The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My startup progress that will buy me a Ferrari

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
One of the good developers was back , and asked me just more time , however he never come back , this delay cause me to kind of loose interest in the project , and since my last post I have no big progress.
Plan :
dedicate 30 minute daily to progress in this project .

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Something strange happening , every time I give a developer access to my code (repo ) they apologize and say they cant do it , either they find it too hard to start or they think they have the code and they can do something with that , especially I dont sign them NDA , keep hiring and keep running out.
So yesterday I started coding myself, which is not good since as entrepreneur I should not spend my time coding , instead building the business, but since things are moving slow , I have to.
The booming in real estate market also scattered my attention , as the plan was to put some money in real estate, but it is taking too much time from .
I have created a schedule and have to respect this schedule to finish this app .

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Something strange happening , every time I give a developer access to my code (repo ) they apologize and say they cant do it , either they find it too hard to start or they think they have the code and they can do something with that , especially I dont sign them NDA , keep hiring and keep running out.
So yesterday I started coding myself, which is not good since as entrepreneur I should not spend my time coding , instead building the business, but since things are moving slow , I have to.
The booming in real estate market also scattered my attention , as the plan was to put some money in real estate, but it is taking too much time from .
I have created a schedule and have to respect this schedule to finish this app .

Are you using the cheapest developers? That might be the problem.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Are you using the cheapest developers? That might be the problem.
They are cheap but not the cheapest, however non of them complained about the money, they just find some strange reasons like my father is sick , blah blah blah.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I read through your thread and I understand why you feel stuck. You are tired of this very long project. I can't tell you how many times over the years, I've had to jump in and help by doing at least part of the work myself. It's a classic situation for the person building a business. It's all part of being the boss.

(When the cook doesn't show up, the boss must flip the burgers. That's why I never wanted to buy a fast-food shop.)

But, I must say that I'm not too good (or too important) to do anything that I would hire another person to do. I'm in the real estate business. If a toilet needs to be cleaned, where is the brush? I'll do it. If I see trash, I pick it up and properly dispose of it. I also make sure that everyone has the planning and the materials to do their jobs -- and the monies to pay for the workers and those materials. Most of all, I make sure that I'm cheerfully doing all the parts of my job.

No, I don't always get what I think I'm paying for from people who I hire. Yes, there are times I must step in and help with the hands-on tasks -- like you have had to do. I'm saying that you're in good company.

Just don't give up. My Grandmother used to remind me that it's always darkest before the dawn. Keep putting in the time. It all counts.

Also, find some kind of joy in what you are doing. If the happiness in the whole project is contained in a someday-sexy-car, it will be hard to continue to move forward. I have learned that happiness is all about the journey, not the ending. I know it sounds trite, but believing that truism makes the daily activities go better. It's no longer just a grind.

D

Deleted50669

Could be a problem of inexperienced hires, or experienced hires that see the way your repo is architected and want no part of it because of lingering bad architectural patterns. Legacy code issues is the number on reason why you never hire bad devs. It will haunt you throughout the duration of your company's existence.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I read through your thread and I understand why you feel stuck. You are tired of this very long project. I can't tell you how many times over the years, I've had to jump in and help by doing at least part of the work myself. It's a classic situation for the person building a business. It's all part of being the boss.

(When the cook doesn't show up, the boss must flip the burgers. That's why I never wanted to buy a fast-food shop.)

But, I must say that I'm not too good (or too important) to do anything that I would hire another person to do. I'm in the real estate business. If a toilet needs to be cleaned, where is the brush? I'll do it. If I see trash, I pick it up and properly dispose of it. I also make sure that everyone has the planning and the materials to do their jobs -- and the monies to pay for the workers and those materials. Most of all, I make sure that I'm cheerfully doing all the parts of my job.

No, I don't always get what I think I'm paying for from people who I hire. Yes, there are times I must step in and help with the hands-on tasks -- like you have had to do. I'm saying that you're in good company.

Just don't give up. My Grandmother used to remind me that it's always darkest before the dawn. Keep putting in the time. It all counts.

