The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some help with identifying customer needs/problems.

Idea threads

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
Hello guys,

My name is Jimmy and I am new to this forum. I read all of MJ's great books and gained allot of great business knowledge from it.

I discovered a niche market I'd like to serve (people with motorhomes) and started asking questions on forums to understand their problems and needs. Unfortunately, no one has been willing to help. I'm posting on a Dutch forum, so perhaps it's a cultural issue or maybe the niche doesn't care about their own problems.

Has anyone had experience engaging with their niche market to identify problems and create valuable solutions? Is this an effective approach for generating business ideas?

This is what I'm trying to do in a nutshell :
1. Find a niche
2. Find problem/ pain in the niche
3. Deliver value by solving the problem
4. Keep improving and skewing value

I really do appreciate your time for a response, thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Jimmy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello guys,

My name is Jimmy and I am new to this forum. I read all of MJ's great books and gained allot of great business knowledge from it.

I discovered a niche market I'd like to serve (people with motorhomes) and started asking questions on forums to understand their problems and needs. Unfortunately, no one has been willing to help. I'm posting on a Dutch forum, so perhaps it's a cultural issue or maybe the niche doesn't care about their own problems.

Has anyone had experience engaging with their niche market to identify problems and create valuable solutions? Is this an effective approach for generating business ideas?

1. Find a niche

Kind regards,
Jimmy
Why motorhome?

Do you know any motorhome owners personally.

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
Why motorhome?

Do you know any motorhome owners personally.few

Why motorhome?

Do you know any motorhome owners personally.
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for you reply. I do know a few and I rented and did a trip myself a few days ago, but why this market is because I noticed there is quite allot of pain, most of these people are retired and have money to spend, and I'm sure this kind of people are easy to find.

Alexander Mish

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 3, 2023
Hello Kevin,

Thanks for you reply. I do know a few and I rented and did a trip myself a few days ago, but why this market is because I noticed there is quite allot of pain, most of these people are retired and have money to spend, and I'm sure this kind of people are easy to find.
Hey, Jimmy, please tell what pain do they have, and how would you solve it - do they even need this?
Have you engaged in the forum, or just came out of nowhere and asked for help? Have you messaged people directly?

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
Hey, Jimmy, please tell what pain do they have, and how would you solve it - do they even need this?
Have you engaged in the forum, or just came out of nowhere and asked for help? Have you messaged people directly?
Hey Alexander, thanks for your reply!

I've identified a few pain points myself when I rented a camper van but I would like to research this market without my own biased mind.

I do just came out of nowhere and started asking for help, sorry for that!

I found a few forums where I asked people about their problems but that didn't went well, it was my mistake and perhaps a little naive to ask for their help without providing any value for them.

I will now first start reading what people are complaining about and hope to find a pattern. When I find a pattern I will interview them in person.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
Hello guys,

1. Find a niche

Kind regards,
Jimmy
Are you looking to build a software?

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
Not sure yet. Depends on my findings
Well based on my experience, I believe the best method is not to ask questions but to spot problems within that niche.

Another thing you could do is find out what that niche is already paying for and see if you could do it better

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
Well based on my experience, I believe the best method is not to ask questions but to spot problems within that niche.

Another thing you could do is find out what that niche is already paying for and see if you could do it better
Thanks for your quick reply Cojo, how do you personally spot problems? Do you observe?

Hello_World1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
May 6, 2024
Arizona, USA
I see that allot but I can’t really identify significant problems I have myself.
Hey Jimmy,
I'm actually currently reading Unscripted right now and it has a pretty in depth section talking about how to find problems and how to train your brain to see opportunities. "Language" is the biggest one that stuck with me.

Maybe try going back and reading some of those sections to see if you can step-by-step apply it to your situation?
I remember something along the lines of "if you can't identify issues then you're saying it's "perfect" as is." and I HIGHLY doubt the motorhome industry is "perfect".

