The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need your feedback on my e-commerce website

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
Hey fastlaners,

I've been on this forum for a quite a while now and this is simply another attempt I made in order to start creating a small passive income for my future fastlane ventures. I'm currently looking for a job to start saving money but I would love to prove my parents wrong (they think I spend my days doing nothing and keep telling me to get a job as if it was the only way out in my case).

I've made an e-commerce website based on Shopify and would really appreciate your feedback on it. It's basically based on the idea of selling ''What's trending'' items directly to customers instead of them having to browse Ebay, Aliexpress, Amazon etc. I'm using the dropshipping method because it requires almost no budget and all of my current savings can go towards marketing.

So here's what I got : My website is called watchyourtrend.com and I've made one sale so far. I'm on Instagram and Facebook but Facebook groups are what drive the most traffic to the website. My posts can easily get over 100 likes in under a few hours and always bring new customers. Problem is, I have tons of visitors but also tons of abandoned checkouts. I've been trying to enhance the website since I've started working on it but no luck on that.

I've also been thinking of investing in an Instagram shout-out. I've found an account with around 64k followers and a pretty good engagement rate (10k likes and 200 comments per post) that is willing to charge me 20$ for a shout-out. Should I take it?

One of the methods I use is the ''free + shipping'' method which you probably have heard of. Does this look scammy to you people? I think the main reason people leave their cart is because of the ''hidden'' shipping fee they only see at the end of the payment (even though I clearly stipulate that shipping is required on my posts). Should I switch back to simply making the price 3x higher and offering free shipping? What should I improve on my site?

Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Disclaimer - website only viewed on mobile.

- The text over the images (on your header, and categories) is terrible. Bad font and white doesn't work on most of the images.

- Why is your story front and centre? How many ecommerce stores do you see with the "About us" before the stuff they sell? People are their to buy, not read.

- Seems to be no consistancy. If I'm there to buy a walking dead bangle thing, why am I also looking at a military mechanical watch?

How much of your traffic is mobile?

Last edited:

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
Disclaimer - website only viewed on mobile.

- The text over the images (on your header, and categories) is terrible. Bad font and white doesn't work on most of the images.

- Why is your story front and centre? How many ecommerce stores do you see with the "About us" before the stuff they sell? People are their to buy, not read.

- Seems to be no consistancy. If I'm there to buy a walking dead bangle thing, why am I also looking at a military mechanical watch?

How much of your traffic is mobile?
Thank you for the feedback and I appreciate the fact that this was viewed on a mobile device (I tend to forget about those users for some reason but they actually make up at least half of my visitors).

I read your feedback and moved the introduction text down to the bottom in order to leave as much space as possible for the products. I'm thinking about redesigning the slideshow and I'll follow your advice about making it less invasive.

Addressing the lack of consistency, the products that I list on this website are the ones that after analysis, are doing very well on large stores. That is why they are listed on the products list. I understand your point of view but I'm trying to make this store be suitable for pretty much every type of products that could get me potential customers.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
It's mentioned a lot on the forum but "try to sell to everyone, and you will sell to nobody"

That doesn't mean you can't sell all those products on the site, but you should be targeting in some way.

When you are advertising, drive targeted visitors to targeted pages. I click on an ad which says "military watches" that's all I care about. A walking dead bangle will throw me off

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Why no sales?
  • 3-5 week shipping time
  • "promotional" free items do not show shipping fees. Before anyone actually sees shipping fees they have to - Add to Cart > Add personal details > Add shipping address info > then you see $9.99 for shipping. I would not be happy to go through that process to find that out.
  • no testimonials and no trust elements on site.
Free plus shipping does not work how you've set it up. It actually requires a bit more sophistication to pull it off and to pull if off profitably.

BTW, expect some cease and desist legal notifications with all those IP infringements you're selling. Anything worth doing is worth doing legit.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
"trending" "products" on the "market"

All of these words are entrepreneur-speak. Is your target demographic entrepreneurs?

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
"trending" "products" on the "market"

All of these words are entrepreneur-speak. Is your target demographic entrepreneurs?
Wow, never thought about that until now. Well that's a bit embarrassing I must say. Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
Why no sales?
  • 3-5 week shipping time
  • "promotional" free items do not show shipping fees. Before anyone actually sees shipping fees they have to - Add to Cart > Add personal details > Add shipping address info > then you see $9.99 for shipping. I would not be happy to go through that process to find that out.
  • no testimonials and no trust elements on site.
Free plus shipping does not work how you've set it up. It actually requires a bit more sophistication to pull it off and to pull if off profitably.

BTW, expect some cease and desist legal notifications with all those IP infringements you're selling. Anything worth doing is worth doing legit.
Wrote down your comments and your last sentence made me realized how risky and low-grade selling those types of products actually is. But anything worth doing is worth doing no matter what the context is. I took action. Got in trouble. Fine, let it be. More experience for me.

I really appreciate your feedback.

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Let me ask... would you yourself buy this stuff from a random website?

Niche it right down to atleast the same or similar items.
Order the items you plan to sell to your own house (from aliexpress) and check them for quality and would you be happy to pay your stores retail price for it?, if not don't sell it. Why because you don't know what you're selling to people.
Create a sense of urgency.
Put a plugin on that atleast changes the persons currency to their home IP currency.
Fix up the main picture, a girl taking a photo of herself... what does that have to do with anything?
Also pay $20 for a shoutout, try it and see if it works.

Kabylfx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Aug 5, 2016
Let me ask... would you yourself buy this stuff from a random website?

Niche it right down to atleast the same or similar items.
Order the items you plan to sell to your own house (from aliexpress) and check them for quality and would you be happy to pay your stores retail price for it?, if not don't sell it. Why because you don't know what you're selling to people.
Create a sense of urgency.
Put a plugin on that atleast changes the persons currency to their home IP currency.
Fix up the main picture, a girl taking a photo of herself... what does that have to do with anything?
Also pay $20 for a shoutout, try it and see if it works.
Thanks for the comments man.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.