish, Italian, Spanish, American holidaymakers to your app and have them sign up to rent your client's houses.

Thanks for your point i completly forget about audience from other countries. For now i have to focus on native audience is cheaper than german audience et cetera. I must add that i don't have any relevant expiernce with this acording to clarity about 92% people that was on my sites was from my country. So i will keep this in mind but now i must delivery any results

One example you may be aware of is Site to rent Apartment-Flats & Rooms short/long term | Spotahome. This works similarly to what you're doing. A couple of years ago, when the UK was still in the EU, I wanted to live in Italy for a year. I was about to sign up for one of the apartments on that site but the couple renting it said they didn't want to for some reason. Regardless, I wasn't concerned about the rentals themselves, more the fact that there were places that could be picked and booked for months on end.

One way of collecting real returing customers i though about was selecting a very small niche within a niche. I think making something that will have everything will be for nothing. Good example AlohaCamp.com | Start a new ADVENTURE in Nature!.
They have only chosen places for people who love nature etc. It's already done so I have to think of something that hasn't been done before. I think I already have an idea.... But first any results will be the direction of development

szalek

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 21, 2023
Some days passed by and I started to have some problems. Some big problems.
This is the place where I have more problems to overcome. How to promote myself.

My system is similar to MJ DeMarco's limos.com. One must register an account, then go through my verification and fill up his offer. His offer is now online and available in search results on my app. This process takes about 15 minutes. But to complete this process, one must register an account on my app firstly. So, I tried to start promoting my system on my social media channels that I own -
my FB group with about 230 people
and IG with about 120 followers.

That isn't a big number, but I thought that about 10 people would register. My system has been online for 10 days. About 200 people were on my system. And 2 had registered their accounts. No one had even started the verification process.
My strategy was to DM people on IG. I think I DM'd more than 200 people. Everyone could register in my system. ZERO FEEDBACK. Some people made small actions that i dm about but zero fully configured accounts.

Another channel that I opened was COLD CALLS. After the first call, I was excited. After 20 calls, my excitement turned into hating it. It's very stressful, and most of the people will hang up or say that they can't talk.

I plan to run LinkedIn, but I don't think I have anything to look forward to. The last thing I haven't tried is cold emails. A few people told me to send an email. Maybe this is an option that could work.

As far as I can see, I will have to invest some money in advertising to get some feedback. I thought people would be much more willing to sign up. I thought my copy that I would send out to people was good because that was the feedback I got from other people about that copy

but no matter which channel I choose, I have the same problem. This is my first start-up. In the past, I have always developed something that already exists. Here I have to do everything from scratch, whether adverts or Instagram. That is why I have a question for you: how do I develop my start-up? I hope that answers from more experienced people will supplement this element which I now feel lacking.

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016

This is the place where I have more problems to overcome. How to promote myself.

My system is similar to MJ DeMarco's limos.com. One must register an account, then go through my verification and fill up his offer. His offer is now online and available in search results on my app. This process takes about 15 minutes. But to complete this process, one must register an account on my app firstly. So, I tried to start promoting my system on my social media channels that I own -

That isn't a big number, but I thought that about 10 people would register. My system has been online for 10 days. About 200 people were on my system. And 2 had registered their accounts. No one had even started the verification process.
My strategy was to DM people on IG. I think I DM'd more than 200 people. Everyone could register in my system. ZERO FEED

Another channel that I opened was COLD CALLS. After the first call, I was excited. After 20 calls, my excitement turned into hating it. It's very stressful, and most of the people will hang up or say that they can't talk.

I plan to run LinkedIn, but I don't think I have anything to look forward to. The last thing I haven't tried is cold emails. A few people told me to send an email. Maybe this is an option that could work.

As far as I can see, I will have to invest some money in advertising to get some feedback. I thought people would be much more willing to sign up. I thought my copy that I would send out to people was good because that was the feedback I got from other people about that copy

but no matter which channel I choose,

My strategy was to DM people on IG. I think I DM'd more than 200 people. Everyone could register in my system. ZERO FEEDBACK. Some people made small actions that i dm about but zero fully configured accounts.

but no matter which channel I choose, I have the same problem. This is my first start-up. In the past, I have always developed something that already exists. Here I have to do everything from scratch, whether adverts or Instagram. That is why I have a question for you: how do I develop my start-up? I hope that answers from more experienced people will supplement this element which I

but no matter which channel I choose, I have the same problem. This is my first start-up. In the past, I have always developed something that already exists. Here I have to do everything from scratch, whether adverts or Instagram. That is why I have a question for you: how do I develop my start-up? I hope that answers from more experienced people will supplement this element which I

but no matter which channel I choose, I have the same problem. This is my first start-up. In the past, I have always developed something that already exists. Here I have to do everything from scratch, whether adverts or Instagram. That is why I have a question for you: how do I develop my start-up? I hope that answers from more experienced people will supplement this element which I now feel lacking.
After reading this I immediately thought of , watch the video on the rule of 100 by Alex Hormozi

View: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://m.youtube.com/shorts/Jf1za-_G2AY&ved=2ahUKEwioi7679LqFAxVRTqQEHb9lDz0QwqsBegQIDhAG&usg=AOvVaw3IPf5kyPaZ7iH0GlkXVogU

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.