Also, find some kind of joy in what you are doing. If the happiness in the whole project is contained in a someday-sexy-car, it will be hard to continue to move forward. I have learned that happiness is all about the journey, not the ending. I know it sounds trite, but believing that truism makes the daily activities go better. It's no longer just a grind.
Thanks for your encouraging answer, I am not ashamed from programming , as my full time job is programing , the reason I dont want to do the programming for this project, is because this is never end task, yes software development is cycle with no ending point, and I dont want to be sinked in this cycle like many developers and they miss building the business .
I am not really doing this for buying expensive car, I love coding and designing app, but if you really slow in getting results you will loose interest over the time , and to be honest after some time you will loose the desire to start even a new project, because deep down you know it will never see the sun light.

Could be a problem of inexperienced hires, or experienced hires that see the way your repo is architected and want no part of it because of lingering bad architectural patterns. Legacy code issues is the number on reason why you never hire bad devs. It will haunt you throughout the duration of your company's existence.
My code follow the best industry practices, whether the backend or the front end , front end I use angular and to make it easy for them I asked them to just work inside one component and use unit test to verify their work , so they dont have to worry about the rest of the project, but even with that they seem not motivated, tasks are easy for any average developer , create form , verify data, send data to backend API , etc.
I dont have legacy code, try to keep the libraries up to date as possible, I have CI and CD in place to verify the PRs. and during interview I ask them all the question that make me sure they can handle the task , like I said I am developer myself so no one can fool me of how much the have experience when it come to tech stack I use.

D

Deleted50669

Thanks for your encouraging answer, I am not ashamed from programming , as my full time job is programing , the reason I dont want to do the programming for this project, is because this is never end task, yes software development is cycle with no ending point, and I dont want to be sinked in this cycle like many developers and they miss building the business .
I am not really doing this for buying expensive car, I love coding and designing app, but if you really slow in getting results you will loose interest over the time , and to be honest after some time you will loose the desire to start even a new project, because deep down you know it will never see the sun light.

My code follow the best industry practices, whether the backend or the front end , front end I use angular and to make it easy for them I asked them to just work inside one component and use unit test to verify their work , so they dont have to worry about the rest of the project, but even with that they seem not motivated, tasks are easy for any average developer , create form , verify data, send data to backend API , etc.
I dont have legacy code, try to keep the libraries up to date as possible, I have CI and CD in place to verify the PRs. and during interview I ask them all the question that make me sure they can handle the task , like I said I am developer myself so no one can fool me of how much the have experience when it come to tech stack I use.
Did you give them a hard deadline? Work will always take as long as time is given.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Did you give them a hard deadline? Work will always take as long as time is given.
I give them weekly deadline , by dividing the task to small steps , and each step have to finish within a week . This is a way to make sure there is a progress , if they say this is too much I divide it to smaller part.

D

Deleted50669

I give them weekly deadline , by dividing the task to small steps , and each step have to finish within a week . This is a way to make sure there is a progress , if they say this is too much I divide it to smaller part.
Sounds like you're micromanaging, they are probably disengaging because of it. That or they dont know what they're doing. Only two explanations that would make sense really.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Sounds like you're micromanaging, they are probably disengaging because of it. That or they dont know what they're doing. Only two explanations that would make sense really.
No micromanagement, weekly or biweekly deadline tasks is normal in software development companies, if you cant show any progress after week of coding you might have a problem.
it could be they don't know what they are doing, but like I said the tasks I give to them usually are easy to medium in difficulty. I leave architecture and hard parts to myself since I know to such task I need far more experienced and expensive developers.

I also have another theory, I think many freelancers are not looking for serious projects even if it is pay them , they mostly look for simple modifications or small size projects that doesn't require from them to understand all the picture, they simply dont want to invest in these projects as for them it is not worth since it is temp job.

D

Deleted50669

No micromanagement, weekly or biweekly deadline tasks is normal in software development companies, if you cant show any progress after week of coding you might have a problem.
it could be they don't know what they are doing, but like I said the tasks I give to them usually are easy to medium in difficulty. I leave architecture and hard parts to myself since I know to such task I need far more experienced and expensive developers.

