The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Needs to be said... sell the DAMN motorcycle.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Risk/Reward analysis.

The death rate is too high to justify the sense of freedom in my opinion.

At least there is higher pay for less risky activities such as working in an oil rig or being stationed in Iraq.

Maybe a VR headset to simulate driving high speed vehicles can be used to mitigate the addiction.
You're certainly welcome to that opinion.

I don't get paid for riding my bike at all, so certainly any job would pay more and may be less risky. Being stationed in Iraq would be much more risky in my assessment.

I'm not addicted to speed. My normal cruising speed is 80kph (about 50mph) :rofl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
And this I totally understand. Why? Because if you screw up, you own it. It was your doing. I'd actually bet that racing motorcycles on a track (with other racers) is actually SAFER than riding a bike in traffic.
Yes, it is, especially in a large urban areas where traffic is a melee. There are still boneheads at the track, but the factors outside of your control are significantly less. Additionally mistakes are usually minimalized due to the safety aspects of racetracks - ie: no oncoming traffic to hit if you go down.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Two things:

1. A few years ago, while sitting at a stoplight, I got rear ended in my Mercedes S550 so hard that it was totaled. We bounced off of a SUV a in front of us as well. The headrests had charges in them that catch your head and save you from whiplash. They blew. My wife was even pregnant at the time.

We lived the rest of our day like it didn’t happen. We actually drove the totaled car home and then called the tow truck which is a testament to Mercedes badassery.

On a motorcycle, anyone would have easily been killed by the careless texting idiot. She never even applied the brakes.

2. We have some serious road work going on here. On a stretch of road nearby, there’s no shoulder and concrete walls surrounding two lanes.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a bad motorcycle accident. A couple of people trying to help him, but he was bleeding profusely in the street while the emergency vehicles were trapped a half mile back in wall to wall traffic. It was pretty sad to see. It didn’t look good.

Bryce Wolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 15, 2023
I'd actually been planning to buy my first motorcycle since January. I changed my mind after reading this thread, thank you MJ and everyone in the replies who brought it to light.

You can't walk shirtless on the beach in a wheel chair!

Venn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 22, 2019
Rome
Well I personally do own a bike, and I don't see any other possibility of transportation beside it. Living in Rome basically forces you to use some kind of scooter or motorcycle (I am not sure if anyone of U have ever been to Rome to see how the traffic looks like here, even my friends who are experienced driver's are scared to ride here).

Saying that I am not even a person who likes to take risks, but I have owned a car here and 2,5km drive might take you as well as 30 minutes (same as walking) and then you need another 40 minutes to find a parking spot, a nightmare.

I also feel like riding in these circumstances makes you alert in such a way that you can basically foresight what these idiots are gonna do (after all you are one of them riding a bike in such a hell) so you break even if you have green light etc.

I guess it depends where you live maybe in US your average speed that you move with within the city is higher, but here in Italy tons of people do not see any other way of moving from point a to point b.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
A few years ago, while sitting at a stoplight, I got rear ended in my Mercedes S550 so hard that it was totaled. We bounced off of a SUV a in front of us as well. The headrests had charges in them that catch your head and save you from whiplash. They blew. My wife was even pregnant at the time.
I was just going to say I have a bike that doesn't go above 60 km/h so I'm naturally limited from speeding but seeing that you could've died because of an idiot is not worth it.

It's one of those things where you keep delaying it and excuse until something bad happens to you.

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

Nevera

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 6, 2023
Croatia
Oh man, I would love to own and drive a motorcycle, I also came close to it. But there was this one time when my bookeeper gave me a short ride and I totally cooled off.

I am not gonna share the story here, but there’s plenty of evidence that “driving slowly and carefully” , which btw was my plan as well, doesn’t work on the bikes.

Case in point : That’s s what he said… - Video

P.S.
I also lost a friend a couple of years ago due to a motorbike accident.

#SellTheBike

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
crazy story, i had a bike years ago and was thinking of getting another one three years ago, in 2020. i was in eastern canada at the time, and did my knowledge + skills test. so i could ride alone.

it was around september 2020 at the time. and for some reason, i suppose due to covid, or some spiritual aspect, i had begun thinking about my childhood best friend - whom i had not spoken to in 16 years - since high school. it was just very random and i could not figure out why i was thinking about him.

a few weeks later in october 2020, lo and behold - that childhood best friend, found me through my YT channel (which is not really advertised). he asked to speak with me.

so we spoke - and it turned out he was in a horrific motorcycle accident. his leg was stitched all the way up to his balls, and half his nut sack was stitched as well. he almost lost his balls.

he was going on a green light when a lady taking a left turn from oncoming traffic, didn't see him. and hit him.

all he remember was waking up at the scene, seeing himself leaking blood, and passed out again. he only reached out to two people - his godmother, and me.

im not sure what that meant, but after that, i didn't get a bike...i felt that had to be a sign...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
and it turned out he was in a horrific motorcycle accident. his leg was stitched all the way up to his balls, and half his nut sack was stitched as well. he almost lost his balls.