If you don't have the experience within the field to see "problems" if might not be the niche for you if you aren't ready to study the industry like a Wildlife reporter studies animals. For example, I have NO clue what dentists may struggle with on the day to day, and because I only see a dentist when I need something from them, I'm not immersed in that world organically enough to even be exposed to problems they may encounter.

I'd have to manufacture ways for me to be in "dental spaces" often enough and long enough to understand what they go through, and what their wants and needs are. PREFERABLY, without my presence becoming a burden for them.

I imagine a child who desperately wants to "help" but pesters the adult:
  • "Can you list ALL the things you need help with?"
  • "How do I help with that?"
  • "When can I help?"
  • "Using what tools?"
  • "Where are the tools again?"
  • "Is it the blue one?"
  • "Do you use the pine-scented cleaner on the sink or the floor?"
  • "Left to right? or up and down?"
It's just more work for the adults involved, and they NEED to get back to work and not babysit this (although VERY sweet and well-meaning) time and energy-draining person. (totally random example and not from experience at all, haha)

Good luck, friend! I am searching for opportunities too!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
and started asking questions on forums to understand their problems and needs. Unfortunately, no one has been willing to help
how many people did you ACTUALLY engage with / talk to / communicate with?
if you made 3 posts on a rarely visited forum with no responses in a week ..... then you still haven't done your part.

you need 25 customers. that might mean you have to talk to 1000 people. make 1000 posts. send 1000 emails.
Hormozi just made a good video on this talking about the level of prep / work needed to be great ......
View: https://youtu.be/m5ordaa7NN4?si=_pwvRG8lrycmBtMH

the level of work needed to get market feedback is a LOT higher than most think or are willing to do.
Get to work if you believe this is your niche and you can help people. Then report back with what you find and we'll help you get over the next hurdle. You got this!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

No. Your other hunch is almost certainly correct: these people have money and want to spend it to solve their problems.

how many people did you ACTUALLY engage with / talk to / communicate with?
if you made 3 posts on a rarely visited forum with no responses in a week ..... then you still haven't done your part.

you need 25 customers. that might mean you have to talk to 1000 people. make 1000 posts. send 1000 emails.
Hormozi just made a good video on this talking about the level of prep / work needed to be great ......
View: https://youtu.be/m5ordaa7NN4?si=_pwvRG8lrycmBtMH

the level of work needed to get market feedback is a LOT higher than most think or are willing to do.
Get to work if you believe this is your niche and you can help people. Then report back with what you find and we'll help you get over the next hurdle. You got this!

This. 1,000 is the MINIMUM. Bare MINIMUM.

And don't do a "survey" either. Actually offer something. If you've done motor home (I assume that means RV, that's the term I'm familiar with in English) trips, then recall the issues you had. Then recall how you tried to solve them.

How will you contact 1,000 motor home owners? You can't email them, you can't call them, so where do you GO? Forum is a good start but you're gonna have to stick around for a while to get the info you want. Also forum owners HATE when people come looking to sell stuff.

Facebook groups might help. And I would say: don't limit yourself to the Dutch. If you're in Europe, that means that motor home trips must span multiple countries. Talk to Germans, French, Polish. You might have the best luck talking to the British. In the US and Canada, RV trips are very popular, but things probably work differently here than where you are.

Maybe you go to every RV park (or the Dutch equivalent) and talk to everyone you meet. Maybe you go to every RV store in a 100km radius and ask the store owner questions about what they sell, and be honest about what you're trying to do. Show up not once, but multiple times.

"Bidt, en u zal gegeven worden; zoekt, en gij zult vinden; klopt, en u zal opengedaan worden."

But you gotta ask, you gotta search, and you gotta knock on the door!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
started asking questions on forums to understand their problems and needs
I've done better answering questions and generally just participating in communities rather than asking questions.

One is a Give, the other is a Take/Ask.

Oh, and just observing what people complain or ask about is useful. No need to even ask if they're already complaining.

I don't believe you need 1,000 of anything either btw.

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
Hey Jimmy,
I'm actually currently reading Unscripted right now and it has a pretty in depth section talking about how to find problems and how to train your brain to see opportunities. "Language" is the biggest one that stuck with me.