I also have another theory, I think many freelancers are not looking for serious projects even if it is pay them , they mostly look for simple modifications or small size projects that doesn't require from them to understand all the picture, they simply dont want to invest in these projects as for them it is not worth since it is temp job.
Yea I'd imagine a big portion of the freelancer population is company wash outs honestly. People that couldn't cut it in a serious development role. The really good ones would just start their own firm, the average dev probably sits in some startup or enterprise.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
After a week from now, I ll have a junior software developer joining my company, this is the first official hiring I am doing for a local person , the government will be his salary and I have to pay the rest of expenses , in return he will gain experience and get trained with me to built his skills .
He is computer engineer , but not the bright type, he is learning from scratch , but promised he is going to get up to speed and he is already learning now.
The reason I hired :
1- I like the idea that my business have employees (even though it is a fake event in term of real success )
2- his salaries are paid by government for 3 months.
3- I am tired from overseas freelancers who are not serious about the work.
4- I ll gain experience managing and leading other people , which I didnt have it in the official way I ll have it.

Lets see how this experience will be

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
So this week I hired a new developer, seem really know what he is doing, I am paying him double of what I usually pay for others , but that is to buy some time to finish my project, I want my MVP to be ready soon , so I decided to pay him what he want as long as I am getting more into making my MVP ready.
He delivered his first code , looks clean , however he changed some stuff without consulting with me and that could trigger more work to me , so I asked him to correct them .
Regarding my scripted life, I have moved to a new software company that less micro manage their employees, they are happy to have me since I have a lot of technical and business skills, also I dont feel so exhausted at the end of work day, unlike my previous job when it was sucking all my focus and energy.
So two things now changes :
1- My budget for developers increased in order to speed up building the MVP
2- I have more energy after my day job to work on this project .

Risks :
Paying developers this rate might not be sustainable.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Another big millstone was done today, I have a developer who was able to complete the core part of my software, I paid him a lot, and I have literary to test every thing he did.
While progressing slowly however I am now more near to the end line than the start. I want to complete this project and try to market it , I am sure that will gain me a lot of experience that will open more doors to me. without product on hand you have nothing.
I am also distracted in other kind of investments, but after each evaluation I see doing this software is what really will fullfill all my desires.
The urge to have my own business pushing me to some wrong directions, so I want to control this urge to have the right business .

next steps :
Finish the web version
Package the web version into mobile app for ios and android , I was reading about native script, hopefully it will help me generate android and ios apps quickly.

I also built a good CI /CD on azure, so far the free layer is enough for me , except the SQL database I am paying for. I am not going to make my app cloud first as it seem running apps on cloud is too expensive , especially for startups that are not generating revenue .

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Finally 3 developers working on my project
Backend developer
Front end
Fullstack
I can say all of them are mid range developers , usually need my help in advance stuff. and all of them working part time , but collectively I am progressing , I estimate within one month the software should be ready to go to market.
So far not sure who will be my customers since my software can be used by a lot of businesses and personals.
My spending spiked , but I want to reach a point of completion.
I am also learning how to manage team of developers which is a good thing.
Azure DevOps was very helpful for me, I was able to build all the system of development for almost free .

People around me think it is a waste of time and some fake action I am doing to pretend I have a start-up , the thing is they are afraid of its success because they know if it succeed I ll boom financially.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Tomorrow I have meeting with outsourcing company to provide me with a full time developer. although I have currently 3 developers but they are not putting enough hours to move in the speed I was wishing . one of the problem with full time developers is that they waste a lot of time. but I decided to give it 2 weeks trial to see how things will go.