Wow. Just wow.

But let's just guess... he had all the right gear. He made all the right decisions. He took all the precautions.

Now his balls are stitched to his legs because of some old lady in cognitive decline was in his proximity.

This describes half the people on the road...

Again, a probabilistic nightmare that invalidates good choices.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
Wow. Just wow.

But let's just guess... he had all the right gear. He made all the right decisions. He took all the precautions.

Now his balls are stitched to his legs because of some old lady in cognitive decline was in his proximity.

This describes half the people on the road...

Again, a probabilistic nightmare that invalidates good choices.
yeah, he was geared up and going the speed limit as well, on his way to work from what i recall. from what i last heard, he'd probably never walk again properly or have a limp. he's a plumber by trade so he's lucky he can still work at least.

the crazy thing was, he thought about getting another bike - but - after some talking with his family - decided it was not worth the risk to go through that again.

the whole story was just VERY eery because of how it went down and how he reached out to me, just crazy.

i suspect the trauma of the accident probably gave him some sort of near-death experience, perhaps he had a flashback to his childhood or something, i don't know.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Just sold mines today :frown:

I'm fortunate, i've gone unscathed, but my closest rider friends are a different story. The streets are unforgiving.

My bike has just been sitting these past 6 months, haven't had the time really enjoy it, and plus my friends are hanging up their helmets too.

Perhaps one day, I'll get into trail riding... Either on 2 wheels or 4 wheels:p

IMG_5616.jpgIMG_5615.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
i would only ride a motorcycle in @MJ DeMarco 's driveway and back yard! and then only if he isn't on the lawnmower!

I figured at least passenger wearing leather chaps on a Harley. :rofl:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
As expected, the driver didn't see him and was likely distracted.

Very sad for him and his family.

Although of course, we don't get to read headlines about the millions of people round the world, who ride motorbikes everyday and are fine after each journey. #observerbias

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's another one...

Although of course, we don't get to read headlines about the millions of people round the world, who ride motorbikes everyday and are fine after each journey. #observerbias

LOL.

Headline: Joe Blow dies of lung cancer after smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day.
Roli: #Observerbias

Deny probability all you want.

You also haven't read about all the motorcycle fatalities from random unknowns who don’t get a headline, unlike the actor, or the skiier, or the...

Truth has nothing to do with observation bias.

Your statement is about as relevant as, “We’ll just because 4% is greater than .006% doesn’t make it true, especially when it gets a headline.”

Math doesn't lie.

#denial.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Oh..
Accidents involving bikes can occur, and unfortunately, they can sometimes result in fatalities. However, it's crucial to remember that numerous factors contribute to these accidents, such as traffic conditions, infrastructure, rider behavior, and adherence to safety guidelines.

Yes, numerous factors. Numerous factors outside of your control.

"Although motorcycles make up only 3% of all registered vehicles and 0.6% of all vehicle miles traveled in the United States, motorcyclists accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities, 17% of all occupant fatalities, and 3% of all occupant injuries in 2021. A factor that directly influences motorcycle fatality trends is helmet use. (Explore helmet use trends)

Fatalities among motorcycle riders and passengers increased 8% from 2020 to 2021, while the rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled decreased by 2%. Over the last 10 years, deaths have increased 19%, while death rates have increased 29%. The number of motorcycle fatalities now stands at 5,932 and the rate is 30.05 per 100 million vehicle miles."

So for about 1/2 of 1 percent of all miles driven, motorcycles make up 14% of all traffic fatalities.

In contrast to the the number of motorcycle fatalities which ended up at 6,084, the total for all road user fatalities in 2021 was 42,939. Also, the death rate per 100 million vehicle miles is 1.37 vs 30.05 for motorcycles.

The charts below are great. The Deaths by Road User description and chart are particularly applicable.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
A lot of the comments here demonstrate how little is understood about risk. First, risk analysis is independent of individual outcomes. If you played one round of Russian roulette and won and your conclusion was that it was a smart decision, then you don't understand risk. Second, it doesn't matter at all about the existence of other hypothetical risks that are higher than motorcycle riding. Regardless of your beliefs about an afterlife, this is the only life you're guaranteed. Are you willing to take a much higher risk of dying or suffering serious, permanent injury just so you can drive a motorcycle instead of a car?

