The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Marketing, social media, advertising

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I discovered a phenomenon recently that probably should have been obvious. I have some marketing programs that I wanted to track. For example, did someone come to me because of a convention, or as a referral from another organization, or are they a repeat client from a larger business?

Naturally, I had a "discount code" added to the site, as many do. We offer enough incentive to the people getting the codes to cause them to use the codes. In exchange we get information.

The other result is that now we get calls asking "what discount code can I use?" Um, you can't. Then the same person will leave an after-hours message "so and so at your company said I qualify for a discount code, but I forgot to put it in. Please apply a discount to my order." Puerile. Some people can not let things go. Personally I would be like, ok there's not discount today.

Well here are two things to consider.

1. You can name that field "referral code," and then it will not drive certain types of people crazy. I haven't tested this yet, but it seems likely to work. Other less obvious names might work too.

2. Make a "special" discount code for anyone who asks, or anyone who goes to those annoying discount code sites (that store all the codes for various companies, and give them away). You give them like an 11 cent discount. And bonus, you can use that code in your database to find all of your discount-sensitive shoppers. You might be able to use that later to market to people who are discount-obsessed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
My friend and sales exec rebels against the idea of giving away a fake discount code that gives people a $1.33 discount. I thought it was funny :< Oh well, I guess we'll just rename the form field.

Steven D.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Sep 6, 2018
Hawaii
My friend and sales exec rebels against the idea of giving away a fake discount code that gives people a $1.33 discount. I thought it was funny :< Oh well, I guess we'll just rename the form field.
That's really funny! Some people do tend to rebel against discount codes. Yet, consumers like deals, even if it's $1.33... I'm always amazed at the number of people willing to sign up for a credit card they don't need, just to receive 20% off in a store. This is a great thread! In the spirit of coupon codes I want you to have access to my newest content 100% free: Professional Persuasion | Udemy

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.