Grants, I keep hearing about grants but so far I couldn't get one, the grant now needed to fund the hires, and I need some hires at this moment.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
It was good two months, hired many developers (freelancers ) who started doing progress in my project, in fact I am now more happy and more confidant that my product will see success, the development could be faster, and I am increasing the speed gradually, this Monday a full time developer will start, he is not a freelancer, instead I used outsourcings company to find a developer, the company looks legit and my condition was to communicate directly with the developer. my freelancers also working but on slower pace.
I am spending money since they are working hourly rate, I tried fixed amount , but they cant make it per requirements, also they cut corners internally .
Here is the good things:
  • Learned project managements and Software Development management.
  • Learned to spend money on my projects, used to have my projects built for almost free, which I think it contributed to why it never get converted to real business
  • Happy that I ll have a startup , will it make money ? I dont know , but I will be happy just to have a SaaS product in the market .
  • Somehow my scope to the life increased, sound like when you are manager or business owner have wider angel to look at the life.
Things went bad :
  • Developers work have bugs, and these bugs get fixed and create new bugs. part of that I am to blame , I dont have QA .
  • Spending is increased , and now I want to release the project to get grant before I am out of money
  • My vision changed many time which lead to postphone release date of MVP.
  • Each new developer I have to get him familiar with the product.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
At my current job as a software developer I told my manager in the beginning to stop assigning me lots of tasks and stop trying to artificially increase the speed. Instead, I focused on the code quality and the architecture to prevent bugs. Although I had a lot of tasks to solve, this skyrocketed the speed so much that after one month I was able to solve tasks in a week instead of the planned month. After a year I could reduce my working time from 8 hours a day to 1 hour a day while still achieving every goal.

Software development is just like money management. You can either spend money (focus on speed) or invest it (focus on code quality and architecture).

Also, how exactly do you assign tasks? If the developers are more experienced it might be a great idea to let the developers co-decide on the tasks in a similar way to the Sprint Planning in the SCRUM framework.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
At my current job as a software developer I told my manager in the beginning to stop assigning me lots of tasks and stop trying to artificially increase the speed. Instead, I focused on the code quality and the architecture to prevent bugs. Although I had a lot of tasks to solve, this skyrocketed the speed so much that after one month I was able to solve tasks in a week instead of the planned month. After a year I could reduce my working time from 8 hours a day to 1 hour a day while still achieving every goal.

Software development is just like money management. You can either spend money (focus on speed) or invest it (focus on code quality and architecture).

Also, how exactly do you assign tasks? If the developers are more experienced it might be a great idea to let the developers co-decide on the tasks in a similar way to the Sprint Planning in the SCRUM framework.
The way I assigned the tasks is by having a meeting and I describe all the details besides that I tonight some of the requirements if they are complex and show them some examples of how it should look like, most of the developers are intermediate developer and they need some guidance also they need some technical help for example yesterday one of the developers put one of the user interfaces in type script and it was slow but he couldn't know why it is a slow until I checked the code and I found his excessively using moment.js , I don't think what you are describing work here because they are developing something that doesn't exist they are not only maintaining the product like many developers work instead they have to build every interface from the ground up. And this is one of the problem I have until the developer start having good understanding of the product and it's ins and outs they leave.
I tried some high experience developers as a freelancers but they were worse than the others because they come to freelancing in hoping they can do a lot of work a short time because of their high experience but usually the work they delivered it's not as per the requirement because they don't spend enough time to analyze and think instead they just quickly get the idea and they try to implement it and usually such a good work is not a production work so I prefer less experience developers because they are more humble and they listen carefully to the requirement and take the project more seriously.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
The way I assigned the tasks is by having a meeting and I describe all the details besides that I tonight some of the requirements if they are complex and show them some examples of how it should look like, most of the developers are intermediate developer and they need some guidance also they need some technical help for example yesterday one of the developers put one of the user interfaces in type script and it was slow but he couldn't know why it is a slow until I checked the code and I found his excessively using moment.js , I don't think what you are describing work here because they are developing something that doesn't exist they are not only maintaining the product like many developers work instead they have to build every interface from the ground up. And this is one of the problem I have until the developer start having good understanding of the product and it's ins and outs they leave.
I tried some high experience developers as a freelancers but they were worse than the others because they come to freelancing in hoping they can do a lot of work a short time because of their high experience but usually the work they delivered it's not as per the requirement because they don't spend enough time to analyze and think instead they just quickly get the idea and they try to implement it and usually such a good work is not a production work so I prefer less experience developers because they are more humble and they listen carefully to the requirement and take the project more seriously.
My approach worked twice for developing apps from scratch. To be honest, I'd rather develop apps from scratch than maintaining bad-designed code. Creating an entire framework like OpenCV is indeed complex though.

But I am not here to judge your way of work. Instead, since you have mentioned Typescript, do you mind me taking a look into the code and the requirements of your project? Since I'd like to switch to freelance after December I'd love to see what real-world projects look like in freelance.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Getting more busy , have now :
1 part time QA
2 part time developers
1 out sourcing software company .
3 volunteers students working on marketing website of this software.