If your answer is yes, then at least make the choice with your eyes wide open: you are always at the mercy of the drivers around you and you are trusting that they are observant, giving driving their full attention, and that they understand the consequences of taking their eyes off the road even for a few seconds. One thing to note is that our intuition is built by our evolutionary adaption to our environment. We have no intuition about speeds like 50 mph because it is only recently that we could travel that fast. To put it into perspective, 50 mph is 73.3 ft/sec. The math here is very simple: 73 times the number of seconds distracted is how many feet you will travel without looking at the road. What does this have to do with intuition? We don't have a built-in fear of distracting ourselves for a few seconds when driving at 50+ mph because evolution hasn't had a chance to add it to our repertoire. So all of those drivers that you're trusting don't think anything about checking their phone or something else for a few seconds because you have to consciously remind yourself that you will travel (73*number_of_seconds) feet blind or distracted.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
another one for me is bunjee jumping or skydiving. the risk is extremely low of dying, but you don't need to die to not be a statistic. in other words, many people survive but their body is completely ruined.

watching that youtube channel "JointheTeem" with their Friday Freakout episodes, certainly sealed that off the bucket list for me.

I don't advise watching too many of these videos, they are honestly adrenaline inducing. The number of near catastrophic failures is crazy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZjxWlO6wg

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Here's another one...

LOL.

Headline: Joe Blow dies of lung cancer after smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day.

You also haven't read about all the motorcycle fatalities from random unknowns who don’t get a headline, unlike the actor, or the skiier, or the...

Your statement is about as relevant as, “We’ll just because 4% is greater than .006% doesn’t make it true, especially when it gets a headline.”

Math doesn't lie.

#denial.

My point was 14% of traffic fatalities are motorbikes (US figures) meaning 86% are not.

Of course they're more dangerous, you haven't got a steel cage around you when you're on one, however you are still more likely to die driving a car.

So I'm not denying probability, merely highlighting it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
however you are still more likely to die driving a car.

Wow, nice double down on the dumbest thing I've read on this forum this year. This also means I'm more likely to die of cancer simply because I breathe. Unlike breathing, I don't choose to ride a bike in a culture of distracted morons.

But then again, Twitter lost 66% of its value because you seem to struggle putting facts in context, you know, reality.

86% of fatalities are in cars because they represent 99.4% miles driven on the road.

Here even Google thinks you're nuts.

1686922371494.png

I hope you don't have a job making life-saving decisions based on your statistical acumen.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Here's another one...

LOL.

Math doesn't lie.

#denial.
24 years old. That is sad.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
My point was 14% of traffic fatalities are motorbikes (US figures) meaning 86% are not.

Of course they're more dangerous, you haven't got a steel cage around you when you're on one, however you are still more likely to die driving a car.

So I'm not denying probability, merely highlighting it.
Here's the part that you're missing: it's called standardization. Or often simplified to "comparing apples to apples." The reason standardization is so important is that it allows for accurate comparisons. In its absence, you make false conclusions like you posted.

Here's an example: if I make $1/second and you make $20/hour, without standardizing these numbers and using your above logic, you would conclude that you make more than me because $20>$1. But this is comparing apples to oranges. In order to compare apples to apples, we have to have the same denominator so we're comparing the same units. When you convert my $1/second to $/hour, I make $3600/hour, which is obviously more.

If you're going to compare the risk involved with different vehicles, you have to adjust the fatality percentages to reflect the difference in occurrence rate. Or to put it another way, you have to (as MJ pointed out) calculate the number of accidents that would occur given an EQUAL number of miles driven.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Here's the part that you're missing: it's called standardization. Or often simplified to "comparing apples to apples." The reason standardization is so important is that it allows for accurate comparisons. In its absence, you make false conclusions like you posted.

Here's an example: if I make $1/second and you make $20/hour, without standardizing these numbers and using your above logic, you would conclude that you make more than me because $20>$1. But this is comparing apples to oranges. In order to compare apples to apples, we have to have the same denominator so we're comparing the same units. When you convert my $1/second to $/hour, I make $3600/hour, which is obviously more.

If you're going to compare the risk involved with different vehicles, you have to adjust the fatality percentages to reflect the difference in occurrence rate. Or to put it another way, you have to (as MJ pointed out) calculate the number of accidents that would occur given an EQUAL number of miles driven.
*Laughs in Calculus*

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
and with that all being said, horseriding is now off the list for me:
"According to the data, there are roughly 0.14 serious injuries per 1,000 hours of riding on two wheels, while those on four hoofs suffer 0.49 injuries/1,000 hours."

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021

Close to 20% of fatal accidents on the road are motorcycling accidents. Motorcyclists make up 2-3% of the motorist population. Observerbias that

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
"Riding a motorbike is dangerous" is the kind of conventional wisdom that everyone knows is true but many have not taken it seriously enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.