Maybe try going back and reading some of those sections to see if you can step-by-step apply it to your situation?
I remember something along the lines of "if you can't identify issues then you're saying it's "perfect" as is." and I HIGHLY doubt the motorhome industry is "perfect".

If you don't have the experience within the field to see "problems" if might not be the niche for you if you aren't ready to study the industry like a Wildlife reporter studies animals. For example, I have NO clue what dentists may struggle with on the day to day, and because I only see a dentist when I need something from them, I'm not immersed in that world organically enough to even be exposed to problems they may encounter.

I'd have to manufacture ways for me to be in "dental spaces" often enough and long enough to understand what they go through, and what their wants and needs are. PREFERABLY, without my presence becoming a burden for them.

• "When can I help?"
  • "Using what tools?"
  • "Is it the blue one?"
It's just more work for the adults involved, and they NEED to get back to work and not babysit this (although VERY sweet and well-meaning) time and energy-draining person. (totally random example and not from experience at all, haha)

Hey Jimmy,

• "When can I help?"
  • "Using what tools?"
  • "Is it the blue one?"

Hey Jimmy,

• "When can I help?"
  • "Using what tools?"
  • "Is it the blue one?"

Hello @Hello_World1 ,

Thanks for your reply and great feedback!

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
No. Your other hunch is almost certainly correct: these people have money and want to spend it to solve their problems.

This. 1,000 is the MINIMUM. Bare MINIMUM.

And don't do a "survey" either. Actually offer something. If you've done motor home (I assume that means RV, that's the term I'm familiar with in English) trips, then recall the issues you had. Then recall how you tried to solve them.

How will you contact 1,000 motor home owners? You can't email them, you can't call them, so where do you GO? Forum is a good start but you're gonna have to stick around for a while to get the info you want. Also forum owners HATE when people come looking to sell stuff.

Facebook groups might help. And I would say: don't limit yourself to the Dutch. If you're in Europe, that means that motor home trips must span multiple countries. Talk to Germans, French, Polish. You might have the best luck talking to the British. In the US and Canada, RV trips are very popular, but things probably work differently here than where you are.

Maybe you go to every RV park (or the Dutch equivalent) and talk to everyone you meet. Maybe you go to every RV store in a 100km radius and ask the store owner questions about what they sell, and be honest about what you're trying to do. Show up not once, but multiple times.

"Bidt, en u zal gegeven worden; zoekt, en gij zult vinden; klopt, en u zal opengedaan worden."

But you gotta ask, you gotta search, and you gotta knock on the door!
Hey @The-J ,

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes I noticed they really hated me on the forums✌️my mistake, I was a bit naive, anyway I will first observe them for some time and see what I can find.

Thank you!

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
I've done better answering questions and generally just participating in communities rather than asking questions.

One is a Give, the other is a Take/Ask.

Oh, and just observing what people complain or ask about is useful. No need to even ask if they're already complaining.

I don't believe you need 1,000 of anything either btw.
Hello @Andy Black,

Thanks for your reply. Thats what I will try now, I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks

Jimmyfromholland

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 26, 2024
Hello Guys,

Thanks all for your feedback, it's highly appreciated! Great to see that there are many like minded people out here ready to help!

These are my tasks for the next weeks :

• I am going to spend every day just observing multiple forums/FB groups/Reddit complaints etc.
  • In the weekend I am going to different RV parks to see if I can talk with some people and I will also visit some stores to see what kind of product they are currently buying and talk with the store owners.
  • After I identified a pattern around a problem, need, pain point I will dig more into it so fully understand everything.
Act, Assess, Adjust.

Hope I can understand the problems of the market and then create a valuable solution.

I am going to post my feedback here every week so perhaps this thread will help somebody in the future.

Thanks again, and best to all of you!

Cheers,
Jimmy

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
IMG_4156.png
The forum doesn’t allow copy pasting ai content.

So I will upload pic instead.

It could give you some ideas.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.