Spending is under control, moved from employment to work as contractor , doubled my hourly rate so I can now continue spending on my project.
Project is moving in acceptable speed , however there are many bugs to make it production ready. However I am investing this time in adding some good features and enable payment from day one , as without payment no chance to make money.
I am learning how to manage people , solve conflicts.
Getting too business although trying to put them on auto pilot as much as I can . My wife is not happy being too much busy and seem like my personal life is affecting.
The big expensive is the software company I hired from India , the only reason I hired them because it is very hard to find experienced freelancer in angular who know its ins and outs .Also the developer come with product manager so I don't have to deal with everything .

With working as contractor everything is good except the idea that every 6 month the contract can be renewed or terminated . however it is a risk I accepted, and will try to get into another contract .
Back to my SaaS , I am really excited to reach the point of release , the only blocker now is the front end bugs, if this get solved the MVP will be ready for the market.

Cloud wise , my bill start getting around 100 -200 per month because of custom domain that require a non paid plan. However it is giving me a huge benefit also good experience working on cloud resources . so for now I am okay .

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Getting more busy , have now :
1 part time QA
2 part time developers
1 out sourcing software company .
3 volunteers students working on marketing website of this software.

Spending is under control, moved from employment to work as contractor , doubled my hourly rate so I can now continue spending on my project.
Project is moving in acceptable speed , however there are many bugs to make it production ready. However I am investing this time in adding some good features and enable payment from day one , as without payment no chance to make money.
I am learning how to manage people , solve conflicts.
Getting too business although trying to put them on auto pilot as much as I can . My wife is not happy being too much busy and seem like my personal life is affecting.
The big expensive is the software company I hired from India , the only reason I hired them because it is very hard to find experienced freelancer in angular who know its ins and outs .Also the developer come with product manager so I don't have to deal with everything .

With working as contractor everything is good except the idea that every 6 month the contract can be renewed or terminated . however it is a risk I accepted, and will try to get into another contract .
Back to my SaaS , I am really excited to reach the point of release , the only blocker now is the front end bugs, if this get solved the MVP will be ready for the market.

Cloud wise , my bill start getting around 100 -200 per month because of custom domain that require a non paid plan. However it is giving me a huge benefit also good experience working on cloud resources . so for now I am okay .
Stop for a hot minute and pay attention to your wife. Take her on a date. It's a lot less disruptive and cheaper than a divorce. You need her on your side.

Edit: You can start by telling you how much you love her. That would go a long ways.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Product get expanded to have more important features , however that delayed its release to the market. from this week, from this week , the focus will be on releasing the product to the market. Financial wise , my contractor job provide me good financial resources to keep hiring people, on the other hand , it is more hard than employment and I feel more tired at the end of day than I was feeling when I was employee, there is a reason they hire contractor , to drop all their shit software on someone. However if I stayed in this contract for 1 year , most likely I can afford to not work for 2 months , so hopefully this will payoff at the end .
the students team doing well , but not impressed by what they are doing , the only reason I am with them is they are doing my marketing website for free, however most likely I will need to hire someone after them to sharpen the website.
Lesson learned :
Dont expect sudents to produce professional results, and if you are not loosing money you might be loosing time.
Think well in your product and its features, I had to redo many of its part and thus increase my spending .
Dont be shy to go to the market with your product, as long as it offer the basic functionality you want.
#1 product require #1 team
When people who report to you are angry don't take it personally , they might be frustrated from something.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
So I have assigned one of my developer to be a product manager and make sure the product will be released to public. he know what product manager do , but he doesn't have that experience, the plus side is I don't have to pay 40$/h for a real product manager who may or may not succeed .
The target date is Feb 19 for alpha release to go public.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Today was a bad day for my Startup , the front end development team wasted many paid days with nothing, this is after I paid one month in full for this software company , as I used to pay them every 15 day, but they kept asking to pay every month since they already delivered a lot of good work so I agreed, I have another meeting with them but it seem this month will not be a easy month with them.

During our testing for first release to public , I found one of my back end developers implements some stuff wrong , and he didn't even tell me , now I have to rework some parts that I thought it is already done , luckly it is backend so I can do it without hiring another developer, but himself resigned as he didn't like to take responsibility of his wrong work or why he didn't test it as he said and confirmed to me .

However I know this is a moment of truth and many issues will arise until we have the release go to public. I hope I could take one month off and dedicate myself to this start-up to fix and lead , but I have to work to pay my bills.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Finally things started getting into the right direction :
My day job contract currently is not busy , in fact I am idle almost 6 hours out of 8 , which gave me time to work on my project , and I started with Front End project that is built in Angular 10 and TypeScript , and to my surprise most developers who worked on this project treat it as javascript project , too many variables , too many global methods , it was a big mess, and that cause to have too many issues and bugs .
So I started refactoring it to improve what I can improve, as if it is stay as it is now , we will never have it stable and working I ll wipe almost 60% of current code base .
The students team that was working on marketing website I almost gave up from them , just felt I am giving too much energy to them while they are careless, they really not interested in any thing to learn or do , they are just trying to do bare minimum to get a pass degree, although my agreement with them and their prof to have production ready website.

The Agency developer seemed slow until I started review her code everyday , now she is working more seriously also I threatened the agency that I ll not hire them again if they lower their coding standards and productivity to under what they show me in trial period.
Is it worth hiring agency for a developer or just hire a freelancer?
Pros :
  • You know he will not leave any time soon and leave you in the middle.
  • They try to finish the task in the end even if not in the quality you want , while freelancers just run and ghost you.
  • More predictable and with this agency they have UX team that let developer build nice UIs while usually freelancers fell short here.
Cons :
  • They charge more hourly rate (almost double).
  • Not sure if they are really working 40 hour per week for your project.
  • They ask upfront payment.

Things learned :
Do not trust any developer code until they prove themselves, there is a lot of way to make it look good but the code base is trash .
Never hire volunteer students for serious work , remember they all what care about is to pass their course.
Don't get overwhelmed with issues they might not seem bad as they look .
Don't burn bridges with people.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I am idle on my day job , although I am billing them and they know I am billing them 40 hours a week , they are not giving me any real work , all what we need to do is wait until some one need help and so far no one needed. This gave me a great opportunity to work on my project , as I am working in this idle time on my project that progressed really good now I am giving it 6 hours a day, I was able to refactor the angular project (Front end ), and my angular skills have been refreshed and improved. which was one of my week points in this project.
I have removed 40% of unnecessary code from my project and fixed its architecture, I cant believe how some developers solve some issue , they have created countless number of parameters to track state and countless number of functions, no wonder too many bugs we have. Now it is more clean and less buggy since each info is stored once and no duplicate code.

The developer that I promoted to Product Manager is working good, hopefully that can delegate some responsibilities to him.
The Software Agency developer is performing below average, she almost finish the work double of what we estimate if not more, and that causing the cost of the project to go high , already started looking for new developer, as I think the amount I am paying them is not worth the work delivered.

Azure Cloud :
I had to increase DB power to next level also move to Basic plan for hosting , which make my payment jump to 128 $ per month on average.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Angular developers seem a rare species, I never expect to find shortage in angular developers since it is very popular framework , but for some reason I am keep failing to find a good angular developer who know what he is doing. This week I spent refactoring my front end code base, and so far I am not impressed by what the developers are doing, so I had to let them go, and a new angular developer will start next week, she seem good during the interview , although I can rate her average , but average if enough for what I want , at least she know some best practices and work full time job as angular developer.

Regarding the students team, I have given up on them , it was a complete a waste of time to hire volunteer students. at the end of this month I ll revoke their access to my dev tools and report their progress to their professor.

Last edited:

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Today I have a conversation with the manager of software agency about their inexperienced developer, and it was clear they are not willing to change it unless I sign with them long term contract, so I decided to not renew their contract once it ends by the end of this month.
On the the hand my morals are getting low because of all these issues I am facing to get it to public release stage, I need some break to recharge my energy , maybe this long weekend will help me restore my energy.
Another reason I am feeling like that is that I am watching YouTube while working and found that draining my brain power to focus on many stuff on the same time. as I have paid membership to YouTube and that make me able to switch between videos very fast with ads.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.